Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896864 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll use this best of to get a general feel of his stuff.  Looks like a lot of UFO tracks on here though, lots of live stuff too.

F&M has three songs from MSG.
Are You Ready To Rock (which is barely OK)
Attack Of The Mad Axeman (which has a great solo at the end)
On And On (which just might be one of the most influential songs of my musical life. Should be right up your alley!)

Band includes Cozy Powell and Paul Raymond on this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Right, so MSG and Schenker solo are two different entities?  :lol  I never knew that.  The amount of work he has done is quite incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, when he left UFO he formed the Michael Schenker Group.
His first album is a s/t and second is titled MSG.
He sacked Gary Barden for Graham Bonnet for his third album Assault Attack. (produced by Martin Birch..sounds incredible)
He brought back Barden for Built To Destroy (which I think you would love.)

After a few years off, he resurfaced in 1987 with Robin McCauley and formed the McCauley Schenker Group (MSG  ;D)
They released 3 albums. The mid 90's through the 00's saw him release a number of Michael Schenker Group albums, with numerous vocalists. These are all kind of spotty. Some good stuff though.

In 2000, he released Adventures Of The Imagination, which is an excellent instrumental album. Open Gate from F&M is from this. He has a number of instrumental albums, and a bunch of cool acoustic ones  titled Thank You. I believe there are 4 of these.

His last three albums have been under the Michael Schenker's Temple Of Rock monicker. The first one sucks, but the last two, 2013's Bridge The Gap, and this year's Spirit On A Mission are two of the best albums he's done since his classic early 80's material.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, that's not confusing haha.  I like Graham Bonnet, will have to check out Assault Attack.  Didn't know he had so much instrumental work, strange I haven't really checked him out before.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If you like Graham Bonnet, then you will LOVE Assault Attack. Seriously, just blind buy it. It's a great album and with Birch producing, it sounds amazing. I'd take both MSG and Built To Destroy over it, but productionwise, it's no contest.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Check out "Desert Song" from MSG..........awesome

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If you like Graham Bonnet, then you will LOVE Assault Attack. Seriously, just blind buy it. It's a great album and with Birch producing, it sounds amazing. I'd take both MSG and Built To Destroy over it, but productionwise, it's no contest.

Alright, if I see in store this weekend, I'll get it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just discovered what seems to be an MSG cover album called Heavy Hitters.  Tim Owens, cool.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yikes - another one from Tate's newie.   Unfortunately, as we expected, the one good song is going to be lonely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbjEBGBaI9M
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Why do you all insist on giving him any of your precious time!?!? 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I suppose the same reason we keep checking out a track or two off the Tolkki Turds ..........or any other trainwreck.   

Back to jingle.roulette listening .  And maybe the new Iron Maiden to see if it's as orgasmic as everyone says.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:40:36 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
To be able to appreciate real greatness you sometimes have to go down low  ;D That's why we listen to Tate & Co.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The first single from Tate was very good

The second single was meh

This third one is terrible

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Back to jingle.roulette listening .  And maybe the new Iron Maiden to see if it's as orgasmic as everyone says.

I'd value your opinions on the Iron Maiden Brent.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ah, I thought from that first WASP song we might have gotten something a bit different from Blackie but guess not.

New song, Crazy......I mean Scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S03jsNAiXY

Same old, but on a plus the whole thing sounds really tight and strong, and Blackie sounds good too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yikes - another one from Tate's newie.   Unfortunately, as we expected, the one good song is going to be lonely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbjEBGBaI9M

Good fucking lord!  Not good at all, and those lyrics are atrocious.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Ah, I thought from that first WASP song we might have gotten something a bit different from Blackie but guess not.

New song, Crazy......I mean Scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S03jsNAiXY

Same old, but on a plus the whole thing sounds really tight and strong, and Blackie sounds good too.

Yeah - I love the vocal sound/production.........sounds like classic Blackie , unlike a lot of the post Crimson albums.  Probably the best he has sounded in ages.   He is really pushing the limits of recycling material with the guitar rhythms though.    This gives me hope for a few really good songs like the last couple of albums anyway.

Whether we get another classic from start to finish with lots of variety like The Headless Children,.....very doubtful.

OK............will give it a listen tomorrow.

BTW I will probably have some interesting memorabilia to post in coming days/weeks.  The reasons for it ain't particularly pleasant , but we're packing a lot of stuff up at the moment and I am finding a lot of things I had forgotten I had.   Much of it is Van Halen related but also some other interesting stuff.

I posted this pic of the remnants of my cassette collection a while back , so will start there again.  It really brings back a heap of memories.  I wish I had all this stuff on vinyl , although tapes seem to be making a comeback at the moment too - NFI why as they are absolute crap.

I also found the long lost photo of me shaking hands with EVH at a meet'n'greet :yeahbaby:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Brent, I was maybe hoping for something along the lines of THC from the first track, but not counting on it.  Still really looking forward to it though.

Looking forward to your posts too.  So much win in those cassettes.  Love the Noiseworks too.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Isn't the cassette resurgence mostly about them being collectibles? I don't think people listen to them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Isn't the cassette resurgence mostly about them being collectibles? I don't think people listen to them.

That's what I thought but there are a number of labels doing new releases on cassette again , bands are doing promos etc....

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Cassettes are the shit.  Especailly cassingles, or whatever they were called.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I don't miss having to rewind/fastforward those things all the fucking time.

Offline Lowdz

I have alot of those same cassettes. I used to buy cds for listening at home and if it was a great album I'd get the cassette for the walkman. Home taping didn't have the audiophile quality I demanded back then  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It was tough to get the play and record button down at the same time, right before the album starts.  You were either too slow or too early and had a huge fucking gap before the first song.

Offline Kwyjibo

Or you played your favorite tape in the car and your player ate the tape  >:(, no, not going back to that shit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Or performing countless surgeries on them when the little sponge piece moved or disappeared altogether!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Or performing countless surgeries on them when the little sponge piece moved or disappeared altogether!

I don't remember that problem.  I rarely bought album cassettes, as they always used the worst quality cassette's.  As I've mentioned before, I was a Maxell XLII guy, and I'd make my own from rip from vinyl/CD, borrow/trade/share from someone else's.

Saw things like this a while ago on FB:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
A cassette tape flash drive? How hipster. Use a real cassette or GTFO.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I lost interest in Halestorm after their first album but she does a pretty fine version of Heaven and Hell live.

https://youtu.be/JQjpOWLpnJE

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, I had these issues too.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't buy too many cassettes, but made some mix tapes from cds.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Ah, recording cassettes! Had a lot of fun with those. I became a Master of the Pauze button! Even recorded a live compilation of all intro's and guitarsolo's of Kiss Alive II which was almost seemless. The trick was also to wind the tape all the way to the end of the 'pre-tape' portion before pushing REC/Play. (or Pauze).

Also:

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

Oh yes, the pencil. I had a special pencil just for winding the tape, because not all pencils didn't fit equally good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

It seems that the majority of Maiden fans are really digging it Kade , so I am sure you'll like it but it's not doing too much for me.   Empire of the Clouds is the longest and best attempt at the epic side of things - I don't find it glorious or anything but I also didn't find myself checking the clock which is a good effort for any song of that length. Good song.

The rest..........well it's just "there" for me.  Nothing on it sucks and nothing on it really grabs me by the throat and pulls me in.   And although I am not the world's biggest Maiden fan they are more than capable of impressing me.   Somewhere In Time in particular gets big marks from me and I have 20 or so 5 star tracks on iTunes across my Maiden collection which is basically all the 80's stuff and the double CD From Fear To Eternity.

Most of the Maiden albums other than my top few tend to have 2 or 3 top rated tracks and a number of 3 stars which adds up to a rating around high 70's- low 80's.    The Book of Souls gets a similar rating (high 70's) but it's all 4 stars and a couple of 3's.  I would rather the former (a few brilliant tracks) rather than just "good" from beginning to end.

I will give it another listen but I don't feel any compulsion to do so.....not much zing at all for the most part and very little in the way of melodies or songwriting that sounded fresh.   I must say that from 6-10 mins in the title track ....that was the only time I really felt  :metal  :metal but it took 6 mins to get there and I had almost zoned out by then.  The lead single is also a pretty strong single I thought.

It's not an album I would bag mercilessly but I was definitely expecting much more based on the reviews .  I hope it does a better job of meeting your expectations.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:52:32 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns