Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5  (Read 86483 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« on: September 25, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »
Season 5 is right around the corner! :metal  I enjoyed last season and how Gimple (and the writers) kind of righted the ship after Mazerra led the show astray IMO. I'm looking forward to this season and I know trailers are crafted to get you pumped...that's their job...but the trailers for the season look intense!! Can't wait!

Oh and....saw this as well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=-6BsMzc9mMs&app=desktop&noredirect=1
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
Re: THE WALKING DEAD - SEASON 5
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:45:09 PM »
My view of the show has gotten a bit more negative as time has passed. I couldn't agree more that Season 4 was a big step up from Season 3 and hope that they execute the coming arcs well, but still can't shake the feeling that the show is a huge missed opportunity. In retrospect, it feels like, to me anyways, that each season only had about an episode or two that really made the most of the show's potential. Even the comic is getting uneventful, even when there was a war going on. And then something like "The Grove" comes about and you recognize that those involved are capable of doing great things with the show. Plus, I'm a sucker for speculation and all that
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:56:06 PM »
My view of the show has gotten a bit more negative as time has passed. I couldn't agree more that Season 4 was a big step up from Season 3 and hope that they execute the coming arcs well, but still can't shake the feeling that the show is a huge missed opportunity. In retrospect, it feels like, to me anyways, that each season only had about an episode or two that really made the most of the show's potential. Even the comic is getting uneventful, even when there was a war going on. And then something like "The Grove" comes about and you recognize that those involved are capable of doing great things with the show. Plus, I'm a sucker for speculation and all that
I agree with all of this. I think the show's immense popularity is what hurt it, because as time goes on it seems they're clamoring to keep the high viewership by throwing out the drama and any sense of subtlety and heaping in more action and gore. I'm having a lot of trouble maintaining interest. The tone during the first and second seasons was pretty much perfect.

I mean, during the last season I was bored watching the zombie action scenes because they are shoehorned into in every episode and at this point they are all basically identical. :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 02:45:09 AM »
A lot of the "gore" stems from the fact that a majority of fans really felt like the Sophia Arc in Season 2 was painfully slow, and drug out forever. So the producers decided to ramp up the action with "Walker Kills". I agreed that arc unfolding was exhausting. I think that is the biggest problem for me. Too much inconsistency with the pace of the story. I get you have to slow things down sometimes, but there are times it really drags.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:28:17 AM »
Yeah. With the split, for example, some episodes moved very quickly, while others were just boring filler, aka utter shit. Fuck Beth and Daryl and the fanservice.

I think for me, the problem is that the zombies don't present much of a danger anymore, and when they do, it's because of the characters being really fucking dumb or really fucking dumb ideas like the coincidence of zombies falling through the roof just as the group goes into that store. Same with the 2nd season of the game, everybody's too stupid and the situations manage to be the all too ridiculous "just for the sake of conflict" kind of blech that's outrageous even for a story about friggin zombies. Jane and Kenny were both terrible people. The situations feel too unnatural. By far, the most intense moments of Season 4 were Rick hiding in the house and finally being confronted with Joe's group.  The last time they worried me at all was when Otis died way back when. Hell, Terminus is the conflict going into Season 5 and I just don't care really, as much as I liked "A". But, they can surprise. Still hoping for the best and I'll still be full of what will eventually be proven as false theories.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:44:59 AM »
This has me pretty excited and optimistic for it.  Sounds like they aren't going to drag out the cliffhanger from last year.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »
Loved season 1 and 2. Liked season 3, but didn't really care for season 4 at all. Still optemistic about season 5 though.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »
Ditto for the above.    Does anyone know how many seasons they plan to make?  Not long now......  :smiley:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 07:25:28 PM »
The comics are at issue 132 as of tomorrow. In the show they are roughly at issue 61, or the start of Volume 11. Terminus isn't in the comics of course, but if they're based off who I think hunters/cannibals, they have plenty of story left to cover. At this pace, I'd say a good 3 or 4 more seasons before they finish Volume 21. The following Volume(22) is a MAJOR turning point in the comics, and the end of Volume 21 could easily be rewritten into a series finale. If ratings die down by then or if they just get bored with the show.

I could be wrong. I usually am.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 02:09:39 AM »
I lost most of my interest in the show after S1. There has been a few great episodes since then, but also a lot of filler. I'll continue watching because I like it where they left things at the end of S4, but I don't expect it to return to form.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 06:44:17 AM »
I am excited to watch the new season, but as many have said already, I am not quite as intrigue by the show as I once was.  Its just been too inconsistent the past couple seasons.  I really loved the first two season and its gone downhill since then.  Last season was better at times, but other times I felt like I just didn't care about any of the characters so it makes it less enjoyable.  I will be watching though and hoping for a good season!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 07:54:50 AM »
I actually think that Gimple has done a great job at getting the show back on track from how far off Mazerra had taken it considering where the show was at when he was given the reigns. His return to more comic based themes has been refreshing and I think (am hoping) that now that this will really be the first season he'll be able to claim as 'his' that it will return to that early S1/S2 feel.

As far as how long the show will run....there's plenty of material for sure. IMO it's a matter of keeping Andrew Lincoln well paid so he doesn't bolt and figuring out how to incorporate Chandler Riggs real life aging into the seasons. Plenty of cool characters and interesting story left to introduce and if Gimple sticks around and keeps that comic book theme going I think the show has staying power.

I'd like to see them go Game of Thrones though and kill off a Main character within a show or two....preferably Daryl. I like his character a lot but that character is becoming bigger than the show itself in some ways and it's time to remind everyone the show is about Rick and Carl.....not Daryl.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 09:04:36 AM »
I say kill everyone off but Daryl, but if he died at least it would be a huge surprise.

What every happened to the spin off show?  I remember hearing about that last year that a new Walking Dead show would be created featuring new characters and a new location but based on the same timeframe?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »
What every happened to the spin off show?  I remember hearing about that last year that a new Walking Dead show would be created featuring new characters and a new location but based on the same timeframe?

https://news.moviefone.com/2014/09/29/main-characters-walking-dead-spin-off/

It'll be interesting to see how they do this. I'll watch for sure....

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »

Yay, a bunch of cliches and teenagers...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »

Yay, a bunch of cliches and teenagers...

Thanks for the link, but those characters dont sound interesting but its way too early to speculate.  I do like the idea that it will be based more around the beginning of the whole spread of the zombies.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »
I think the idea of a spinoff series is absolutely unnecessary, and at this stage really don't feel like ever watching it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 01:26:31 PM »
I think the idea of a spinoff series is absolutely unnecessary, and at this stage really don't feel like ever watching it.

Although I have 'wished' for the character Daryl to be killed off merely to show some balls by the writers.....that's the perfect character to evolve a spin off series around. Have them battling a hoard of zombie or some rival humans and have him fall off a bridge into swift moving water or something like that.....never to be seen again by this series. Open the spinoff with him coming to in a strange new place.....

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 05:34:35 PM »
Just watched a marathon of episodes (Foxtel Australia) so I am ready for Monday!  :smiley:       
I wouldn't miss Karl.....so they could kill his character off... but they can't kill Daryl....I need some eye candy  :laugh:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Just watched a marathon of episodes (Foxtel Australia) so I am ready for Monday!  :smiley:       
I wouldn't miss Karl.....so they could kill his character off... but they can't kill Daryl....I need some eye candy  :laugh:

Carl isn't going anywhere anytime soon. His character and Rick are essentially a mainstay.....

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 03:31:10 AM »
Gonna watch the Season 4 finale before 5 starts.

Would not watch a spinoff.

I get what you mean but it doesn't bother me hugely, to be honest. While the show's around, it's something fun to watch every week that occasionally pulls off truly brilliant episodes.

I mean, during the last season I was bored watching the zombie action scenes because they are shoehorned into in every episode and at this point they are all basically identical. :lol
Maybe I just have too little faith in TV/film as a story medium, but let's be honest, how many different ways can you do a zombie attack? From a story perspective, production/cinematography perspective, etc? The show's been around for four seasons now. Of course it's gonna get harder to find mind-blowing new ways to get excitement out of those scenes.

I actually think the first season gets overglorified these days. OK, so the pilot was amazing, and the rest was great, but it wasn't perfect. Aside from the pilot, and potentially the finale, none of the eps stand out as one of the crushers this show is capable of. I think Seasons 3 and 4 were just as good, with just as consistent highs, and (aside from maybe the pilot) probably higher highs too, albeit also lower lows.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 04:08:15 AM »
I get what you mean but it doesn't bother me hugely, to be honest. While the show's around, it's something fun to watch every week that occasionally pulls off truly brilliant episodes.
That's my approach too. There are very few shows where every episode is great. People keep drawing comparisons with Game of Thrones, which is FAR from perfect and still has some weak episodes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 07:05:10 PM »
Less than 90 minutes before it is on in Australia....I think we are getting it 6 hours after the states... has anyone watched it yet?  :corn

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »
Holy Shit

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 08:15:27 PM »
Wow. Definitely one of the best episodes this show has ever produced. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 09:09:25 PM »
That may have been my favorite episode, so far.   The suspense was unmanageable!  F*ck!  And to finally have the group reunite.  I was tearing up when Daryl saw Carol for the first time.  gad that was epic!   Great episode! 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »
That may have been my favorite episode, so far.   The suspense was unmanageable!  F*ck!  And to finally have the group reunite.  I was tearing up when Daryl saw Carol for the first time.  gad that was epic!   Great episode!

Exactly my sentiments!!! Why doesn't Gimple write every episode?!! Every episode he writes is GOLD....he 'gets' this show. I loved the character that Tyrese was forced to kill. He laid it all out there as honest as he could have. Love the swagger that Rick has now....it all was good. Any I enjoyed how they re-introduced Morgan at the end as well. It's interesting that Rick is still leaving signs for him to follow....

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
Brilliant episode. Besides the all out mayhem (which was awesome.) lots of things came into play. If anyone did not watch the talking dead after. watch it. I think these guys are back. I think the guys are on the same page. Tis can truly be a brilliant season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »
What I hope they are done with and they don't 'waste' time on this season is more explanation of 'how' the Termites became who they were. I already get it....no need for further explanation or any more scenes depicting them re-taking Terminus. I don't care about those characters....it's done...it's over with.

Although they did say that the actor who played the lead Termite was signed for the season so I'm sure he'll crop back up.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »
We definitely haven't seen the last of Gareth and friends. I 100% believe that they will become the Hunters from the comic. Hunting down Rick's group to extract revenge.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
We definitely haven't seen the last of Gareth and friends. I 100% believe that they will become the Hunters from the comic. Hunting down Rick's group to extract revenge.

Yep....agreed. At this point...given what Gimple has done in such a short time, I'll trust the dude that it's gonna be good  Oh, and I wonder whose leg their gonna eat  :lol

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »
I agree with all of you...great start to the new season....I was scared to breathe in case I missed something.

I was thinking Carol was going to be left behind...that reunion was nice.

I don't know the actors name but he played a nice character in Treme....then when he had the knife to Judiths' throat I thought kill him,
so glad Tyrese did.

When you said Who is Morgan, I was a little confused ...I went back and waited until the end of the credits to see him, so many people will miss that...unless they know in advance.   Last time Rick left him he was a little cray cray....he seems better.

Looking forward to next week......Now I will go looking for this talking dead The Trooper mentioned.    :smiley:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »

Yep....agreed. At this point...given what Gimple has done in such a short time, I'll trust the dude that it's gonna be good  Oh, and I wonder whose leg their gonna eat  :lol

I would say Bob. He and Sasha kinda remind me of Dale and Andrea.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »

I would say Bob. He and Sasha kinda remind me of Dale and Andrea.

I could see that

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 10:19:24 PM »
Maybe even Carol. She did kill Gareth's mom...