Author Topic: The PC thread  (Read 101269 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The PC thread
« Reply #560 on: February 24, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »
Nice when you can "borrow" stuff from work.  :lol

I was actually thinking of a 27" but from what I gathered it's native resolution is 2560x1440 so anything under might look streched or downscaled. Those monitors I looked at was also a bit too pricey for me so I thought a more pimped out 24" 1080p monitor was the best of both worlds.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #561 on: February 24, 2018, 10:17:28 AM »
Dual monitors are the sweet spot for me. I tried a triple set up for about a month before I realized that unless you're coding, doing a shitload of multitasking at all times (content creation while watching streams, or streaming, coding, etc.) it's just not going to be utilized. I also tried the single ultrawide monitor for...about two weeks. It was awesome for gaming, but not nearly awesome enough to take away the real estate you get from an entire other screen. It's a lot more annoying to constantly resize windows and such to make it "like you have two monitors" instead of just dragging and dropping when you actually do.

I just now moved into 1440p at 144hz and it's incredible. But my secondary monitor is still 1080 at 144hz and it's not too much of a difference for gaming. Basically anything at 144hz if you can keep up with the speed with your components is just the friggin' best.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #562 on: August 20, 2018, 01:28:58 PM »
So Nvidia finally annouced their new consumer GPUs, RTX 2070, 2080 and 2080 Ti. They seem to be really hyping up these cards as a big step forward especially with real-time ray tracing, can't wait for the benchmarks to pop up. The price though!  :eek

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/?nvid=nv-int-gcxxpn-56591
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: August 20, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »
Definitely seems like a nice upgrade, but with a 1080, I dont plam on biting for another cycle or two.

Online faizoff

« Reply #564 on: August 20, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
The prices on those are crazy though I think very much inline with expectations. I'm very curious if they are truly above and beyond anything we've seen. I'm still on very old tech as I barely game, still on a 2011 AMD Radeon 6780. This thing still serves me quite well. The only time I'm upgrading is when I get a whole new PC with a set of 4k monitors. Though I don't see that happening for at least another 5 years. Crazy to think I built this rig in 2011 and shows no signs of slowing down.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: August 20, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »
I know I shouldn't but I really want that 2080ti, think of the FPS I'll get on RollerCoaster Tycoon :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #566 on: August 20, 2018, 11:25:24 PM »
I'm thinking about selling my PC. It's a few years old but isn't used much, I'm just not sure if I should part it out or try to sell it as one unit. Shipping would be a hell of a lot because it's a huge and heavy case, too. I plan on building another in the future but for now I feel like I should part with it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: August 21, 2018, 01:56:10 AM »
I'm thinking about selling my PC. It's a few years old but isn't used much, I'm just not sure if I should part it out or try to sell it as one unit. Shipping would be a hell of a lot because it's a huge and heavy case, too. I plan on building another in the future but for now I feel like I should part with it.

If you still like the case, sell the parts and hold the case for your next build.  If its a used custom PC, I'm not sure what value youd really get, my gut says the parts would be easier to sell than the whole.  Maybe I am wrong though.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #568 on: August 21, 2018, 05:51:18 AM »
Anyone use Firefox Portable (or any other portable app) on a USB drive?  I use it for a while but then it became way too slow to be useful.  I realize its a lot of data transfer to and from the flash drive, but if that is the case, how are portable apps supposed to be useful?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: August 21, 2018, 07:02:02 AM »

If you still like the case, sell the parts and hold the case for your next build.  If its a used custom PC, I'm not sure what value youd really get, my gut says the parts would be easier to sell than the whole.  Maybe I am wrong though.

I had a guy offer me 500 for it which I think is fair given it's a few years old but the case brand new costs almost 600  :lol The guts would definitely be easier to part with... I almost sold it to the guy but backed out because that same day Monster Hunter World's release date was announced but it looks like I won't have time for it anyway (and now I've lost all contact with him, sadly).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #570 on: August 21, 2018, 08:29:32 AM »
Has anyone ever reverted their PC from Windows 10 back to Windows 7? 

Mine went through the forced Windows 10 upgrade a few years ago and over the last six months to a year, I have one windows update that refuses to complete and gets stuck at 81%.  I have to hard reboot the computer and it goes back to the prior version of 10 - the windows FAQ says that it is due to an old wireless/Wi-Fi card.  I have problems with the wireless card's drivers as well, so the PC constantly loses internet connection - I suspect this is because it can't complete the upgrade.

A computer repair shop recommended and offered to revert back to Windows 7 for $150, including the backing up of all of my files.  I can do that manually via an external hard drive.  The update settings have a selection to go back to the prior version of Windows and I'm very tempted to give it a try.  They said that Windows 10 is just too buggy and causes nothing but problems, which I'd agree with.

Before I get involved in this, I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone has done this, and if it caused any difficulties or problems. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: August 21, 2018, 08:39:28 AM »
I've never done a roll back like that.  I did revert for a bit to Windows 7 when I rebuilt my PC last year, but I must say, I like 10 a lot more.  I don't really have issues with it (I didn't with 7 either) so I eventually upgraded my newer PC to Windows 10 like 6 months ago and haven't looked back.  (I actually needed Windows 10 to play a game, so it finally forced my hand even though I did want to upgrade, I had just been lazy)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #572 on: August 21, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
The Win 7 vs 10 thing is pretty polarizing. In the end they both have their pros and cons. I have a friend that swears by 7, yet it gave me nothing but fits anytime I tried to install it. Win 10 pretty much installs and configures itself. I've now set up a win 7 part in my box at home and I'm using them both, so I'm better able to compare them. I will say that it's nice to use 7 and feel like you still own the fucking machine. Win 10 is a never-ending series of nag screens, forced updates, and outright denials. When a computer I built years ago tells me I don't have permission to access a god damned file it really fills me with rage. Win 7 has some interface things that really bug me, and I still haven't been able to get explorer to work consistently across various folders. Otherwise it seems alright to use.

As for graphics, that realtime ray tracing really does look spectacular. I suspect it'll be far easier for developers to work with, as well. That might be the first advancement in graphics that is really noticeable to me. Most of the time it's just more dots coming faster (like that Battlefield demo). The ray tracing actually made it look good. However, I have no need of it. I tend to stay 3-5 years behind graphics.

A couple of months ago my r9 270 crapped out. I shopped around and got a great deal on a 290x, which is still a beast of a card for most purposes. For the last 21 years I've been married to ATI(AMD). Mostly because I use two cards to run 3 monitors, and every time I upgrade cards I shift the replaced one down to secondary. For the last 21 years I've been cursing ATI for their shitty drivers. All the way back to my first All-In-Wonder they've been fucking nightmares. Trying to get two cards from the same family to play nice together really shouldn't be a problem. At this point it's pretty much impossible with ATI. A week after installing that 290x an failing to get it all to work as it should I finally decided to rid myself of ATI forever. Went out and bought a 1060, slapped it in, and haven't thought about it since. It's fucking glorious. It even runs 3 monitors without any problems. It's like coming out of a freaking cave and seeing the rest of the world. Fuck ATI.

edit: Oh, and that was going to be my advice to Grappler. Install Win7 on a separate partition and migrate over at your leisure. Windows actually works pretty well in dual-boots. If you want to keep all of your same program installs and everything you're probably SOL.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: August 21, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
A couple of months ago my r9 270 crapped out. I shopped around and got a great deal on a 290x, which is still a beast of a card for most purposes. For the last 21 years I've been married to ATI(AMD). Mostly because I use two cards to run 3 monitors, and every time I upgrade cards I shift the replaced one down to secondary. For the last 21 years I've been cursing ATI for their shitty drivers. All the way back to my first All-In-Wonder they've been fucking nightmares. Trying to get two cards from the same family to play nice together really shouldn't be a problem. At this point it's pretty much impossible with ATI. A week after installing that 290x an failing to get it all to work as it should I finally decided to rid myself of ATI forever. Went out and bought a 1060, slapped it in, and haven't thought about it since. It's fucking glorious. It even runs 3 monitors without any problems. It's like coming out of a freaking cave and seeing the rest of the world. Fuck ATI.

Ya, I had an ATI card in the late 90's at it drove me bananas. I think it was around 2000 that I said fuck it and bought my first nVidia. It was so great that I bought about 40 shares of it's initial public offering. It split pretty soon after that and a couple of years later I sold it. God, I wish I had those shares back now!  :lol

Anyway, I've stuck with their cards ever since. I love how quite and cool the latest generation runs.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: August 21, 2018, 01:47:26 PM »
I was reading the part about EB using two cards to run three monitors and thinking to myself "damn, I could have done that with one nvidia card from my last build"  Glad to see you guys came over to the nvidia side, they are clearly winning this battle right now. 

I'd say the ray tracing stuff looks really cool, but it's too new of a technology to buy into the first round of it at this price point.  (besides, I mentioned I own a 1080, no need to upgrade anyway)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: August 21, 2018, 01:58:19 PM »
Ray Tracing new? You must be talking about something I'm not aware of... we used to ray trace 3d models with 386's. Of course, it wasn't in real time. I remember rendering 480 pictures that took over night to compute.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: August 21, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »
Ray Tracing new? You must be talking about something I'm not aware of... we used to ray trace 3d models with 386's. Of course, it wasn't in real time. I remember rendering 480 pictures that took over night to compute.
I'm not qualified to talk about this kind of tech but from what I gather and as you say, it's all about Real-time Ray Tracing like using it in a multiplayer setting and also how powerful they say it is.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: August 21, 2018, 02:11:27 PM »
I did a little searching, and it does appear that the promise of ray tracing in real time is coming very soon with Nvidia 2080 RTX and engine developers like Unreal. It's crazy to think that I'll see this technology in my life time. 20 years ago, I never thought I would.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #578 on: August 21, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
I did a little searching, and it does appear that the promise of ray tracing in real time is coming very soon with Nvidia 2080 RTX and engine developers like Unreal. It's crazy to think that I'll see this technology in my life time. 20 years ago, I never thought I would.
This is one of the demos from Nvidia's website. It definitely looks like a gamechanger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yn09UHWYFY&feature=youtu.be
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #579 on: August 21, 2018, 02:52:49 PM »
This is one of the demos from Nvidia's website. It definitely looks like a gamechanger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yn09UHWYFY&feature=youtu.be

Damn. I need Skyrim "filmed" that way and then I can retire and die in peace.

Seriously - and slightly off-topic - I remember my teen self playing Zack McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders and thinking it the most immersive virtual experience ever. Have I (we) really lived through the greatest and fastest technological leap in human history?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #580 on: April 11, 2019, 09:40:17 AM »
Hey guys, bumping this thread, because I have a bit of an issue.  So Windows decides to do an update on my computer a few days ago (running Windows 10 here) and since then, I have been having issues where my cursor is not interacting with anything.  Then it looks like my desktop is non-responsive to anything I attempted to do.  When I attempted to restart, the login time is way longer than expected.  Plus, I think this update had affected my internet connection as I needed to unplug and replug my cable to get things going again.  I managed to get a systems restore to before this update and it looks fine, but I'm concern that Windows want to push for this upgrade and try to install it and then the headaches happen again (and it already did that once).  Does anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions I can do?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:13:14 AM by Anguyen92 »

Online Grappler

« Reply #581 on: April 11, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
Hey guys, bumping this thread, because I have a bit of an issue.  So Windows decides to do an update on my computer (running Windows 10 here) and since then, I have been having issues where my cursor is not interacting with anything.  Then it looks like my desktop is non-responsive to anything I attempted to do.  When I attempted to restart, the login time is way longer than expected.  Plus, I think this update had affected my internet connection as I needed to unplug and replug my cable to get things going again.  I managed to get a systems restore to before this update and it looks fine, but I'm concern that Windows want to push for this upgrade and try to install it and then the headaches happen again (and it already that once).  Does anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions I can do?

I had a Windows 7 computer (purchased in 2010) that forced the Windows 10 upgrade.  After the initial upgrade, my wi-fi started working intermittently, constantly dropping the signal.  A google search shows that Windows 10 requires a current/newer wireless card, and it appears to be a common problem among computers that were forced to upgrade.

I'm to the point where I'm just going to have someone put a new wireless card into my computer.  It works fine for what I need, and I'm not going to buy a whole new computer.  I just need to be able to keep a constant connection.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #582 on: April 11, 2019, 09:49:02 AM »
Hey guys, bumping this thread, because I have a bit of an issue.  So Windows decides to do an update on my computer (running Windows 10 here) and since then, I have been having issues where my cursor is not interacting with anything.  Then it looks like my desktop is non-responsive to anything I attempted to do.  When I attempted to restart, the login time is way longer than expected.  Plus, I think this update had affected my internet connection as I needed to unplug and replug my cable to get things going again.  I managed to get a systems restore to before this update and it looks fine, but I'm concern that Windows want to push for this upgrade and try to install it and then the headaches happen again (and it already that once).  Does anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions I can do?

I had a Windows 7 computer (purchased in 2010) that forced the Windows 10 upgrade.  After the initial upgrade, my wi-fi started working intermittently, constantly dropping the signal.  A google search shows that Windows 10 requires a current/newer wireless card, and it appears to be a common problem among computers that were forced to upgrade.

I'm to the point where I'm just going to have someone put a new wireless card into my computer.  It works fine for what I need, and I'm not going to buy a whole new computer.  I just need to be able to keep a constant connection.

Maybe give one of these a try first?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFC7VDC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07LFC7VDC&pd_rd_w=YQAmN&pf_rd_p=80559f3c-f83b-49c1-8a72-40f936e9df7a&pd_rd_wg=ZQkV7&pf_rd_r=K31CDMRH3J9YJNW86N6H&pd_rd_r=2fa2d113-5c71-11e9-b4f1-c96257ec4ded&smid=A3KHUM65I50XQR

If it works, it'd save you a bunch of money

Online Grappler

« Reply #583 on: April 11, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
Wow - that's fantastic.  I had no idea those existed.  I'm going to look into those and may give it a try first!

Thanks!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #584 on: April 11, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
Ok, I think I might have find the source of my problems.  For some reason, when installing this recent update back on Tuesday, the issues I'm having seems to only affect computers, that is using Windows, that has the Avast Anti-virus program which I think I have installed but cannot confirm for the time being since I am at work.  So for now, I will have to do a systems restore to before the update was installed and prevent Windows from doing any updates until this issue has been resolved.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #585 on: April 11, 2019, 10:42:04 AM »

Maybe give one of these a try first?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFC7VDC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07LFC7VDC&pd_rd_w=YQAmN&pf_rd_p=80559f3c-f83b-49c1-8a72-40f936e9df7a&pd_rd_wg=ZQkV7&pf_rd_r=K31CDMRH3J9YJNW86N6H&pd_rd_r=2fa2d113-5c71-11e9-b4f1-c96257ec4ded&smid=A3KHUM65I50XQR

If it works, it'd save you a bunch of money
I use an even cheaper one out in the shop to stream YT and it works like a champ.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #586 on: April 11, 2019, 10:50:38 AM »
My process for setting up a new computer (or reinstalling windows):

Install OS.
Let it update itself and all of the drivers.
Disable windows update and all driver auto-updates.
Only install updates manually and only when it becomes necessary for specific circumstances.
Wait six months.
Curse all the gods I can think of when some update managed to happen despite my intention and bricks my computer.

And sadly they're making it harder and harder to prevent updates. We're to the point of registry hacks and lots of scavenging different processes and scheduled events. Not to mention installed software. Firefox has buried "disable autoupdate" in the registry, and their updates are a god damned disaster. For something that's supposed to be "for the people" they're pretty rigid about what your browser must look like.

And for the morbidly curious, look into the windows 10 task scheduler some time. There are a hundred things it does on a regular basis, and to disable them selectively would take hours.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: April 11, 2019, 10:55:14 AM »
I used to be against updates. Then when I built my last rig with Win 10 I just went through and let every update happen. I haven't had a single problem. All my other problems usually came down to me not installing updates for years on end. I dunno... my PC life is much easier ever since I just kept regularly updating my rig. But I only use it to game or put on music anyway, it's kind of sacred in that regard, so I probably miss all the goings-on with the negative effects...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: April 11, 2019, 11:27:49 AM »
Yea, I kind of stopped caring about updates in general.  Just let them go, I haven't had much troubles at all with Windows 10.  I used to be picky but it's a lot of effort and since I don't experience enough issues to justify the effort, I just let it fly now.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #589 on: April 11, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
MS isn't doesn't have a great track record with their updates. Anytime I have to troubleshoot some peculiarity it seems the number one answer that Google turns up is "uninstall update KV37782546 and it should resolve your issue." I know the first final straw for me was when I woke up on a lazy Saturday morning looking to drink coffee and play Skryim only to find that my GPU drivers had been nuked. ATI drivers. Two packages for three monitors. Aside from wrecking my Saturday morning it took months to get everything configured the way I wanted it again. There have been subsequent final straws.

Honestly, brickings are pretty uncommon. The problem for me is that my computer is a cornerstone, and I want it to always work and look the way I want it to which requires a tremendous amount of tweaking and configuring. Even a trivial "upgrade" from MS's point of view might undo a lot of stuff I did earlier, and there's a good chance I don't even remember how to get it back.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #590 on: April 11, 2019, 08:40:56 PM »
Ok, an update. I couldn't get the system restore going for some reason, but the good news is that I was able to uninstall that update and disable windows update, and I think it's running smoothly so I'm good for now until I get a better grasp of what I need to do in the long run.  Thanks for the perspectives, guys.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #591 on: April 14, 2019, 08:51:28 PM »
Anyone have any audio/video sync issues on Windows 10? I've been having this problem for months whether it's a DVD, a video on my hard drive, a video game, or a online video. I even installed Ubuntu to see if there would be a difference but nope. This makes me think it's not worth trying to reinstall Windows 10.

I've done a bunch of searches online and nothing has helped me out so far. Some people have even reinstalled Windows but the problem is still there. I've messed around with trying to update audio drivers but no luck. I bought a USB sound card and the audio was still out of sync. Updated BIOS & video card...no luck!

I use VLC media player and I can mess around with audio on that which helps alleviate the problem some what but it's never quite right...and that doesn't help out with online stuff or games  :censored
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #592 on: April 14, 2019, 10:29:46 PM »
If it does it in Ubuntu it's not a Windows problem. If it does it in games, Youtube, and VLC it's not a software problem. If it does it with a USB audio device then it's not a hardware problem. That leaves speakers and VGA. If you're just using typical desktop speakers then that's out. Perhaps check into the graphics and see if that's what's actually out of sync instead of the audio.
E.F. Benson

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #593 on: April 14, 2019, 11:20:01 PM »
If it does it in Ubuntu it's not a Windows problem. If it does it in games, Youtube, and VLC it's not a software problem. If it does it with a USB audio device then it's not a hardware problem. That leaves speakers and VGA. If you're just using typical desktop speakers then that's out. Perhaps check into the graphics and see if that's what's actually out of sync instead of the audio.

How do I do that?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #594 on: April 15, 2019, 08:09:24 AM »

How do I do that?
Damned if I know. I'd probably start with the graphics card manufacturer and see if other users have reported such a thing.
E.F. Benson