Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 86518 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #175 on: November 04, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »
All the hype for the Season 5 opener finally got me to start watching it, and hoo boy what a show. Just started S4, I'll be back in a week...

yeah..... :clap:  ......one more sucker....errr.....fan to add to the mix!!! Can't wait to hear your input RJ!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2014, 04:03:55 PM »
Does no one like slow builds to episodes anymore? I loved the atmosphere of this episode. Creepy and mysterious.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
Slow builds work if a) you have an interesting character to develop and b) the show hadn't completely underwhelmed in the past with bad payoffs.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2014, 05:30:45 PM »
All the hype for the Season 5 opener finally got me to start watching it, and hoo boy what a show. Just started S4, I'll be back in a week...

yeah..... :clap:  ......one more sucker....errr.....fan to add to the mix!!! Can't wait to hear your input RJ!!!

I'm averaging four episodes a day. I need help. :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »
I thought what happened was that after Chris Rock had escaped he met Daryl and Carol who had arrived the night before and started watching the place from the outside, Rock told them he knew Beth and the way to sneak into the community, he told them Dawn won't take Daryl cause he's an able bodied man who can fight back and would probably take Carol since she looks like a weak old woman, so somehow Carol let herself cross ways with the cops to get in and escape with Beth somehow with help from Daryl from the outside.

That could be the case....sounds plausible. I don't see why then they wouldn't have shown both Daryl and Carol come out of the woods at night to greet Michonne. I had the impression that Daryl went first to check it out so that if the group was there they'd see a familiar face? He then would call back to Noah....who I guess....he ran across as he escaped and he and Carol had a run in with the Cops...she getting caught. I guess we will find out sooner or later....I mean, it doesn't seem like Gimple is in to dragging things out at all.......

COMIC Spoiler Talk
Andrew Lincoln has been clean shaven in some recent appearances and his only indication as to what's going on is that some 'pretty cool stuff'....pretty generic but it makes me believe that at some point this season, possibly mid season finale or shortly thereafter they either find Alexandria or that small community of homes where they camped out for a few days allowing them to re-group and shave/rest/refuel. I'm thinking Alexandria.....and if that's the case that would lend a good possibility of Negan making an appearance as soon as next season or maybe even the finale of this season??

Filming spoilers, you have been warned:
I can confirm that Alexandria will appear this season. In Senoia, GA they fenced off a neighborhood and word has it that they will be there for the next few years. It has the bell tower from the comics, there's no way it couldn't be Alexandria. They've been filming at that location for the past month or so. I'd expect to see it towards the end of the season. Check out The Spoiling Dead Fans on Facebook if you don't believe me.

Don't expect to see Negan this season. It's too soon. They have plenty of story to tell before then and they would almost be caught up with the comic if they introduced him this season. Not a good idea.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: November 04, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »
I thought what happened was that after Chris Rock had escaped he met Daryl and Carol who had arrived the night before and started watching the place from the outside, Rock told them he knew Beth and the way to sneak into the community, he told them Dawn won't take Daryl cause he's an able bodied man who can fight back and would probably take Carol since she looks like a weak old woman, so somehow Carol let herself cross ways with the cops to get in and escape with Beth somehow with help from Daryl from the outside.

That could be the case....sounds plausible. I don't see why then they wouldn't have shown both Daryl and Carol come out of the woods at night to greet Michonne. I had the impression that Daryl went first to check it out so that if the group was there they'd see a familiar face? He then would call back to Noah....who I guess....he ran across as he escaped and he and Carol had a run in with the Cops...she getting caught. I guess we will find out sooner or later....I mean, it doesn't seem like Gimple is in to dragging things out at all.......

COMIC Spoiler Talk
Andrew Lincoln has been clean shaven in some recent appearances and his only indication as to what's going on is that some 'pretty cool stuff'....pretty generic but it makes me believe that at some point this season, possibly mid season finale or shortly thereafter they either find Alexandria or that small community of homes where they camped out for a few days allowing them to re-group and shave/rest/refuel. I'm thinking Alexandria.....and if that's the case that would lend a good possibility of Negan making an appearance as soon as next season or maybe even the finale of this season??

Filming spoilers, you have been warned:
I can confirm that Alexandria will appear this season. In Senoia, GA they fenced off a neighborhood and word has it that they will be there for the next few years. It has the bell tower from the comics, there's no way it couldn't be Alexandria. They've been filming at that location for the past month or so. I'd expect to see it towards the end of the season. Check out The Spoiling Dead Fans on Facebook if you don't believe me.

Don't expect to see Negan this season. It's too soon. They have plenty of story to tell before then and they would almost be caught up with the comic if they introduced him this season. Not a good idea.

Wow that is really cool!!! It just seems to fit the timing of the show and the way things were progressing. I guess there is plenty of material to go off of even after finding Alexandria before they'd have to introduce Negan.....but it is close. I am so curious as to 1.) Who they are going to cast for that Iconic role because....it's a pretty vital role and the wrong person playing him could kill that character and 2.) how the heck they are going to get past the fact that every other word out of his mouth is FU%K!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #181 on: November 04, 2014, 07:18:03 PM »
@lonestar: you've never watched the show, and you're starting at S4? Any reason why? I mean, if so, you've literally jumped in 2/3rds of the way through a major story arc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
@lonestar: you've never watched the show, and you're starting at S4? Any reason why? I mean, if so, you've literally jumped in 2/3rds of the way through a major story arc.

No, maybe I misstated myself. I started at episode one about three days after season 5 premiered. Plowed through it up to S4. As I said, I need help.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
Oh, I see. Jesus, that's a LOT of WD in one month.

Having said that, I watched all of Breaking Bad in I think two months, and I took a week break at the end of S3.

I'm curious what your impressions were of each season once you're done.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »
Slow builds work if a) you have an interesting character to develop and b) the show hadn't completely underwhelmed in the past with bad payoffs.
And Beth isn't interesting and the show has sucked with its payoffs so far.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »
Does no one like slow builds to episodes anymore?

Certainly. But like orcus says

and

I'll definitely give Gimple the benefit of the doubt and hold off complete 'bashing' of the episode until the season has played out...it's clear he understands the show and I'd bet this episode and the entire 'hospital' story arc have a purpose....even if that purpose is to essentially 'rescue' the character of Beth from being just a background waste of time character and give her a more prominent...interesting role. As has been mentioned....the actress actually had a good episode...probably her best yet.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2014, 02:18:05 AM »
And Beth isn't interesting and the show has sucked with its payoffs so far.
I can't understand why people here don't like Beth, I think she's pretty cool.

And some of the payoffs did suck a couple of seasons ago, but recently the show has been on a roll.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2014, 03:25:33 AM »
I would be thrilled if Carol getting into the hospital is indeed a plan, and they are trying to break out Beth, and we will see Carol go badass-mode and break her out. But given the history of this show and how events like this have played out before, I have a feeling Carol doesn't know Beth is there, she wasn't "caught" on purpose and we will get another 2 slow hospital episodes before they get away.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2014, 08:04:23 AM »
I can't understand why people here don't like Beth, I think she's pretty cool.

ditto that.

I like how they've brought her from a naive little girl to the end of this past episode where she looked like she was ready to take on the entire hospital with a pair of scissors.  Sure, she's not at Carol-level badass, but she seems to be making the change.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:49 AM »
]I can't understand why people here don't like Beth, I think she's pretty cool.

For me.....her character has never really been one that stood out to me to really care about. Certainly her character.....like all the others has progressed....and this past episode did do a lot to show that progression by her surmising that the DR. had her kill that guy because he was a DR as well....her setting up the cop to get eaten and the escape.....certainly she's 'grown'.

But....up until this past episode she's never 'stole' a scene for me or done anything to where I was invested in her character. She could easily disappear from the show and it wouldn't affect me one way or the other. But it does look like Gimple has plans for her and is making an attempt to involve and grow her character more.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2014, 08:24:09 AM »
But....up until this past episode she's never 'stole' a scene for me or done anything to where I was invested in her character. She could easily disappear from the show and it wouldn't affect me one way or the other.
Exactly!

When she was first introduced it was interesting to see the suicide angle they brought with her (and that was quickly forgotten), after that all she's been doing is standing in the back of scenes while attending the baby or once in a while singing around a campfire. Doesn't exactly scream interesting.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »
But....up until this past episode she's never 'stole' a scene for me or done anything to where I was invested in her character. She could easily disappear from the show and it wouldn't affect me one way or the other.
Exactly!

When she was first introduced it was interesting to see the suicide angle they brought with her (and that was quickly forgotten), after that all she's been doing is standing in the back of scenes while attending the baby or once in a while singing around a campfire. Doesn't exactly scream interesting.

I agree they had something there with the suicide angle...but they failed to develop her and just allowed her character to fall into the shadows and occasionally sing to everyone while she fed Judith.

And for me....the episode they gave her character with Daryl that was designed to really announce her character and establish it.....fell short. I didn't find Emily Kinney's performance compelling at all in it.....actually, to me....it was pretty lousy acting. She was much better in this last episode.....but that episode with her and Daryl was brutal acting IMO....Norman Reedus couldn't even save it.

Listen...I'm a huge fan of the TV show....I think Gimple's done a great job at getting this show back on track and making it compelling to watch. But I have a hard time 'caring' about ancillary characters who've done nothing to compell me to care about them....and Beth is one of them. I'm not even a big fan of Maggie....she's an important role but her character on the show just one step up from Beth for me. Anyway.....there are several cool characters that are to come so I'm just hoping that with Gimple at the helm they are develped in a manner to where they are as prominent and vital and interesting as they are in the novel....

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »
And for me....the episode they gave her character with Daryl that was designed to really announce her character and establish it.....fell short. I didn't find Emily Kinney's performance compelling at all in it.....actually, to me....it was pretty lousy acting. She was much better in this last episode.....but that episode with her and Daryl was brutal acting IMO....Norman Reedus couldn't even save it.

Yeah, this is why (up until now) I didn't care about Beth--she just wasn't a believable person based on Kinney's performance.

I'm actually completely turned around now. I thought she did a terrific job last week, and I actually care to find out what happens with her. On her own, she's responding to threat more in the way Daryl or Rick would. Her environment is rubbing off...now that she's seen Carol (not knowing what Carol has done to help the others) it could be completely fascinating to see what happens.

What if she's still of the mind that Carol abandoned them and was at least partially responsible for loosing the Prison? What if she tries to exact retribution?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2014, 07:15:43 AM »
I don't mind Beth, the problem is that she is currently a weak character. Don't get me wrong, she had some pretty good moments in the last episode and did some things she might not had done a few seasons ago, but when it's an episode about one of the characters being "trapped" with another group with a ruthless leader, Beth being that character is just a bit underwhelming. If it had been one of the characters known to fight back, and one of the characters who could hold their own, it would have been a more interesting dynamic. But then again, if someone like Rick or Darryl ended up at the hospital, they would probably have been taken out of the picture before they got a chance to do something.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2014, 07:26:24 AM »
I don't mind Beth, the problem is that she is currently a weak character. Don't get me wrong, she had some pretty good moments in the last episode and did some things she might not had done a few seasons ago, but when it's an episode about one of the characters being "trapped" with another group with a ruthless leader, Beth being that character is just a bit underwhelming. If it had been one of the characters known to fight back, and one of the characters who could hold their own, it would have been a more interesting dynamic. But then again, if someone like Rick or Darryl ended up at the hospital, they would probably have been taken out of the picture before they got a chance to do something.

It could be that Gimple is attempting to turn Beth in to that type a character with this situation? Judging from what we saw it's certain that had any of the male characters been taken they'd have been killed.....Had it been Maggie or Sasha I doubt they'd have played it as smooth as Beth did...they'd have fought back sooner. Like Gregg mentioned...this was a good episode for Beth due to the fact Emily Kinney's performance was good...it's started a groundwork (for me) to 'care' about what happens to her where as in the past as I've mentioned I could care less.

Having read the comic and knowing that there are at least (5) characters that are coming soon to be introduced...that are rather 'vital' to the story....I'm just curious as to if/when they are going to start thinning the herd in the group to make room/time for these 'new' characters to be introduced/developed while on screen. I mean...there's only so much you can do in 43 minutes?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #195 on: November 06, 2014, 11:44:54 PM »
On the last episode of S4, should be caught up by Sunday. Then it's five pages of thread to read  :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2014, 01:00:45 AM »
Theory about Tara

Comic Spoilers
In the Comics, Carol tries to join Rick and Lori in a 3 way marriage, but they decline and Carol eventually gives herself up to a walker. Mr. Gimple seems to be all about revisiting and remixing scenarios from the comics. Maybe Tara tries to join in on Glenn and Maggie's marriage and the same situation happens? I recall her looking at Maggie kinda longingly back in episode 2 this season.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2014, 02:02:56 AM »
Is that comic spoiler for real or fake? If real I am glad they have gone in a different direction.

lonestar you are a stronger person than me, if I wasn't up to date and came onto this forum there is no way I couldn't read spoilers.....hang in there, S5 is worth the wait!  :smiley:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2014, 02:11:37 AM »
It's True. Comic Carol is the 100% polar opposite of TV Carol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2014, 07:17:23 AM »
TV-Carol is basically Comic-Andrea.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: November 07, 2014, 07:39:13 AM »
On the last episode of S4, should be caught up by Sunday. Then it's five pages of thread to read  :lol

This is quite an amazing feat!! You'll be sizing up every environment you find yourself in as to the quickest way out when the group of 'walkers' comes crashing in....what will I use as a weapon.....should I go it alone or find a group.....

I am very curious as to your opinion on the show being that you've essentially watched it straight through and everything is fresh.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 07, 2014, 07:40:51 AM »
Theory about Tara

Comic Spoilers
In the Comics, Carol tries to join Rick and Lori in a 3 way marriage, but they decline and Carol eventually gives herself up to a walker. Mr. Gimple seems to be all about revisiting and remixing scenarios from the comics. Maybe Tara tries to join in on Glenn and Maggie's marriage and the same situation happens? I recall her looking at Maggie kinda longingly back in episode 2 this season.

That is quite interesting indeed! I can totally see that happening.....in fact, now that you mention it....it is set up for that.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2014, 07:42:35 AM »
TV-Carol is basically Comic-Andrea.

Yep. It really is a shame how badly they butchered TV Andrea's character compared to comic Andrea.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #203 on: November 07, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
S5, E1...wow, just wow.

(totally called the cannibal aspect though, saw that coming from miles away)

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #204 on: November 07, 2014, 01:39:32 PM »
Something from the most recent episode made me think.

So, we all know the trope that people in zombie-genre media have never had the thought of the dead coming back to life, so nobody knows the word "zombie".
But the characters have to refer to the zombies somehow, so the writers have them come up with their own names.

Rick's group calls them "walkers". That makes some sense. Dead people aren't supposed to walk and zombie's basically only stand or walk around when they aren't trying to eat people.
So "walkers" describes zombies' primary action. It's fine.

I think it was the Woodbury group that called them "biters". This one is good. Probably better than "walkers". Again, zombies pretty much just stumble around and try to bite people.
"Walkers" describes their more boring action. When you think of a zombie, you probably think about how they eat human flesh.

Now the hospital people: "Rotters"?
I understand what the writers are doing. Disparate groups of people will come up with different ways to talk about zombies. But "rotters"?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #205 on: November 07, 2014, 01:41:14 PM »
Better than Geeks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: November 07, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
Don't question it, or Dawn will slap you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2014, 10:28:03 AM »
OK, guess I'll get some thoughts down for the series.....

Season 1- Too short, but awesome. I know it was meant to be a miniseries, but damn I wish they had stretched out some of the initial story lines, and covered more of the breakdown of society, it's always one of my favorite parts of any post-apocalyptic tale.

Season 2- Solid, though the Sophia story was a bit dragged, and I felt that the farm was a bit too safe considering how fucked they were in every other living situation. Good ending to the Sophia storyline though, really set a somber tone for the coming tales.

Season 3- Good stuff, governer is such a dick man, love him. Michone quickly became a favorite of mine as well.

Season 4- So lame they had to kill Herschel, but my favorite season otherwise, a lot of the tales seemed closest to what this reality would really be like. Especially loved the episode with Carl and Rick in the house and the one with the two little girls, Tyrese, and Carole haunted me, having the one kid be a psychotic killer was spooky as fuck, and the scene where Carol had to put her down, just brilliantly done.

On S5, E2 now, like that they are going to draw out the cannibal storyline, should make for some epic shit.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »
That ending was awesome.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2014, 08:05:37 PM »
That ending was awesome.

Yeah it was.

I had a feeling that was going to happen, with Eugene's personality, it makes sense.

And its sad that all big ginger was trying to do was protect his family and they disowned him for it. geez
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:23:40 AM by Phoenix87x »