Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896557 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought I would be able to forget a Best of 2017 show (or do it in 5 mins ) but maybe not  ;D

As far as power metal goes (and I've never been a big fan) I thought the Firewind was far stronger than either the Pyramaze or Nocturnal Rites.  At least it felt like they had a go at something half original - sounded better too.

I would definitely take the Firewind over the Pyramaze I think.  Immortals just has something about it.  Really strong, and yeah the band were trying something a little different.  Very powerful album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Better be some Cellador on that best Of 2017 Podcast. TAC got screwed out of Seven Sisters last year!  ;D

Tried Cellador on your recommendation.  It didn't do much for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Immortals was excellent, but I still liked Contingent better.

And I think at this point, Brent has heard it all.  I'm going to sample about a dozen or so of the albums/bands that were posted in the PPUSA forum as their house music.  They had a lot of bands I already knew/had (Mindmaze, Pyramaze, Firewind etc..), but about 20 that I didn't.  That's going to be the limit of my new search until the best of 2017 podcast.

hint hint; nudge nudge; wink wink.   ;) ;D

I did prefer the Pyramaze too. Not sounding good re the NR then.
But I know what you mean. These genres are stagnating.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Good god that was bad. I really could do better myself. :facepalm:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
yikes

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, that wasn't great.  I do think an actual budget for some pro recording and production would really help it a lot though. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't figure out what the go is with TAC Roulette V.2

Am I being Punk'd or is an intervention required?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I havent listened to any of the songs, but I doubt my ratings would be the same lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I havent listened to any of the songs, but I doubt my ratings would be the same lol

Grading on a curve. If there is a track that is clearly better, it gets a 9. Lowest track gets in the 6's. Keeps everyone close.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Grading on a curve. If there is a track that is clearly better, it gets a 9. Lowest track gets in the 6's. Keeps everyone close.

You could also keep everyone close with a range of -2 to 1.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I've figured out Tim's rating method (the Spinal Tap model)

It's actually cool that you're enjoying some of this stuff way outside the comfort zone Tim.  But after high ratings for that Steam Powered Giraffe ........... from here on in any criticism of Winger or wuss music is redundant , okay ?   :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I just checked out that Steam Powered Giraffe song.

I ummmmmmmm, well, ahhhhhhhhhh............man, that Saxon and Primal Fear are great bands hey guys?

Offline Lowdz

He'd be doing better if the theme was shitty Frontiers "projects" 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I just checked out that Steam Powered Giraffe song.

I ummmmmmmm, well, ahhhhhhhhhh............man, that Saxon and Primal Fear are great bands hey guys?

:rollin

I can't figure out what the go is with TAC Roulette V.2

Am I being Punk'd or is an intervention required?

To be totally honest, I think Tim is somewhat disappointed but making the most of it.

As I stated, I know quite a few of the bands being offered and a lot of them aren't bad, just not our style at all.  It is stuff that can be somewhat apprecited but I doubt there'll be anything long term worthwhile.  I predict Tim won't go back to anything that's been offered so far here.

A lot of the stuff I know I've never really gotten into.  A lot of them was probably in my crazy cd buying days and found some different stuff in the clearance section that was just to get my fix.  These sorts of bands can be appreciated but there's nothing substantial for the long haul, for the likes of us.

So every Winger song is a 10 then by this?  ;D

Offline Lowdz

I've checked out many of these bands as they're mentioned here a lot. Some of them are ok to listen to once but I'd never go back to them and can't get through an album.

I don't have the patience to work at enjoying something.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've checked out many of these bands as they're mentioned here a lot. Some of them are ok to listen to once but I'd never go back to them and can't get through an album.

I don't have the patience to work at enjoying something.

This is the biggest thing for me I think to get into some of these bands.  As you say, listening to them once, they are nice enough but need time, repeats and attention to get the best out of them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This entire page!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

:clap:

You guys rule! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Geez, this new Sweet and Lynch is turning out to be boring and plain as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oUDbLsN7Bg

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The first single from the new Sweet and Lynch was a scorcher, but I agree about this song- quite boring.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The first single from the new Sweet and Lynch was a scorcher, but I agree about this song- quite boring.

I'll have to revisit.  I don't remember liking any of them so far.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Ben and Brent's first 2017 award....................album cover of the year is decided already.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ben and Brent's first 2017 award....................album cover of the year is decided already.

Any good?

Offline Lowdz

Been enjoying myself this morning - I clicked on a YouTube link for Jack Starr's Burning Starr and wasn't expecting much tbh. Really enjoyed it and it inspired me to plug in the new guitar and give it some hammer :metal

I always dismissed Jack Starr without listening to any. Great old school metal. The singer on the new stuff is pretty awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard anything from Jack Starr.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I always dismissed Jack Starr without listening to any. Great old school metal. The singer on the new stuff is pretty awesome.

Good album -I was actually expecting a bit more to be honest (based on my sampling) but I had heard the best tracks leading in.  The singer is the current guy in Riot.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Any good?

Haven't got around to listening yet - the cover put me off I think :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jack Starr rules people. I haven't heard his new album yet. And yes, that is Todd Michael Hall from Riot. Pumped for this album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Any good?

But, they are skeletons with different instruments in a closet with a hot chick with tats on the cover, and it's called, get this, skeletons in the closet.  What's not to like?

Oh, and the guitar has a skull and crossbones on it, fucking metal!!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Any good?

But, they are skeletons with different instruments in a closet with a hot chick with tats on the cover, and it's called, get this, skeletons in the closet.  What's not to like?

Oh, and the guitar has a skull and crossbones on it, fucking metal!!!

You missed Bob's ugly skull right between her tits with crossbones below  :metal   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:46:43 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin Yeah, I sure fucking did.  WTF?! hahaha.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
So what are your guys' opinions on all the "deluxe issue" treatments some of the classic hard rock and metal record are receiving (I realize what qualifies as classic hard rock and metal can vary)? I find them to be pretty spotty. I liked the price point New Jersey from Bon Jovi was at when I bought it. I think it was around 40 bucks, and the package was well worth it.

But then I remembered some of the Pink Floyd monster deluxe editions, and I just couldn't fathom spending the kind of money for those, and went with lesser editions.

I've ordered a few lately. Whitesnake '87 (which I got a notice was delayed until December) and Stone TEmple Pilots Core. Both of those seem like they'll be in the right wheelhouse, price-wise for what you get (although STP was pushing it at 58 bucks).

Some of it is frustrating however. For example, on the STP set, I have no use for the vinyl whatsoever. I have a turntable, I have no desire to play THAT record on vinyl. It was never on vinyl to begin with, so I get it. But it also isn't the type of record I'd sit there and listen to on a turntable (unlike say Pink Floyd). So, instead of the Core Super Deluxe costing 35 or 40 bucks, it is 58 bucks, I assume because of that vinyl. As an aside, if that vinyl has its own UPC code, and is in its own sleeve, I'll probably try and sell it to the used record/CD store to recoup some of my money.

And then there is Metallica...Master of Puppets looks amazing. And I'd love to hear all that material a few times. But I'm not spending that kind of money. I'll get the lesser edition with less material, but enough.

Anyway, general thoughts on all these deluxe editions. Are you finding them worth your time? My answer is tentatively YES, but I find myself really having to go through what they offer and making a tough call, as opposed to them all being at a reasonable price point to drop the cash.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lowdz

It depends on whether there is anything there I don't already have. I don't need the Hysteria one but I did buy the last deluxe set. I might get 1987ut haven't decided yet. There's not that much there I need tbh. With demos I would probably listen once - the videos are all on YouTube.
I bought Marillion's Misplaced Childhood signed by Fish mainly for the interview DVD.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What exactly comes with the Whitesnake 1987 Deluxe edition. I couldn't tell from Amazon.