Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 905484 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent is the hard rock wizard. His roulette will be tough to compete in

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And Kade.........I have all my submissions ready for your roulette , unless you throw some curveballs I am not expecting :lol  :impatient:

Good lord, I only announced it 2 day or so ago and it's not running for another 6 months.  :rollin  Guess I can't back out now.

How the fuck am I gonna be in two roulettes at once?  I'm going crazy enough with Chad.  And yes Brent, there is probably gonna be stuff that can be sent, but it's gonna be a mission.

I agree it's not ideal with Chad and I at the same time . I am in two at the moment myself and it's quite possible that with Evermind's up next I will be running one and participating in two or three at the same time , so you have it easy  ;D

We should be getting paid for this shit.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You couldn't get a better group of hard rock and metal consultants than we have here - if only it was a viable business :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You couldn't get a better group of hard rock and metal consultants than we have here - if only it was a viable business :lol

Fuck you're right, you could be onto something here.  We all have our expertise in different sub genres too :justjen

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
For as deep as your collection is, there are some gaping holes.  We'll fill them up.  Got one more 'check' list to send over to you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I assume you have a list of bands or something Brent that we can use as a guideline.  I know there are some holes, but unlike you two, I don't take notes when the discussions come up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I assume you have a list of bands or something Brent that we can use as a guideline.  I know there are some holes, but unlike you two, I don't take notes when the discussions come up.

Like I said Kade..............come up with a list of some obvious and not so obvious bands , send it to me via PM or email and I will do the work for you telling you what albums I have and don't have by the bands in question.  I reckon there's enough hints in that list a few posts back to get you through a couple of rounds if you're really struggling too.

I really can't see a "banned list" being much use - I've thought about it a lot . I can list the 2500 bands I have in my collection but even then I don't want to ban BANDS where I only have an album or two.

If anyone who is not a regular here joins up then I likely won't know anything they submit anyway (I have no idea who 90% of the bands are in most roulettes) and for you guys I think it's best to get some pre-approvals like Chad is doing and TAC has done.

One other thing I can do for you Kade (if you like) is review your Top 50 and tell you what I do and don't have.

You will also see later when I post the intro that I have a bonus system where you can attempt to convert me on all the "DTF faves" I have never got into - amongst those bands are Rush , Opeth etc...so there's more ideas there if you feel like a risk.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not starting my v2 soon. Not until the next year for sure. Maybe February or March.

I'm totally in for Brent's though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not starting my v2 soon. Not until the next year for sure. Maybe February or March.

I'm totally in for Brent's though.

:)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
The waiting list is going to be a bit of a clusterfuck with so many people waiting at the top, subbing in at any time. :lol And at this rate I might end up getting my v2 going before the end of the year. :mehlin

Like I said Kade..............come up with a list of some obvious and not so obvious bands , send it to me via PM or email and I will do the work for you telling you what albums I have and don't have by the bands in question.
If you aren't doing a banned list, does that mean this applies to everyone, Brent? If so I might draw up a list too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Like I said Kade..............come up with a list of some obvious and not so obvious bands , send it to me via PM or email and I will do the work for you telling you what albums I have and don't have by the bands in question.
If you aren't doing a banned list, does that mean this applies to everyone, Brent? If so I might draw up a list too.

Yes mate -  I figure it's a much better idea than a banned artist list that crashes the internet where I may also be interested in some missing albums from some of them.  It'll also help save on a lot of back and forward/re-submissions for participants.

I will mention that in my OP too - if I do it for some I should be willing to do it for everyone and I'm happy to do so.

Having said that I am dropping a few extra hints around here as the regulars here will have a lot more crossover with my collection and perhaps need a bit more help.   If any of the young ones decide to have a go I doubt there'll be any worries about me knowing anything :lol
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:11:20 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Having said that I am dropping a few extra hints around here as the regulars here will have a lot more crossover with my collection and perhaps need a bit more help.   If any of the young ones decide to have a go I doubt there'll be any worries about me knowing anything :lol
Yeah, I kind of think I fall into the middle somewhere. I listen to plenty of rock/metal but not really enough to be aware of the obscure stuff so it's not easy finding things you might not know. On the other hand, there's a shit-ton of bands in my library outside of those genres but I don't think any of it is stuff that would appeal to you in the slightest and I don't feel like torturing you. :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The waiting list is going to be a bit of a clusterfuck with so many people waiting at the top, subbing in at any time. :lol And at this rate I might end up getting my v2 going before the end of the year.

I know, but I didn't expect so many people to bail out when I was signing in for v2. The list was pretty long back then.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That sounds all good Brent, I'm sure we'll all make it work.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Old age is a bitch.........I have had a song in my head for 4 days now , I can remember all the melodies/riffs of the opening minute or so but no words (there goes Google) and for the life of me I cannot think who it is.  I am loving the song though  :lol  >:(

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds interesting.  Any ideas? visuals? etc?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nah Kade........nothing except this riff/melody and it's starting to piss me off.  I am hoping that it's buried in Chad's roulette playlist in iTunes .......if so I might come across it some time before 2020 as it's a fucking big playlist - he was on the waiting list 12 months or something  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
haha, let us know if you figure it out.  I hate shit like that.  Especially when you wanna listen to the song.

Offline Lowdz

Nothing worse than the elusive ear worm. I feel your pain mate.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Old age is a bitch.........I have had a song in my head for 4 days now , I can remember all the melodies/riffs of the opening minute or so but no words (there goes Google) and for the life of me I cannot think who it is.  I am loving the song though  :lol  >:(

Your avatar is fitting for this post!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

How did you know it was a Winger song?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If it was a Winger song, he'd know that shit inside out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

How did you know it was a Winger song?
Bitch's intuition!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
so I took the advice of a few here and blind bought the Saxon Carrere Years set.  This will be the first Saxon notes I have ever heard (that I know of).  What do I start with?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
so I took the advice of a few here and blind bought the Saxon Carrere Years set.  This will be the first Saxon notes I have ever heard (that I know of).  What do I start with?

Awesome!!!!!!!!!! :metal :metal

Just start at the beginning!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I had one of these a month or two ago, and I'd completely forgotten about it by now fortunately. But I was sitting here just now going through some stuff for your roulette, and I fucking found it. :rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

I just stumbled onto an old demo with this band photo.  Who's the singer?  (2nd from right).  Not too hard actually :lol   And that's some of the "best" glam gear ever.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
[img ]here was a picture of an older and fatter Seb Bach but somehow this link didn't work[/img ]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:14:42 AM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Is there any interest in the Hollywood Vampires project with Alice Cooper and Joe Perry (and Johhny Depp .....why?  ::)  )       It's mostly covers so not sure if I can be bothered .   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

yeah and it's covers we have heard a million times by a million artists. Not something that sounds interesting to me.

Offline Kwyjibo

Just read at mr.com about the "Carsten Lizard Schulz Syndicate" and realised that german names don't go well with metal. Never heard of this guy, but the name of this band sounds awkward  :o

And approximately 40 million people in germany are named Schulz.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just read at mr.com about the "Carsten Lizard Schulz Syndicate" and realised that german names don't go well with metal. Never heard of this guy, but the name of this band sounds awkward  :o

And approximately 40 million people in germany are named Schulz.

Pretty decent singer and I was just listening to something with him on recently.  I wouldn't have thought that many people have heard of him though and so not sure why the name.

Maybe he should get together with Jake E Lee and form the Carsten Lizard Schulz Red Dragon Syndicate.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

:metal

Offline Lowdz

:metal

I'd skip the first album but everything from there is gold. They get better as they go up to Power & Glory, then drop a bit as they went a bit "American".