Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 904201 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll be interested to see what you think of the PC69 Kade.   It's not awful or anything but it just sounds like it was written in a week.  I suppose when all these guys are spread over multiple projects and the albums ain't where the money is then it's no surprised a lot of releases sound rushed.

All the best material I am finding is from bands who aren't existing favourites.

Yeah mate, I'll have a listen when I can.  I didn't mind the last one cause it was a bit different, it had more of an alternate sound at times but I liked some of the songwriting.  To me there seemed to be a bit of thought into the songs.

Oh, insane PF song.  I still can't believe to this day that it's a bonus track.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Anyway, have some new shitty Geoff Tate everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZK3OXpOXKI

This certainly doesn't pass the Jason test.

I just can't believe that grown men, so called professional musicians, that's what they came up with. It's nothing a handful of 12 year olds couldn't write in their mother's basement.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I just can't believe that grown men, so called professional musicians, that's what they came up with. It's nothing a handful of 12 year olds couldn't write in their mother's basement.

I'm sorry, can someone please explain why any one of us would waste even 10 seconds on Tater?  It's not like you need to take one for the team, we all know it's gonna be shyte.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I haven't listened to anything he's done in years, including the last QR album, but based on some recent live reviews he'd been getting, I clicked the link yesterday. I literally didn't make it past the 30 second mark.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
... It's not awful or anything but it just sounds like it was written in a week.  I suppose when all these guys are spread over multiple projects and the albums ain't where the money is then it's no surprised a lot of releases sound rushed.

This is true for other bands as well *cough*sonsofapollo*cough*. If you aren't a jam band, take your time and work your music out, the results will almost always be better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That Tate song was terrible.  Not at the shit barometer level of The Stranger, but still at a very high shit level.

Offline Lowdz

I took the last one for the team. Not going t9 bother with that one.

Anyone heard the Midnite City s/t? It’s on Spotify. Quite good. Very Danger Danger/Crazy Lixx. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Anyone heard the Midnite City s/t? It’s on Spotify. Quite good. Very Danger Danger/Crazy Lixx.

I've had it saved in the "Lowdz recc'n" folder for a while.  Still haven't gotten to it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm sorry, can someone please explain why any one of us would waste even 10 seconds on Tater?  It's not like you need to take one for the team, we all know it's gonna be shyte.

It's still interesting to hear what he comes out with IMO.  I think we know it's gonna be crap but it's worth it for a laugh.

That Tate song was terrible.  Not at the shit barometer level of The Stranger, but still at a very high shit level.

Could have bet my life savings that your comment on this would have involved 'The Stranger' J.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I am currently running through a list of about fifty 2017 new releases and that's in it.  I will operate on the rule of "if you don't have something nice to say........."  ;D  Hopefully I'll have something to say.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I am currently running through a list of about fifty 2017 new releases and that's in it.  I will operate on the rule of "if you don't have something nice to say........."  ;D  Hopefully I'll have something to say.

This must be my fault.  ;D But no, no Brent, tell us what's shit, if you are taking hits for the team, we need to know about it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

This must be my fault.  ;D But no, no Brent, tell us what's shit, if you are taking hits for the team, we need to know about it.

Maybe not your "fault" but once I had a think about it ...........I am as sick of saying the same thing about all these releases as you are hearing it  :lol     Your comment didn't bother me.

I don't want to put people off listening to new releases from established bands as - using PC69's last one as an example- our tastes , while usually very similar, can diverge at times.

The new PC 69 I rated 78% - in my mind that ain't "shit" - just a meh album I won't return to aside from maybe one song.

I'll look forward to hopefully highlighting some unknown 2017 releases that are better.  Have to put my money where my mouth is now  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Can't wait to hear your best of 2017 Brent. Expecting some Cellador, which I'm sure will get the Seven Sisters treatment! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't wait to hear your best of 2017 Brent. Expecting some Cellador, which I'm sure will get the Seven Sisters treatment! :lol

I will play that as a request from one of our most valued listeners  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Maybe not your "fault" but once I had a think about it ...........I am as sick of saying the same thing about all these releases as you are hearing it  :lol     Your comment didn't bother me.

I don't want to put people off listening to new releases from established bands as - using PC69's last one as an example- our tastes , while usually very similar, can diverge at times.

The new PC 69 I rated 78% - in my mind that ain't "shit" - just a meh album I won't return to aside from maybe one song.

I'll look forward to hopefully highlighting some unknown 2017 releases that are better.  Have to put my money where my mouth is now  ;D

Yes, but when releases fall into this category more and more, this is the truth Brent.  Even though yes, we should form our own opinions, all of us are familiar enough to know and pretty much be on the same page.  I'll listen to the new PC69 regardless cause I liked the last one.  There's no way I wouldn't listen to it cause of your comments either mate.  :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Victory .... highly enjoyable

goodness, I thought I was listening to Tom Sawyer at first with that intro
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Classic Ozzy and Accept in there.

Interesting track pick from the Ferrymen Brent, it's definitely a good one though.

The Leatherheart was excellent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://bravewords.com/news/empyrean-throne-announce-u-s-dates-with-wolf-king

Kade, WTF? No East Coast dates? I was looking forward to seeing you in Boston!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://bravewords.com/news/empyrean-throne-announce-u-s-dates-with-wolf-king

Kade, WTF? No East Coast dates? I was looking forward to seeing you in Boston!

WTF?  Who are these imposters!!?  And I wasn't even asked to be one of their guitarists.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That Annihilator was quite alright, but really tried to do a solo Halford/Dickinson clone type thing there.  I have a few of their albums and nothing really grabs me even though everything is decent sounding enough.  Agree with you Brent that Waters is such an underrated shredder.

One of my favs is the solo he did on the Roadrunner united track;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbZUetnCbDU

Tasty.

Online Kwyjibo

Jeff Waters is a great and probably underrated guitar player, he's got the riffs, he can shred and he can play decent solos.

But he's not the greatest of song-writers, what I know of Annihilator is a bit sketchy and some of the vocalists he had weren't the best either.

Offline Lowdz

I’ll cert give the PC69 a listen. I’ve played some of the back catalogue recently in anticipation but maybe that’s not a good idea as it has certainly raised expectation. They are a grea5 band when on song but their early stuff didn’t do it for me and I’m only a fan following David Readman joining.
Just not a fan of Deris.

Online Kwyjibo

I still think Games People Play is their best record, but overall the Readmen era is much better.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Jeff Waters is a great and probably underrated guitar player, he's got the riffs, he can shred and he can play decent solos.

But he's not the greatest of song-writers, what I know of Annihilator is a bit sketchy and some of the vocalists he had weren't the best either.

A lot of people like Alice In Hell , but to me the two classics are Never Neverland and (the more melodic metal of) Set The World On Fire.  That was when Jeff was really focused and writing well.  Since then, very patchy.

Ditto for PC 69 and Electrified/Sonic Dynamite era.   I also like plenty of the Deris era but after Sonic Dynamite they had the very rushed/patchy Endangered , returned to form somewhat with Thunderdome but I have been a lot less interested in new material since.  I would equate the most recent release with Endangered in terms of my level of enjoyment.  Not awful but very little I need to hear again.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Yeah Endangered was a real drop off after the previous two. Thunderdome is their best for me.

Never really rated Annihilator. Alice is ok but they don’t really d9 it for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of Annihilator, I don't know all their stuff but one album for some reason I always gravitated too was Refresh the Demon.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I only know the song Allison Hell and it's a pretty good track. Ripper Owens actually did a fantastic job singing it on a Roadrunner show a few years back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I only know the song Allison Hell and it's a pretty good track. Ripper Owens actually did a fantastic job singing it on a Roadrunner show a few years back.

Ripper's version of Abigail on that DVD is incredible.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Ripper's version of Abigail on that DVD is incredible.

I agree!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
big fan of that Wall of Silence album.  The title track is great.

The W.A.S.P. and Waysted tracks were awesome.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
https://bravewords.com/news/sweet-lynch-debut-walk-music-video

I don't know how I feel about this. Was their first album any good?

Damn, Michael Sweet has some pipes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Deja vu Tim   ;D

The Alice Cooper/Ace Frehley show from Sydney is on Dime. I was looking at Ace's setlist:
01. Intro: Fractured Mirror
02. Parasite
03. Hard Times
04. 2000 Man
05. Rip It Out
06. Love Gun
07. Rocket Ride
08. Bass Solo
09. Strange Ways
10. Talk to Me
11. New York Groove
12. Shock Me
13. Ace Frehley Guitar Solo
14. Detroit Rock City
15. Deuce

I must say, that is one great setlist. Hard Times AND Strange Ways??  :metal

That is a good set assuming he performed it half decently :lol

Speaking of Australia it seems we are getting a tour from Europe.   I was huge into them back in the day but not sure I want to hear all their Deep Zeppelin material and all the old stuff tuned down an octave :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I missed that. I've been getting attacked in like three threads for what seems like a number of days. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Might be a few MILFS at the Europe gig Tim  ;D

And we might need to fly you out mate because there's rumours about that Winger could be support.  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au