Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896824 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
hey guys, so I mentioned a while back that I had been laid off from work.  Since the guys hanging out in this thread are most of the ones I interact with on a regular basis, thought I would just post the update here.

Back in September I was laid off as part of a pretty significant action by my former employer (of 16 years) to cut costs.  I was actually working from home that day and got the call from my manager and HR while I was wearing a t-shirt with my company's logo on the front.  I felt like the kid hearing his favorite player had been traded while wearing that player's jersey.  The company had been going through a slight rough patch, but this was a huge shock to say the least.

But by the end of that same day I was pretty much over it.  My manager, while great to work for at the beginning, had taken on additional responsibilities and was becoming someone that I gradually started to dislike.  Also, the overall situation for advancement and opportunity at the company was not very good.  It is a foreign company albeit with a significant presence in the US.  For upper finance management positions in the US, the company rotates in people from its home country for experience then ships them elsewhere in the world.  Unfortunately what happens is that lower and middle management folks from the US never move up, so they never go anywhere creating a logjam at the bottom and much stagnation.  I remember at one point a couple of years ago they told us that we shouldn't look at career advancement as moving up the chain but more as moving laterally and learning new jobs.  I probably should have been looking for something outside the company sooner but I was loyal to the company (my how short-sighted that was . . .) and I was really good at what I did, so that was at least fulfilling to a point.  They just decided I was too expensive I suppose.

So, I am laid off.  Time for a job search.  I live near a major metropolitan area, lots of companies big and small, major corporate headquarters, etc.  Should be easy for someone with a great deal of finance experience, management experience, several years as a senior analyst, etc, right?  It was not.  To say it has been an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement.  I went through days where things looked promising only to have things fall through followed by days/weeks of nothing going on despite me applying for positions right and left.  I learned that if you don't know someone at a company, they aren't going to talk to you.  Applying online is like sending your resume into a black hole.  I had a couple of really low points where I was wondering if I would land anything, would we have to sell the house, be able to have Christmas for the kids etc.  One was in mid-November and the other was the week before Christmas (not a great time to be miserable).  Luckily, I received a call from one company at 5 PM the Friday before Christmas, asking me to interview in early January.  Then the very next morning I received an email from someone at a different company asking to schedule an interview as well.  I'm so thankful those two things happened as I'm sure I would have been a complete mess through the holidays.  But now I had hope.  That second company just happened to be my A#1 first choice to work for (I actually already had two interviews with this company for other positions, but they both went to internal candidates).

So January rolls around and I have my interviews, both of which went well.  Then the hard part comes.  The waiting.  Will I get a callback?  Will it be good news?  How long is it going to take?  Fast forward to Friday morning and I get call from A#1 company.  They are offering me a job that sounds fantastic.  I can't wait to get started and kick some ass.

Long story short, fuck my former employer and I am very excited to be starting my new role at the new company.  Oh and my commute is now less than 5 minutes.

I know this is the classic hard rock/metal thread, but I'm gonna draw on one of my favorite 90s R&B songs to describe how I'm feeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w

I was totally with you, Jon, until the youtube link. :lol

Awesome! Very happy for you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

God, that would have been the perfect time for a Kip-roll.   :rollin :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

God, that would have been the perfect time for a Kip-roll.   :rollin :rollin

Good lord that would have been amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No, not really. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I really liked the first Voodoo Circle song we heard but now we get this fucking crap;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ05TMMQ3VI

For fucks sake!!  >:(

Offline Lowdz

I really liked the first Voodoo Circle song we heard but now we get this fucking crap;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ05TMMQ3VI

For fucks sake!!  >:(

Have to say, I didn’t hate it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I just stay away from most of the single and snippet releases.  I prefer to wait for the whole damn thing (most of the time).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Loudness!
https://bravewords.com/news/loudness-release-official-music-video-for-new-song-soul-on-fire

What do you guys think?

Studio Loudness always disappoints, but honestly, I actually don't mind this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard anything from Loudness.  Take notes if you like.

Actually, since I'm looking at rouletting around March April, I'm going to mention my status in regards to bands that pop up.  Maybe this might help some of you guys if you may get stuck.  I don't know, just a thought.

But Loudness is one band I know practically nothing about.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Actually, since I'm looking at rouletting around March April, I'm going to mention my status in regards to bands that pop up.  Maybe this might help some of you guys if you may get stuck.  I don't know, just a thought.

I would never send them. Like I said, their studio output is pretty weak. The only thing worth having by them is their 1983 live album, which is incredible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I would never send them. Like I said, their studio output is pretty weak. The only thing worth having by them is their 1983 live album, which is incredible.

I thought that, but I just came up with it and might even help me also when it comes to roulette time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I only know Crazy Nights and Like Hell from Loudness.  Pretty good tunes, I would imagine Thunder in the East is their biggest album.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Soldier of Fortune got an HM in my Top 50 ........the only proper studio album featuring Michael Vescera.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online NoseofNicko

Weak studio output? Nah. The Law of Devil's Land, Disillusion, Thunder in the East, Lightning Strikes and Soldier of Fortune are all great albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Law of Devil's Land, Disillusion, 

I tried these, but they just don't compare to Live Loud Alive.

Thunder in the East, Lightning Strikes and Soldier of Fortune are all great albums.

Everything I've sampled from them has felt very generic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just ran through the new Loudness on Spotify. Very impressed! :metal :metal

Just ordered the CD :yarr

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Soldier of Fortune got an HM in my Top 50 ........the only proper studio album featuring Michael Vescera.

Didnt know Vescera worked with them, nice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
After reeling back my cd buying over the last couple of years, my all time fav bands still have me by the nuts. Went out today to get a few things so went to JB for a browse. They had a copy of the new Primal Fear best of 2CD. I have no use for it and really was a waste of 25 bucks, but I couldn't leave it there hahaha.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Wolf, don't worry, you are preaching to the choir with that lol

Hello my name is Jason......

But I have actually reeled it back big time over the last couple of years as it was out of control for years.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
But I have actually reeled it back big time over the last couple of years as it was out of control for years.

Hi, I'm Chad, and I've had no such luck.  31 albums purchased last year (which was a drop from the 47 I purchased last year).

I've already got a Wolfking list that's about 40 bands strong, but it'll certainly be interesting to see who else might pop up as available.  I don't know much Loudness, so giving Tim's 'instant-purchase' review, I'm gonna go check the new one out momentarily

Offline Lowdz

Soldier of Fortune is good but I was never a fan. Thunder In The East is ok.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
40 band list Chad!? Nice.  :metal

Wolf, don't worry, you are preaching to the choir with that lol

Hello my name is Jason......

I knew you'd have my back Jason.

Going back to this Primal Fear, Predator is one of the coolest things they have ever done, ripping tune.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

That's just the holdovers from the last roulette!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's just the holdovers from the last roulette!

:metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hey Brent, what do you know about this band? Here's their latest album:

I mean, the band and album name?  :facepalm: :lol
No sure if they intentionally rip off riffs as part of their shtick or if they are just unoriginal, but I have a confession to make. I very guiltily and shamefully enjoyed this! :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have both their albums on my "to do list" (have sampled enough to follow up) but haven't checked out in detail as yet.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have both their albums on my "to do list" (have sampled enough to follow up) but haven't checked out in detail as yet.

Cool. I Saved it on Spotify. It sounds like a homage to some classic hard rock. I mean, it looks ridiculous on the surface, but ...I liked it. :blush

Oh, and people, the new Loudness album is awesome!

Also enjoying the new Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins album. It's a bit campy in spots but for the most part it is  :metal
The 20+ minute epic title track is fantastic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Chainsaw Charlie from WASP's new Crimson Idol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_WSZN7c4Ak&feature=youtu.be

I'm actually impressed with how this is done.  For 25 years later, it shows Blackie still has it and the band are quite good and the new production sounds different but refreshing.  I still don't understand the point as it is really quite close to the original and the altered lyrics is pretty stupid but I'll pick this up for sure.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
  I still don't understand the point.............. the altered lyrics is pretty stupid................. but I'll pick this up for sure.

Take that one to your friends at Metalholics Anonymous  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline Lowdz

Have to say I’m enjoying the Loudness, but the riffs are the sort of thing I come up with when jamming and throw them away as being too obvious  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Well, someone has to do the obvious.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, someone has to do the obvious.  :biggrin:

Obviously

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
  I still don't understand the point.............. the altered lyrics is pretty stupid................. but I'll pick this up for sure.

Take that one to your friends at Metalholics Anonymous  :lol

I make no apologies for my actions.  ;D