Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896592 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
FWIW I am hearing that some sort of major announcement from KISS is imminent.

What KISS consider major and what the fans consider major are often two different things but that's the goss.

Hopefully it's they are going to break up immediately and never show their faces in public again.

Or Gene Simmons lube, but I'm sure that already exists.

It sure does... just used some last night. :zydar:

Nice to see you had the house to yourself last night Chad.

It didn’t help Chad. I haven’t been able to walk all day 😀

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Vinnie Vincent reappears after a couple of decades in seclusion.    Seems he has done a "Mark Free" but great to see him out and about and communicating with the fans again.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh wow.

Offline Lowdz

I heard the rumours. I’m amazed he turned up. I thought he wouldn’t.

Maybe he should team up with a Marcie Free? Great marketing opportunity and it would piss off Trump’s America  :biggrin:

Great hear he’s been playing and writing all this time, if he’s not bullshitting.

Anyway, anyone played the new Magnum? Impressed at first listen.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Haven't got it yet but heard good things about it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

Vinnie actlooks very much like my mate who transitioned a few years ago  :omg:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I thought it was a bucket full of meh.  Bob sounds excellent, but Magnum is mostly a 'miss' for me.

:dunno:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

Well, I'm a big Magnum fan, so I'm expecting to at least like the new one. But if it's as good as others have said, that would be welcomed.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

I was actually more shocked that Vinnie Vincent showed up, more than his actual personnel appearance.
It must have taken a lot of balls to make his first public appearance (in 20 years) in this guise.
Good on him anyway, he seems to have put his troubles behind him.
His performance of the two acoustic songs (A Million To One and Back On The Streets) also sounded pretty good.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: FB
Surprise! Jaded Heart's new album "Devil's Gift" will hit the stores on March 30, 2018!

Thomas Ewerhard Artwork is responsible for the cover artwork, that will delight fans of clowns and challenge those suffering from coulrophobia.

Erik Mårtensson took care of the album's mix and mastering at Mass Destruction Production.

Jaded Heart's new album "Devil's Gift" will also be available as limited edition digipak with exclusive bonus tracks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Is it better than the last couple?  They have been pretty shit IMO.

Offline Lowdz

I never gave the last few much of a go and tbh I never gave anything after Goodnight LA much of a go. All I can say is it was a good listen. They are never going to achieve the greatness of CTD to WoH, but I l8ked it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I never gave the last few much of a go and tbh I never gave anything after Goodnight LA much of a go. All I can say is it was a good listen. They are never going to achieve the greatness of CTD to WoH, but I l8ked it.

I've followed them up to now so I'll definitely give it a spin.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
hey guys, so I mentioned a while back that I had been laid off from work.  Since the guys hanging out in this thread are most of the ones I interact with on a regular basis, thought I would just post the update here.

Back in September I was laid off as part of a pretty significant action by my former employer (of 16 years) to cut costs.  I was actually working from home that day and got the call from my manager and HR while I was wearing a t-shirt with my company's logo on the front.  I felt like the kid hearing his favorite player had been traded while wearing that player's jersey.  The company had been going through a slight rough patch, but this was a huge shock to say the least.

But by the end of that same day I was pretty much over it.  My manager, while great to work for at the beginning, had taken on additional responsibilities and was becoming someone that I gradually started to dislike.  Also, the overall situation for advancement and opportunity at the company was not very good.  It is a foreign company albeit with a significant presence in the US.  For upper finance management positions in the US, the company rotates in people from its home country for experience then ships them elsewhere in the world.  Unfortunately what happens is that lower and middle management folks from the US never move up, so they never go anywhere creating a logjam at the bottom and much stagnation.  I remember at one point a couple of years ago they told us that we shouldn't look at career advancement as moving up the chain but more as moving laterally and learning new jobs.  I probably should have been looking for something outside the company sooner but I was loyal to the company (my how short-sighted that was . . .) and I was really good at what I did, so that was at least fulfilling to a point.  They just decided I was too expensive I suppose.

So, I am laid off.  Time for a job search.  I live near a major metropolitan area, lots of companies big and small, major corporate headquarters, etc.  Should be easy for someone with a great deal of finance experience, management experience, several years as a senior analyst, etc, right?  It was not.  To say it has been an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement.  I went through days where things looked promising only to have things fall through followed by days/weeks of nothing going on despite me applying for positions right and left.  I learned that if you don't know someone at a company, they aren't going to talk to you.  Applying online is like sending your resume into a black hole.  I had a couple of really low points where I was wondering if I would land anything, would we have to sell the house, be able to have Christmas for the kids etc.  One was in mid-November and the other was the week before Christmas (not a great time to be miserable).  Luckily, I received a call from one company at 5 PM the Friday before Christmas, asking me to interview in early January.  Then the very next morning I received an email from someone at a different company asking to schedule an interview as well.  I'm so thankful those two things happened as I'm sure I would have been a complete mess through the holidays.  But now I had hope.  That second company just happened to be my A#1 first choice to work for (I actually already had two interviews with this company for other positions, but they both went to internal candidates).

So January rolls around and I have my interviews, both of which went well.  Then the hard part comes.  The waiting.  Will I get a callback?  Will it be good news?  How long is it going to take?  Fast forward to Friday morning and I get call from A#1 company.  They are offering me a job that sounds fantastic.  I can't wait to get started and kick some ass.

Long story short, fuck my former employer and I am very excited to be starting my new role at the new company.  Oh and my commute is now less than 5 minutes.

I know this is the classic hard rock/metal thread, but I'm gonna draw on one of my favorite 90s R&B songs to describe how I'm feeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck, Return of the Mac is one of my favourite 90's songs!!!  :metal

Anyway Jon,  I'm really glad you've found something and hopefully it works out for you, I'm sure it will be worth the wait and agony you've been through.  Even though I don't know what's it's like to lose a job, I can say too that being loyal seems to just bite you in the ass.  You dedicate you heart and soul to your profession and the company you work for only for them to shit on you the first chance they get.  I'm not in danger of redundancy but have felt this in ways.  I couldn't imagine what it must have been like during that time, and I'm sure Chad can certainly relate. 

Head up mate, the metal spirit has risen again and rock on!!  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to hear Jon  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

Good when everything turns out right. Good luck at your new job.  :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Good luck dude!!

But what in the blue hell is this noise called R&B.  Doesn't compute.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
and I'm sure Chad can certainly relate. 

Boy ain't that the truth!

I learned that if you don't know someone at a company, they aren't going to talk to you.  Applying online is like sending your resume into a black hole. 

Boy ain't that the truth!  Protip if anyone else here ever has to do a job search... it's who you know that is often the #1 driver.  I could relate a dozen stories of things that happened during my search which were wtf moments in this regard.

Jon... super glad (and relieved for you) that things are looking up.  I'd been meaning to ping you about this again, but was afraid of what the response might be.  I know all about being in a low moment.  I never really had any with my job search, but I've certainly had my struggles with depression over the years.

Offline Lowdz

Great news after a pretty shitty time. Best of luck.

There’s no loyalty in business anymore so fuck em and think of no 1.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

I know, right!?  That track was basically the soundtrack for my freshman year of college and the following summer.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

I know, right!?  That track was basically the soundtrack for my freshman year of college and the following summer.

Damn good song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It's just a killer tune all round.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm struggling with the squeaky voice  :)

I can honestly say that I have never heard that song or heard of that artist.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It was a pretty big 90's hit, but not a massive Spice Girls/Oasis type hit.  It was his only song, well only hit.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm with Brent.  I tried twice to let it play.  Couldn't do it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
KK Downing obviously speaks the DTF hard rock club language.

On Dave Holland: "Dave was a solid friend in life and solid musician both on the stage and in the studio"  Yeah nice KK.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

Can’t say I can mourn for a convicted child abuser. A disabled child at that.