Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 86481 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2014, 07:32:51 AM »
To your point Zantera.....as much as I like the show I can't stand how badly they jacked up Tyrese's character.....compared to the character he was in the graphic novel. He was a bad a$$ in the comic and for as much as they try to make it appear like he's some restrained beast in the show....it's pretty annoying and they've just made him into a really strong sissy. They butchered Andrea's character as well....big time. She's awesome in the comics.

I don't think they planned on Daryl becoming as popular as he did....subsequently making it near impossible to kill him and not allowing time to focus on other characters while sticking to him. I still think they should kill him off.....soon....to clear some room to do what you're saying. Develop some other characters. With the characters that are on the horizon and if done properly you wouldn't miss Daryl for too long....there are some pretty cool 'good' characters that could potentially pop up very soon in the show given 'where' they are in the story in relation to the comic.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
I totally agree about the characters and I think that had a lot to do with last season introducing a lot of new ones but having everyone separated and not enough time to build any depth to the individuals making me not really care for anyone.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
Just look at the fan favorites and how shallow their traits are, basically any character who kicks ass, blows things up and kills zombies will be a fan favorite. Darryl, Michonne, Carol, or most recently, the new Rick.
None of those characters are fan favourites just because they shoot guns and knife zombies and shit.

How is Rick only recently a favourite? Other than maybe S2, when every character was shite, I can't think of a time people didn't love Rick. As the leader, he drives the show's moral compass and its entire plot and tone.

Daryl is interesting because besides/despite being a badass, he can't lead and tends towards being a malleable henchman, a weakness which I think he is slowly overcoming (see his storylines with Merle in S3 and the dudes from late in S4).

Carol is interesting because she has gradually and believably turned from one of the faceless dead weights of the crew and a battered wife into a resourceful, independent warrior / mother figure combination who possesses her own unique moral sense.

Michonne is about the opposite of a fan favourite. Her character's been (for the most part, justifiably) criticised since she was introduced. They finally added some depth to her at the end of the last season, but I still don't care for her that much.

Not to mention that last season, Hershel was a huge fan favourite, and he was almost completely helpless in combat.

Even if people do tend to prefer the stronger characters, how is that in any way surprising, let alone shallow and baseless, when the show is about a fucking zombie apocalypse? Should the writers get rid of all the strong characters and develop a band of spineless leaderless clueless no hopes? Then the show'll be much more plausible and enjoyable.

And I agree that there are a ton of characters, but does every single character in a show have to play a huge part in every single episode? I couldn't care less if I don't see much of someone for several weeks, as long as, when the story swings to focus on them, their narrative is handled well.

To your point Zantera.....as much as I like the show I can't stand how badly they jacked up Tyrese's character.....compared to the character he was in the graphic novel. He was a bad a$$ in the comic and for as much as they try to make it appear like he's some restrained beast in the show....it's pretty annoying and they've just made him into a really strong sissy. They butchered Andrea's character as well....big time. She's awesome in the comics.
I really like what they've done with Tyreese. From what I've read, he is Rick's right hand man in the comics. He already has that in Daryl on the show, and the writers probably figured it'd be pointless to develop a duplicate of the character and have two running around. So they created a new character with an interesting flaw, someone who can decimate walkers, but can't bring himself to kill the living. I'd rather see him becoming a hammer-wielding yet sensitive caretaker type than, you know, a purposeless, depthless strongman character who is just cluttering shit up, which is probably what he would have been otherwise.

Apparently, they realised they fucked Andrea up, which was why they culled her and, from the foundation they already had, built up Carol instead.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2014, 10:36:14 AM »
I really like what they've done with Tyreese. From what I've read, he is Rick's right hand man in the comics. He already has that in Daryl on the show, and the writers probably figured it'd be pointless to develop a duplicate of the character and have two running around. So they created a new character with an interesting flaw, someone who can decimate walkers, but can't bring himself to kill the living. I'd rather see him becoming a hammer-wielding yet sensitive caretaker type than, you know, a purposeless, depthless strongman character who is just cluttering shit up, which is probably what he would have been otherwise.

Apparently, they realised they fucked Andrea up, which was why they culled her and, from the foundation they already had, built up Carol instead.

I agree that Daryl essentially became Tyrese in the TV show.....which I guess then it's understandable that they have tried to take his character in a different direction...which isn't a bad idea I just think the execution has been poor...don't know who to blame...the direction or the actor or both? I'm just not 'convinced' by Tyrese in the show.

Carol has most definately taken a turn towards what Andrea is in the comics. I have enjoyed the progression of her character. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2014, 02:51:01 PM »
I may end up reading the comics after the show is done just to see the comparison. So Andrea was actually supposed to be not completely boring, mute-the-TV worthy?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
I may end up reading the comics after the show is done just to see the comparison. So Andrea was actually supposed to be not completely boring, mute-the-TV worthy?

She's actually pretty badass in the comic. In the show however they pretty much had to kill her off, because they failed so horribly with her.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »

**Comic Spoilers**

Andrea is pretty badass in the comic. She was the sharpshooter of the group, and the only time she ever interacted with the Governor was when she almost shot his head off from the guard tower in the final assault on the prison. She also was in a relationship with Dale up until he got cannibalized by the Hunters. Later, she hooks up with Rick. and they're still together at issue 133(The most recent issue)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »

I picked up the (2) compendiums and then started reading the volumes as they were released after season 2 and I can tell you that reading the comics while watching the show is actually quite neat....and fun. As I've mentioned and those of us who read the comics know....the comic does serve as a 'backbone' of sorts but the show does a good job of seperating itself as a 'stand alone' entity.

But I'll be honest....after Mazerra took the TV show kind of off the rails from the comics I was a little unsure of the show....and now that Gimple prefers to seemingly use a lot of inspiration from the comics as his base....I've been enjoying the show much more Gimple's style. He has done a great job of infusing the comics into the TV show without just making the TV show the comic on TV.

She's actually pretty badass in the comic. In the show however they pretty much had to kill her off, because they failed so horribly with her.

This. It's a shame what they did to her character on TV....

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
Psychological episode. I'm digging it.

But I have to admit, after months and months of build up to "where's Beth", this hospital isn't nearly as whacked as I was hoping, but oh well. Its still solid
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:04:52 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »
Better than I expected. Dawn is a Bitch.
This did kinda feel like a Rehash of Woodbury in a way.
Blonde girl from the group(Andrea/Beth) is separated from the group ends up in a community(Woodbury/Hospital) run by a crazy person(Governor/Dawn) and befriends a doctor(Milton/Dr. Edwards). Black character escapes(Michonne/Noah).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
It'd be different if I gave a rats a$$ about Beth....but I don't, so for me this episode and actually any episode that has spent more than three minutes on her wasn't impressive. It's a bummer too because this seasons been on fire....for me this episode was merely....meh....and the thing about it is that there will be at least one more episode like this....presumably though it'll explain how Carol got there. Pretty sure this explains who's with Daryl...its that Noah kid and I suppose the group will now go and rescue Carol and Beth.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2014, 09:02:27 PM »
Yeah, just like last year when they decided to give two episodes to the Governor for nothing in the long scheme of things, I didn't enjoy this episode much. Especially it's languid pace.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
Yeah, just like last year when they decided to give two episodes to the Governor for nothing in the long scheme of things, I didn't enjoy this episode much. Especially it's languid pace.

I was hoping it'd be a one episode resolution....but alas....the big 'payoff' for the hour was a passed out Carol on a stretcher. Again, if this were any other character....heck, even Rosita or Sasha....I might have enjoyed the episode more. But I've never felt compelled to care one bit about Beth's character...at all. It'd have been more interesting had they just never addressed 'where' she went. Just have her be gone....that's it....she was kidnapped and that was that....don't even bother trying to explain it.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »
The episode itself wasn't bad, I just wish they wrapped up the story arc in one episode to keep up the intense pace.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2014, 09:37:35 PM »
At least they didn't jump back and forth and moved things along by having it dedicated just to this storyline.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2014, 11:25:23 PM »
I'm afraid now we get to a more languid pace. Like the time at the farm. Next week, I doubt we see anyone but Glenn and Maggies new group throughout the entire episode. I'll bet this arc runs all the way to the mid-season finale. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2014, 02:03:31 AM »
^^I agree.  The episode wasn't too bad, Dawn is awful, I wonder what will happen to her at her end?.
Couldn't understand how Beth couldn't get away with Noah, she seems so weak when fighting, talking, just about anything.
Obviously Dawn doesn't like any strong people so hopefully Carol is weak for a little while at least.
So I assume we only have a few episodes left before the mid season break? Hopefully it is back to brilliant by then.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2014, 07:09:41 AM »
Episode was just ok.  The hospital isn't overly compelling.  I really think Carol let herself be captured and is going to help Beth break out from within.  I hope that this season doesn't do what the 2nd half of last season did and only focus on one/a couple characters for a full episode.  I think it's fine every once in awhile like this one but if it's 2-3 weeks before we see Rick and that group again, I'll be disappointed (though I understand what happened in last night's ep was probably occurring at the same time as Daryl hanging out with the claimers).
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »
It'd be different if I gave a rats a$$ about Beth....but I don't, so for me this episode and actually any episode that has spent more than three minutes on her wasn't impressive. It's a bummer too because this seasons been on fire....for me this episode was merely....meh....and the thing about it is that there will be at least one more episode like this....presumably though it'll explain how Carol got there. Pretty sure this explains who's with Daryl...its that Noah kid and I suppose the group will now go and rescue Carol and Beth.
I agree. The episode was weak and I was just tired of seeing another "crazy" group of people just like the town and the governor. I could see the rescue mission miles ahead.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2014, 09:40:09 AM »
I agree. The episode was weak and I was just tired of seeing another "crazy" group of people just like the town and the governor. I could see the rescue mission miles ahead.

I generally don't like Beth either. The girl who plays her isn't a good actress, but I thought she did alright here. What I liked is that this storyline further shows us how the zombie apocalypse has crazified everyone. The episode didn't show us how much time elapsed so it's possible that what's happening here parallels Daryl's time with the claimers, but once Carol shows up it throws that out the window unless we are just to assume a lot of time has passed. Carol being the bad ass she is now probably wont let these people control her for very long, so rescue mission or not, we are probably going to see some action soon. This hospital seems to be heavily armed as was Woodsbury, but we have a showrunner who gives a fuck so if this is supposed to be similar to that storyline, it will ultimately be handled better.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »
but I thought she did alright here.

Good point...she did do a pretty good job....it's just unfortunate that her characters been 'wasted' thus far which makes it tough for me to engage and care about what happens to her

but we have a showrunner who gives a fuck so if this is supposed to be similar to that storyline, it will ultimately be handled better.

Agreed....that's why I'm not completely frustrated. I've gotta trust that when viewed as a whole this story arc will make sense and not be just filler.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »
A couple of things I really liked about the episode:

The way you couldn't really tell, to begin with, was if it was starting out in the present time or not. The room looked so non-zombie apocalypse to start out that it was disorienting. Then you start to notice that there are car batteries attached to equipment, and power cords strung up in the hall. The slow reveal of their obsessive compulsion to establish normal order on their environment was creepy and well done.

Beth, keeping quiet about where she's from and who she'd been with previously. I like that the show clearly smashed her naivete for good.

And finally, the show won't linger on this group. It's already set up to come crashing down. Last season, we would have had to suffer through weeks of inane naval gazing and soul searching.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2014, 10:33:23 AM »
Emily Kinney is super cute tho
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2014, 10:36:48 AM »

Yep. And she's in her 30's playing a teenager.

Beth, keeping quiet about where she's from and who she'd been with previously. I like that the show clearly smashed her naivete for good.

Having her quickly identify and call out the Dr. that she knew that he had her kill that man because he was a Dr. as well was a cool character trait to add to Beth....that she understands how the world is operating now.

Also, I think that the Dr. is the 'leader' or 'boss'.....that he's the one behind it all and it's just another layer of how messed up that group is.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »

She could be the hottest woman in the world, but if her acting sucks, I'm not going to like her.

I still don't understand how or why the director didn't shoot another take of her drinking the moonshine. She drank it like it was water, when in reality it would have burned the fuck out of her throat and she would have been coughing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »
I don't know what you're all talking about. I thought this was good episode. The pacing was fine and even the quiet moments/episode works so much better this season than last. And I am usually the Walking Dead sceptic, but this season is still impressing me.

Does it top last week's episode? Of course not, last week was mental. It literally can't always be like that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »
I don't know what you're all talking about. I thought this was good episode. The pacing was fine and even the quiet moments/episode works so much better this season than last. And I am usually the Walking Dead sceptic, but this season is still impressing me.

The season has been great!!!.... and I'm sure when looked at as a whole this episode (and the subsequent, assumed 'rescue' episode) will be just fine. My largest argument is the time spent on the character Beth....because of how much a 'non' factor she's been. I just prefer the episodes to 'mean' something and to me Beth is a waste of time. Maybe this is Gimples effort and way to develop Beth's character into something more.....but to this point anytime she's on screen I kind of lose interest because in my eyes she's stealing time/scenes/story from other more important...more interesting characters.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »
Yea, but when she sticks that scalpel in the doctor's eye because he wants to put Carol down...you'll be lovin' it!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
I thought the episode was okay. I didn't mind it that much, but on the contrary it didn't feel like a lot really happened.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2014, 12:28:51 PM »
I hope they just cut to carol and beth walking away from the hospital in flames and carol covered in blood. And never mention anything else.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
I was holding my breath about this episode, as Beth is definitely one of the least inspiring characters in the show. I said to a co-worker that I really hope they wrap it up in one go.

Which they didn't, and I'm not as fazed as I thought I would be. Yeah, it's just another crazy community, but they did enough to develop it well and differentiate it from others the show has shown. And compared to Woodbury and Terminus, although kind of the blandest, this one was the most believable, which gives it a strange cold tension.

I thought there were enough characters just interesting enough to keep the hour going, Dawn and the doctor in particular. And they established an environment that, when you throw Carol as we now know her into it, definitely has potential for an exciting ending.

I spent the hour looking for characters they might save, if Beth, Carol and Daryl rescue anyone but themselves. Maybe Noah is lingering beyond the hospital with Daryl? Could they still save the doctor, if he helps them?

Next week, I doubt we see anyone but Glenn and Maggies new group throughout the entire episode.
Yeah, as soon as I saw that, I was kind of peeved. I'd much rather they wrap up the hospital, then move on to another strand of the story, than jump about leaving things unfinished. But maybe they're doing it for a reason to do with groups meeting up further ahead.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »

Does it top last week's episode? Of course not, last week was mental. It literally can't always be like that.

So much concurrence and logic. First people bitch about not showing Beth at all and then they bitch about them showing her.  :lol (not in reference to anyone here, but the dudes I watched this ep with; and a lot of IGN commenters) Really not much more to add. I loved that I got to see that cocksucker Gorman die a horrid death, I was fearful they'd have this cur as a new mini-antagonist. I liked the exposition and the tension throughout and while it was slower, this was a really well designed mini-community and I await to see how Beth and Carol fuck their shit up, as they are definitely my favorite female characters now (funny, they started out my most hated; and Michonne is a genderless devil and is god-tier). Beth really is strong now and she's got some resolve and willpower to boot. Fuckin' Gorman. GAWD, even his name is like I'm farting out my mouth.

I hope they just cut to carol and beth walking away from the hospital in flames and carol covered in blood. And never mention anything else.

Seriously, I would be totally okay with this and it wouldn't be farfetched in the least.  :rollin Although I hope we get to see it all in detail. I like to watch.  :police:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:47:20 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »
Good episode even though I think everyone who thought it was average is justified just cause it centered around Beth heh
It seems like no safe community can be built in the zombie apocalypse without a psychotic leader, it just won't work with a leveled headed leader in charge, is the message I'm getting from The Walking Dead :D
I agree with everyone that Tyrese is awful but my reasons are 90% actor and 10% the way the character is presented, I could have still been wondering why he behaves as he does if the actor wasn't not so plain.
I liked seeing downtown Atlanta again, the post apocalyptic scenery is much more evident and enjoyable in metropolitan settings as opposed to the Hercules/Xena green landscape settings they've been sticking to.

Pretty sure this explains who's with Daryl...its that Noah kid and I suppose the group will now go and rescue Carol and Beth.

I thought what happened was that after Chris Rock had escaped he met Daryl and Carol who had arrived the night before and started watching the place from the outside, Rock told them he knew Beth and the way to sneak into the community, he told them Dawn won't take Daryl cause he's an able bodied man who can fight back and would probably take Carol since she looks like a weak old woman, so somehow Carol let herself cross ways with the cops to get in and escape with Beth somehow with help from Daryl from the outside.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »
I thought what happened was that after Chris Rock had escaped he met Daryl and Carol who had arrived the night before and started watching the place from the outside, Rock told them he knew Beth and the way to sneak into the community, he told them Dawn won't take Daryl cause he's an able bodied man who can fight back and would probably take Carol since she looks like a weak old woman, so somehow Carol let herself cross ways with the cops to get in and escape with Beth somehow with help from Daryl from the outside.

That could be the case....sounds plausible. I don't see why then they wouldn't have shown both Daryl and Carol come out of the woods at night to greet Michonne. I had the impression that Daryl went first to check it out so that if the group was there they'd see a familiar face? He then would call back to Noah....who I guess....he ran across as he escaped and he and Carol had a run in with the Cops...she getting caught. I guess we will find out sooner or later....I mean, it doesn't seem like Gimple is in to dragging things out at all.......

COMIC Spoiler Talk
Andrew Lincoln has been clean shaven in some recent appearances and his only indication as to what's going on is that some 'pretty cool stuff'....pretty generic but it makes me believe that at some point this season, possibly mid season finale or shortly thereafter they either find Alexandria or that small community of homes where they camped out for a few days allowing them to re-group and shave/rest/refuel. I'm thinking Alexandria.....and if that's the case that would lend a good possibility of Negan making an appearance as soon as next season or maybe even the finale of this season??

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
All the hype for the Season 5 opener finally got me to start watching it, and hoo boy what a show. Just started S4, I'll be back in a week...