Author Topic: What did Prater say about MP's departure?  (Read 9258 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What did Prater say about MP's departure?
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
I was just coming to post that.

Ah, those were the days.  Rich Wilson, the hero!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 10:18:09 AM »
Wow, just read that.  Amazing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »
That was, indeed, amazing.

Such a magical place, this forum.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »
Yeah, I read back through some of it as well.

Glorious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
I have to be honest, as much as I struggled to appreciate Prater's....personality....his ideas and what he did with Dream Theater really do speak for themselves. 

And yeah, that thread was 100% pure, organic awesomesauce  :corn

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 11:27:54 PM »
Oh David Prater.  Hearing him and MP talk shit about each other is like watching a pissing match between two bulls. 

I have to admit, I do think it's a little more entertaining than a pissing match between two bulls... Or at least, so I would imagine, I've never actually seen a pissing match between two bulls.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 04:47:51 AM »
How can you be kicked out of a band you founded?

== >> because of a controlling and obsessive compulsive behavior maybe ?  :loser:
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 07:55:29 AM »
I found this to be an ironic quote from that thread...

A quote from 'Snake Eyes'
A lot of DT's newer albums will be sonically dated in a few years (downtuned guitars, growling vocals, all that 'heavy' stuff DT does now).  Are we going to go blaming Portnoy for that stuff in 10 years?

INB4 MP BASHING TIME.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 09:48:46 AM »
😌 It's perfectly ok to blame Portnoy for everything. Even MM wearing a headband.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
LOL Prater and MP in the same thread title.  Talk about double jeopardy.   :lol

:lokked:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
😌 It's perfectly ok to blame Portnoy for everything. Even MM wearing a headband.

Wait, MP is responsible for that? 

Now I hate every DT drummer ever!!!!!!   :millahhhh

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
I found this to be an ironic quote from that thread...

A quote from 'Snake Eyes'
A lot of DT's newer albums will be sonically dated in a few years (downtuned guitars, growling vocals, all that 'heavy' stuff DT does now).  Are we going to go blaming Portnoy for that stuff in 10 years?

INB4 MP BASHING TIME.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
Well that made me laugh. That being said they should have a dt portnoy reunion. I would see it. Both drummers, full band, choir, orchestra, fireworks and apple pie.

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »
I didn't want to make another thread about David Prater, so I figured I'd ask here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9VnmnrduK4

In this video, around the 5:10 mark, you can see two guys at the mixing board. Which guy is David Prater and which guy is Doug Oberkircher? Just curious.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 10:59:21 PM »
I think Prater is the one on the right with the darker hair.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 11:08:14 PM »
Okay yeah, I think you may be right. Looking at part 5 of that video, he definitely seems to be giving the orders.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »
I just tried Googling pictures of both guys, and that seemed to fit.

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 11:22:33 PM »
Yeah, I tried to Google "David Prater" and I'm pretty sure the result I got is not the guy who produced Images and Words.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »
Yeah, I got that. He's some district attorney or something. :lol I narrowed it down with "producer".

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 11:38:55 PM »
Yeah, I got that. He's some district attorney or something. :lol I narrowed it down with "producer".

Prater has the sunglasses.  Doug has the feathered hair.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
Prater is playing drums/BGV circa '86.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CChOeRmWUE

When you did that did you read the article about his experience down in Austin? Guy's got quite a story to tell and it actually explains why he didn't produce much at all after I&W. Long story short is that a few years after I&W he got popped down in Austin with some blow and wound up getting rung for 250 days in the big home (fucking Draconian). After about a week he was beaten nearly to death by gangbangers, and then spent three and a half months getting shit on by his crooked and incompetent Wackenhut jailers. When he got out he spent a few years trying to sue everybody involved, only to keep getting shot down for lack of standing. Pretty much everybody agreed he got a really raw deal, but he didn't have grounds to sue anybody so he got nada. Pretty sorry-ass affair, frankly.

edit: Oh, and I'm not Prater.  :biggrin:
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
Geez. No wonder he's so bitter.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2014, 03:29:31 AM »
That is the perfect back story to become a hip hop producer.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2014, 05:16:19 AM »
When you did that did you read the article about his experience down in Austin? Guy's got quite a story to tell and it actually explains why he didn't produce much at all after I&W. Long story short is that a few years after I&W he got popped down in Austin with some blow and wound up getting rung for 250 days in the big home (fucking Draconian). After about a week he was beaten nearly to death by gangbangers, and then spent three and a half months getting shit on by his crooked and incompetent Wackenhut jailers. When he got out he spent a few years trying to sue everybody involved, only to keep getting shot down for lack of standing. Pretty much everybody agreed he got a really raw deal, but he didn't have grounds to sue anybody so he got nada. Pretty sorry-ass affair, frankly.
Here's the thing - considering how much Prater spoke in hyperbole and yet referred to it as truth, how much of his account about being jailed and the way he was treated is truthful and not simply another of his hyperbolic stories? I'm not saying that there isn't some truth in what he claims, but when you look at some of the ludicrous claims he's made regarding his time working with DT and even his attempts to fool people on this forum, I would seriously question how much of his story is actual truth. Best way to know is verification by many other people - are there other people that can actually vouch for his claims, and not simply people who sympathized with him after he's told his story?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:51 AM »
That is the perfect back story to become a hip hop producer.

Yeah, except if he went into the studio with DMX, and treated him the way he treated DT, he'd get himself shot.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »
Here's the thing - considering how much Prater spoke in hyperbole and yet referred to it as truth, how much of his account about being jailed and the way he was treated is truthful and not simply another of his hyperbolic stories? I'm not saying that there isn't some truth in what he claims, but when you look at some of the ludicrous claims he's made regarding his time working with DT and even his attempts to fool people on this forum, I would seriously question how much of his story is actual truth. Best way to know is verification by many other people - are there other people that can actually vouch for his claims, and not simply people who sympathized with him after he's told his story?
Well, there's really no disputing that he got his face demolished.
That's a compound fracture of the mandible and a lot of missing teeth.

As for how it transpired, there are two things there. First, his account for how it went down made him look like the complete douche you make him out to be. He asked the lead gangbanger if he'd have his boys shut up so he could get some sleep. If you're going to make up a story you would probably come up with something that paints you in a less moronic light. Second, the attitude of the guards in that and other privately run prisons is pretty well known to be exactly what he described. It was other Wackenhut guards that testified on his behalf and in fact the State of Texas sued Wackenhut for failing to provide the proper security that they were obligated to under their contract.

And to be clear, I know next to nothing about Prater. At the same time I consider him and his opinions no more or less biased or credible than the opinions of him by a forum of people who by and large think he's the antichrist in a story of five Jesuses.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2014, 05:55:01 PM »
Even without the pictures, I find it hard to believe Prater would make up a story like that. I agree with you EB, the default demonization of Prater on this forum is laughable.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2014, 06:03:50 PM »
Even without the pictures, I find it hard to believe Prater would make up a story like that. I agree with you EB, the default demonization of Prater on this forum is laughable.

This is a forum for Dream Theater fans. Not only does Prater come off like a complete jerk (understatement) towards them in his interviews, but a lot of his statements contradict theirs, and who are the DT fans going to believe and side with? The demonization is by no means default, and completely understandable, if you ask me.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2014, 06:08:53 PM »
I have read the book, and even through being from the bands perspective, they do sound a bit young and hotheaded. In the end, Prater's suggestions were all for the better, from what I could tell. DT in '92 were a band just exploding with talent and fire for taking over the music world, and that shows more than anywhere on Images and Words. Had Prater not managed to reel the guys in a bit, Images could have been more of a talent circus than talent show. 

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
I have read the book, and even through being from the bands perspective, they do sound a bit young and hotheaded. In the end, Prater's suggestions were all for the better, from what I could tell. DT in '92 were a band just exploding with talent and fire for taking over the music world, and that shows more than anywhere on Images and Words. Had Prater not managed to reel the guys in a bit, Images could have been more of a talent circus than talent show.

His suggestions may have been for the better, but his tone, and the way he talks about the guys is flat out insulting and rude. He acts like the only reason people like DT was because of his production on I&W, and like DT owes the entirety of their success to him, and everything they've done without him has been a steaming pile of crap. If that's how he wants to be, fine, but he shouldn't be expecting to be winning anyone over with that kind of an attitude.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
@Skeever: I think that's the key to remember here. If Prater had produced a flop of theirs, sure, then all criticism would be valid. But, he produced IAW.
And case in point, when MP got to redo IAW, it sounded worse.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
TGP, I think you *highly* underestimate MP's role in this clash. Look at the post-DT split shit show. MP is no stranger to spewing vitriol when he doesn't get his way.

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2014, 06:38:51 PM »
TGP, I think you *highly* underestimate MP's role in this clash. Look at the post-DT split shit show. MP is no stranger to spewing vitriol when he doesn't get his way.

Sure, but it's not like he was the only one who ever complained about Prater. JLB has had some negative things to say about Prater as well.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2014, 06:43:50 PM »
And when it comes to vitriol, maybe the guy just thinks that he had a part in producing what all the fans consider their best album, and the only thing people associate him with is fucking everything up and being a dick. I'd be pretty bitter about it. The band slag on him which means that 99% of their fans do as well by default. For all I know the guy really was a bastard, but the commentary from the band and its fans make it really difficult for an objective person to conclude one way or the other.

And the point here is that he can't even appear in an article about his lawsuit without those fans assuming that he's probably making it all up.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »
And when it comes to vitriol, maybe the guy just thinks that he had a part in producing what all the fans consider their best album, and the only thing people associate him with is fucking everything up and being a dick. I'd be pretty bitter about it. The band slag on him which means that 99% of their fans do as well by default. For all I know the guy really was a bastard, but the commentary from the band and its fans make it really difficult for an objective person to conclude one way or the other.
Well, I'm one of the fans, so I'm just going to side with the band here.

And the point here is that he can't even appear in an article about his lawsuit without those fans assuming that he's probably making it all up.

See, that's a different issue entirely, and no, I'm not gonna dispute whether it's true or not. I have no reason not to believe it.