Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 905186 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The two vocal tracks on Rising Force seemed like such throw away tracks.

I've never followed JSS post Yngwie.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

The two vocal tracks on Rising Force seemed like such throw away tracks.

I've never followed JSS post Yngwie.

The Axel Rudi Pell albums he sang on, the first Eyes album and Kuni are worth checking out.

Offline ozzy554

The sampler video for the new Black Country Communion album sounds really solid. Hopefully they don't break up while trying to tour lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Anybody else pick up the new Accept?  It's Accept 101, but everything is sounding good upon first listens.

I wouldn't expect any new kind of sound from the band and it definitely fits in with the last three releases.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Anybody else pick up the new Accept?  It's Accept 101, but everything is sounding good upon first listens.

I wouldn't expect any new kind of sound from the band and it definitely fits in with the last three releases.

Didn't realise it was out already!  I'll have a listen but nothing I've heard has really wowed me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Avantasia are on wacken's live stream currently...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Trump just said he is going to "unleash fury" on North Korea.  I told you guys Yngwie would soon be pulling the strings at the White House and nobody believed me  :hat
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just had a listen to Alice Cooper's new one.  Strong start but didn't think the second half was as good.  At least it doesn't sound like everything else - it's not hard to tell when some effort gets put in even if it's not wholly my cuppa tea.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I've just listened once. Was ok, certainly not horrible like the last few.

Listened to the Kryptonite yesterday. Thought it was ok, but more of the same Frontiers copy and paste. Singer from the Poodles lifts it up a bit as he has some personality to his voice at least.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Do you include Welcome 2 My Nightmare in that?  - listening now (only 4 or 5 songs in) and it has some pretty decent stuff on it I think.   I enjoyed the nice mix of old and new on The Last Temptation too but beyond those I have already mentioned in the album thread I'm pretty happy that I now have most of his best stuff.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just had a listen to Alice Cooper's new one.  Strong start but didn't think the second half was as good.  At least it doesn't sound like everything else - it's not hard to tell when some effort gets put in even if it's not wholly my cuppa tea.

I think it's pretty solid all the way through. Of the last 5 tracks, the only one I don't love is Public Private Breakdown.

But I'm a huge Alice fan. I love this album's nod to his early 80's era. It's far too underappreciated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just back from vacation. Look who I ran into!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
So awesome Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Do you include Welcome 2 My Nightmare in that?  - listening now (only 4 or 5 songs in) and it has some pretty decent stuff on it I think. 

And...........downhill from there  :lol

Nice pic Tim.  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Nice one Tim. Should have said - I have a mate in Dublin. I could have nipped over 😀

Yeah, WTMN2 had a few ok songs. Didn't hate it as much as the albums after Last Temptation. Never been tempted to go back to it though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool ass pic Tim!!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So, of all the shit that mr.com rates at 98%, 99% or 100%, I have a look tonight and the Ferrymen has been given a 59%?! 

Okay it's not Battle era Magnus Karlsson but what is. it's a solid, enjoyable album nevertheless.  But 59?  Piss off!

The songs just aren’t there and the vocals leave me cold I’m afraid to say. There’s no issue at all with the musical performances or production, it is just a project that looked good on paper, but failed to deliver in reality.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The songs just aren’t there and the vocals leave me cold I’m afraid to say. There’s no issue at all with the musical performances or production, it is just a project that looked good on paper, but failed to deliver in reality.

:youfail:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Haven't been there in years. Used to love it there but the reviews got ridiculous and clearly done to please the sponsor.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Nocturnal Rites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esXmQdd81ZA

Per Nilsson really has a big influence on the sound of this one.  It's Grand Illusion style but kind of like Scar Symmetry without the growls.  I can dig it.  Still has the nice NR hook.

The solo section sounds directly from a Scar Symmetry track, which really throws me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Haven't been there in years. Used to love it there but the reviews got ridiculous and clearly done to please the sponsor.

Even a few of his disciples are having a go at him I see.

I have been very suspicious of his motives with reviews for some time (and I'm a fan and have known him since before the site started in the late 90's) but that just pretty much confirms he has gone off the rails.  A review around 60% on his site - even back when he was objective- is an absolute spanking.  I think it's a good album with 2 or 3 standout tracks and therefore my rating range is low-mid 80's.  I could understand even low 70's at a pinch but 59% is just having us on.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I actually just checked out that melodic rock site. I'm not sure if I've ever been there before, I can't remember. But I checked out the score for the new Quiet Riot and it got 30%.

I remember seeing footage of James Durbin on American Idol singing with Judas Priest. He appeared to be a good singer and when they showed the initial live footage of him singing with Quiet Riot, I thought he did a very good job. But when I listened to a couple of new studio tracks with him, wow, 30% might be generous. It's truly terrible and mr.com saying it's one of the worst albums he's heard might be accurate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
30% is 30 points too high for that piece of shit.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline gazinwales

The thing to remember with AM and MR.com, that site is his full time job, his source of income and he supports a family with it.
He has to be careful not to offend anyone really, current and potential sponsors, I would be the same if I were in his position too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The thing to remember with AM and MR.com, that site is his full time job, his source of income and he supports a family with it.
He has to be careful not to offend anyone really, current and potential sponsors, I would be the same if I were in his position too.

I would be far more accepting if he didn't positively bristle at any suggestion that his reviews (and the albums he chooses for review) aren't 100% objective.

Anyway........the whole site is a very different animal.  He now makes most of his money from his own label , so the news feed is mostly promos for his bands vs he used to be a good source of news.  And any reviews (if and when he gets around to it) are mostly predictable releases and predictable ratings vs he used to do a good job of exposing his audience to largely unknown material.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

Oh I knew had a label, but no idea it was making money for him  :o

Offline Lowdz

Mixed feelings about the Nocturnal Rites. Great chorus as always, ripping solo. What I didn't love is the guitar sound every single metal player has these days, and the 7 string. I hate them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Mixed feelings about the Nocturnal Rites. Great chorus as always, ripping solo. What I didn't love is the guitar sound every single metal player has these days, and the 7 string. I hate them.

Ditto - supposedly JP is going for an 8 so that has me very excited :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Ditto - supposedly JP is going for an 8 so that has me very excited :lol

Yeah I shuddered when I heard that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

As I said, Per has a lot of influence on this one and I can see why some of you guys might not warm to it so much.  Per Nilsson is the lead guitarist in the band now and his other band is Scar Symmetry.  Take a listen.  Not expecting you guys to like it but can show you the influence he's having here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbEn-WhB_k0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylTmVkmsuws

Offline Lowdz

According to Blabbermouth, Vinnie Vincent is signed up to attend the KISS expo next year...
File this one in the believe it when I see it file.
I wouldn't pay him anything up front.

Offline gazinwales

Yeah I wonder why VV has surfaced after almost 20 years?
Money?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think he saw Kiss expo and read it backwards as Po' ex Kiss and raised his hand.

Offline Lowdz

He was a great songwriter and I love his guitar playing. Shame he appears to have mental health issues. I'd like to think he's been working on material all this time but I think realistically he's become a hermit/dropout from society.

Last known contact with mankind, he was living in squalor with dead dogs in his house, so I'm not expecting a VVI III 😀