Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 905869 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea about American band coastal geography  ;D   Kerns is Canadian and perhaps has less of a gig after the GnR reunion.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OH, OK, if kerns is Canadian, then that definitely qualifies.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Billy Sheehan?  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Podcast downloaded.

Will have to listen to about an hour a night at the moment.  Won't have anymore time than that.  Looking foward to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, checked up on Lomenzo. Seems he was born in NYC. Also recently tweeted a Sweet/Lynch thingy.
You could be right.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of Todd Kerns, does anyone even remotely remember his late 90's band, Age of Electric.  In 1997 and 1998 they were huge in Canada, then disappeared.  I wasn't a major fan, but they were a good band similar to I Mother Earth, Our Lady Peace, Tea Party and Moist.  They were just as popular as those other bands.

But I know it's deceiving, but in Canada, all of those bands were played non stop on Much Music and on the radio.  It gives you the sense that they are just mega bands, but then you realize it doesn't translate outside of Canada and they weren't nearly as big as the appeared to be.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Moist??  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

They were huge in Canada

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Chadster will know what I'm talking about

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The Chadster will know what I'm talking about

Sadly, I do.  But, late 90s was not a good radio time for me.

As for Canadian popularity, a lot of these bands can thank the CRTC's 30% Can-Con (Canadian Content) minimum for radio (and TV) broadcasters.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Our Lady Pearce and I Mother Earth got Moist at The Tea Party in Canada ?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

All because of the Barenaked Ladies.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

All because of the Barenaked Ladies.

It's all because they drank too much Econoline Crush and became a Big Wreck as a result.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck I love the Tea Party.  They make me moist as fuck.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
WARNING:To anyone just popping into this thread and reading the above post for the first time. Do not read it out of context. Please scroll up nine posts to jjrock88 and then continue from there. You will save yourself much shock and dismay.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Thoughts on listening session #2 (I'm now up to the 4:20 mark... still a couple more hours to go!)

Urgent ... kinda fluffy (surely Tim will/did hate it), but fairly enjoyable
UDO... I'm not much of a fan of his warbly voice/style - I can take it in moderation, but this is probably the reason I'm not eager to go and listen thru the Accept back catalogue - but the music more than compensated for it
Ugly Kid Joe... This was beyond cheesy.  The only good thing they ever did was the cover of Cats in the Cradle.
Universe ... pretty bland and uneventful
Unruly Child... nothing spectacular, but it was a step above "solid".
Vain... very nice tune
Vanden Plas ... rocks as usual.  I don't spin their earlier material often, but it's excellent.  I forgot how un-proggy their early stuff was.  When you said "Vanden Plas", I was like... 'when the fuck did you play Vanden Plas'.  Sounds virtually nothing like their current music.
Velocity .... dug it big time.  Always loved Pat Torpey's work with Mr. Big.  Great vox too (as you said they would be)
Victory .... highly enjoyable
Villain .... meh.
Vinnie Vincent ... fail (on you of not being a fan).  All win to the song.  I too enjoy the 2nd album better (like Slaughter's vox more than Fleischman's), but the debut is still awesome
Virgin Steele.... Passes the JJ test - considering he gave me this exact song in one of my roulettes!
Vixen.... this song tries to be "solid", but falls a tad short.
Voice ... killer opening riff!  This is worth checking out further.
Von Groove... I remember you pimping them (didn't they make your Top50?).  Fluffy as shit melodic rock, but I loved it.  Kinda gave me a Danger Danger feel.  Surely won't pass the TAC-test - not sure if it'll be a "suck" or "blow".  I ended up purchasing this album after you first put me on to them.
Voodoo X ... great acoustic start, killer overall tune.
W.A.S.P. ... there aren't enough thanks for me to give to Kade for submitting them to me in the last roulette.  :hefdaddy:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apparently the new Stryper bassist is the guy from Firehouse.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Apparently the new Stryper bassist is the guy from Firehouse.

I thought it was suppose to be a well known guy?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
W.A.S.P. ... there aren't enough thanks for me to give to Kade for submitting them to me in the last roulette.  :hefdaddy:

Offline Lowdz

Better late than never Chad.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thoughts on listening session #2 (I'm now up to the 4:20 mark... still a couple more hours to go!)

Urgent ... kinda fluffy (surely Tim will/did hate it), but fairly enjoyable
UDO... I'm not much of a fan of his warbly voice/style - I can take it in moderation, but this is probably the reason I'm not eager to go and listen thru the Accept back catalogue - but the music more than compensated for it
Ugly Kid Joe... This was beyond cheesy.  The only good thing they ever did was the cover of Cats in the Cradle.
Universe ... pretty bland and uneventful
Unruly Child... nothing spectacular, but it was a step above "solid".
Vain... very nice tune
Vanden Plas ... rocks as usual.  I don't spin their earlier material often, but it's excellent.  I forgot how un-proggy their early stuff was.  When you said "Vanden Plas", I was like... 'when the fuck did you play Vanden Plas'.  Sounds virtually nothing like their current music.
Velocity .... dug it big time.  Always loved Pat Torpey's work with Mr. Big.  Great vox too (as you said they would be)
Victory .... highly enjoyable
Villain .... meh.
Vinnie Vincent ... fail (on you of not being a fan).  All win to the song.  I too enjoy the 2nd album better (like Slaughter's vox more than Fleischman's), but the debut is still awesome
Virgin Steele.... Passes the JJ test - considering he gave me this exact song in one of my roulettes!
Vixen.... this song tries to be "solid", but falls a tad short.
Voice ... killer opening riff!  This is worth checking out further.
Von Groove... I remember you pimping them (didn't they make your Top50?).  Fluffy as shit melodic rock, but I loved it.  Kinda gave me a Danger Danger feel.  Surely won't pass the TAC-test - not sure if it'll be a "suck" or "blow".  I ended up purchasing this album after you first put me on to them.
Voodoo X ... great acoustic start, killer overall tune.

Thanks Chad.

My goal with the rarities list is to expose everyone to the stuff that was considered quality rare/undiscovered stuff at the time so at least people can hear it and make a decision ...........some has aged well and some hasn't and your strike rate is about as expected. I do expect that a lot of the songs will be loved by some and hated by others and that's all part of catering to various tastes in the one show.   I also aimed with the "classics" to bring back some cool memories - both good and bad  ;D  I have never owned a single thing from Ugly Kid Joe but it's no doubt representative of the era .

Re VVI - when I say I was never a big fan back in the day it doesn't necessarily mean they didn't grow on me a bit later.  I rate All Systems Go reasonably highly.

All good feedback - thanks  :metal   Glad there were a few "finds."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:50:33 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Got through the first half hour of the podcast and will probably only be able to get around half hour a day.  That Anthrax reminded me why I wasn't that keen on their early stuff, for some reason, they just didn't really get me going at all.

That Dio song is one of my favs and I think I'd still rate Sacred Heart as my fav album from him.

Never been a huge Blackmore fan either.

Seventh Sign is the first Yngwie song I ever heard along with Never Die that my guitar teacher showed me.  Fucking blew me away, never heard anything like it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:01:22 PM by wolfking »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Alice Cooper/Ace Frehley show from Sydney is on Dime. I was looking at Ace's setlist:
01. Intro: Fractured Mirror
02. Parasite
03. Hard Times
04. 2000 Man
05. Rip It Out
06. Love Gun
07. Rocket Ride
08. Bass Solo
09. Strange Ways
10. Talk to Me
11. New York Groove
12. Shock Me
13. Ace Frehley Guitar Solo
14. Detroit Rock City
15. Deuce

I must say, that is one great setlist. Hard Times AND Strange Ways??  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That is a good set assuming he performed it half decently :lol

Speaking of Australia it seems we are getting a tour from Europe.   I was huge into them back in the day but not sure I want to hear all their Deep Zeppelin material and all the old stuff tuned down an octave :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I was a big fan of Ugly Kid Joe back then, out of curiosity, what song did you put in your podcast?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I was a big fan of Ugly Kid Joe back then, out of curiosity, what song did you put in your podcast?

Neighbour  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Funny little tune but they had better songs imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Funny little tune but they had better songs imo.

I'm sure they do.  I really only know that one , Cat's In The Cradle and Everything About You.  Didn't take the time to listen to the albums as they were more of an afterthought in terms of the popular bands that might bring a few memories back for people.

About to listen to the new PC69 - hopefully it's better than I'm expecting .
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:17:11 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I really enjoyed the last one.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Well I didn't like the last one at all and rated this one higher (78%)  ;D  To me it's real by the numbers stuff  -maybe one memorable track - and I love a lot of their early stuff .  I became a big fan during the Electrified and Sonic Dynamite era and also enjoy some of the Deris era stuff.

Hopefully the live album that came with it is worth a listen.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Well I didn't like the last one at all and rated this one higher (78%)  ;D  To me it's real by the numbers stuff and I love a lot of their early stuff .

Hopefully the live album that came with it is worth a listen.

Don't think we expected anything different Brent.  :tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What's that meant to mean - that I'm a grumpy old sod who doesn't like any new releases ?  :lol

You'll be surprised if I manage to put that Best of 2017 show together - there is some cool , half original metal out there but boy does it take some digging.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What's that meant to mean - that I'm a grumpy old sod who doesn't like any new releases ?  :lol

You'll be surprised if I manage to put that Best of 2017 show together - there is some cool , half original metal out there but boy does it take some digging.

I'm really looking forward to that mate.  Your rare shit is always hidden gold.

Yeah, admit my comment might have been a bit abrupt.  ;D

Anyway, have some new shitty Geoff Tate everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZK3OXpOXKI

This certainly doesn't pass the Jason test.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll be interested to see what you think of the PC69 Kade.   It's not awful or anything but it just sounds like it was written in a week.  I suppose when all these guys are spread over multiple projects and the albums ain't where the money is then it's no surprised a lot of releases sound rushed.

All the best material I am finding is from bands who aren't existing favourites. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au