Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906487 times)

nick_z and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes it was. Cool. I'll be on the lookout for it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
For my fellow magazine whores from the 70's and 80's  ...........might bring back some memories. 

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kiss-magazine-ads/

Links down the bottom to Van Halen and Metallica
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's cool, Brent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Listening to Beast From the East in the car today for the first time in a LONG time.  Lynch tearing shit up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

For my fellow magazine whores from the 70's and 80's  ...........might bring back some memories. 

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kiss-magazine-ads/

Links down the bottom to Van Halen and Metallica

What got me into KISS originally was the adverts in the Marvel comics. It was the solo album covers that intrigued me and I sought out the music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So.........

Firepower or Thunderbolt?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Firepower for me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd say Firepower, but that is only becuase of the circumstances surrounding them.  Saxon keeps putting out powerhouse album after powerhouse album and this new one is no exception.

Priest though, disappointing album beforehand, most likely their last album and Glenn's situation makes it more triumphant. 

Saxon lose out here in an unfair situation.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Wolf sums it up well.

Saxon is just consistently good with each album.

Priest lost me with Nostradamus but came back strongly with RoS, but it still wasn't quite there yet for me.  Firepower takes RoS a few levels up and as a result, in my opinion, is a phenomenal album.  I don't want to say masterpiece quite yet, but I know this will be my favorite album of 2018 easily and a top tier Priest album overall.  And this isn't just new album talk that people tend to do.  This is a fantastic heavy metal album.

Thunderbolt is awesome, but Firepower is even better.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Very quiet in here boys lately. 

Been spinning through Dokkens old ones the last couple of days.  I know why they were a band that didn't hook me as much as others, great stuff but quite a bit of filler throughout the albums.   Beast From the East is where it's at.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Been spinning through Dokkens old ones the last couple of days.  I know why they were a band that didn't hook me as much as others, great stuff but quite a bit of filler throughout the albums.   Beast From the East is where it's at.

I was a big fan of Dokken in '87-'88.  Burning Like a Flame was one of my favorite songs at the time, although Heaven Sent has aged much better for me.  Something about that song is just really cool.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What's KevShmev doing in here? Who left the back door open??

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

You're too old for that much fun.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Would be one of my "most played" albums ever (and well up there in my DTF Top 50) , certainly one of only a few live albums that I bothered with and yet I didn't go too overboard on many of the Dokken studio albums.    ULAK and BFTA were the go to albums there.  Don Dokken solo also got a fair go.

The stuff from Tooth and Nail etc....sounded so much better on "Beast".

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm having deja vu!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Beast is one of the best live albums ever.  I think that album was the climax of the band and they were never able to reach that level again.  The first four Dokken studio albums are pretty much the definition of the hair band era and contain lots of killer tunes.  Don's solo album really should be considered the fifth Dokken album as it's basically the same sound.

Everything after that point is extreme hit or miss and really not worth having IMO.  Shadowlife is one of the worst things I've ever heard.  It's beyond bad, and I can't imagine Brent even giving it a rating it the positives.  I remember Erase the Slate having some good tunes, but not enough to get me interested in the band.  Every other release has some decent tunes on it, but just so far removed from the quality of their 80's albums.

Dokken obviously had some success, but I guess they haven't stood the test of time at all.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone in person talk about them and I know for sure I've never heard them on regular radio.  I guess they just had their moment and that was it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Like a few of their contemporaries the only place Dokken was huge was Japan .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I never gave those 'middle' albums from Dokken with George much attention, but I should check them out.  Up From the Ashes I'd take over most of these early albums though I think, much more consistent.

I'm also listening to Live From the Sun right now and I use to love that DVD and love Reb Beach, but listening now years later, he's an amazing guitarist, but just doesn't do these songs justice surprisingly.

Offline Lowdz

After BFTA being one of my favourite albums ever, I was very disappointed in Up From The Ashes. It’s ok, some good songs, but I missed Lynch.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That was actually pretty good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not bad - first half of the riff is a dead ringer for one of the Gillen tracks off Sacred Groove .  Better than expected I suppose.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Better than I expected too.  But I'm still not going to get it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This is just a bonus track on that DVD hey?  They're not doing an album are they?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah its just a bonus song on the live cd.  I think there is an acoustic bonus song too.  Plus the live dvd.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah fuck that.  I'm not buying it either.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I dig it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This album is fucking awesome! Just made a purchase!

Has a wicked old school Fields Of The Nephilim vibe.  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Very recent interview with Judas Priest - Richie, Rob and Glenn

https://youtu.be/UcT4BZeTICo

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Tim, WTF?!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte

Tim, WTF?!

:lol

I'm listening to this now, I like it! You're spot on about the Nephilim vibe. Very goth-y post-punk sound with bits of doom metal thrown in. But I'm SHOCKED that you can get past cookie monster!? Im gonna have dig into this band a little more.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tim, WTF?!

:lol

Man, I LOVE Fred Sanford. :lol

I'm listening to this now, I like it! You're spot on about the Nephilim vibe. Very goth-y post-punk sound with bits of doom metal thrown in. But I'm SHOCKED that you can get past cookie monster!? Im gonna have dig into this band a little more.

I knew that YOU would get the Nephilim reference. I remember first getting into FOTN back in the day. I just found them so stylish and unique, and even though the vocals were not typical for me, I just found them part of the mystique.

I have been really working to find some middle ground on the whole Growls thing. I am coming to grips that some of the best music being made today unfortunately are from Growl bands. I am finding myself very particular when it comes to what I can tolerate. I have quite a few Growl albums saved on Spotify that I keep coming back to in small doses.

As far as the Tribulation goes, I think musically, it's really cool. It creates a great mood. And like I said, it's a slightly heavier version of Fields Of The Nephilim. It has a very similar vibe, which I totally dig.
Now the elephant in the room is the vocals, obviously, but for me, they are closer to a heavier Lemmy than a guttural growl.

This is the second Growl album I've bought in the last couple of years, the first being Enshine's Singularity. Gord, you should check that out.