Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896625 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
*re-enters thread*
*reads the last two posts*
*closes thread*
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What?  :lol

Let's make a Saxon setlist based on their EVEN numbered albums. Time LIMIT is 4 hours. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What?  :lol

Let's make a Saxon setlist based on their EVEN numbered albums. Time LIMIT is 4 hours.

Are you okay Tim?

You know, I probably couldn't do that accurately because I'm 100% familiar with everything Saxon from Killing Ground forward but there is a lot of the older stuff I still don't really know.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Are you okay Tim?

:lol

Just pulling a Chaossystem.. Every time he started a new setlist thread I literally wanted to reach into the computer and punch him. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Are you okay Tim?

:lol

Just pulling a Chaossystem.. Every time he started a new setlist thread I literally wanted to reach into the computer and punch him. :lol

:rollin  Of course.  I'm with you now, what you and Brent were on about totally didn't click, duh!  :facepalm:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice WORK Tim.    :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Happy Birthday Cozy Powell. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o1URvOH0DU

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Such an amazing drummer. RIP.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
All the best for 2018 guys - we're approaching mid afternoon here on NYE so I'm not all that early.   

This week I have discovered another 25 albums that I missed for 2017  ::)  - anything found after this very second is considered 2018 :lol

Chad has posted a few nice 2017 releases in the album thread in recent days.

Ben also wished everyone a "rocking 2018"

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I try to do my part.  I think it would take the collective lot of me, TAC, Lowdz, and Kade to keep up with you.  I'd include JJ, but he just rotates the same 60 or 70 albums in and out of his CD player - he hasn't discovered anything new since Bush was President and Chretien was PM! :lol

Ya know, it's kinda cool that we've got 250+ pages here, but it's pretty much just 7 or 8 guys that hang in this thread.  :jingleboy:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I try to do my part.  I think it would take the collective lot of me, TAC, Lowdz, and Kade to keep up with you.  I'd include JJ, but he just rotates the same 60 or 70 albums in and out of his CD player - he hasn't discovered anything new since Bush was President and Chretien was PM! :lol

Ya know, it's kinda cool that we've got 250+ pages here, but it's pretty much just 7 or 8 guys that hang in this thread.  :jingleboy:

lol

That's very true about rotating the same cd's over and over and not discovering anything new.  That's the way I like it, but it's 1000 cds, so there is still some variety.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And I just did a quick glance, but it looks like The Official Hard Rock/Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread just might be in the lead for most pages in the General Music section at 254 pages!!!  Congrats boys.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's very true about rotating the same cd's over and over and not discovering anything new.  That's the way I like it, but it's 1000 cds, so there is still some variety.

1000 "Best Of" CD! :lol

And it's cool that everyone has Green status. Says a lot about the guys here.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh by the way, today in Winnipeg it was -34 celsius, or -29 Fahrenheit.  With the wind chill it was -45 celsius or -49 Fahrenheit.

Can the Aussie boys even comprehend those temperatures lol

There is no question I can handle cold weather better than anyone on this forum, but even I will say that today was beyond insanity.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
No I cannot comprehend those temps at all Jay..........I have barely felt any negative celsius temps in my life.    No doubt the extremes we get are more at the other end , my hottest being (in my home town) around 49 degrees celsius (120 F) with 100km/h winds from the desert making it feel much hotter than that.

We certainly get some variety in Melbourne - known for our "4 seasons in one day".   We are all over the place at the moment -heatwave one minute , cold (20C) and flooding the next.   Ben and I got flooded/evacuated out of bloody Star Wars a couple of weeks ago :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

lol

And every fucking one rocks! 1000 rocking cd's works for me  :metal

And I just did a quick glance, but it looks like The Official Hard Rock/Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread just might be in the lead for most pages in the General Music section at 254 pages!!!  Congrats boys.

:metal

Oh by the way, today in Winnipeg it was -34 celsius, or -29 Fahrenheit.  With the wind chill it was -45 celsius or -49 Fahrenheit.

Can the Aussie boys even comprehend those temperatures lol

There is no question I can handle cold weather better than anyone on this forum, but even I will say that today was beyond insanity.

In Brisbane in the middle of winter the lowedt we get is like 4 or 5 degrees celcius which is nothing. I pretty much wear shorts all year. The last couple of days here has been about 35 degrees, very warm.

Happy New Years fellas!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
All the best for 2018 guys - we're approaching mid afternoon here on NYE so I'm not all that early.   

This week I have discovered another 25 albums that I missed for 2017  ::)  - anything found after this very second is considered 2018 :lol

Ben also wished everyone a "rocking 2018"

Happy New Years to you and Ben Brent.

And 25 albums in a week??  :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Im at my gf's this weekend but i went to the city this weekend and did a bit of a random haul at the second hand record exchange which i will share tomorrow night when im home. Havent stepped foot in there for a good few years.  I took a punt on pretty much all these but some of the bands have been brought to my attention to you guys on here. Im hoping i havent wasted my cash, but been a while since my last solid haul so it was fun nevertheless. Tune in tomorrow to find out what i got. Dont expect anything too exciting though.  :rollin

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
^ Coolio.  Lookin forward to it.

Jay... sometimes I wish I could limit my music exploration.  In my teens and 20s, I *knew* all my music.  I would spend time with the lyric sheets, and really spend a lot of time with a limited number of bands and albums.  Now, I've turned into a complete whore, and will try pretty much any prog or metal album.  It was really bad a couple of years ago... now I limit myself to about 2-3 tracks on an album, and if I'm not wow'd, it gets shelved.  Sometimes, I wish I could stop, and just spend time with the music that is in my library.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Happy New Years boys!!

Offline Lowdz

Jay... sometimes I wish I could limit my music exploration.  In my teens and 20s, I *knew* all my music.  I would spend time with the lyric sheets, and really spend a lot of time with a limited number of bands and albums.  Now, I've turned into a complete whore, and will try pretty much any prog or metal album.  It was really bad a couple of years ago... now I limit myself to about 2-3 tracks on an album, and if I'm not wow'd, it gets shelved.  Sometimes, I wish I could stop, and just spend time with the music that is in my library.

I was the same. Back then you could do it. At best there would be 4-5 releases a week I’d want to get. Now there’s hundreds. Anyone can make an album in their bedroom these days and it shows. If I had any patience I’d have a go.

It’s needle in a haystack to find anything worth putting time and effort into. Plus, there isn’t 5he pressure of having already spent money on something before trying it and it makes it too easy to shelve stuff that doesn’t jump out.

There were several very good albums in 2017 but I’m not sure there’s much that will become classic chez Lowdz.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I was the same. Back then you could do it. At best there would be 4-5 releases a week I’d want to get. Now there’s hundreds. Anyone can make an album in their bedroom these days and it shows. If I had any patience I’d have a go.

It’s needle in a haystack to find anything worth putting time and effort into. Plus, there isn’t 5he pressure of having already spent money on something before trying it and it makes it too easy to shelve stuff that doesn’t jump out.

There were several very good albums in 2017 but I’m not sure there’s much that will become classic chez Lowdz.

Agree with all that.    Because I spend so long at home in front of a PC (and have that stubborn streak when it comes to a huge challenge in an area I am passionate about) I figure that I have the best chance of any of us to find these needles and so I put in the huge amounts of time required to do a half decent job , but each year it seems to get harder and harder.   I am still not sure what I will do in 2018 -  if I attempt it again it'll possibly a be case of spending the first 6 months on classics + my huge list of titles I already know are a good shot and then (like this year) a big cram in the second half of the year on current year releases.

Life would be so much easier if I could just be content with the classics  :lol    There were so many more filters in place "back in the day" - if you were totally shit you normally would struggle to get a record deal , the good record stores would often filter out a lot of the crap and get in stuff that had some "buzz" amongst those in the know etc...

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:37:17 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Exactly. It’s not a good thing that any old thing gets put out there now. Labels were evil, but a necessary one to separate the worthy from the average. But we have you for that Brent and bless you for it pal  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Over the last 12 to 18 months I have become the exact opposite to be honest. For some reason i have lost interest in discovering new stuff because everything pretty much leaves me saying 'meh.' So I gotta say, Im expecting some big things from you guys in my roulette in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:11:58 PM by wolfking »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Challenge accepted.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So my little random off the cuff haul consists of;

Altaria - Divintity
Altaria - Invitation
Balance of Power - Heathenology (2CD/DVD)
Ian Parry's Consortium Project - Self titled
Elegy - Lost
Elegy - State of Mind
Steel Prophet - Dark Hallucinations
Tad Morose - Undead
DGM - Synthesis (CD/DVD)
Eluveitie - Origins
Black Sabbath - The End DVD

Altaria is Jani Liimatainen's old band so took a punt there.  Elegy obviously Brent got me going on then and cool to get both one of the older albums and the Ian Parry albums. CP I know Chad loves and I do have one of their albums already but didn't do much for me at the time so I just thought why not.

The Eluveitie is not for you guys but absolutely loved the song Tim was sent in his roulette which made me want to get the album just for that.  Balance of Power Jon sent me one of their tracks in my roulette which was a ripper.  Tad Morose I think I remember Brent playing one of their tracks in one of his podcasts which I thought was quite good.  has Urban Breed who I never heard of before Brent brought him up in here so thought it's worth a shot.  DGM I don't know any of their old stuff so this DVD and CD best of is a perfect way to help rectify that.  Steel Prophet I have no idea who they are but they looked metal so took a big punt.

Will take me a while to get through these as time is tight.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I don't know that Eluveitie album but I have a couple of their others. Good stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
CP I know Chad loves and I do have one of their albums already but didn't do much for me at the time so I just thought why not.

Steel Prophet I have no idea who they are but they looked metal so took a big punt.

The 1st Consortium Project album is pretty good (has Stephen Lill on guitars for several tracks), but albums 4 and 5 in the pentalogy are where it's at for me.  I took a flyer on a Steel Prophet album once too (Book of the Dead).  Not bad, but wasn't all that memorable.  I'd be interested to hear your opinion on this one.  Same with the Synthesis DVD... I've had that on my 'do want' list for a while.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
CP I know Chad loves and I do have one of their albums already but didn't do much for me at the time so I just thought why not.

Steel Prophet I have no idea who they are but they looked metal so took a big punt.

The 1st Consortium Project album is pretty good (has Stephen Lill on guitars for several tracks), but albums 4 and 5 in the pentalogy are where it's at for me.  I took a flyer on a Steel Prophet album once too (Book of the Dead).  Not bad, but wasn't all that memorable.  I'd be interested to hear your opinion on this one.  Same with the Synthesis DVD... I've had that on my 'do want' list for a while.

Just googled the other CP album I have and it's number 3.  Saw Lill features heavily on this first one, which is good.  Funny you mention both the Steel Prophet and the DGM, as the guy chucked them both in for free so no loss.  It was like a buy 3 get one free deal or something so those two and another cost nothing so all good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm about three songs into the Lost from Elegy and I'm really liking this band.

Offline Lowdz

Altaria is have some good stuff but are very hit and miss. Same with Consortium Project.

I bought Book of the Dead by a Steel Prophet too and had 5he same opinion as chad. Couldn’t tell you anything about it.

DGM are pretty good.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Just googled the other CP album I have and it's number 3. 

I remember that #3 was the one you had, and thus wasn't surprised you were luke-warm on it/them.  That one is my least fave of the pentalogy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just googled the other CP album I have and it's number 3. 

I remember that #3 was the one you had, and thus wasn't surprised you were luke-warm on it/them.  That one is my least fave of the pentalogy.

Hopefully this debut that I got can breathe some new life into it for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This State of Mind from Elegy is pretty enjoyable too.  The production is pretty muddy but I'm digging it.