Author Topic: The AC/DC Thread - RIP Malcolm Young  (Read 12272 times)

Calvin6s

Re: The AC/DC Thread v. Axl/DC
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2016, 02:48:40 PM »
But does Brian Johnson have to retire from music or just touring (loud music).

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2016, 08:45:55 AM »
For me it's not necessarily if Axl can sing the songs or not, it's more like this:

AC/DC always came across as down to earth, hard working guys (albeit probably stinkin' filthy rich) who want to give the fans something for the money.

Now you get the greatest diva of rock 'n' roll alive as replacement. A man who's known for bitchin' around constantly, startin' concerts late or ending concerts early because of flimsy reasons. A man with very questionable work ethics.

Was there really no one else who could've done this?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2016, 08:48:02 AM »
I wouldn't mind knowing who else they had in mind and thus who was passed over.

Calvin6s

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »
The tried out some AC/DC cover band singer.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
The tried out some AC/DC cover band singer.

I checked out some clips of him.  He does an absolute spot on rendition.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »
I have no trouble with what they're doing , but that press release wishing Brian "well with his future endeavours" without calling it a day was pretty rank IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »
I have no trouble with what they're doing , but that press release wishing Brian "well with his future endeavours" without calling it a day was pretty rank IMO.

yes its very greasy

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2016, 04:00:19 PM »

yes its very greasy

hmm, I didn't think it was that bad, as far as 'message to the fans clearly written by management and not the band themselves'-type press releases go.  I get you though, you'd think after all these years there would be a bit more of a send off.  maybe things went a bit sour between the boys, or maybe it's just your typical management balls up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »
For me it's more about what they didn't say:

- there was no indication that if his health improves that he has the slot
- they didn't really say he is out permanently (although it's clear to me that he is...."best in future endeavours" is what a board says to an incompetent CEO as he gets the boot)
- they didn't clarify the future of the band

If they're done after the tour then great , just say it and it all seems more legit.  If they're hopeful that Brian can get back then say it.  It seems to me that they're ashamed to spell out exactly what they're up to here. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2016, 04:56:06 PM »
If AC/DC really is going down the road of being very classless, then Axl Rose really is the perfect choice to be the new (temporary) singer. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »
If AC/DC really is going down the road of being very classless, then Axl Rose really is the perfect choice to be the new (temporary) singer. :lol

:clap: Indeed.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »
- they didn't really say he is out permanently (although it's clear to me that he is...."best in future endeavours" is what a board says to an incompetent CEO as he gets the boot)

Reminds me of those times of what WWE says when they "release" wrestlers from their contracts. 

"We wish Brian Johnson the best of luck in his future endeavors."

Calvin6s

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2016, 10:34:30 PM »
Word is the next AC/DC album will sound eerily similar to Back in Black.  Fortunately for them, every song sounds eerily similar to Back in Black.  Unfortunately for them, they weren't clever enough with the song titles to hide it.
Old Smells
Take my Pills
Still Gotta Tour for Money Honey
Blue Pill Gives Me a Bone
Can I Put My Love into You
Crack My Back
I'm Shakin' All Day Long
Have a Drink and Pee
Break a Leg
Rock and Roll Ain't Ear Dilution

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2016, 01:32:54 AM »
For me it's more about what they didn't say:

- there was no indication that if his health improves that he has the slot
- they didn't clarify the future of the band

If they're done after the tour then great , just say it and it all seems more legit.  If they're hopeful that Brian can get back then say it.  It seems to me that they're ashamed to spell out exactly what they're up to here.

And didn't Brain Johnson himself say that he didn't understand why he got the boot that quickly?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »
Seems like AC/DC is more of a business than a band now - management calling all the shots and making all the plays.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2016, 07:58:19 AM »
Statement from Brian (sounds like he hopes he is still in but not sure :lol) - says he will continue to record in the studio , but with who?

He is a real gent is Brian.

As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer.  I want personally to explain the reason because I don’t believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness.  While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage.  I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised.  In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow.  Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can’t deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC.  I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond.  That was the darkest day of my professional life.
Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena and stadium size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness.  Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine.  The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before.  Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life’s work.  I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice.  The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person.
Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years.  Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC.  My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring.  My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that.  For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing.  I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances.  While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic.  Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love,
Brian

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2016, 08:19:57 AM »
can they not use IEMs?  Then the sound could be adjusted to whatever he needs it to be.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
That's been said a lot, and who knows.

But here's my take:  whether he's being dead truthful or taking one for the machine, these are Brian's words.  He puts full blame on the ear situation, and while he doesn't go out of his way to give blessing to (or even mention, for that matter) the band continuing on, it's a generally positive, and supportive message, save for the fear and pain he felt at not being able to do what he loves.  I feel that as fans that's the position we should take.   NO ONE'S opinion matters on this except for Angus, Brian and Cliff (and perhaps the wives).  If they're good with it, we HAVE to be good with it. 

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »
NO ONE'S opinion matters on this except for Angus, Brian and Cliff (and perhaps the wives).  If they're good with it, we HAVE to be good with it.

No, because then we wouldn't be DTF where everything is dissected, analysed, ranked, argued and counter-argued.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2016, 11:15:42 AM »
Well now that this is confirmed I'll Give my thoughts on this. Axls voice could actually be a good fit for AC/DC. If he can leave his ego at the door and not be a complete prick I think they can put on some entertaining shows together. Would I have preffered somebody else? Well yes, but I will admit that he's a talented dude but there's no denying the man has a reputation. He seems to have been better lately like actually showing up on time but that's still what many people think of him.

If Angus wants to finish the tour then all the power to him. However if afterwards Brian still cant return to the band then it may be time to call it quits.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2016, 01:43:04 PM »
If he can leave his ego at the door and not be a complete prick I think they can put on some entertaining shows together.

This is the big question for me.  I would hate to see AC/DC ruined by Axl's rockstar bullshit, especially since Bon and Brian both have that persona of that hard working, no drama, no bullshit, working class hero. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2016, 07:00:26 PM »
An interesting editorial on the situation  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrDXm-iTEWs&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:11:48 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2016, 07:18:35 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I LOLED SO HARD!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
 :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2016, 02:20:01 PM »
I'm actually interested in hearing AC/DC with Axl. I think it could actually be pretty good. As far as Angus hanging it up I don't understand why people say he should hang it up, or any band that has a member who leaves/dies. If you have a passion for touring then go ahead and do it and if the people don't want to see you because x member isn't there then that's fine.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »

I am so stealing this for Facebook.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2016, 05:17:15 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
Who the hell is this Donnie Baker guy? And why does he have all these selfie videos of himself on a tire swing?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
Thank God for cell phones and the internet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2016, 10:03:11 PM »

I am so stealing this for Facebook.  :lol

:lol :lol AC/DCs

Haha!  That is fantastic :lol

“Won’t be long and you’ll be strung out... drippin’ like a lazy stalactite tryna join Nickelback and they probably won’t even take ya - I'm done with BOTH ya'l fuckin' bands."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2016, 10:19:42 PM »
For me it's not necessarily if Axl can sing the songs or not, it's more like this:

AC/DC always came across as down to earth, hard working guys (albeit probably stinkin' filthy rich) who want to give the fans something for the money.

Now you get the greatest diva of rock 'n' roll alive as replacement. A man who's known for bitchin' around constantly, startin' concerts late or ending concerts early because of flimsy reasons. A man with very questionable work ethics.

While AC/DC have certainly been much more professional approach to working hard to get what they want to the fans....make no mistake....Axl, in some ways, reminds me of Bon.    Brian has always been Brian...and he's done a hell of a job, and in someways (and in certain moments) surpassed what Bon was able to do.   But Bon was the quintessential ***ROCK STAR***.   Larger than life, "I can down two bottles of whisky, kick your ass, screw your girlfriend, and put in a top notch performance when I'm through." type of rock star.     Yes, they differ greatly in punctuality....but Axl probably has more in common with Bon than with Brian. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2016, 10:30:56 PM »

While AC/DC have certainly been much more professional approach to working hard to get what they want to the fans....make no mistake....Axl, in some ways, reminds me of Bon.    Brian has always been Brian...and he's done a hell of a job, and in someways (and in certain moments) surpassed what Bon was able to do.   But Bon was the quintessential ***ROCK STAR***.   Larger than life, "I can down two bottles of whisky, kick your ass, screw your girlfriend, and put in a top notch performance when I'm through." type of rock star.     Yes, they differ greatly in punctuality....but Axl probably has more in common with Bon than with Brian. 

Except that Axl is not the "larger than life, "I can down two bottles of whisky, kick your ass, screw your girlfriend, and put in a top notch performance when I'm through." type of rock star" at all.  It's not just punctuality that differs, it's their mannerisms, their work ethic, their attitude... everything. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2016, 10:33:09 PM »

ACDC seem like the kind of guys you could approach at a bar or after a show and have a cool conversation with. Axl seems like he'd order his security guard to beat you up before he goes back to his limo and has his driver take him to his mansion where his servants take care of him while he thinks about how much like Bon Scott he is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »
Jesus...Axl Rose?  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:19 PM »

That's an interesting perspective, J Dude.

I'm still not sure how I honestly feel about Axl/DC.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol