Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896881 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I just listened for the first time probably since the late 90's, Van Halen's "How Many Say I" from VH3.

This song is just pure tripe and has to Van Halen's worst song in their entire discography.

Serves you right for putting that album in. It's the Frquency Unknown of VH albums.

Although VH III is far from AOTY this comparison is quite unfair.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ben bought his first ever CD from his own money today.

So I just got home from vacation so I'm going to try and catch up...

Awesome purchase!

I made my first album purchase with my own money when I was Ben's age. Mine was KISS Alive II.

Does everyone remember their first..um...purchase?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
KISS Killers 1982 (8yo) - still have the cassette.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I still have my KISS Alive II vinyl.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It was Iron Maiden but can't recall which one, might have been TNOTB.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Meat Loaf - Dead Ringer. Then KISS Creatures of the Night.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So on my trip, one of the albums I ran through was Ozzy's Tribute live album.

Honestly I don't listen to this a lot.

I am very suspicious of the organicness of the vocals. They are way too good, especially when he sounds like ass every time he speaks into the mike.
I checked the Cleveland boot, and Ozzy actually isn't bad, but these vocals are at least sent through a tuner, but I'm not buying this vocal as a live vocal.

And (puts on the flame suit) Randy is all over the place on this. Is it just me? I mean he is totally dialed in on Mr. Crowley, along with the band. But switching between lead and rhythm and back just comes accross as distracting. He does have a wicked sound though, especially on Believer.

To me, the true star of this album is Tommy Aldridge.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Can't remember my first purchase - I do distinctly remember Supertramp/Live in Paris on vinyl - still have it.  Never bought album cassettes.  My first CD was DLR / Eat 'em and Smile.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I am very suspicious of the organicness of the vocals. They are way too good, especially when he sounds like ass every time he speaks into the mike.
I checked the Cleveland boot, and Ozzy actually isn't bad, but these vocals are at least sent through a tuner, but I'm not buying this vocal as a live vocal.

And (puts on the flame suit) Randy is all over the place on this. Is it just me? I mean he is totally dialed in on Mr. Crowley, along with the band. But switching between lead and rhythm and back just comes accross as distracting. He does have a wicked sound though, especially on Believer.

I haven't listened to it in years, so I can't comment.  I always liked it though but I should get the cd out again.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Never bought cassettes, my first vinyl was Dire Straits - Making Movies and my first CD was Best Of Level 42. Not very metal.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

I haven't listened to it in years, so I can't comment.  I always liked it though but I should get the cd out again.

Always thought the vocals were redone. Did they have vocal tuners in those days capable of that?
Never noticed any issues with Randy tbh but it’s not an album I’ve played a huge amount.

His tone on there is immense though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I love everything about RRT even allowing for the doctoring , which - let's be honest - is more the done thing than the exception.   KISS did it , Dokken did it ....but I love all those albums as it's more the live playing (or part therof )  that adds an extra level of energy.  I do understand what Tim says about the way Randy adjusted to cope with rhythm and lead but from a guitarists point of view I felt he did a good job.

I have a feeling I might have given you the raw show sound Tim a while back?   Still a great show IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes you did. I checked the vocals against it. He was actually really on too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love everything about RRT even allowing for the doctoring , which - let's be honest - is more the done thing than the exception.   KISS did it , Dokken did it ....but I love all those albums as it's more the live playing (or part therof )  that adds an extra level of energy.  I do understand what Tim says about the way Randy adjusted to cope with rhythm and lead but from a guitarists point of view I felt he did a good job.

I have a feeling I might have given you the raw show sound Tim a while back?   Still a great show IMO.

Yeah, I don't really care about the recording and cover ups on live albums.  Priest did it also, as did WASP.

Offline ozzy554

I've also heard the Cleveland bootleg and it was a solid show. Sure it had some typical Ozzy stuff for the time like not getting the lyrics right for Believer and Steal away the night, 2 songs that he usually did that with but overall he sounded pretty good.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I wish I could see this show, but I need to take a break from concerts with 2 little kids at home.  Should be a killer set from Armored Saint, plus Act of Defiance!

:metal :metal

Offline Lowdz

I've also heard the Cleveland bootleg and it was a solid show. Sure it had some typical Ozzy stuff for the time like not getting the lyrics right for Believer and Steal away the night, 2 songs that he usually did that with but overall he sounded pretty good.

I’ve never liked Believer. Crap song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I wish I could see this show, but I need to take a break from concerts with 2 little kids at home.  Should be a killer set from Armored Saint, plus Act of Defiance!

:metal :metal

Very nice Grappler  . DTF Top 50 album for me there - that'd be my ultimate Armored Saint show  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw the original tour......TWICE! ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That Armored Saint album is getting another re-issue on cd and vinyl!!

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess I should check out that full album.  The one song I got in my roulette was killer but didn't go through the whole thing.  You guys obviously rate it very highly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm listening to this Lione/Conti which up to the third track is very underwhelming but the reason I post is the verse melody in the third song You're Falling is a direct rip of Ryche's The Mission, bloody hell.

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/57SNPbxi0r0

RATT with better vocals 😆

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Saw the original tour......TWICE! ;D

Lucky! I can't do Southern Cali. Already went down there once this year for Fates Warning (LA and San Diego) and going in September for Helloween. I can't do three trips. Sucks, but maybe they will do another leg. I have a feeling this is going to be recorded for a live blu-ray. Just a gut feeling.

That Armored Saint album is getting another re-issue on cd and vinyl!!

:metal

Yes they are, and it is an automatic pickup. I have the special 3 CD version they put out in 2003, but I just checked, and while it has a disc of four-track demos for the album tracks, it doesn't have the demos listed for this new version:

14. Medieval Nightmares (Demo)
15. Get Lost (Demo)
16. Toungue and Cheek (Demo)
17. Pirates (Demo)

>>>>>>So for those alone, it is worth it. Saint fucking slays.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Worth buying another copy for 4 demo tracks?  Holy moly, alright, I'll give this album a good spin tonight.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://youtu.be/57SNPbxi0r0

RATT with better vocals 😆

Holy shit! I was NOT expecting that! :lol

Fucking awesome!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Check out this awful live video from the new Dokken DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajTfrGK1lj8

Awful because of the overly blatant overdubbing of Don's vox.  Surely they don't think they are kidding anyone here?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Even Don Dokktored sounds shit  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Even Don Dokktored sounds shit  :lol

:lol

Dead Dokken.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It just seems like Don is going through the motions big time and really couldn't care less.

I will stick with the first Beast from the East, which kicks ass

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Aussies............

Extreme & Mr. Big 2018 Australian Tour
Tickets on sale 10am local time Wednesday, 7th March

Friday, 1st June
Eatons Hill Hotel, Brisbane
Tickets: Oztix

Sunday, 3rd June
Enmore Theatre, Sydney
Tickets: Ticketek

Wednesday, 6th June
Forum Theatre, Melbourne
Tickets: Ticketmaster

Thursday, 7th June
Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide
Tickets: Ticketmaster

Friday, 8th June
Metro City, Perth
Tickets: Ticketek

Guess I will go along to that - Extreme are great live.   So we have Europe, LA Guns, Extreme and Mr Big here within a few weeks.  Nothing for ages and then whammo.

www.theguitardojo.com.au