Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906189 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Steelheart? Who's in the wrong thread now?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Most would consider them hard rock I am guessing.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Never really heard much from them myself.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The whole discussion of what bands are hard rock as compared to heavy metal or just classic rock, or just rock or hair metal or power metal or progressive metal is always interesting to me. 

I guess its all subjective but as long as it passes the Jason test, its guaranteed to rock!

For example, I've heard Rush classified as pretty much everything.  Same with Queensryche.  I guess I would classify Steelheart as hard rock and I thought they were ok, but I liked the singer better in Steel Dragon!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Speaking of things I won't be rushing back to.............just listening to the new Steelheart.    It's had some good reviews around the place but I am not getting it.   The ballads are clearly the best tracks.

I was considering sampling this one, but I'll just give Brent the 'thanks for taking one for the team' treatment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

I liked the songs they released. Although the sound was a bit too ‘modern ‘ (well late 90early 00s ) for me. Will give it a go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess its all subjective but as long as it passes the Jason test, its guaranteed to rock!

This is all that needs to be said.  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Ok... got almost 3 hrs of the podcast in, and here are my thoughts.

Anthrax - Never listened to Anthrax in the day.  I very much appreciated this tune ... I appreciated the reminder of why I didn't listen to these guys back in the day.  Well, at least there's nowhere to go but up from here! 
Testament .... never listened to Testament in the day.  This was a little more enjoyable.
Priest .... man I need to go back and discover these guys.  Though, it seems a lot of what I do end up playing is either hit, or miss.  This was a 'hit' (as was The Sentinel)
Nightcrawler ... couple of very nice tunes!
Primal Fear .... :metal
Accept ... another act just outside of my comfort zone back in the day, and I just don't have it in me to go and re-discover them.  Good stuff though.
Battle Beast ... pretty cool, though nothing I haven't heard
The Ferrymen... Top 20 album of the year for me so far.  Which *is* saying something since I've bought/Spotify saved about 50, and sampled another 50 or so.
Leather Heart - Paul just put me on to this album, which was Tony-the-Tiger GREAT!
Nautiluz ... totally digging this tune.  Very big Edguy vibe I'm getting here.
Pretty Maids... awesome (as should be expected)
Annihilator... this rocked hard.
Instrumental was VERY nice.  Lots of different things going on here.
Powermad ... certainly passes the "Jason test".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool Chad - and Anthrax doesn't surprise me :lol

Looking forward to seeing if you get a few good rare ones out of the U-Z's
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

This is all that needs to be said.  :metal

:metal :metal

Most would consider them hard rock I am guessing.

I've never heard a lick from them. I see the band name and cringe.

Anthrax - Never listened to Anthrax in the day.  I very much appreciated this tune ... I appreciated the reminder of why I didn't listen to these guys back in the day.  Well, at least there's nowhere to go but up from here! 
Persistence Of Time was a great album. Belly Of The Beast is probably the worst song on it.

As for the podcast, I'm only up through Primal Fear. Yes, the Nightcrawler tracks were cool. Musically and vocally, the ."..LA" song rocked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I will hopefully find some time this weekend to get into this podcast.  But what Chad listed, seems like a massive music win!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I've never heard a lick from them. I see the band name and cringe.

I think I will run with the Jason Test rather than whether the name bugs you without you listening to it :lol    Where was the dodgy name rule in your roulette?  ;D

Persistence Of Time was a great album. Belly Of The Beast is probably the worst song on it.

I'm the opposite - good song (albeit too long) on an okay album for mine.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Did Steelheart pass the Jason test?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If you don't know Steelheart Tim you might know this...........

https://youtu.be/00DkPyT2LiE?t=76

That's the guy (and original song was) from Steelheart.   He had one of the biggest vocal ranges in rock/metal.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

It did, but not by alot.  I only heard their debut record and its "solid"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Is it a false positive?

That's the guy (and original song was) from Steelheart.   He had one of the biggest vocal ranges in rock/metal.

He looks just like Mark Wahlberg.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I need a break  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Is it a false positive?

It's more of a true negative.

The over the top falsetto vocals never really did much for me.  I remember thinking the debut from Vinnie Vincent Invasion was just too much.  Steelheart wasn't to that extreme, but still nothing that I really want to listen to that much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I did a quick Spotify search on Steelheart. I recognize I'll Never Let You Go. That's the Angel Eyes song. That song blows. But yeah, that dude has some pipes.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
So I did a quick Spotify search on Steelheart. I recognize I'll Never Let You Go. That's the Angel Eyes song. That song blows. But yeah, that dude has some pipes.

I would love to see the track listing with the worst from Tim. 

"The best of song blows"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I would love to see the track listing with the worst from Tim. 

"The best of song blows"

It would be an awesome album  :lol     

We could do a double album - the Blows disc (careful) and the Sucks disc (even more careful :lol )

I agree that the vocals of guys like Mil from Steelheart , Slaughter , Fleischman  etc......are very love/hate.   What makes them amazing is that a lot of the real high stuff is NOT falsetto.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Is it a false positive?

Is this suppose to be funny Tim?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What? You don't think that's funny? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

You should be concerned that some around here are beginning to doubt whether your old fogey jokes are jokes or not  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ozzy554

I just saw some recent clips of Yngwie Malmsteen live and my god it was terrible.

First of all 95% percent of the stage belongs to Yngwie. The rest of the band is shoved into the far left of the stage. I guess he needs the extra room for his massive ego and fake amps. Even the biggest solo artists at least share the stage with the band, He's literally a few steps away from putting the entire band off stage behind a curtain.

The lead singing duties are shared between Yngwie himself and the keyboardist. The keyboardist isn't the greatest vocalist in the world but I guess it's better than Yngwie trying to sing Ill See the Light tonight himself.

Yngwie was also very sloppy at times. Like he's too busy prancing around the stage like a goofball trying to look cool rather than play correctly. When you're gimmick as a musician is being a really good guitar player maybe you should focus on that.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You should be concerned that some around here are beginning to doubt whether your old fogey jokes are jokes or not  :lol

Old Fogey Jokes?? :lol

It was either that or.."Hey that looks just like the girl on Friends.."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hi Ozzy - yes , it is a shame that Yngwie has become a parody of himself.  He was always an asshole but at least there was some substance to his music in the early days (a number of classic albums) and there was at least some attempt to pretend it was a band on stage...........at times :lol

Might go play the debut and Marching Out now - those albums take me back in a big way.

I haven't bought a Malmsteen album since Magnum Opus  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Last one I bought was Perpetual Flame, which I actually liked.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Last one I bought was Perpetual Flame, which I actually liked.

Thats a really good album.

But the debut and Marching Out are the defining Yngwie albums that I've heard.  The one thing that was weird is that the first time I ever heard Yngwie was on on VH1 with the video "I'll See the Light Tonight" and was floored by it.  But then soon realized that it was a different singer on the video than the song.  So I'm assuming JSS was canned even before Marching Out was released?

And in the video, Boals looks very similar to Quentin Tarantino

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I saw that tour and it was Mark Boals on stage.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yngwie was probably already thinking how he can fire Boals during the Marching Out tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The funny thing is, I thought for years that that was Jeff Scott Soto. :lol

I just assumed that was him. I only had that epiphany a couple of years ago.

Offline ozzy554

It's a shame that he drove Ripper Owens away. On paper he's a perfect fit for him. As much as I like Ripper he kinda lacks in the stage presence department, so Yngwie could easily still act like a frontman while still actually having a singer lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's a shame that he drove Ripper Owens away. On paper he's a perfect fit for him. As much as I like Ripper he kinda lacks in the stage presence department, so Yngwie could easily still act like a frontman while still actually having a singer lol

So, like it's always been?  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The decline of Yngwie is indeed sad.  It's unreal how he can be such an egotistical asshole.

The last one I bought was Relentless with Ripper.  I kept buying them and trying to tell myself he's still going just as good as he use to, but I came to my senses and realised he is just turned to shit.

I actually did pick up the last live CD/DVD but I regretted it, it sucks.