Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 114233 times)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #3080 on: March 20, 2024, 09:33:26 AM »
seems like he's already learned quite enough from it. he's learned that particular coworker is a douchenozzle
I had a boss once who was a huge asshole. He berated me in front of a couple coworkers once and I was pissed as hell at him, wanted to quit, etc. He was absolutely 100% wrong in the way that he gave me negative feedback. But some of what he said was correct. Had I not been able to step away from my negative feelings about him being an asshole, I would have continued my career doing a disservice to myself through the way I was working. I am now actually thankful that situation happened. Yes, he should have sat me down privately and coached me on how to work better, but I got what I got.
I am a supervisor at my business, and I can tell you that the culture here would 1000% be against your boss's methods, and I'm confident that if someone here pulled that stunt, a group of other supervisors/leaders would pull that boss aside and have a word of prayer with him, so to speak.
The culture/leadership at that company wasn't great. People were mostly scared of the guy. Thankfully I moved to a different boss shortly after (he actually got all his direct reports taken away, so they must have been paying sttention somewhat) and left the company a year or so later. Today, 13+ years more experience later, I would not allow that type of behavior to fly toward myself or anyone else were I to observe it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3081 on: March 20, 2024, 10:15:36 AM »
seems like he's already learned quite enough from it. he's learned that particular coworker is a douchenozzle
I had a boss once who was a huge asshole. He berated me in front of a couple coworkers once and I was pissed as hell at him, wanted to quit, etc. He was absolutely 100% wrong in the way that he gave me negative feedback. But some of what he said was correct. Had I not been able to step away from my negative feelings about him being an asshole, I would have continued my career doing a disservice to myself through the way I was working. I am now actually thankful that situation happened. Yes, he should have sat me down privately and coached me on how to work better, but I got what I got.
I am a supervisor at my business, and I can tell you that the culture here would 1000% be against your boss's methods, and I'm confident that if someone here pulled that stunt, a group of other supervisors/leaders would pull that boss aside and have a word of prayer with him, so to speak.
The culture/leadership at that company wasn't great. People were mostly scared of the guy. Thankfully I moved to a different boss shortly after (he actually got all his direct reports taken away, so they must have been paying sttention somewhat) and left the company a year or so later. Today, 13+ years more experience later, I would not allow that type of behavior to fly toward myself or anyone else were I to observe it.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #3082 on: March 21, 2024, 08:08:03 AM »
I've got to vent about something that's been driving me crazy lately. My friend insists on renting his router from his ISP, but it's causing nothing but headaches. Every time we need to use his internet, it's like wading through molasses, and I'm convinced it's because of that rental router they've got him stuck with. I've tried explaining the downsides, showing him articles online, but he won't budge. It's like he's convinced he's getting a deal because he's paying extra each month.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3083 on: March 21, 2024, 08:24:36 AM »
I've got to vent about something that's been driving me crazy lately. My friend insists on renting his router from his ISP, but it's causing nothing but headaches. Every time we need to use his internet, it's like wading through molasses, and I'm convinced it's because of that rental router they've got him stuck with. I've tried explaining the downsides, showing him articles online, but he won't budge. It's like he's convinced he's getting a deal because he's paying extra each month.

Is he of the sort that will be swayed by the "they're controlling your internet access and monitoring EVERYTHING you do!" angle?  :) :) :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3084 on: March 21, 2024, 08:27:15 AM »
Yeah, if he is not convinced that the savings he gets from having his own unit (assuming he is financially able to buy his own unit) and assurance of better service, then not sure anything can change his mind.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3085 on: March 21, 2024, 08:30:11 AM »
I dont even use my own router and I'm an IT guy  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3086 on: March 21, 2024, 08:36:24 AM »
Depending who the provider is, their units can make a huge difference.

At my old apartment, I had Spectrum and their unit was crap. I bought my own unit and my internet speed doubled. When I moved 2 years ago, the only available provider for that area is Verizon. I got their unit (and only use it on Wifi) and it's some of the best internet speed I have ever had. My friend, who lives nearby and also has Verizon, uses his own device and his internet is much slower than mine.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3087 on: March 21, 2024, 08:41:24 AM »

At my old apartment, I had Spectrum and their unit was crap. I bought my own unit and my internet speed doubled. When I moved 2 years ago, the only available provider for that area is Verizon. I got their unit (and only use it on Wifi) and it's some of the best internet speed I have ever had. My friend, who lives nearby and also has Verizon, uses his own device and his internet is much slower than mine.

I have verizon fios.  I pay for the lowest speed (50Mb) which they dont even offer anymore.  They've been trying to force me to upgrade to a new router and faster (more expensive) plan but I keep ignoring it.  I generally dont have home internet issues or slowness even with the slowest speed.  It's just a non issue for me, kind of like "don't fix what's not broken" which is my mentality for a lot of things when it comes to my home. I do bet if I just bought a router years ago, it would have long ago paid itself off and I'd be saving money though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: March 21, 2024, 08:51:12 AM »

Was the router "on them"?  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3089 on: March 21, 2024, 08:52:20 AM »

I have verizon fios.  I pay for the lowest speed (50Mb) which they dont even offer anymore.  They've been trying to force me to upgrade to a new router and faster (more expensive) plan but I keep ignoring it.  I generally dont have home internet issues or slowness even with the slowest speed.  It's just a non issue for me, kind of like "don't fix what's not broken" which is my mentality for a lot of things when it comes to my home. I do bet if I just bought a router years ago, it would have long ago paid itself off and I'd be saving money though.

Color me surprised, given all the high-end gaming you do.  That's a lesson for the kids, out there for sure.   I'm paying for the top end version (at the request of the wife, to be fair) and maybe it's a waste of money....  I know I'm not blown away by my internet speeds...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3090 on: March 21, 2024, 09:10:38 AM »
My router is "included" in the plan. Which is to say it's rolled into the plan and I'm paying for it whether I use it or not. WIFI is a different story and I will not pay for their gear.

Speed isn't something I care about beyond a certain point. So long as I can DL a movie in a reasonable amount of time I'm fine with it. I think I'm getting 300 down, which is plenty for my purposes.

I will say it's getting harder and harder to get them to come down on their prices. It used to be that if you just called and asked nicely they'd give you the introductory rate. Now they'll just laugh at you for even trying.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3091 on: March 21, 2024, 09:11:39 AM »

Color me surprised, given all the high-end gaming you do.  That's a lesson for the kids, out there for sure.   I'm paying for the top end version (at the request of the wife, to be fair) and maybe it's a waste of money....  I know I'm not blown away by my internet speeds...

Really depends on your household.  It's just two of us in my house and my gf streams TV all the time, but otherwise, isn't pushing the bandwidth.  Gaming is smooth and streaming is smooth if doing both at the same time, which is normal in my house.  If I start say downloading a COD 50G update, it might impact the rest of the household.  Streaming usually works fine, but if my gf wants to do a video meeting for work and I'm doing a download, it may cause issues.  Honestly, a higher bandwidth, the only thing I would find beneficial would be to increase the time to download or update games.  Really don't need anything faster at this point.

I had this same discussion with my dad who was saying he should upgrade to 1G internet, and Im like... Dad, I'm at 50M, you don't need 1G.  Granted some areas the pricing is different so it may make sense for someone else.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3092 on: March 21, 2024, 09:44:42 AM »
Comcast always updates mine. We have extremely fast internet speed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3093 on: March 21, 2024, 10:44:18 AM »

Do you even router?  :lol

I was confused at first, as I wasn't distinguishing between "modem" and "router".  The (Bell) modem is part of the plan - that's what brings the TV and Internet service into the house.  It also has a built in wi-fi router in it as well.  There's no additional charge for this device (there is an additional charge for the DVR boxes that connect to the TVs).  I then also have my own (TP-Link) routers so that I have better coverage throughout my home.

So, does PMS' buddy rent additional wi-fi router(s), or is it the modem-router that is being rented?  I interpreted PMS' post that they're paying additional for their own shitty white-labled wi-fi routers, and that's a waste of money.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3094 on: March 21, 2024, 10:46:37 AM »

HAHAHA that got a screen full of coffee.  Nice! :)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3095 on: March 21, 2024, 11:05:26 AM »

HAHAHA that got a screen full of coffee.  Nice! :)

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #3096 on: March 21, 2024, 11:31:33 AM »

I was confused at first, as I wasn't distinguishing between "modem" and "router".  The (Bell) modem is part of the plan - that's what brings the TV and Internet service into the house.  It also has a built in wi-fi router in it as well.  There's no additional charge for this device (there is an additional charge for the DVR boxes that connect to the TVs).  I then also have my own (TP-Link) routers so that I have better coverage throughout my home.

So, does PMS' buddy rent additional wi-fi router(s), or is it the modem-router that is being rented?  I interpreted PMS' post that they're paying additional for their own shitty white-labled wi-fi routers, and that's a waste of money.
The latter, I'm pretty sure it's a scam aimed at senior citizens.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3097 on: March 21, 2024, 06:16:06 PM »
Had no idea you guys rented your modem/routers from ISPs over there. Over here ISPs just sell them outright; usually for more than they're worth, often just given away for free in promotions, but at least there's no ongoing cost involved.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3098 on: March 21, 2024, 06:18:04 PM »
Had no idea you guys rented your modem/routers from ISPs over there. Over here ISPs just sell them outright; usually for more than they're worth, often just given away for free in promotions, but at least there's no ongoing cost involved.

We have it pretty damn good over here hey?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3099 on: March 21, 2024, 06:25:34 PM »

We have it pretty damn good over here hey?
As far as the equipment goes maybe, we get shafted on the service though. :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3100 on: March 21, 2024, 08:47:50 PM »
Those bumper stickers that say "Tell your dog I said hi"

What is the message here? Do you have some history with my dog I am unaware of? Are you seeing him without my knowledge? Is he cheating on me? Do you come over when I am at work, rub his belly and give him treats?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3101 on: March 22, 2024, 05:47:58 AM »

I'm one of those guys who has friends who also get a little too invested in my home router situation. I wound up looking into this a little bit ago because a friend of mine was in disbelief that I used the router Comcast provide. I was starting to look at what it would take to upgrade, but I found out what Comcast charge me 15 bucks a month for is not really a "router" as much as it's a "access portal" that is both a modem and a router.

After doing some testing around the house, it's not bad enough for me to throw money for two devices at. I just ran a speed test from the furthest room in my house and got 150 Mbps, and I get like 400 in the living room next to the access portal. Plus I hardwire anything important.

Of course, anytime I've had an issue, I simply call the company and they either remote into the access portal to fix it or send me a few miles away to a store where I pick up a upgraded model. So, not a scam to me, it's a pretty decent service as far as I'm concerned!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3102 on: March 22, 2024, 06:02:03 AM »
Same for me, Skeever. They mailed the upgrade to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3103 on: March 22, 2024, 07:58:15 AM »

I'm one of those guys who has friends who also get a little too invested in my home router situation. I wound up looking into this a little bit ago because a friend of mine was in disbelief that I used the router Comcast provide. I was starting to look at what it would take to upgrade, but I found out what Comcast charge me 15 bucks a month for is not really a "router" as much as it's a "access portal" that is both a modem and a router.

After doing some testing around the house, it's not bad enough for me to throw money for two devices at. I just ran a speed test from the furthest room in my house and got 150 Mbps, and I get like 400 in the living room next to the access portal. Plus I hardwire anything important.

Of course, anytime I've had an issue, I simply call the company and they either remote into the access portal to fix it or send me a few miles away to a store where I pick up a upgraded model. So, not a scam to me, it's a pretty decent service as far as I'm concerned!

Normally I would recommend a repeater if you're hardwired but I can't imagine you would be experiencing attenuation in your house. I go wireless for our use and an extender for upstairs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3104 on: March 24, 2024, 05:18:56 AM »
Power out since 2 am.  Since I use a C-pap, I have been awake since 2 am.  Fuck.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3105 on: March 24, 2024, 06:25:49 AM »
Oh shit.  That sucks man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3106 on: March 24, 2024, 06:31:32 AM »
I feel like I have a hang over. No c-pap, no sleep.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3107 on: March 24, 2024, 09:43:13 AM »
I use a CPAP, and when we had a hurricane over a year ago, the power went out and I was up for over 24 hours with two little kids. We then bought a backup battery for the next time because yeah, it feels like you are just hung over.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3108 on: March 24, 2024, 09:48:35 AM »
Yeah and I'm going to a concert tonight.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3109 on: March 25, 2024, 03:50:43 PM »
This falls under the general header of people are inconsiderate:

I went to Farmer Boys for lunch today, and some a-hole a couple tables over was watching videos on his phone with the volume up.  Not so loud that I really felt the need to say something, but loud enough to be occasionally annoying (especially when mixed with the music playing on the restaurant's speakers).  Get a damn pair of headphones!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: March 25, 2024, 04:13:21 PM »

I went to Farmer Boys for lunch today, and some a-hole a couple tables over was watching videos on his phone with the volume up.  Not so loud that I really felt the need to say something, but loud enough to be occasionally annoying (especially when mixed with the music playing on the restaurant's speakers).  Get a damn pair of headphones!

I HATE this so much.  No consideration for anyone else?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3111 on: March 25, 2024, 06:40:09 PM »

I've noticed this so much since they got rid of headphone jacks. People would buy a shitty $5 pair of CVS earbuds in the past if they lost their pair, but now that phones don't even come earbuds anymore and the "cheap" bluetooth earbuds are like $35, there's a type of person who just says "fuck it".

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3112 on: March 26, 2024, 06:28:57 AM »
Don't even get me started on Bluetooth speakers on the golf course. If I were a king, such behavior you land you in a sand trap for a week as punishment.