Poll

Which choice best describes what it would take for you to see DT multiple times on the same tour?

Only if the setlists differ greatly from show to show (at least 50% different)
20 (18.9%)
If the band alternates between an A and B setlist (with 4 or 5 songs being different)
25 (23.6%)
I'm perfectly happy seeing them multiple times even if the setlist is static
39 (36.8%)
I'll only go see them once per tour, no matter what the setlist situation is.
19 (17.9%)
Other
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Would you see DT multiple times on a single tour based on the setlist?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

The thread about the Boston setlist got me to wondering how many people are motivated to see multiple shows, based on how much the setlist varies from show to show. So assuming the tickets were reasonably priced and that they were playing at least a few shows within driving distance to your house, what option would best fit what you would do?

For me personally, I went with the first option. I would need the setlists to differ significantly for me to see multiple shows, altho I would probably catch 2 shows if they were doing alternating setlists (option 2).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline krands85

Re: Would you see DT multiple times on a single tour based on the setlist?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
Probably option 1 for me as well. Though I would go for option 2 if specific songs I really wanted to see were in the alternate set.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
I prefer different setlists but the experience is what matters to me. I've seen them 2 times in february (Belgium and Amsterstam) and one time on the 2nd leg in Tilburg.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:24:18 PM »
Option 4.

DT comes to my country only once per touring cycle, and as a student I can't afford to traveling abroad for concerts.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:49:48 PM »
Other: I've seen 8 times DT on this tour, but i prefer different setlist.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
With the cost of tickets, I am going to see them once per tour no matter what.   Don't get me wrong, the ticket price is totally worth the experience but thats just too much money in addition to having to take time off of work, etc

Offline Sad Wings

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 04:45:02 PM »
My problem with rotating set lists is that they never seemed balanced.  On the Systematic Chaos tour, New Jersey got a set that was heavy on post-SFAM material while Philly got "Scarred" and "Lines in the Sand".  If they were to, say, give Jersey "Voices" while Philly got "Scarred" that would be cool, but I'd rather a static set than what we were getting six or seven years ago.  I just wish they'd add a jam or just deviate from the studio versions a little more.  Throw in a cover song here or there, but not a whole cover album unless they made people aware of it ahead of time.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
Option 2. Of course option 1 would be ideal, but realistically it's too much of a burden for any band.

I think partially the problem is, DT isn't an "entertainment band" so to speak. They show up, play their songs, but apart from a few "howyadointonite!!!??", it's not that you get a lot of " peripheral show ". As an example, I think Ben Folds plays the same setlist for every show. But it doesn't matter; there's so much banter and inbetween stuff going on, it makes every show unique.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 05:33:03 PM »
I would probably never see more than one Dream Theater show in the same leg of a tour, but if they returned for a second leg in the same tour, I would try to see them again even if they had the same setlist as the first leg. Though I would hope for them to change the setlist between legs.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 05:33:51 PM »
I'm happy to see them as many times as they come to my country regardless of setlist.  :lol

Which if they even come at all, it'd probably only be one show on a completely different island to me so whatevs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »
I voted for option 1, but depending on the setlist, I might also go with option 2. Given the effort of travelling etc to see a live show, I don't think it would be worth it unless the second show offered something different enough to justify it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »
I never seen DT, yet, but most likely, I would probably go to one show per tour regardless of set.  If I could be one of those people that travels around the states and see them multiple times, as long as the shows were good whether it is a static setlist or a rotating setlist, I would, but I can't afford that financially.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:48:13 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Xenon

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
Already done that in ADTOE tour. Not planning to do it again unless the setlist changes a lot.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »
Also I should say that it is pretty frustrating to have gone to a number of shows and hear about some of the songs they were rotating in and out and then to go to a show and for them to play none of the ones you wanted. 

That happened almost every time I saw them up until the BC&SL tour.  On that one I finally got the song or songs I wanted.  In fact, I think that was when they were rotating less and less so there was a 90% chance they were going to play what I wanted to hear.  So I guess I was fortunate to not be at a show that just happened to be one of the few they rotated out. 

This last tour was great and i have said it before, I wasn't 100% happy with the setlist but the things I was happy for more than made up for it.  I would take a consistent above average to excellent setlist over a random excellent setlist anyday

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 09:53:29 PM »
I did it this tour, so, yes.  Much of that had to do with how awesome the set list was, though. Plus, I had some friends that could only go to the KC show, and my brother could only go to the Chicago show.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 02:40:08 AM »
Option 2 for me, I think. Though I considered going if they were going to return to Moscow at the second European leg, but as Kev said, that's because this setlist was glorious.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 06:26:32 AM »
I voted for only seeing them once per tour, no matter what the set list situation is.

As a fan, I'd like to say I'd go to multiple shows if there were different set lists or even multiple shows with the same set list, but realistically I probably wouldn't.  I'm usually satisfied seeing them once per tour.  The only exception I can think of in recent memory was seeing them twice on the BC&SL tour, but that was a different situation, once was opening for Maiden and the other time was a headlining one-off show.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 06:55:38 AM »
Most of the times I saw them once for every tour leg and didn't care about the different set lists. Playing a different set each tour is enough for me. The rotating lists from the past meant that sometimes the set was (imo) very unbalanced, just because MP wanted to swap some songs.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »
Except for the first time DT came to Argentina, I have seen them on consecutive nights every time mainly because I knew the set lists would differ. This time around I'm only going to the first night since I'm not sure how much the set list will vary and also I have a friend's birthday to attentd to.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
I went with option 1 as the ideal.

Realistically, I'm not going to see them at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FsF

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »
Voted option 2. Due to travel/costs, it's once per tour at best currently, but if I had the luxury of more than one show I would need varying setlists to plump for a second ticket.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 11:10:37 AM »
Option 3, I'm going all the way to Japan to see them again
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »
I went with option three... I'm happy to see them anytime I can.  As long as they're within a 6-hour drive, my wife and I are there!

We usually see them in DC; though we've been to NYC twice (Score and Jones Beach) and a few other places.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »
I saw them 3 times this tour. I originally bought tickets for Vancouver, because I thought they weren't gonna play in Seattle, when they announced Seattle I bought those. And when I heard of the special show in Boston I bought tickets to that too. I tried selling the Vancouver tickets but didn't get any bites so I saw them three times. Yes it was the same setlist but each one was unique in its own way with a different crowd and was still a blast. Obviously Boston was the best though! :)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 12:20:10 AM »
I would gladly see the same setlist twice. BUT, I wouldn't pay the full ticket price for seeing the same set twice. So if money is a factor in the decision, then I'd only see them twice if the setlist is at least 50% different.
But if I saw them, and then someone said, "Hey, you wanna go see them again?" Hell yes.
Another exception I would make is if they were doing something special. If I had the money, I would've totally went to the Boston show, after seeing them in my city, but again, money was the big factor.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:37 AM »
I've seen DT twice on this tour and I don't regret it at all the second time was even better because it was first DT concert in Slovakia and the energy in the crowd was really amazing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 03:45:01 AM »
Option 1. Option 2 I'd consider if tickets were cheap, but these days they're really not. Now that they have static setlists, seeing multiple shows is completely pointless. I wouldn't go and see the same concert/musical/opera/play/movie twice in a few nights, so why would I do it with an identical rock gig?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 06:46:46 AM »
Once per tour for any band is enough for me. I would have made exceptions for Zeppelin and Floyd back in their prime and seen
them as often as possible.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 11:00:38 AM »
I went with A. If it were a B-type scenario I'd go to the show with the better setlist. Part of the appeal of A is that you don't really have any idea what you're in for. Surprise is a wonderful thing.  But as I've said before my problem with seeing them multiple times isn't so much the setlist but the sterility of the shows. Where I live if they come within 1000 miles of me they'll play three shows within 200, so I've certainly got the opportunity. It'll just take something different for me to bother. A great seat or a great opener. Crimson Projekt was certainly worth the drive to Austin.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 07:59:15 PM »
I went with option B.  I think at every show you have a different experience even if the set list is similar.

I think it would be a lot easier if I was living in the U.S.A.  Meaning distance wise between states.

DT should offer a loyalty program to fans going to multiple concerts such as pay for one meet and greet and get in free to the next one!  :smiley:

Offline Xenon

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
Except for the first time DT came to Argentina, I have seen them on consecutive nights every time mainly because I knew the set lists would differ. This time around I'm only going to the first night since I'm not sure how much the set list will vary and also I have a friend's birthday to attentd to.
If you saw them when they played SFAM in its entirety you should know I hate you  :lol

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 01:06:02 PM »
I would go see multiple shows per tour when Portnoy was in the band, but I only saw the DTOE tour once. I was only going to see them once this time around, but the tour was too damn good to not go see a second show.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 08:00:51 AM »
Option 1. Option 2 I'd consider if tickets were cheap, but these days they're really not. Now that they have static setlists, seeing multiple shows is completely pointless. I wouldn't go and see the same concert/musical/opera/play/movie twice in a few nights, so why would I do it with an identical rock gig?

Exactly. And I would actually want a completely different setlist as well.

I think partially the problem is, DT isn't an "entertainment band" so to speak. They show up, play their songs, but apart from a few "howyadointonite!!!??", it's not that you get a lot of " peripheral show ".

Which is exactly what is wrong with Dream Theater as a live band, in my opinion.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
They've only been here in Israel twice, so personally I'd say I will take two shows where one is a full fledged show and the other is a shorter version of the first one with less songs and nothing new. I just love the experience. Waiting in line all excited and giggly, seeing them go on stage, non-stop talking to the bunch of friends who fell in my trap and came to the show about random trivia, seeing differences in the performance of the same songs and such, seeing what's changed in their performances since the last time song X was played on a DVD, hearing James' speeches to the crowd, etc etc.

Any new song I haven't seen in a live show yet is just the icing on the cake. It's a live Dream Theater concert, dammit!

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »

Exactly. And I would actually want a completely different setlist as well.

I think partially the problem is, DT isn't an "entertainment band" so to speak. They show up, play their songs, but apart from a few "howyadointonite!!!??", it's not that you get a lot of " peripheral show ".

Which is exactly what is wrong with Dream Theater as a live band, in my opinion.

Yeah, it's that professionalism that groups like Rush also have that makes every show seem more like a choreographed production than a rock concert.

If it hadn't been for the Awake and SFAM songs, I would have only attended one show. But it's not every tour you get to hear Lifting Shadows or Space-Dye Vest, so it was worth shelling out the big bucks for me.