Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896451 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If Yngwie sang and wrote as well as Magnus, I’d still care.

Great call.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
https://bravewords.com/news/the-kulick-brothers-tear-up-kiss-kruise-vii

Awesome setlist! :metal

Yeah saw that - and out front on bass and vox is my buddy Todd Kerns.

Nowhere To Run is an all time fave of mine.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:11:10 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Best KISS setlist ever?
Saw those videos the other day and wondered who the singer was. Would have enjoyed seeing that live.
I’ve always enjoyed the Kulick brothers’ playing, but VV was KISS’ best guitarist.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still slowly working my way thought the podcast.

That Voodoo X I believe it was was really interesting and enjoyable.

Arena of Pleasure  :metal :metal :metal  I like you didn't need to say anything about this track Brent, just the name and then, boom fucking go!!  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Still slowly working my way thought the podcast.

That Voodoo X I believe it was was really interesting and enjoyable.

Arena of Pleasure  :metal :metal :metal  I like you didn't need to say anything about this track Brent, just the name and then, boom fucking go!!  :metal

:metal

Speaking of  :metal an Aussie music legend died today.

RIP Malcolm Young.    :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

RIP Malcolm. Legend indeed.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sad news about Malcolm.

I haven't heard what's been happening with ACDC lately but I really think this should be the sign to end the band.  I think one last final mega show that includes Axl and Brian, super long set list and a grand farewell would be the best option for the band.  They have nothing more to prove and that would be a good tribute to Malcolm.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
RIP Malcolm.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Rainbow in the Rose  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have that Winters Bane album, I think the whole thing is really really good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Just listening to that Greta Van Fleet that got a mention recently -  not a bad listen if you're in the mood for retro Zep style stuff.  Not something I would listen to often but was something different for me and so didn't mind it.   Nothing mindblowing in the songwriting department but good for what it is.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Just listening to that Greta Van Fleet that got a mention recently -  not a bad listen if you're in the mood for retro Zep style stuff.  Not something I would listen to often but was something different for me and so didn't mind it.   Nothing mindblowing in the songwriting department but good for what it is.

I didn’t make it through a full song. As soon as the Plant style wailing started I went to get the forks to stick in my ears. Luckily, when i got to the kitchen I forgot what I went in there for 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Both the Zeno and Zinatra were very very good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent- How does that reissue/remaster of Beast from the East from Dokken sound? Is it worth an upgrade?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent- How does that reissue/remaster of Beast from the East from Dokken sound? Is it worth an upgrade?

I am only listening on some (very good) Swan office/PC speakers but I didn't notice any great difference other than perhaps a bit more bass and maybe a touch more punch in the drums   it's one of my most listened to albums ever (as a kid) and so I'm pretty sure I would've noticed a major difference even on smaller speakers.  I don't have my proper "audiophile" system set up but if I need to play it on that to notice a tiny difference then I don't really think its enough to require an upgrade.

What it does have is the missing tracks that were originally only on the cassette/vinyl and also new liner notes,photos etc... , so if you are missing those tracks on your CD then perhaps a different story.  I grew up with the cassette so no real difference .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I only have the cassette too. Never liked the mix on it at all which stops it being up there with the great live albums, but it’s years since I played it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I own Beast From the East but for some reason, never really played it all that much.  Should fix that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's the only Dokken album that I bother with.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I have all of their early stuff, but dokken is one of those bands that i always grab a best of to listen to.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I have all of their early stuff, but dokken is one of those bands that i always grab a best of to listen to.

BFTE is basically a Best Of with a bonus unreleased studio track.  And the live versions have an energy that , in many cases, is missing on the studio tracks.  I love it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

BFTE is basically a Best Of with a bonus unreleased studio track.  And the live versions have an energy that , in many cases, is missing on the studio tracks.  I love it.

I agree. I was just going to post that.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Europe are selling tickets for their first ever concert out here next year and their new album cannot be bought anywhere online that I can find in the country.   Great promotion.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Europe are selling tickets for their first ever concert out here next year and their new album cannot be bought anywhere online that I can find in the country.   Great promotion.

No that actually IS great promotion. If people could actually hear the album, no one would buy tickets!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Most of the people there will just be going for The Final Countdown anyway , so you're probably right  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

What it does have is the missing tracks that were originally only on the cassette/vinyl and also new liner notes,photos etc... , so if you are missing those tracks on your CD then perhaps a different story.  I grew up with the cassette so no real difference .

That's good to hear, I used to own the double vinyl and always thought that I will buy the cd only if there are all the tracks on it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone listened to Icefish?   Seriously bored me to tears........mostly prog for progs sake.   I would take Sons of Apollo any day and I wasn't rapt in that.

Another positive new release review from your resident party pooper  ;D  I am saving the good ones for a podcast :lol
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:13:32 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I agree. I was just going to post that.

Yeah, I should have stipulated studio, but yeah, for some reason I've never grabbed this cd out thinking it as a best of.  Definitely will have to get it out.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Anyone listened to Icefish?
That one was a bit of a surprise. Before release I was expecting it to not be for me, but ultimately I ended up not minding it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone listened to Icefish?
That one was a bit of a surprise. Before release I was expecting it to not be for me, but ultimately I ended up not minding it.

I actually went in it expecting to like it , so I suppose I am the opposite where this one is concerned. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Both IceFish and SoA were highly unmemorable imo. Kinda disappointed I bought into the hype in the IceFish thread. Wasn’t worth the $9 spent.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gazinwales

JB, Utopia, Red Eye and Sanity all have it online to order  :yarr

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

JB, Utopia, Red Eye and Sanity all have it online to order  :yarr

Thanks but tried em all yesterday.   I have a copy but trying to buy presents for a couple of people who are going to the gig.

JB says special order around Xmas (maybe) , Sanity/Utopia out of stock.

Click on the listings and read stock situation ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:25:16 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
JB is pretty much becoming special order on everything now.  They use to be half decent with releases but seem to be dropping off.

Offline Lowdz

Anyone listened to Icefish?   Seriously bored me to tears........mostly prog for progs sake.   I would take Sons of Apollo any day and I wasn't rapt in that.

Another positive new release review from your resident party pooper  ;D  I am saving the good ones for a podcast :lol

I did the preorder but I haven’t downloaded it yet. Heard the two tracks on YouTube and thought it sounded ok. I’d be very surprised if it was better than SoA as that’s up there vying for Alb7mof the Year.