Author Topic: Dream Theater Fan Commentary Project  (Read 2272 times)

Offline PetFish

Dream Theater Fan Commentary Project
« on: September 24, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
How would you guys feel about trying to put together some fan-made commentary tracks for the various releases?

There are lots of Dream Theater fans that I think would be fun to listen to.  Many are musicians as well.  Maybe even pull a Wachowski's and do a h8r commentary or two.  I think I'd be saying "man, I can't play that" after every Petrucci solo.

I haven't really thought much further about this but could try an experimental version where a few of us record our own commentary to, say, the new DVD, and then me or someone could try and edit it together and people could download it and listen to it through their headphones while watching the actual video.  Could even try and do a Skype meeting with a few fans, no cut/paste required.

Ah, I dunno, maybe I'm crazy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dream Theater Fan Commentary Project
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »
That's a cool idea!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
funny, I was just typing something to that effect in the other DVD thread.  I think it would be a cool project.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »
bosk1:  Hey, what's John M playing?
hef:  Bass.
bosk1:  ...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:43:51 PM »
I support this idea. To the max.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:24:51 PM »
Major support here!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:31:22 PM »
Actually, after seeing bosk's post, I think the mods here should do a commentary to the new DVD. I'd pay money for that.  :biggrin:
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 10:57:01 PM »
HELL YES.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
Do this :tup
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 12:29:55 AM »
Make it happen!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:01:06 AM »
Actually, after seeing bosk's post, I think the mods here should do a commentary to the new DVD. I'd pay money for that.  :biggrin:

Like ..real money??

Maybe some of this
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:04:58 AM »
Awesome idea! Do it!!  :tup :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 06:18:20 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks this is one of those ideas that is great in theory and will suck ass in execution?   I love "Live Scenes...", but I do not need to hear two hours of "F-ing James has the stage presence of a jar of jelly beans", or "Whoa, Petrucci just played an F#, whereas on the studio version it was clearly an A flat... I wish he'd stick to the progression as written!".

I like commentaries to learn things about the band/artists that I wouldn't ordinarily know FROM the band/artist. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:44:12 AM »
SHOW ME THE MONEY
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 08:22:06 AM »
Awesome idea... I think it would work well!  The Skype idea may work the best.  I think there is definitely a way to execute this and have an awesome product... maybe even give it to the guys as a Christmas present (they're always giving us stuff).

You never know; some of that commentary may end up on an Intermission reel between sets on the next tour...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 08:44:28 AM »
You know, I had the same idea yesterday while reading the posts about the lack of commentary on the incoming DVD. It would be exceedingly brillant.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline PetFish

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
Nice to see the responses.  :)

Does anyone want to spearhead this?  I think the only way it would *really* work is if it's mostly with people who post here a lot and/or moderators and also done in group web chat.  I lack the skills/webcam to organize a web chat.

Personally, I don't think I'd enjoy talking to myself while watching but with other people around it would be fun.

And like Stadler said, it sounds great on paper, but would it actually work?

I think we're all really commentary-deprived and are chomping at the bit (dumbest cliche ever) to hear anything... even our own voices!

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »
Well for one you don't need a webcam, unless you're really wanting to put picture in picture for it! What's going to be needed for good quality is everyone in a skype call recording THEMSELVES as well. I've got barebones audio editing skills but a sync up won't be hard. It's getting everyone watching at the same time that would possibly be problematic. Maybe. Depending on if we were to upload it just to record a commentary purpose.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 05:17:56 AM »
I think we're all really commentary-deprived and are chomping at the bit (dumbest cliche ever) to hear anything... even our own voices!

I am definitely commentary-deprived.

I guess this idea wound up going nowhere.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 09:12:22 PM »
Yep.  It sounded great in my head, though, where there's always some kind of commentary going on.

"Making Of" videos are great but hearing stories from the guys about the music while it's being played live is someething I dearly miss.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
Yep.  It sounded great in my head, though, where there's always some kind of commentary going on.

"Making Of" videos are great but hearing stories from the guys about the music while it's being played live is someething I dearly miss.

It's another one of those Portnoy-inspired things I miss.