Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906394 times)

Kwyjibo and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
If one of those four couldn't play, Helix would be the pick!

I still was on their bandwagon.  I played the hell out of "Long Way To Heaven."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm seeing Helix/Lee Aaron in a few months.  Playing the local theatre here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It will be Chad and Ricky from Trailer Park Boys in the front row! Gimme an R!!

I'll also mention that I would consider Lee Aaron to have my favourite female vocals. She has some great tunes!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:13:09 PM by jjrock88 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Chad, is that the small theater close to your house you've seen many shows at?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, is that the small theater close to your house you've seen many shows at?

Indeed.  Fairly similar to the Majestic - but seating is a bowl, rather than all straight-ahead.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
King Diamond's Give Me Your Soul...Please, was released 10 years ago today. Which obviously means that King Diamond has not released an album in ten fucking years! WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
hasn't he had a lot of medical issues?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

He had heart bypass surgery quite a few years ago but has been in good health for years now going by interviews.  He's quit smoking and said he's been looking after himself and feels better than ever.  Not sure what the hold up is between him and Andy, but they just keep fucking everyone around with no real updates and it's turning into a Tool like situation now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity

He had heart bypass surgery quite a few years ago but has been in good health for years now going by interviews.  He's quit smoking and said he's been looking after himself and feels better than ever.  Not sure what the hold up is between him and Andy, but they just keep fucking everyone around with no real updates and it's turning into a Tool like situation now.

They recorded a few of the Abigail anniversary shows last in 2015 for a DVD release.  Who knows when that will come out though. 

Offline Lowdz

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=dV9f2Ces2pE

Kee of Hearts video. Song is ok, mainly because Tommy Heart has a great voice. But it's a great example of why some bands should not make videos 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You are so right. The song is definitely decent enough, but that video. That singer is just creepy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So everyday at work, I hear this female sung song that has struck a nerve. It contains the line "This boy is cracking up" in the chorus. I hear this song, and I immediately think that this has a total Phil Lynott lyric. This is the type of song he would sing.

So I type in "This boy is cracking up" in the search bar on youtube and up comes a few versions by The Corrs. Bam..this is the song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICWPITIV7I4

Come to find out....it's a cover of a track from one of Phil's solo albums! (Which I've never really bothered with)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2OcIqwmSaY

I feel so proud of myself! ;D

Offline Lowdz

There's a reason you haven't bothered with Phil's solo stuff. Most of it is shit.
The Corrs were a decent pop band, but they are definitely better to watch than listen to.  ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
There's a reason you haven't bothered with Phil's solo stuff. Most of it is shit.

Right, that's what I've understood. But with this revelation, and with so much crap being released these days, I may dig deeper. I LOVE Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy.

Offline Lowdz

Right, that's what I've understood. But with this revelation, and with so much crap being released these days, I may dig deeper. I LOVE Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy.

I have Solo In Soho. It's unmistakably Phil but it lacks guitars. I really like the song Dear Miss Lonely Hearts. It was the first song I taught myself to play on guitar by ear.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

They recorded a few of the Abigail anniversary shows last in 2015 for a DVD release.  Who knows when that will come out though.

This is what Andy offered up in an interview last month;

On the progress of the songwriting sessions for KING DIAMOND's long-awaited follow-up to 2007's "Give Me Your Soul … Please" album:

Andy: "I can't really say that we have started working on it yet, but it's coming. So as soon as we have some time, we're gonna start working on new songs."

On the KING DIAMOND songwriting process:

Andy: "What [KING DIAMOND singer and namesake and I] do is we both have our studios, so we send files [to each other], and if there's something that needs to be changed, we just talk about it and have it changed."

On the status of KING DIAMOND's much-anticipated DVD:

Andy: "We're actually still working on it, because we have a few options — different shows and stuff — so we have to make a decision which one is the best. And it's hard to know that before you start working on it. And you know the picture and the sound — that combination — have to match, of course, and when you see the whole thing, [you go], 'Okay, that show is really good.' So we're still working on it. And I have no release date; I'm sorry about that. We just want it to be really, really good."

Bascially nothing.  They have been working on a DVD for over 10 years now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Kee of Hearts video. Song is ok, mainly because Tommy Heart has a great voice. But it's a great example of why some bands should not make videos 😀

Not bad at all actually.

They probably shouldn't have told the bass player about the video shoot though.

Offline Lowdz

Not bad at all actually.

They probably shouldn't have told the bass player about the video shoot though.

Knew I'd seen him before 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Nocturnal Rites  :metal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=09e6d0Yr0e0

Fucking awesome, sound like they never left.  Can't believe these guys are back, so good.  :metal

And Per Nilsson on lead guitar, gets better and better.

Offline Lowdz

Fucking awesome, sound like they never left.  Can't believe these guys are back, so good.  :metal

I thought they were finished. Came as a shock a few days ago when I saw the AFM press release.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought they were finished. Came as a shock a few days ago when I saw the AFM press release.

They never announced anything.  Nils left the band and they got some new fella and kept saying that were working on new stuff.  Years went by and they just kind of vanished.  Never even said anything about a hiatus or anything.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
'The Chance' from the new Masterplan Helloween cover album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv3-9ZkWVxY

Eh, I don't mind it as it's a bit different than the old version but I don't really see the point.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
"The Chance" is one of Helloween's most underrated tunes.  My favorite from either Chameleon or Pink Bubbles.

This version is pretty cool,  but not in the same league as the original

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
"The Chance" is one of Helloween's most underrated tunes.  My favorite from either Chameleon or Pink Bubbles.

All of this.

As the track went on, the more I liked it.  I can accept the different vocals, but I'll have to go back and read the press release again to read what Roland has to say about this album and why they did this again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Agreed on all points.

WTF is the point of this? Wasn't the last Masterplan album pretty good? How many years ago was that now?

Nothing against Rick Altzi, but The Chance proves that it's Kiske's world and every other singer is living in it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
New Accept!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFqFYHFNeCc

Man, this would be the perfect time to Kip-roll... but I'm not that uncivilized.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
New Accept!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFqFYHFNeCc

Man, this would be the perfect time to Kip-roll... but I'm not that uncivilized.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Agreed on all points.

WTF is the point of this? Wasn't the last Masterplan album pretty good? How many years ago was that now?

Nothing against Rick Altzi, but The Chance proves that it's Kiske's world and every other singer is living in it.

Yeah, the last album was excellent, shame about the production though.

This is what Roland has to say regarding this.

In a 2015 interview with Heavy Talk, Grapow said that "PumpKings" would contain "my favorite, let's say, ten [or] twelve [HELLOWEEN] songs" reworked "as a MASTERPLAN album with some HELLOWEEN melodies. And I think it's very close to MASTERPLAN, because I wrote these songs, like 'The Time Of The Oath', 'The Dark Ride' or 'Escalation 666'… 'The Chance', and many, many more. And I'm pretty sure people will love it… with [MASTERPLAN singer Rick Altzi's] voice."

Still don't get the point.

Offline Lowdz

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

New Ten track. Rather bland.

That's redundant.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o928owvqcc4&feature=youtu.be

New Ten track. Rather bland ballad.

I thought that was pretty good, best song out of the three and had a nice classic Ten feel.

Offline Lowdz

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o928owvqcc4&feature=youtu.be

New Ten track. Rather bland ballad.

I thought that was pretty good, best song out of the three and had a nice classic Ten feel.

It was ok. Just bland. Not heard anything that has grabbed my interest yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm liking this Ferrymen album.  I think Magnus has actually stepped it up a little with this one and there's some really good songs.  He's put in an effort here.  Ronnie's voice is awesome too.  Worthy of a purchase I think.