Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901839 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm way too busy trying to find new things I like and really don't have the motivation or time to bother with deluxe editions of things I already have.  In many cases I already have the rare additions etc....and I really don't spend much time on live albums/DVDs

No doubt I am missing out on some good stuff but there's only so much time in the day and it's already insufficient.

I will say that from what I have seen of the 1987 Whitesnake one it did seem to be relatively well priced.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I use to be a sucker for these deluxe reissues no matter what, but I never bother anymore.  I rarely see any value at all to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I use to be a sucker for these deluxe reissues no matter what, but I never bother anymore.  I rarely see any value at all to be honest.

This.

There was a time when I wanted to have every little rehearsal room demo bit of my favorite bands but nowadays I don't really bother anymore because most of the time those tracks are demoe or b-sides for a reason. They aren't that good (imo) and I'm not really listening to them more than once.

Live bonus discs are nice but then I don't really need several versions of songs played live that don't really vary that much performancewise.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

This.

There was a time when I wanted to have every little rehearsal room demo bit of my favorite bands but nowadays I don't really bother anymore because most of the time those tracks are demoe or b-sides for a reason. They aren't that good (imo) and I'm not really listening to them more than once.

Live bonus discs are nice but then I don't really need several versions of songs played live that don't really vary that much performancewise.

Yep.  Bonus material being easily accessible online doesn't help the cause to purchase these reissues either.  As you said mate, if it was that bloody brilliant, it would have been released in the first place, well said.

Offline Lowdz

What exactly comes with the Whitesnake 1987 Deluxe edition. I couldn't tell from Amazon.

WHITESNAKE - 1987 (30th Anniversary Remaster)

DELUXE 4 CD/ DVD ALBUM

RELEASE DATE DUE: 6TH OCTOBER 2017
CAT NO:

WARNER MUSIC DISTRIBUTION
TRACK LIST
Disc 1: Original album remastered (CD). Disc 2: Live performance from 'Snakeskin Boots' 1987-1988 world tour (CD). Disc 3: '87 Evolutions' - unreleased demos and rehearsals (CD). Disc 4: '87 Versions' - exclusive remixes, alternate versions and tracks from Japanese '1987 Versions' mini-album (CD). Disc 5: Music videos restored with 5.1 sound, documentary about the making of 1987 album, new video for 1988 version of 'Here I Go Again' and rare footage of live performances from 1987 tour (DVD).

Disc: 1

1. Still of the Night (2017 Remastered Version)

2. Give Me All Your Love (2017 Remastered Version)

3. Bad Boys (2017 Remastered Version)

4. Is This Love (2017 Remastered Version)

5. Here I Go Again 87 (2017 Remastered Version)

6. Straight for the Heart (2017 Remastered Version)

7. Looking for Love (2017 Remastered Version)

8. Children of the Night (2017 Remastered Version)

9. You're Gonna Break My Heart Again (2017 Remastered Version)

10. Crying in the Rain (2017 Remastered Version)

11. Don't Turn Away (2017 Remastered Version)

Disc: 2

1. Bad Boys / Children of the Night (Live)

2. Slide It In (Live)

3. Slow An' Easy (Live)

4. Here I Go Again (Live)

5. Guilty of Love (Live)

6. Is This Love (Live)

7. Love Ain't No Stranger (Live)

8. Guitar Solo (Adrian & Vivian) [Live]

9. Crying in the Rain (Live)

10. Still of the Night (Live)

11. Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City (Live)

12. Give Me All Your Love (Live)

Disc: 3

1. Still of the Night (87 Evolutions Version)

2. Give Me All Your Love (87 Evolutions Version)

3. Bad Boys (87 Evolutions Version)

4. Is This Love (87 Evolutions Version)

5. Straight for the Heart (87 Evolutions Version)

6. Looking for Love (87 Evolutions Version)

7. Children of the Night (87 Evolutions Version)

8. You're Gonna Break My Heart Again (87 Evolutions Version)

9. Crying in the Rain (87 Evolutions Version)

10. Don't Turn Away (87 Evolutions Version)

11. Crying in the Rain (Lil' Mountain Alternate Take) [Ruff Mix] [87 Evolutions Version]

Disc: 4

1. Still of the Night (2017 Remix)

2. Is This Love (2017 Remix)

3. Give Me All Your Love (2017 Remix)

4. Here I Go Again 87 (2017 Remix)

5. Standing In the Shadows (1987 Version)

6. Looking for Love (87 Versions Version)

7. You're Gonna Break My Heart Again (87 Versions Version)

8. Need Your Love So Bad (1987 Version)

9. Here I Go Again (Radio Mix)

10. Give Me All Your Love (Single Version)

Disc: 5

1. Still of the Night

2. Here I Go Again 87

3. Is This Love

4. Give Me All Your Love

5. Video Memories - The Making of the 1987 Album Documentary

6. Here I Go Again (Purplesnake Video Jam Version)

7. Crying in the Rain

8. Band Intros

9. Still of the Night

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I bought that Whitesnake 87 deluxe version last year and I really like it.

On the main disc, it has 2 bonus songs Looking for Love and You're Going to Break My Heart Again. Why they didn't include those two songs on the original release is a head scratcher, they are two of my favorite tunes from Whitesnake. Then there is 4 live tracks too. The bonus dvd has the videos released from this album plus the the live tracks. So I definitely found this release worth it.

Other deluxe editions that I have that I really like are Operation Mindcrime, which has the main album along with a live cd of O:M and a dvd.

Priest has a deluxe edition of SFV and Defenders which are very cool. The SFV album has a DVD of their festival show which is fantastic .

Moving Pictures by Rush is a great deluxe edition too. No extra tracks but it sounds better than ever.

Black Sabbath has some of the best deluxe editions that I have. All the Dio albums have lots of bonus live songs. Others have demos and live tracks with Ray Gilen which is very cool to hear. Hopefully the remaining Tony Martin albums are reissued next year.

I bought the first three Dio deluxe editions which have tons of live songs and is completely worth it.

The one album I'm surprised hasn't seen the deluxe edition treatment is Images and Words.

Offline Lowdz

Those two Whitesnake songs were on the original European version I think.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

On the main disc, it has 2 bonus songs Looking for Love and You're Going to Break My Heart Again. Why they didn't include those two songs on the original release is a head scratcher, they are two of my favorite tunes from Whitesnake.

They were on the original Euro version back in the day.  I never knew until much later either as we got the US version out here.  I picked up those tracks on the Best Of Whitesnake.

There we have it - a "best of" that JJ is missing  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Wow, ninja'd he maestro 😀

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm ok with 'deluxe' versions that have rare/unreleased live tracks, and a remaster.  But, the demo and early/alternate arrangement stuff... that's crap.  I haven't heard one instance where that kind of "extra" isn't easily skipable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I bought that Whitesnake 87 deluxe version last year and I really like it.

On the main disc, it has 2 bonus songs Looking for Love and You're Going to Break My Heart Again. Why they didn't include those two songs on the original release is a head scratcher, they are two of my favorite tunes from Whitesnake. Then there is 4 live tracks too. The bonus dvd has the videos released from this album plus the the live tracks. So I definitely found this release worth it.

Other deluxe editions that I have that I really like are Operation Mindcrime, which has the main album along with a live cd of O:M and a dvd.

Priest has a deluxe edition of SFV and Defenders which are very cool. The SFV album has a DVD of their festival show which is fantastic .

Moving Pictures by Rush is a great deluxe edition too. No extra tracks but it sounds better than ever.

Black Sabbath has some of the best deluxe editions that I have. All the Dio albums have lots of bonus live songs. Others have demos and live tracks with Ray Gilen which is very cool to hear. Hopefully the remaining Tony Martin albums are reissued next year.

I bought the first three Dio deluxe editions which have tons of live songs and is completely worth it.

The one album I'm surprised hasn't seen the deluxe edition treatment is Images and Words.

The Whitesnake deluxe was out in Europe last year? Wow, I thought the one coming out this year was the first version of it. I think it got pushed back to December here.

re: Mindcrime -- I think it should have been much more. Bringing Video Mindcrime to DVD was good, but they used the same redlined remaster from 2003. The live material was good too, and combined with the Empire deluxe, forms a complete show from the Building Empires tour. But I still think they missed out on Mindcrime. That record should have received a huge treatment.

re: Images and Words -- Obviously, most of us would love it, but I don't think it is feasible. It wasn't nearly as popular as most of the records we're talking about. And with Ytsejam Records, all the rare stuff is on the Images and Words release under that. I mean, sure, we could design a beautiful version, I'm sure. But its MP that has all that stuff most likely, and I don't see them spending the money and time to put out a 25 or 30 year I&W deluxe, sadly.

Overall, I hear folks regarding the deluxe versions and not bothering with them. But I've found them to be quite entertaining if the price is right. Marillion's Misplaced Childhood -- I never listened to them before buying the deluxe version. I watched the documentary first, then listened to the record. Great price for a beautiful package. And I wouldn't nearly have enjoyed it as much if it was simply me loading the tracks onto my iPod and listening. The deluxe version was an experience, and I really enjoyed it. So, I tend to enjoy these if the price is right.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I really like the Megadeth Peace Sells 25th Anniversary remaster.  I never buy the big, deluxe packages, but the 2 CD was nice.  The album was remastered from the original recordings (not the 2005-ish re-release that Mustaine did) and the second disc was a live bootleg from that tour.

Haven't bought the Queensryche re-releases, since I already owned the 2003 versions.  The live recordings would be nice to have.

I have the first two Pantera re-releases.  The CFH one is killer, with tons of live stuff and the full album demos.  The Vulgar one had a nice live DVD and a bonus track.  Sadly, both albums are mastered way too hot and sound like crap compared to the originals.  I'd like the FBD/Trendkill ones, but haven't shelled out for them since the remastering on the albums sucks.

Offline Lowdz

There was a 20th anniversary version of 1987. The 30th anniversary is due out next week. There is more stuff on the new one.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I checked and that's what I bought last year, the 20th anniversary of 1987.

4 discs for the 30th anniversary? What's in store for the 40th and 50th anniversary super extreme mega deluxe editions?

Brent- I have two "best of" Whitesnake albums lol. I've had those tracks before and knew they weren't on the US version, which they deserve to be. Great tunes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:25:03 AM by jjrock88 »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
There was a 20th anniversary version of 1987. The 30th anniversary is due out next week. There is more stuff on the new one.

That's what I thought. But the Super Deluxe for the 30th has been delayed. I got a message it won't be released until Dec. 31. Sucks. Apparently the 2 CD version is coming out next week, but the Super Deluxe will be another couple of months. I canceled my order, and figure I'll re-order when it is time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So what are your guys' opinions on all the "deluxe issue" treatments some of the classic hard rock and metal record are receiving

So the only way I would ever buy a reissue or a deluxe package is that if it contained an actual concert from the time period. Various live tracks, demos, etc....don't appeal to me.
I'm happy with all of the recordings that I have. I just can't see myself rebuying something I already have. I have zero interest in collecting vinyl. I have a couple hundred albums in my attic, because that's where they belong. Between work and family, I don't have time to relive the romantic days of old spinning records. It just doesn't fit.

I bought the JP SFV one because of the DVD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I'm hoping Marillion do the deluxe box for all the Fish albums. They would look great on the bookshelf.

There definitely needs to be something special for me to fork 🍴 up again for albums I probably already have 2-3 times, or more if we're talking Mindcrime and Empire. Mindcrime needs a 5:1 mix, surely.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I checked and that's what I bought last year, the 20th anniversary of 1987.

4 discs for the 30th anniversary? What's in store for the 40th and 50th anniversary super extreme mega deluxe editions?

Brent- I have two "best of" Whitesnake albums lol. I've had those tracks before and knew they weren't on the US version, which they deserve to be. Great tunes.

Sorry Jay to insult your bestofness  ;D   I obviously misinterpreted your post.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Sorry Jay to insult your bestofness ;D   I obviously misinterpreted your post.

:rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was never a huge Whitesnake fan but 1987 is a no brainer.  But I never knew that those two tracks weren't included on every release.  Looking For Love is my fav song on the whole album by far.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, I tried to send you a PM, but it said your inbox was full...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It's quite upsetting but I have had to delete that link to Steam Powered Giraffe that you sent me and now have some space.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's quite upsetting but I have had to delete that link to Steam Powered Giraffe that you sent me and now have some space.

I can always email the link to you!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Vinnie Vincent trailer for the Kiss Expo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQtY4V7dGQ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I always dismissed Jack Starr without listening to any. Great old school metal. The singer on the new stuff is pretty awesome.

Good album -I was actually expecting a bit more to be honest (based on my sampling) but I had heard the best tracks leading in.  The singer is the current guy in Riot.

This is a really good album. Much better than his last one, especially production wise. I ended up buying this today after Spotifying it a couple of times. Came with an auto rip so I've been listening to it all afternoon. Loving it.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Brent whats your rating for the Steaming Giraffes?

I rate it a negative 4 billion.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I was about as impressed as Tim's donkey.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

mr.com just thinks your an asshole with that score.

Offline Lowdz

I always dismissed Jack Starr without listening to any. Great old school metal. The singer on the new stuff is pretty awesome.

Good album -I was actually expecting a bit more to be honest (based on my sampling) but I had heard the best tracks leading in.  The singer is the current guy in Riot.

This is a really good album. Much better than his last one, especially production wise. I ended up buying this today after Spotifying it a couple of times. Came with an auto rip so I've been listening to it all afternoon. Loving it.

Yeah, I enjoyed it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
WTF?? Is that Captain and Tennille?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Haha...I was not expecting that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Why on earth would anyone expect that?

At least we know what Brent is listening to.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Why on earth would anyone expect that?

At least we know what Brent is listening to.

Still better than what you're listening to :neverusethis:

www.theguitardojo.com.au