Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 902349 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->

Lemmyngs?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Fifth Angel  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=233&v=-5Nkjoai-GY

I wouldn't rave over the song itself (good without blowing me away) but I think the overall sound (and the "new"vocalist) are good enough to suggest we're going to get a high quality album from them  :tup
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:34:02 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree, Brent. Sounds pretty solid. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Fifth Angel does the power ballad very well and this sounds like a solid progression from 30 years ago  :lol

It's a great song but not the type of song I was expecting as the first release.  Not sure if it's an official first single or if they will just be releasing lyric videos for a few songs before the release.

The album cover is kick ass 

Offline Lowdz

I enjoyed that. Looks l8ke we can get a bit excited for this one.

First track from the Gary Moore tribute available here. Sykes is excellent on it and no pinch harmonics for the first time every 😱. Thunder’s Danny Bowes is such a great singer for this stuff.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/listen-to-still-got-the-blues-for-you-from-forthcoming-gary-moore-tribute-album

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks for posting, Paul. I saw that the other day, but didn't have time to play it.  Love the vocals on this.

More proof that the world needs more John Sykes.

Man, I miss Gary Moore. The world lost a genius.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Beautiful job by John Sykes. Very respectful, conveying Moore's urge and scratch yet keeping his own voice. Incredible artist, should have given us more.

Very interested in Steve Morse's take on Parisienne Walkaways.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Really liked that version by Sykes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
IMO you can hear that Sykes has lost a few gears (speed/accuracy) in the faster stuff but I still liked it - he has about the best tone to channel Gary Moore (absent all the "feel" of Moore).

I'll be interested to hear how Steve Morse goes too - I often find him quite cold/sterile.  So if he can do justice to Moore I might change my mind  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:17:19 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

IMO you can hear that Sykes has lost a few gears (speed/accuracy) in the faster stuff but I still liked it - he has about the best tone to channel Gary Moore (absent all the "feel" of Moore).

I'll be interested to hear how Steve Morse goes too - I often find him quite cold/sterile.  So if he can do justice to Moore I might change my mind  :)

Agree on Morse. Technically gifted but lacking the emotion. I don’t see him as a songwriter either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought that too with the faster stuff at the end.  Still solid though.

I have never been a big Morse fan either, his style is way too repetitive IMO.  Lacks variation and feel most of the time.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->

That's the exact reason I'm extremely curious about it. Gary Moore, among other amazing qualities, had the otherwordly ability to relinquish control over the fretboard, go on pure instinctual rampages and suddenly awaken from the trance. The result was flawlessly organic. Morse seems to be continously analysing what he plays, and he never loses a speck of intellectual control on his phrases. Parisienne Walkaways - an emotive piece like few others - could be a fantastic workbench for him to show he can let go.

Offline Lowdz

Certainly interested to hear it. I do enjoy his playing. Tumeni Notes rips.

The last Purple album was great and I enjoyed the making of documentary. He’s really suffering with arthritis with the exaggerated picking hand position.

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

There's a new Sykes album waiting to be released in late 2018/early 2019. Sy-Ops is it's title, feat. Tony Franklin. https://allthatshreds.com/is-john-sykes-sy-ops-album-finally-going-to-be-released/

I liked Steve Morse in Kansas and like him in Purple. I think he has a great creamy tone. I like the last two DP albums very much.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I like Steve Morse's playing very much and imo he has a lot of feel in his playing. He just isn't a good song writer and that's where his solo records lack. He's definitely a better writer in a band situation, Kansas, Deep Purple, Flying Colours etc. have a lot of great songs he's contributed to.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Went and saw Metallica last night.

Awesome 2.5 hour show; this band knows how to put on a great show and James still sounds just as good as ever.  You talk about singers who have taken care of their voice and still going strong, you have to include James in the conversation.

The only head scratcher was a cover of BTO'S Takin' Care of Business with Robert singing it.  I could have done without that one lol.  But overall it was St Anger and LuLu free!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Yeah, he actually got better with age, technically and soundwise.

Offline ozzy554

I dont care what anybody says st.anger is a killer live track that should be performed regularly.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Had to save this from page 2.

New Gus G / Vinnie Moore.  I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewxpWckg7o
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Yeah, Loved that. Vinnie is my favourite guitarist. Such melody in his playing for a shredder.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I wonder what the go is with this track.  Must just be a one of as it's not on Gus' new album.

Gus though is quickly becoming one of my fav guitarists, his style is wonderful.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I wonder what the go is with this track.  Must just be a one of as it's not on Gus' new album.

Gus though is quickly becoming one of my fav guitarists, his style is wonderful.

I was wondering the same - I even had to go back and check the tracklist of Fearless to be sure.

Offline Lowdz

Gus and Vinnie are touring together, with Richie Kotzen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim are you thinking of ordering the ultimate fan bundle just to talk to Mike Howe on the phone?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
$150 Definitely not.  :lol

The $22 CD preorder is cool. That's not too much to get the autographs.

Unfortunately I get all of my CDs from Amazon..

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Looking forward to the new Metal Church.  :metal

I'll be getting mine on amazon. Don't really care about anything offered as a bonus. Just the record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Bringing back Howe was definitely the best move for the band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bringing back Howe would be the best move for any band!

Offline ozzy554

Bringing back Howe was definitely the best move for the band.

Kurdt thought so too. He was actually considering ending the band if Mike had said no.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Not sure how many follow Blabbermouth on a regular basis, but they seem to always have stories with the same rock stars over and over.  It's clearly just to mess around with people, but for the last couple weeks it's seemingly been turned up a notch with daily trivial stories revolving around KK Downing.  I think each story is from his new book, but it's funny watching people lose it with the constant KK updates lol.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Blabbermouth isn't even on my radar. I go to Bravewords for my daily metal news.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Blabbermouth isn't even on my radar. I go to Bravewords for my daily metal news.

Canadian  :metal