Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901705 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Gary Moore is a phenomenal player.  :hefdaddy I wasn't keen on all of his stuff but his 80s hard rock records and the first blues album are stellar. Sadly never saw him live.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gazinwales

GM was and still is a massive influence on my guitar playing.
I was totally into shredders when I first started playing, then I heard Gary and he changed my perspective as to what a good guitar player should be like.

Thanks for posting the video too, never seen it before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks for posting the video too, never seen it before.
You're welcome. Neither had I. It popped up on my youtube feed. It's amazing footage.

I saw Gary Moore twice. Once in 1983. He was actually the first band I ever saw live as he was third on the bill of my first concert.
Also saw him in 1987.

8-29-87
The Living Room
Providence, RI

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:46:21 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This quote from Yngwie deserves to be featured  :rollin

On whether he has considered working with singers like Jeff Scott Soto, Joe Lynn Turner and Tim "Ripper" Owens again on an album or a tour:

Yngwie: "Actually, no, I have not, because I found myself very much… I'm very comfortable singing myself, first of all. Secondly, there's a certain disconnect when you write the song and you have someone else sing it for you. And it's kind of like a fakeness about it. I always wrote everything — I wrote all the lyrics, I wrote all the melodies, everything; it's just somebody else sung it. And to me, the singer is nothing else than a different… like a bass player or a keyboard player — they're not more important than any other musician. And they, unfortunately, seem to think that they are. And I've kind of had it with their sort of… self-absorbed sort of way, and I'm very much against it. No. I don't like that. I don't like any of those people, and I don't like to do anything with them ever again."

I am sure the feeling is mutual.

And speaking of Owens I hope this Spirits of Fire thing lives up to the names on the box.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:45:27 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Finally Dio is coming to Australia - hologram style  ::)    Hopefully they won't mind me sending them a photo of some money as payment.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Finally Dio is coming to Australia - hologram style  ::)    Hopefully they won't mind me sending them a photo of some money as payment.

:lol :lol :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I really don't know what to make of that tour. Should I think it's strictly a cash grab or is it a cool way to see again and remember the metal master? Not sure, I guess I need to see some highlights and reviews.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's interesting Jason. I'm usually the first one to scream "Cash Grab!!".

I suppose it is in a way. I would also be interested to see prices.

How many beers would you have to drink, or how much weed would you have to smoke for this? The whole thing seems weird.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a good way to put it.........weird

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
When I first saw the article headlines, I was stunned it didn't come from The Onion.

:clap:

I'll send a picture of myself to the venue on the night of the show.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

On whether he has considered working with singers like Jeff Scott Soto, Joe Lynn Turner and Tim "Ripper" Owens again on an album or a tour:

Yngwie: "Actually, no, I have not, because I found myself very much… I'm very comfortable singing myself, first of all. Secondly, there's a certain disconnect when you write the song and you have someone else sing it for you. And it's kind of like a fakeness about it. I always wrote everything — I wrote all the lyrics, I wrote all the melodies, everything; it's just somebody else sung it. And to me, the singer is nothing else than a different… like a bass player or a keyboard player — they're not more important than any other musician. And they, unfortunately, seem to think that they are. And I've kind of had it with their sort of… self-absorbed sort of way, and I'm very much against it. No. I don't like that. I don't like any of those people, and I don't like to do anything with them ever again."

And speaking of Owens I hope this Spirits of Fire thing lives up to the names on the box.

This translates to "I don't need anybody else and therefore take sole credit for driving my career to the ground"

;D ;D ;D Yngwie's always good for a laugh these days  ;D ;D ;D

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

This translates to "I don't need anybody else and therefore take sole credit for driving my career to the ground"

;D ;D ;D Yngwie's always good for a laugh these days  ;D ;D ;D

Saw this yesterday. I thought he was trying to be less of a twat these days but the mask has slipped. He can't fucking sing. He can't write a decent song anymore. He needs a singer and a producer. That will never happen.
I was his biggest fan but I have no interested in anything he does these days. Last album of his worth a damn was Facing The Animal.

As to the DIO thing, no thanks. Saw the real thing several times. I have his live DVDs. Might as well stay home and watch those.
The clip of the trial run did not convince me that there's any point to this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, Ripper, JLT and Soto will be so disappointed that they can now stop sitting by the phone waiting for Yngwie's call.  Seriously, he's going all Tate like delusional now.  The shit he's been coming up with he should be begging one of these guys to collaborate with him and try and resurrect his career.  Even Michael or Goram give them a call you dickhead.

As for the Dio thing, I think the whole thing is a fucking joke.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I didn't pay attention to Yngwie for the longest time, but I really liked that first album he did with Owens, Perpetual Flame.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I've listened to a lick of Yngvie's since Eclipse.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Damn, Ripper, JLT and Soto will be so disappointed that they can now stop sitting by the phone waiting for Yngwie's call.  Seriously, he's going all Tate like delusional now.  The shit he's been coming up with he should be begging one of these guys to collaborate with him and try and resurrect his career.  Even Michael or Goram give them a call you dickhead.

As for the Dio thing, I think the whole thing is a fucking joke.

Edman and Vescera would be the biggest no nos of the lot. Edman sued Yngwie and won. Vescera shagged his then wife 🤔🎇I imagine the fucking fury would be released if he saw him again 😀

I remember JSS posting on Facebook a few years ago that he was open to the idea but Yngwies wife (and manager) wouldn't let his old associates anywhere near him.

Offline Lowdz

I don't think I've listened to a lick of Yngvie's since Eclipse.

Facing The Animal is your homework for today then my friend 😀🤘
It gets better after the first track...

Offline ozzy554

A statement from JSS

"This is a fabulous statement, oh my! Can't say I blame him, his vocal prowess has increased .05fold the past two decades! Why would he want to work with horrible hacks like myself, Ripper or Joe...and deal with our egos...like wanting to hear ourselves onstage within the cavalcade of Marshall's, or getting our measly salaries on time (or at all)...or maybe it was the desire to be 'buds' that got in the way? Carry on there Sing-vay, you got this!

On a side note, I wrote more than 3/4 of the lyrics and 1/2 melodies for I'll See The Light Tonight, all of the lyrics for Caught In The Middle and Don't Let It End (he wrote the title and got 50% of authorship) and all off On The Run Again (title included). So much for writing EVERYTHING but you must admit, a Puerto Rican 'faking' the praises about a Viking was pretty convincing no? 🙂"
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:corn

Regarding that Dio "tour", I have no idea why people would buy tickets for that. It's a total joke. I must say though, I laughed out loud at this random comment on FB:

Now he needs to record a new album and win a HoloGrammy Award.

:rollin

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Ouch. lol.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't pay attention to Yngwie for the longest time, but I really liked that first album he did with Owens, Perpetual Flame.

I really liked this one too.  Red Devil gets stuck in your head for awhile after you hear it.

But when it comes to Yngwie, I typically just stick with his first two releases.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A statement from JSS

"This is a fabulous statement, oh my! Can't say I blame him, his vocal prowess has increased .05fold the past two decades! Why would he want to work with horrible hacks like myself, Ripper or Joe...and deal with our egos...like wanting to hear ourselves onstage within the cavalcade of Marshall's, or getting our measly salaries on time (or at all)...or maybe it was the desire to be 'buds' that got in the way? Carry on there Sing-vay, you got this!

On a side note, I wrote more than 3/4 of the lyrics and 1/2 melodies for I'll See The Light Tonight, all of the lyrics for Caught In The Middle and Don't Let It End (he wrote the title and got 50% of authorship) and all off On The Run Again (title included). So much for writing EVERYTHING but you must admit, a Puerto Rican 'faking' the praises about a Viking was pretty convincing no? 🙂"

Great statement.

And from Ripper;

"Pretty sure it's because we all quit. Hahaha. Blah blah blah!" Tim then added: "Let [Yngwie] enjoy the singing!"

haha, er, well done Tim, take that Malmsteen!

Offline Art

That was a stupid statement by Malmsteen. Saw him last year (my wife is a big fan), and the stage set is just ridiculous.  :lol

Malmsteen gets 3/4 of the stage for his amps and his leg move (wich he does like 150 times per song), and the other three guys are cramped up in the corner. You can't even see the drummer and the bass player.

Offline Lowdz

New Sweet Lynch track. It rocks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=C3KsWifXpdA

And JLT's response to Yngwie 😀

MALMSTEEN ARTICLE REBUTTAL

In regard to the recent Malmsteen article, I feel compelled to rebut his delusional statements.

The 'Odyssey' album was his biggest success that he has not since and will never repeat again. It's undeniable that I am responsible for 50% of the writing credits namely the melody and lyrics and 100% of the vocal performances.

Malmsteen's statements can only be taken as the rantings of a megalomaniac desperately trying to justify his own insecurity. His claim that 'singers' are too egotistical is moronic and pathetic coming from him.  The fact that he would lash out at all the great vocalists and respectful gentlemen that he had the good fortune and honor to work with is simply outrageous.

How sad does a man become when he has to downgrade others to make himself feel big and important. This man thrives on public approval and needs total control because
he lives in personal fear.  I quit 'Rising Force' because of his intolerable and twisted ego.

If your pride is bigger than your heart and your ego is bigger than your head grow up or you will be alone for life. But after all, who can blame a child who shits his pants because he just doesn't know any better.

JLT

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, nice JLT.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That Sweet Lynch song does rock!!!  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, "Promised Land" has to be the most used name for a song.  I think I've already got 8 or 9 different songs in my library by that name.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Keep it quiet guys but I have it on good authority that Trump will be announcing that Yngwie is replacing Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Man, "Promised Land" has to be the most used name for a song.  I think I've already got 8 or 9 different songs in my library by that name.

Is that all? 😀 I hadn't noticed what the title was tbh, but yeah, cliche city there.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Is that all? 😀 I hadn't noticed what the title was tbh, but yeah, cliche city there.

I have 19 tracks with Promised Land as (or in) the song title.

I thought I would test "Hold On" and gave up at 30 with plenty more to be counted.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I have 19 tracks with Promised Land as (or in) the song title.

I thought I would test "Hold On" and gave up at 30 with plenty more to be counted.

Every AOR band worth its salt has a song called  In The Heat Of The Night

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
under the gun , out on the run  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

under the gun , out on the run  :metal

Dreams...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just kind of catching up on this Yngwie/vocalists stuff.

My Top Three Vocal performances are well established:

Labrie-I&W
Kiske-Keepers Pt 2
Tate-O:M

But #4 would be JSS on Marching Out. He RULES that album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah .......I've said it before that I really hated JSS on the debut Rising Force at the time.   Then Marching Out comes along and I was saying "Who's this new guy?" and I couldn't believe it when it saw it was the same singer.   He matured massively between those albums and then I had the same experience when I heard the debut Talisman - couldn't believe it was the same guy again (much smoother vocal).  From there he became one of my top few vocalists and I collected just about every damn thing he appeared on.

www.theguitardojo.com.au