Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901615 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh. So bad..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I am about to listen to Europe's new one now - probably the first of theirs I will listen to in full since their reformation.  Haven't wanted to risk it until now but I suppose I better do a bit of listening if they're touring.   What I have heard of their new style really hasn't interested me much but the title track of the new sounds decent so we'll see.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I am about to listen to Europe's new one now - probably the first of theirs I will listen to in full since their reformation.  Haven't wanted to risk it until now but I suppose I better do a bit of listening if they're touring.   What I have heard of their new style really hasn't interested me much but the title track of the new sounds decent so we'll see.

decent or solid?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

decent or solid?

Better than expected and I'll give it a "very good."   :)   I thought there were 2 or 3 standout tracks and at its worst it's solid.   I haven't been a huge fan of their new Purple/Zep influenced style but , unlike a lot of the old bands,  you can tell that they are taking some time and at least trying hard to write some songs that have substance.  Sometimes it works better than others but I found it quite a good listen. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

It’s good. I prefer the last one though. Give that try Brent.

Joeys voice has lost its magic though. Understandable I guess. It’s by no means bad but the warmth has gone.

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/0hx5ebA-Wn0

New Seventh Wonder concept album. Sounds good from the short clips.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I am about to listen to Europe's new one now - probably the first of theirs I will listen to in full since their reformation.   

I wasn't aware they broke up. I figured I'd check this since you guys are talking about it. Just the first three songs so far, it is Deep Purple influenced for sure. The verse to Kingdom United is totally Gillan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And we might need to fly you out mate because there's rumours about that Winger could be support.  :metal

If that's the case, I might just go for Winger.  I'm tired of Europe's snoozefests lately.  The Purple/Zep thing is so old. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Powermad was very good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Dave Ureck? was nice, really nice.

The Urgent was amazing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

The Urgent was amazing.

Cheers Kade.   Now that most are a fair way in I will get a link happening for a tracklist with all the details.

Spelling = Dave Uhrich.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Yxk6h_-Hg

The first comment:
"The janitors found the music room."

:rollin

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

The first comment:

They sound like a lower level Anvil.  Actually I would still take this any day over a growlie band (sorry Wolf)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

The first comment:

They should use the vac/blower from the Chat thread on their next album cover Tim - they suck AND they blow
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:38:46 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The Urgent was amazing.

Cheers Kade.   Now that most are a fair way in I will get a link happening for a tracklist with all the details.

Spelling = Dave Uhrich.

Yeah mate, post away.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Tracklist here (also added to OP) :  https://yadi.sk/d/WCXdPt-P3Nximk

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Listened to the Sweet Lynch. First song was ok then it became very shit.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was tempted to buy the first Sweet Lynch but didn't bother.  I definitely won't bother with the second one.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Listened to the Sweet Lynch. First song was ok then it became very shit.

It was better than I expected.  I expected crap (based on what I had been told) and thought it was solid .  Solid crap?  ;D

Not going to make any Best Of list but I thought there were 2 or 3 very good tracks on it and the rest I found quite listenable.   I actually preferred it to the new PC69 which was easy to tap your foot to but entirely predictable whereas Lynch is never entirely predictable (both good and bad :lol )

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Saxon - Thunderbolt - 2nd Feb

01. Olympus Rising
02. Thunderbolt
03. The Secret Of Flight
04. Nosferatu (The Vampires Waltz)
05. They Played Rock And Roll
06. Predator
07. Sons Of Odin
08. Sniper
09. A Wizard's Tale
10. Speed Merchants
11. Roadie's Song
12. Nosferatu (Raw Version) (not available on vinyl)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yhdNt0qA-A

Oh my...

Only watched a minute, but Ozzy sounds.....um...great...... :|

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
No wimpy sounding song titles on that new Saxon that's for sure. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Hell yeah, really looking forward to this one.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol  No kidding, right?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thunderbolt is just a badass perfect Saxon album title!!   :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm pretty sure Saxon owns the record for coolest album titles! :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Great Vanden Plas track Chad.  Colour Temple is such a wonderful debut album, one of the strongest from any prog band I reckon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wish I could have placed a bet on which Virgin Steele song you were going to play Brent.  :tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wish I could have placed a bet on which Virgin Steele song you were going to play Brent.  :tup

:)

One of only a few songs I have repeated on the podcast.  And deservedly so  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:)

One of only a few songs I have repeated on the podcast.  And deservedly so  :metal

It's glorious!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
From the OP:

PODCASTS: (note : the sound improved dramatically from around #4 or 5 onward. I hope to find time to go back and "remaster" #1-3/4)

The Ben & Brent Remasters! :metal :metal

Hopefully will contain bloopers!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, sorry I haven't commented on the podcast lately. I'm just about up to the rareties. I d'loaded the tracklist to follow along.
I have three hours in a waiting room this morning, so I'm podcasting!

UFO, Waysted?

Winger??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
For the record, I think Making Contact is just OK. They really missed Pete Way on it, and it's quite scattered.

When It's Time To Rock is decent enough. The production on this album kills the energy, but I love the instrumental part. One of my favorite Chapman moments. Cool solo in the outro.

I rate Making Contact in the lower half.