Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896738 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Doesn't seem that I have missed any major DTF happenings in recent weeks

word of caution, stay away from the MP Shattered Fortress thread
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Piss off Vince you fat fuck. 

I find this quite offensive - "full figured fuck" would be more sensitive Kade.

I have missed you guys  :lol

Doesn't seem that I have missed any major DTF happenings in recent weeks - should be up to date by mid week in terms of anything in this thread , PMs etc...

That's cause you haven't been here.  ;D

I haven't step foot in that MP thread, what's the go?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's a bunch of fucking nonsense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Finally the Brent has come back to the Official Hard Rock/Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabillia Thread!

Crowd erupts.

:djhef:

I haven't step foot in that MP thread, what's the go?

Ditto.  Good rule of thumb is that DTF can turn anything MP-related into a cluster fuck.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Haha..WTF?

https://bravewords.com/news/vince-neil-plays-abbreviated-headline-set-at-bang-your-head-festival-2017-promoter-issues-onstage-apology-for-booking-him

This is nothing new for Vince, but it's hilarious that the promoter apologized for booking him in the first place.  I saw him in a small suburban club in 2007 or 2008, and it was the same thing.  He played about 10 songs (the usual Motley hits), including a covers medley where he left the stage for about 10 minutes and Jeff Blando sang a medley of War Pigs/Heaven & Hell and a Zeppelin song.  Blando, Dana Strum and Zoltan (the drummer) are the only redeeming things about his band - those guys kick ass.

Vince talks about loving to tour and play shows, but the fact that he only plays a 60 minute headlining show is awful.  My wife and I went for the sheer novelty of seeing Vince in a small 600 person capacity club, but hated having to deal with the groupies that tried to push their way up front after we had stood in our spots for nearly 2 hours straight watching the opening bands.  I won't ever go see him again - once was enough.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's a bunch of fucking nonsense.

Want to know more, but really couldn't be assed or have the time to go and check it out.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
MP tweets or facebooks something he probably shouldn't have (surprise!)
people get upset and feel the need to complain
other people defend MP
rinse, repeat ad infinitum
Winger would be better!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
MP tweets or facebooks something he probably shouldn't have (surprise!)
people get upset and feel the need to complain
other people defend MP
rinse, repeat ad infinitum

So nothing new then it seems.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
back and forth.  Forever.
Winger would be better!

Online gazinwales

A little OT, but a few Aussies frequent this thread.
JB have got 20% off CD's, vinyl, DVD and BR amongst others today, plus an extra 5% if your on their newsletter email.
Today only!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:41:34 PM by gazinwales »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A little OT, but a few Aussies frequent this thread.
JB have got 20% off CD's, vinyl, DVD and BR amongst others today, plus an extra 5% if your on their newsletter email.
Today only!

Good old JB.  They do the discounted cd's very often, it seems every second weekend they have 20% off DVD's too lol.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Earlier this year in Canada, all the HMV stores had closed down, so I thought that was officially it for music/movie stores. Best Buy and Walmart only have a very limited section so I figured it was amazon only from this point on.  But in the last month a new store, called Sunrise Records, opened in select old HMV locations. It's pretty similar to HMV but they also carry quite a bit of vinyl.

Will they last? Hard to say, but it's nice to still have some type of music store around.

Big difference from 10-15 years ago when there were music stores every where. But everyone in this thread is old school like myself and likely just enjoyed the aspect of going into a music store and not nessasarily buying something, but just looking around and browsing. I have the same feelings with old video stores. I always enjoyed just going into a video store and look around; that's where I would learn about a lot of the new releases and find lots of older gems as well.

But thats old school mentality lol.

Offline Lowdz

https://youtu.be/025It5p5vPw

New Steelheart track. Not bad actually. And not another cookie cutter Frontiers project recorded in Del Vecchio 's studio and sent to whatever vocalist they are using this time. looking forward to hearing more.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Earlier this year in Canada, all the HMV stores had closed down, so I thought that was officially it for music/movie stores. Best Buy and Walmart only have a very limited section so I figured it was amazon only from this point on.  But in the last month a new store, called Sunrise Records, opened in select old HMV locations. It's pretty similar to HMV but they also carry quite a bit of vinyl.

Sunrise was THE chain (here in Ontario at least) long before HMV sprouted roots in Canada.  I lined up many-a-times at a Sunrise location for concert tickets back in the 'wrist-band policy' days.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
We had HMV in Australia but they all went years ago.  They actually weren't too bad some of them here.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
We have this big record store here in Cologne (part of a large electronic store chain) that for a long time prided itself with having the largest record collection in europe. Don't know if this is/was true but it was big. I spent hours and hours browsing the vinyl and later cd bins. Countless times I discovered that some of my favorite bands had released a new record by seeing it in the new releases bin and a lot of discoveries were made by browsing through their record collection. This was before the internet apparently. Ahh, those were the days.  :D

They still are big but not like they used to be and I'm not there that often anymore, but when I find the time I still like to just look through the cd bins.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was just listening to Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather by Judas Priest.  I think this album is their most underrated in the entire discography and my favorite from their 70s material.

The title tracks along with Burnin Up and Running Wild are such major kick ass tunes. Green Manalishi is one of the best  songs I've ever heard and I think Before the Dawn is an outstanding ballad.

Speaking of the Green Manalishi, I don't think I've ever heard the original song from Fleetwood Mac.

Offline Lowdz

Our local HMV closed about five years ago but it's reopening tomorrow. Will have a wander in to have a look.

I remember a few years ago I got a call from them saying a cd I'd ordered had arrived. I said there was a mistake, I hadn't ordered anything. When I got there it was the Steeler album that I'd ordered about five years earlier 😀

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of the Green Manalishi, I don't think I've ever heard the original song from Fleetwood Mac.

Priest certainly did a great job of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvKaLW5bu8

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Original is pretty cool

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Original is pretty cool

So many drugs were smoked before recording that.

Offline Lowdz

NewLynch Mob. I'd quite like it if that fucking awful vocal effect wasn't there - I hate it, every time I hear it grrrrr

Oh and Lynch rips on the solo. Bet I've heard from him in a long time

https://www.hairbandheaven.rocks/single-post/2017/07/21/LYNCH-MOB-Releases-Video-For-New-Song-Main-Offender

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
NewLynch Mob. I'd quite like it if that fucking awful vocal effect wasn't there - I hate it, every time I hear it grrrrr

Oh and Lynch rips on the solo. Bet I've heard from him in a long time

https://www.hairbandheaven.rocks/single-post/2017/07/21/LYNCH-MOB-Releases-Video-For-New-Song-Main-Offender

Not bad.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Accept song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9XIkVX5bE

Nothing flash this one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Got the new Unisonic live album today!! (will check it out tonight)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New Accept song;

Nothing flash this one.

That's two pretty rubbish songs I've heard now - not looking promising.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 Watching the Unisonic DVD. Holy hell :hefdaddy

First off..why can't the entire fucking show be on the DVD?? WHY?

Kiske sounds amazing. Maybe a little too amazing?
So great to see him and Kai on stage together. Kai and Mandy Meyer are fantastic together. This is a great band!

Oh, and Dennis Ward looks like the chaperone. :lol

Nor was I aware that lonestar was their new drummer! ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:04:20 PM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Accept song;

Nothing flash this one.

Musically it's classic Accept, so that's the good news.

But....Don't drink the Koolaid?  :facepalm:  WTF?? :lol

Offline Lowdz

New Accept song;

Nothing flash this one.

ManOwaR went there first.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Kiske sounds amazing. Maybe a little too amazing?
So great to see him and Kai on stage together. Kai and Mandy Meyer are fantastic together. This is a great band!

Oh, and Dennis Ward looks like the chaperone. :lol

Nor was I aware that lonestar was their new drummer! ;D

This is what put me off, WTF is with that?!  Seriously?!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Accept song;

Nothing flash this one.

I get the history and story behind it and all that, just jeez, it just sounds so stupid and cheesy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

This is what put me off, WTF is with that?!  Seriously?!

Right. I mean they have the footage, just burn the whole show.

And speaking of the footage, it is really excellent. I find that DVD footage/editing, etc... is often a mixed bag, but I can't complain here. They do a great job of catching the interaction between the band. And the guitars are mixed so clean.

The only thing in Wacken is how far the band actually is from the crowd. That seems weird. Of course not as far as Hammerfall on the Gates Of Valhalla DVD, where the crowd was literally across a lake! :lol :facepalm:

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Neat clip:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhrHCzc1wlQ

Joe Elliot and Phil Collen of Def Leppard show up to verify one of Phil's old guitars on Pawn Stars.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

Brilliant. Although I loved the first couple of blues albums, he went on too long releasing more forgettable stuff instead of returning to what he does best: rocking out.

He was probably the biggest influence on my playing, certainly my first major influence after Ace Frehley . Ace made me want to play - I wanted to play like Gary. Even when the shredders came along they weren't as big an influence as I knew I would never be able to do what they did. Although Gary's playing was also well out of my league it sounded attainable.

And I got some of the great man's sweat on me at the front at Manchester Apollo. It didn't improve my guitar playing though...