Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906315 times)

TAC and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
From what I have heard of this Soto/Portnoy thingy  ;)  .....................solid  ;D     The proggy sections mostly detract IMO.

Just read your comments on Sons of Apollo Kade.........I think we agree.

I think I've only heard 4 tracks, but yeah, pretty ordinary so far.  I will listen to the whole thing, but there's not much here I think that's worthwhile or interesting enough to keep spinning.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Scorps have a ballad compilation coming out in November called............

#born to touch your feelings   :rollin :facepalm:

I know that's a song title off Taken By Force but geez.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Those crazy Germans huh? :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Scorps have a ballad compilation coming out in November called............

No way I'm paying for a 4-song EP compilation.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What the fuck is with bands these days doing ballad compilations.  Which fuckwits would go out and pay money for a ballad compilation, for fucks sake.  These are metal bands, Jesus.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
In an era where they've lost album sales like most bands have....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
In an era where they've lost album sales like most bands have....

Exactly.  There simply seems no reason whatsoever for bands to release shit like this.  Scorpions aren't the first and it seems to happen more and more.  It's more insulting and pointless to the fans than a best of.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, Communic were a good, strong and heavy band but this new song is so damn thin and weak and lacks balls and power.  So disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykZxguD2ZeQ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Off topic, for you guys that liked Triviums Silence in the Snow because of the fact there is no screaming, you should give the new one a go neverthelss.  I'm not trying to mislead you, there is a lot of screaming, probably 50/50 clean and screaming but the songs are incredible and Matt and the band are at the top of their game.  Blows Silence in the Snow out of the water.  Stuff like Beyond Oblivion, Other Worlds and Endless Night are like supercharged Silence tracks but better.  Others are more like their old stuff but everything has melody.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Will do, cashew.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Off topic, for you guys that liked Triviums Silence in the Snow because of the fact there is no screaming, you should give the new one a go neverthelss.  I'm not trying to mislead you, there is a lot of screaming, probably 50/50 clean and screaming but the songs are incredible and Matt and the band are at the top of their game.  Blows Silence in the Snow out of the water.  Stuff like Beyond Oblivion, Other Worlds and Endless Night are like supercharged Silence tracks but better.  Others are more like their old stuff but everything has melody.

I loved SitS. But 50% screams?  Can’t say I’m gonna like it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://bravewords.com/news/legendary-celtic-frost-bassist-martin-eric-ain-passes-at-50

Wow. Fucking 50??

Damn, 50.  RIP.

Probably not, but at least give it a go if you liked Silence.

Offline Lowdz

https://bravewords.com/news/legendary-celtic-frost-bassist-martin-eric-ain-passes-at-50

Wow. Fucking 50??

Damn, 50.  RIP.

Probably not, but at least give it a go if you liked Silence.

Two songs in and although the songs are ok, the blast beats are killing me more than the screaming. Hate blast beats.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah...........screams and blast beats pretty much rules me out too :lol

Hopefully the pretty hefty break in proceedings has whet the appetite for a new podcast - the last one was only 4 weeks after the prior show and I think perhaps resulted in less interest (aside from Kade's rave reviews of Elegy :tup ).         I am pretty sure that Tim is ready to listen to something decent anyway :lol 

Just had a listen myself and it sounds reasonably cohesive for a show put together in bite size pieces over a period of 4 months.

Link below (and in OP as usual):

https://yadi.sk/d/psG_0fIs3N2G3n

This show is a bit of a jumbo edition and will be the last for the year.  I am putting everything I have into getting myself across all the best rare gems of 2017 and will base the next show around the Best of 2017.   I must admit I am craving a return to listening to the classics more in 2018 and sampling things I have already identified as quality , so I may even give new releases a bit of a break in 2018.

The new show is made up of two parts:

- 2 hrs of mostly metal with no particular theme

- an alphabetical rundown of the the best in hard rock rarities (and more than a few classics) from bands starting with the letters U-Z.  I jumped to the other end of the alphabet just because :lol .

I will post a link to the tracklist soon.   I did note some feedback after my DTF hiatus that the last show was on the quiet side with the volume and I believe I have sorted that out.  It's a matter of compensating for an annoying fault with the software as I adjust each track.

As per usual any feedback is very welcome and is basically what keeps this going.   Not too many podcasts are produced for an audience of half a dozen regulars and so it's your thoughts and hopefully enjoyment that keeps us working towards the next one.  :)  I am hoping that all/most will find something cool they were not already aware of.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Will jump on that tomorrow. Nice one Shane 😀

Got to about 5 songs in to the Trivium and I swear there were blast beats in every song. Some good stuff in there but I don’t feel I need to go any further for some good melodic bits amongst the blast beats and screaming.

If it was just th3 screaming I could have lived with it I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to the show Brent.

All good with the Trivium guys, I kind of knew you wouldn't dig it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Will jump on that tomorrow. Nice one Shane 😀

Hopefully it's not ordinary  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
*downloading*

Hey Paul... thanks for taking one for the team.   ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Downloaded and on my iPod.

Brent, what made you pick Belly Of The Beast? Didn't think you really cared for Anthrax.

Loved your lead in to Blackmore. Love old memories like that.

The vocals killed Blue Murder for me. Not that the songs were that great to begin with, but they never stood a chance with Sykes singing them.
Oh, and Cozy Powell!! :metal
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:57:33 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Brent, what made you pick Belly Of The Beast? Didn't think you really cared for Anthrax.

Spreading The Disease got an HM in my Top 50 - big fan of that album but just bits and pieces from elsewhere.   Always enjoyed Belly of The Beast and Time from PoT.   And.........I do from time to time play things that I am not raving about if I know some of you guys like it.

PS the new Marty Friedman is half okay and half crap - even some blast beats in there for you Paul :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:41:13 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I had a listen to the Marty Friedman too.  Not bad, but not as good as the last one which I really liked.

Had a listen to the TMac too.  Very short, but a bit more accessable then the last couple but it's just good to know he's still able to make music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
 :-\

Offline Lowdz

Spreading The Disease got an HM in my Top 50 - big fan of that album but just bits and pieces from elsewhere.   Always enjoyed Belly of The Beast and Time from PoT.   And.........I do from time to time play things that I am not raving about if I know some of you guys like it.

PS the new Marty Friedman is half okay and half crap - even some blast beats in there for you Paul :D

Yeah, the Friedman didn’t do anything for me. I prefer his stuff when it’s quiet and laid back.

And happy to take one for the team occasionally but you’re next.

Blast beats 😖🤢

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
And happy to take one for the team occasionally but you’re next.

Blast beats 😖🤢

Fair is fair.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Haha, might make a blast beats thread just for Paul!  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What did you think of the Nocturnal Rites , Paul?    I found it very "by the numbers".

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What did you think of the Nocturnal Rites , Paul?    I found it very "by the numbers".

I know you didn't ask me but I'm gonna give you my opinion anyway.  ;D

I've only listened to it twice all the way through and first thing I must congratulate the band on is even after a 10 year hiatus, they are able to come back and basically reproduce the exact same album again.  Some of the melodies and what's going on here are directly lifted from the 8th Sin and it's quite frankly amazing how similar it is to the 8th Sin. 

I agree with what you said earlier from memory, everything just sounds the same and very safe.  No variety at all in any of the songs, and even if they are trying to change things up, it still sounds the same.  The melodies mostly are top notch as are the performances and the welcome addition of Per Nilsson adds some real class in the lead section.  Nils was a brilliant guitarist and perfect for the band but Per adds a different sort of class.  He's probably the highlight of the album for me with some of these solos.  Going back to the melodies though, there are some brilliant ones but some real awkward ones too.  The melodies I think on The Ghost Inside and This is the End (?) I think it's called just don't seem right.  But that's something that will probably grow into with repeated listens.

There's really  nothing not to like here, and it's an enjoyable album but it lacks real substance and is something I find hard to sink my teeth into.  This will probably change with some more listens and I'll probably grow to really like it just like the last couple but yeah, the band aren't really challenging themselves here.  And it's something that doesn't make you want to play it again over and over.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
:iagree:

Loved it on first listen; enjoyed it immensely on second; by the third I was feeling it was fairly ordinary.  A very "solid" ordinary, but still lacking some je ne sai quois

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So, Judas Priests new album released early 2018 will be called Firepower.  IMO, that's a bloody great old school style Priest album title, love it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No idea where to put this but I'll post this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLPGMG42pRE

Total Mission From 'Arry moment at 4:14.

Offline Lowdz

:iagree:

Loved it on first listen; enjoyed it immensely on second; by the third I was feeling it was fairly ordinary.  A very "solid" ordinary, but still lacking some je ne sai quois

This.
Solos are great. It’s ok. Not in any rush to play it again in a hurry. The 7 string sound is so samey throughout and I just don’t like the sound. But it’s good to have them back.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of things I won't be rushing back to.............just listening to the new Steelheart.    It's had some good reviews around the place but I am not getting it.   The ballads are clearly the best tracks.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:49:13 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au