Author Topic: The AC/DC Thread - RIP Malcolm Young  (Read 12263 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The AC/DC Thread v. Axl/DC
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2016, 10:17:49 AM »
Bassist Cliff Williams to quit the band after current tour.

Will they finally stop ?

Online Mladen

« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2016, 01:20:02 PM »
Hopefully. Sorry if I'm being too harsh, but it would be ridiculous not to call quits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2016, 01:22:50 PM »
Yes. Seeing as it's only Angus left.

You know they're an old band when his own son fills in for him and you can't tell the difference :lol
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:47:14 PM by Kotowboy »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2017, 06:37:39 AM »
Sad news from AC / DC :(

Today it is with deep heartfelt sadness that AC/DC has to announce the passing of Malcolm Young.

Malcolm, along with Angus, was the founder and creator of AC/DC.
With enormous dedication and commitment he was the driving force behind the band.
As a guitarist, songwriter and visionary he was a perfectionist and a unique man.
He always stuck to his guns and did and said exactly what he wanted.
He took great pride in all that he endeavored.
His loyalty to the fans was unsurpassed.

As his brother it is hard to express in words what he has meant to me during my life, the bond we had was unique and very special.

He leaves behind an enormous legacy that will live on forever.

Malcolm, job well done.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:28:15 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2017, 07:26:34 AM »
Despite his dementia, this still comes as a shock, and is sad to hear. An underrated musician who was such a huge part of AC/DC's songwriting and sound and management.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2017, 08:03:09 AM »
*cranks up Whole Lotta Rosie*  :metal :metal

R.I.P.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2017, 08:17:41 AM »
Damn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
There's something about that "Malcolm, job well done" at the end of the statement that makes it extra sad for me. A tremendous loss. RIP.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2017, 09:10:54 AM »
Sad, really sad.

Malcom was the master of the simple yet effective, catchy and groovy guitar riffs. May he rest in peace and jam in heaven or hell, whichever is more fun.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2017, 09:17:48 AM »
Did not enjoy literally waking up to this... RIP Malcolm. Thanks for all the rock.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2017, 10:02:15 AM »
Dang,  way too soon. Sorry to hear!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
We all can only hope to do something we love for so long, to say nothing of doing it at such a high level, and bringing joy to so many people. Thank you Malcolm.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »
sad news

Online Mladen

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »
Way too early. Rest in peace, Malcolm...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »
Not surprising, but no less saddening. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »
Did not enjoy literally waking up to this... RIP Malcolm. Thanks for all the rock.

Same. I woke up to a phone call from my friend telling me the news. Even though I was never a huge AC/DC fan, I have always considered Malcolm Young to be the greatest rhythm guitarist of all time (and this is coming from a guy who worships James Hetfield). Angus always got the attention, and he’s great as well, but I always felt that Malcolm was the heart and soul of that band. His riffs were catchy and memorable, and without his chords and riffs, Angus’ solos would not have been nearly as good. An absolutely brilliant musician. May he Rest In Peace.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2017, 07:49:12 AM »
So finally digesting this, and this is a huge loss to the metal world. I like what Tom Keifer said: "This man inspired more rock & roll than the world will ever be able to measure. " So true.

To me, Malcolm was one of the coolest motherfuckers going. It's been a long time since I've seen AC/DC, but I saw them at least a half dozen times back in the day, and no lie, I was ALWAYS fixated on Malcolm.

In all of the concerts I've ever seen, one of my all time favorite visuals is of Malcolm and Cliff stepping off walking in unison to the front of the stage to do their background vocals. I used to think, oh no, they're not going to make it, and then bam, right on cue. Then they turn in unison to return to their places flanking the drum riser. Such precision. As much as Angus was the focal point, the unrelenting rhythms are what truly made AC/DC so special.

Watching the No Bull DVD this morning. It was great to see Phil Rudd return for this tour.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:59:28 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
Watching the Let There Be Rock DVD and this part jumped off the screen at me. It's the solo on Sin City. But what I love is Malcolm, Cliff, and Phil whaling away at the rhythm. Jump to 1:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gikKRv1hUjk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »
His sound on "Hell's Bell's" is probably my favorite guitar sound of all time.  Either that or Dirty Deeds (the album). 

I'm going to try not to look at the picture that was included in the last album, with the two Young Brothers' guitars leaning against a Marshall half stack (and Angus's SG sort of leaning on Mal's Gretsch, implying that Mal was the real backbone).  I know it'll make me cry.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2017, 12:33:21 PM »
I know next to nothing about the band as people, but Phill Rudd seemed like a cool, down to earth guy. Shame he went way off the rails and couldn't close out the band's career with Cliff and Angus.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
I just want to repost some thoughts I posted to Facebook:

I would be amiss if I did not acknowledge the passing of Malcolm Young. AC/DC was a huge part of my musical journey growing up. I had been listening to mostly folk and easy listening stuff when a friend first showed me Back in Black. I was completely blown away. I had no idea my speakers could even do that. I spent the next few years being obsessed with AC/DC....even though I eventually moved on to more complex music, there was always something about the pounding rhythms, blues mentality, and bathroom wit of AC/DC. They sometimes get hassled for retreading the same sound over and over again (even Angus himself once joked that the idea they had released the same album 13 times was a bloody lie......it was 14 times. LOL) but I actually disagree. To my ears, there was a definite shift in the sound when Robert John "Mutt" Lange came on to produce Highway to Hell, Back in Black, and For Those About to Rock. Everything that AC/DC had been before that became streamlined. I think it was Mutt who was responsible for taking everything they were, and making them focus on a more verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus/end mentality. And while I can't deny the amazing product of those albums, I really think some of the magic was lost from those first 5 albums (the original High Voltage, TNT, Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, and Powerage). Gone were the extended solo sections. Gone were the extended intros (Soul Stripper). Gone were the multiple solo sections (Let There Be Rock). Gone were the song ending codas (Down Payment Blues). Gone were the mid-song breakdowns (Sin City).

But through it all, Malcolm Young was the understated leader of the band. The anchor that held it all together. AC/DC already hasn't put out a really good album in 20 years. (although every album has at least one or two songs that recapture the magic). But I really think Angus needs to consider letting the legacy die with dignity. But OTOH, I honestly don't understand why Angus doesn't at least try to go back to some of the more honest material of the early days. What does he really have to lose at this point? What is the worst that could happen if he decided to let things breathe a bit and have a little fun with it?

In closing, I share with you one of my favorite songs from what is absolutely my #1 all time favorite AC/DC album. I'm certain that at least 5 songs in my top 10 list come from Powerage. It is AC/DC perfection to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV70XXyiIao

I think my top 10 AC/DC songs would be:

1. Riff Raff
2. Soul Stripper
3. Down Payment Blues
4. Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be
5. What's Next to the Moon
6. Let There Be Rock
7. Up to My Neck in You
8. Go Down
9. Rock n Roll Singer
10. Shake a Leg

And that's just off the top of my head.  I'll probably have a different list.  Because I feel like Kicked in the Teeth, Beating Around the Bush, Walk All Over You, Inject the Venom, Overdose, Gimme a Bullet, Can I Sit Next to You Girl, Squealer, and Gone Shootin should all be on there as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:25 PM »
I apologize for linking to Rolling Stone but this is a Must Read if you are an AC/DC fan.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/acdcs-brian-johnson-opens-up-about-malcolm-young-w512417

....Powerage love....

J-Dude, I can totally appreciate your love of Powerage. While I personally think Let there Be Rock is the Bon Era's tour de force, I think Powerage is magnificent. It's seems to be the forgotten album of the Bon Era.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2017, 10:01:14 PM »
That's the most personal thing I've ever seen from any member of the AC/DC camp.

Are there any good unauthorized biographies out there that anyone knows of?  Something tells me you will NEVER get an official story from the band that is anything up close.   

Offline margasdilemma

• New Girl
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2017, 10:47:21 PM »
The contribution they have to the music industry is priceless. I still remember how my grandfather play their song on our pick-up truck when I was young. Long live AC/DC

RIP Sir Malcolm Young
A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2017, 03:49:49 PM »
I wish I liked The Foo Fighters' music. They do such great stuff live.

Tribute to Malcolm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1qjKdPIJw

Offline gazinwales

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2017, 10:59:02 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The AC/DC Thread - RIP Malcolm Young
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2017, 07:04:20 AM »
That's awesome, Chris.  He totally nails it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2017, 08:44:29 AM »
That picture of Angus holding Mal's guitar with both hands, clearly in tears, and ready to hand it to the priest is simply heart breaking.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2017, 08:51:43 AM »
Yeah. Very sad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2022, 05:48:23 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2022, 05:52:54 PM »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2022, 04:06:46 AM »
Has there ever been a professional live recording with Axl on vocal duties? I thought the yt clips of those concerts sounded amazing and would love to hear it on an actual release.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2022, 10:04:55 PM »
Has there ever been a professional live recording with Axl on vocal duties? I thought the yt clips of those concerts sounded amazing and would love to hear it on an actual release.

There has not. But now that Brian is back, I would think that move would seem like a slight.

I’ll bet they sneak a couple of tracks onto what ever next “collection” they have planned. They are almost overdue for one of those.