Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 86225 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2014, 05:53:17 PM »
I watch Talking Dead every week, and every week I ask myself "why?". It's the perfect example of 5 interesting minutes with 35 minutes of fluff, which is interestingly enough how some would describe The Walking Dead. I like the previews of next week, and sometimes the guests get interesting questions, but almost everything else feels like filler material. Hardwick is pretty obnoxious as the host, and segments like "In Memoriam" is just useless and there to soak up a minute or two.

It could have been a really cool show if the guests could speak more freely and get better questions, but in between 40 commercial breaks, segments nobody finds interesting and reading dumb tweets/hashtags, most of the time is spent on lame stuff. Still, I end up watching every week because those 5 minutes of interesting stuff usually sucks me in.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2014, 07:12:01 PM »
I watch Talking Dead every week, and every week I ask myself "why?". It's the perfect example of 5 interesting minutes with 35 minutes of fluff, which is interestingly enough how some would describe The Walking Dead. I like the previews of next week, and sometimes the guests get interesting questions, but almost everything else feels like filler material. Hardwick is pretty obnoxious as the host, and segments like "In Memoriam" is just useless and there to soak up a minute or two.

It could have been a really cool show if the guests could speak more freely and get better questions, but in between 40 commercial breaks, segments nobody finds interesting and reading dumb tweets/hashtags, most of the time is spent on lame stuff. Still, I end up watching every week because those 5 minutes of interesting stuff usually sucks me in.

Ditto. I ask myself 'why I am watching this?' at least 20 times while watching it....all for that teaser trailer in the last 5 minutes. Although, Conan did make me laugh a couple times this past one and I usually like them when Gimple is on. If anything to listen to him give answers like a politician where he doesn't even come close to answering anything. Some of the behind the scenes stuff is cool too but all in all it's a waste of 44 minutes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2014, 07:22:17 AM »
Your answer is: pop culture phenomena, if you like something that appeals to a lot of dumb fucks then it's gonna have to cater to their entertainment needs as well and The Talking Dead is conducted as such IMO.
Conan was funny on that new episode though.
Also a wow to the casting director who put an above average actor in the role of Gareth who seems to be a recurring character while wasting a remarkably good actor on that cabin scene with Tyrees. I never saw that actor before but he was remarkable in those cabin scenes IMO.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2014, 07:46:07 AM »
I never saw that actor before but he was remarkable in those cabin scenes IMO.

Agreed. That guy did a great job of presenting the 'truths' of that world....exactly in the manner someone who wouldn't give a  :censored would have. You could 'feel' that at one time he did care and was normal....but his humanity had been withered away by everything. Very good job by him.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2014, 08:03:35 PM »
1. Called it :millahhhh

2. THEY ATE HIS FREAKIN LEG

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »
Great ending.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2014, 09:00:14 PM »
1. Called it :millahhhh

2. THEY ATE HIS FREAKIN LEG

Yep...nice call :clap:         

I really enjoy the return to the graphic novel as the back bone of the story and then adding elements by 'creating' the hunters because of destroying their camp/home. That episode was well done with just enough set up for the group to move forward....bring them all together and then immediately introduce the new threat. I like the portrayal of Gabriel as well...I think that actor fits the character perfectly.

I'm curious as to if Daryl and Carol will now be off on their own searching for Beth?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »
Bob is the new Herschel.

Hershey

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »
I am so glad I had finished lunch before that scene...poor Bob.

Great episode, although I did think it was weird they were all loud and all relaxed in the church when they knew from the night before that someone had been watching them and also after Carl found that writing on the outside wall.

I hope Rick does kill Gareth with that machete he mentioned at Terminus.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2014, 06:03:49 AM »
I am so glad I had finished lunch before that scene...poor Bob.

Great episode, although I did think it was weird they were all loud and all relaxed in the church when they knew from the night before that someone had been watching them and also after Carl found that writing on the outside wall.

All of this!

Is anyone familiar with the graphic novel able shed light on why Bob was crying?  Is there something in the comics about it?  My wife and I were thinking he got bit in the food bank scuffle and was getting ready to kill himself (explains the last kiss thing) before getting knocked out.

That would also mean those guys just munched on zombie meat. mmmmm.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2014, 06:15:20 AM »
Yeah, he got bit. Tainted meat

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2014, 06:30:39 AM »
sauce? :neverusethis:

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2014, 08:04:29 AM »
That was generally an unpleasant episode, especially the end.  But I think it was good.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2014, 08:10:20 AM »

is this confirmed by someone from the show?

also, what was that mark on the tree he was leaning against before being knocked out?  It seemed to be something that was there already.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2014, 08:16:41 AM »

is this confirmed by someone from the show?

Well....COMIC SPOILER.........In the comic Dale had been bitten then right after that he was kidnapped in the same fashion. When he came to they were eating his leg and I actually think the next thing Bob will do is start laughing like Dale did in the comic....they ask him why he's laughing....then he will show them that he got bit.

also, what was that mark on the tree he was leaning against before being knocked out?  It seemed to be something that was there already.

I'm trying to figure that one out as well because they made it a point to show it twice on the heels of the very noticable marking that Morgan discovered and is apparently following.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »
My first thought when he started to cry outside.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »

Even in the scene where he's pulled under the actor does a good job of showing something happened or wasn't quite right with his expressions. And if you watch as he is alone pushing the cart back on the road....there is subtle signs as well.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2014, 09:52:23 AM »
Why do so many male characters in this show have such perfectly trimmed facial hair, or are clean shaven altogether?  This question popped into my head again last night when they stumbled across Father Gabriel, who had a perfectly shaven head and goatee.  I'm sorry, it's not happening!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »

Even in the scene where he's pulled under the actor does a good job of showing something happened or wasn't quite right with his expressions. And if you watch as he is alone pushing the cart back on the road....there is subtle signs as well.
Yea it did actually cross my mind when he got dragged down.

Speaking of Bob, Am I the only one pondering a bit about Lawrence Gilliards acting, I might be mistaken and not remember correctly but I thought his acting was top notch in The Wire but for some reason i'm not feeling him in TWD. Not sure why, just something I felt since he appeared on the show.

Speaking of The Wire, Seth Gilliam!  :biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2014, 10:12:11 AM »
Well in his defence.....his character has been painted as somewhat of a 'not with it' type of guy and hasn't been given the greatest of opportunities to really 'act' too much. Until the past few episodes he's been kind of a background character.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »
Loving this season.

They are two-for-two in my opinion!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2014, 10:21:36 AM »
Well in his defence.....his character has been painted as somewhat of a 'not with it' type of guy and hasn't been given the greatest of opportunities to really 'act' too much. Until the past few episodes he's been kind of a background character.
Yea probably true.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
Loving this season.

They are two-for-two in my opinion!

Yep. The set up for upcoming conflict with the hunters was executed pretty well.....and they were able to establish Gabriel, and re-introduce the Beth storyline....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
I actually liked this episode as well. I had this feeling that it was going to slow down to normal Walking Dead-boring after last weeks episode, but glad they proved me wrong.

I got a very season-1ish feeling from the dinner and wine scene in the church. Reminded me of when they got to the CDC.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »
Considering they pulled Bob and Tyreese's sister's relationship out of thin air, I knew for certain one of them would die, but the confusing factor which has already been brought up is the Terminus Hunters appear to be eating tainted meat, so out new villain's lifespan is limited, so are they even going to be a threat?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »
Considering they pulled Bob and Tyreese's sister's relationship out of thin air

really?  I thought there were at least hints of it throughout last season.
Winger would be better!

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »
It was really just hinted at the one time ("I'm gonna try something...").  It seemed like a convenient match up for the writers to add a bit of emotional gravity to the inevitable deaths that are upcoming - sort of like when Beth lost her boy toy back in the prison.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »
didn't he kiss her after he said that?  I guess I'm saying it didn't come out of nowhere.  They definitely set the stage for it.
Winger would be better!

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »
Yeah that's what I was referring to.  They made no mention of Sasha reciprocating any feelings though so at the time I thought it was a one-and-done, though it made sense they'd end up together.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »
I thought it was interesting that the guy that Tyrese supposedly beat to death in the cabin was sitting at the fire munchin' on some Bob-B-Q. I'm sure that'll come full circle somehow. I'd like to see it culminate in (Comic Talk...Possible Spoiler).....that character...the one Tyrese was thought to have killed.....actually end up murdering Judith. It seems to be set up that way with all the 'Thanks for taking care of Judith...I owe you so much' talk from Rick.....and Tyrese being like....'I love that little girl like my own..no problem'. IMO they need to off the little kiddo because it'd show some gumption and it'd get the story back on track being she should have bought it at the prison.  That character should kill her and force Tyrese to turn into the killing machine he was in the comics. Or maybe that dude will kill both Tyrese and Judith being that they both bought it at the prison in the comics and he'd already told Tyrese he was going to kill them both

I absolutely believe that is what will happen.....and it'll be awesome!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2014, 03:03:03 PM »
Considering they pulled Bob and Tyreese's sister's relationship out of thin air, I knew for certain one of them would die, but the confusing factor which has already been brought up is the Terminus Hunters appear to be eating tainted meat, so out new villain's lifespan is limited, so are they even going to be a threat?

Comic Spoilers, read at your own risk
In the comics, it's Dale that gets bitten, captured, and cannibalised. When he sees the hunters eating his leg he starts laughing and yells "TAINTED MEAT!" They spit it out, knock him out, and leave him outside the church. The group then tracks down the Hunters and slaughters them while Gabriel watches. It's never revealed if eating the tainted meat had any effect on them. To answer your question, they've been a much bigger threat in the show than they were in the comic.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »
I am so in love with this show right now. Absolutely adore the direction and vibe right now, and it's something easily overlooked, but the new intro really gives the show a comic-book feel with all the nods to the past as well as the future. Really looking forward to seeing what kind of destruction this season will sow. The comic book enthusiast in me ruined the ending of this episode but I also loved it because it's proof that Kirkman wasn't talking out his ass when he said this season will be more akin to the comic than past seasons. I love it. I hope they can keep this momentum and keep this show consistent for once!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
This might be going overboard a bit but I think these two episodes are better than all of season 4 combined

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
You could be right. 4 was very slow.....

Damn I missed that...I will have to watch it again.   I wish sure Tyrese killed him.

OMG I just read your comic talk possible spoiler....will be interesting to see what happens.

I am curious about the comment Gareth made to Bob about it being great he was their victim now did he mean because when he last saw Bob he was at their basin about to be killed or has Bob been with them previously and possibly this is the reason why he was crying...although saying that I am thinking he has been bitten he was acting very change at the church.

Regarding the slash mark on the tree, I assumed that was made when they hit Bob... I didn't see it before.

Now that Daryl & Carol have gone to find Beth I assume the next episode may be just with them...loving this series!  :corn
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:16:23 PM by lucky7 »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2014, 06:02:13 PM »
This will be a minor complaint, not something that ruins the show or anything, but something I could do without is the scene in every episode where a single walker comes out of the forest and gets killed after five seconds. Literally every episode has one or two scenes like that. I understand that these kind of situations occur in a zombie apocalypse, and that the group surely ends up in many situations where they are out walking, a single walker appears and they take care of it. But, in the end it gets pretty mundane. The walker is never a threat, and there's really no purpose to those scenes other than establishing that this is a routine for the group. I don't know, to me it just comes off as filler, like "we need a zombie here to remind people this is the apocalypse".

Just a minor complaint like I said, nothing that takes me out of the show, but I feel like they could decrease the amount of those scenes. There's nothing exciting about them, they usually have no purpose and they're just an excuse to show off a zombie. Unless the scene leads to something or has a purpose, I don't really care for those routine zombie appearances.