Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896603 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It's called walking right into it.  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
How the mighty...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?31=&v=5XV1BZTkFqw

This is a pretty good Britney Spears song.

Seriously though, this song coming from two people that call themselves guitarists?!  They try to add a shitty solo to justify that obviously doesn't belong there.  Richie doing anything for a bit of pussy.  Love how the comments are disabled.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Almanac Brent!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkH2FdVOg-Y

Unfortunately I'm getting an error that my browser doesn't support any video formats.  WTF?  :facepalm:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Almanac Brent!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkH2FdVOg-Y

Unfortunately I'm getting an error that my browser doesn't support any video formats.  WTF?  :facepalm:

Hmm..............liked the music until the vocals came in.    This is one example where the multi vocalist thing (and vocal efffects) just didn't work for me.

Still hopeful for the album though.   Smolski always comes up with something good.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

How the mighty...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?31=&v=5XV1BZTkFqw

I think Richie fooled everyon, me included, for years. Everyone thought he was the 'rock' in Bon Jovi but he's never done anything to justify that. His first solo album was pretty much a Bon Jovi record with him singing. His other solo stuff has been a snoozefest.
Great voice, average but melodic solos. Not much else.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw Saxon last night. We did not stay for UFO..long story.
Will post pics tomorrow. Saw someone interesting in the crowd too.

Saxon was awesome.  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome set by Saxon. I literally got chills during Power And The Glory. I'm glad they put Dogs Of War in the set. It's probably my favorite track from the Middle Ages era of Saxon.
Also, I've never really cared for I've Got To Rock (To Stay Alive), but it is a great live song.

Oh, and Nibs Carter :metal

Oh, and I saw this guy there too.

EDIT! Mebert just confirmed that that is John Arch standing next to Jim Matheos!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:20:46 AM by TAC »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Lowdz

Nice.
Shame you had to miss UFO. Can't have been easy 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was fine. It just wasn't possible. Like I said, it's a long story. It would've been tougher to miss Saxon.

As much as I love UFO, their setlist blows. Saw them a few years ago, which was cool.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice Tim.  And haha, Arch and Matheos watching Saxon, good shit.

Speaking of Saxon, new album Thunderbolt coming in early 2018.  These guy just don't slow down!  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Speaking of Saxon, new album Thunderbolt coming in early 2018.  These guy just don't slow down!  :metal

Maybe they should.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Maybe they should.

Definitely not, the last one was brilliant.  One of the best they have done especially post 2000.

Actually, all of their post 2000 stuff has been stellar.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Maybe J Boy should go back to the Wuss Thread and leave the Hard Rock to people who know what they're talking about.  :P

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I can guarantee with 100 percent certainty, that the new Saxon, will in fact Rock!!!  The odds are very good

I'm also confident that it will rate well above "solid"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe J Boy should go back to the Wuss Thread and leave the Hard Rock to people who know what they're talking about.  :P

Yeah, well... the jerk store called and they're out of you.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can guarantee with 100 percent certainty, that the new Saxon, will in fact Rock!!!  The odds are very good

I'm also confident that it will rate well above "solid"

Gotta back this up with complete certainty.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
From what I have heard of this Soto/Portnoy thingy  ;)  .....................solid  ;D     The proggy sections mostly detract IMO.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

From what I have heard of this Soto/Portnoy thingy  ;)  .....................solid  ;D     The proggy sections mostly detract IMO.

Ignoring this for now... though I'm expecting to like it.

The DS/MP bullshit is putting me off. I like Bumblefoot though, love his YouTube stuff and his voice is hypnotic.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Ignoring this for now... though I'm expecting to like it.

The DS/MP bullshit is putting me off. I like Bumblefoot though, love his YouTube stuff and his voice is hypnotic.

I'm purposefully ignoring all of that BS - especially here at DTF.  I'll let the music speak for itself.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I really liked the two tracks I heard from Sons of Apollo.  I'm still on the fence whether or not I would get it, but I'm interested in hearing more and reading the reviews of the full album.

This is what Adrenaline Mob should have sounded like with Russell Allen when they came out at first.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Some of it has a cool classic rock vibe etc.......but in the end I thought it was disappointing in the songwriting department.  Will be interested to see the reaction from the metalheads.

And yeah I am 10x over Sherinian .   I have met JSS a couple of times (couldn't meet a nicer guy) and I reckon he would be quite embarrassed/biting his tongue despite having to take it for the team.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Some of it has a cool classic rock vibe etc.......but in the end I thought it was disappointing in the songwriting department.  Will be interested to see the reaction from the metalheads.

And yeah I am 10x over Sherinian .   I have met JSS a couple of times (couldn't meet a nicer guy) and I reckon he would be quite embarrassed/biting his tongue despite having to take it for the team.

JSS does always come across as a super cool guy.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I will answer your question re the L.A. Guns in here Paul.

It is a good album and I think you would like it.  It has that slight punk edge that you might associate with bands like Vain , that I know you really like.

It also has some personality.    On a song by song basis (based on my enjoyment rather than critical analysis) I may not rate it too much higher than something like say the decent part of Revolution Saints but , unlike the RS album,  it has that intangible something that sounds like a real band writing songs they give a shit about.   The album has some personality and sounds like a real band .   On the downside there are a couple of fillers and they do borrow from their back catalogue at times .   On the whole though it's certainly worth a listen and will have far more staying power/growth in it than other "projects" that I may initially rate about the same.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:36:05 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Will give it a shot. Not too concerned with them borrowing from their back catalogue as I'm not too familiar with it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I will answer your question re the L.A. Guns in here Paul.

On the downside there are a couple of fillers and they do borrow from their back catalogue at times .   

A COUPLE??

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Have you heard it Tim or too busy with the TAC Filler Roulette?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don't bother me, it's the Acoustic Round. I have to concentrate.

LA Guns blows!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't bother me, it's the Acoustic Round. I have to concentrate.

Just fill up on Red Bull and you'll be fine.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have never touched a Red Bull. I once tried a Sugar Free Monster Energy, and I thought my heart was going to explode!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I've tried an energy drink either. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have never touched a Red Bull. I once tried a Sugar Free Monster Energy, and I thought my heart was going to explode!

I drink one Monster (sugar free) everyday 95% of the time.  Doesn't even affect me now.  I'll normally have a coffee later in the day and then around 4.30 I have my pre workout before I train.  :lol

I got the Monster addiction when I was dieting yet working 12 hours a day.  Energy, a tasty carbonated beverage with like 16 calories, sign me up.  I discovered it a few years ago and unfortunately have never looked back.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, I see that you are playing that WASP remix Crimson Idol album.  Whats the review?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, I see that you are playing that WASP remix Crimson Idol album.  Whats the review?

Half way through and I'd say it's worth a listen for those that love The Crimson Idol.     It has a few missing songs and interludes that were intended for the original but just bear in mind that it's a re-record.    Most of the classic songs are just missing that edge that the originals had and born again Christian Blackie has sanitised the language in Chainsaw Charlie which got a bit of an  ::)  from me.

Whoever did the Aldrich solo on Arena of Pleasure made a decent effort but nobody could play that properly other than Doug himself.

Enjoying the listen and the extra songs are fine , but overall it's not quite in the league of the original.

Better than Tater's re-records on FU    ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au