Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896871 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Happy Birthday, party hard and live long.  :tup
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

Yeah, happy birthday youngster 🤘🍺🍺🍺🍺🤘

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
On that note I hope you have an exciting birthday Kade  ;D

Ah ha, you did get in first!!  Now I know why you apologised!!  :rollin

It's all good brother.  And thanks, had a sweet day.  Thought I was turning 32 when actually I'm 33. Did the same thing last year too.  :facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
On that note I hope you have an exciting birthday Kade  ;D

Ah ha, you did get in first!!  Now I know why you apologised!!  :rollin

:)

Are any of the Aussies going to bother buying tickets to see Sebastian Bach ? (or Sebitchian as he used to be affectionately known on some forums :lol  )

Not sure I can be bothered.  Saw him years ago with his band - wasn't all that impressed with "Metal Mike" and the rest of his band at the time and his voice was just okay (much worse now from all reports).

On a positive note he usually puts on a very energetic and fun show (unless he loses his shit and walks off or belts someone in the crowd)

Talking of gigs we have probably the longest running Aussie KISS covers band coming to our local pub in a few weeks - been around for almost 20 years.   I saw them NYE in the late 90's I think.   Ben saw the poster out the front and is pissed off that he cannot come in for the show (liquor laws).   My missus happens to know the sister of the pub owner so we've arranged for him to go "backstage" and meet the band and have a few pics before the show.  No big deal but he'll think it's cool  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:07:46 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That will be pretty cool for Ben nevertheless Brent.

Nah, never was big into Bach so no chance for me.  I can imagine he'd put on a good show though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It would be worth going to see Bach to watch him flip out on someone.  Each Bach show has a 98% success flip out rate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It would be worth going to see Bach to watch him flip out on someone.  Each Bach show has a 98% success flip out rate.

:lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just checked when I saw Bach and it was 2006.  Now that we're talking about his flip out ratio I have a feeling he closed the concert early because some plastic cups were being thrown on stage.  Unfortunately there is only a record of the gig on setlist.fm but no other info.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm checking out a few more newer releases I've missed while I have a week off work.

Just listened to the Crazy Lixx, and I was a fan of the last one as I felt their slight change in style really suited my tastes and this is more of the same.  Really enjoyable.  Of course nothing groundbreaking, but I like it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This Unity album with Henjo Richter is actually pretty crap.  Not much shredding either at all, disappointing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So on the Richter scale........

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice Brent.  Yeah, I'll have a second listen but no way you could tell Henjo had a part of this.  Lacking playing and songwriting.  Maybe I need to go in with a more open mind.

Just starting to listen to the Harem Scarem now.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't done anywhere near as good a job of keeping up with new releases this year but my impression at almost half way is that 2017 has been pretty weak thus far.

I would have to check but can't think of anything that I have rated better than mid-high 80's .

And mr.com has only rated 85% of its reviews at 100%
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:00:02 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't done anywhere near as good a job of keeping up with new releases this year but my impression at almost half way is that 2017 has been pretty weak thus far.

I would have to check but can't think of anything that I have rated better than mid-high 80's .

And mr.com has only rated 85% of its reviews at 100%

5 songs into the Harem Scarem and yeah, I could turn it off to be honest.

I've had another listen to the Crazy Lixx though, that one is sticking at the moment.

I listened to the Pyramaze also earlier today and it was pretty strong, but pretty much the same as the last one.  I liked the last one and it was one of my fav albums of the year, but don't think this one will have the atmosphere and replay value of that one.  It sounded promising though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Up to the second last song of the Harem Scarem and I can't help but to keep thinking to myself 'why am I listening to this?' and 'what's the point?'

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't got to Crazy Lixx yet , so there's hope.     I thought the Harem Scarem was decent enough - any other band and it'd be very good I suppose but it's just HS by the numbers and there's really no need to listen to anything on it in preference to their best albums.

Album cover gets a 9/10 :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Up to the second last song of the Harem Scarem and I can't help but to keep thinking to myself 'why am I listening to this?' and 'what's the point?'

We need Chad to weigh in on the verdict for this Harem Scarem. I'll stick with Mood Swings and pass on the new one.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Anybody picking up the new Primal Fear live album this week, Angels of Mercy? I won't get the blu ray, but I'm getting the cd/dvd set.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Anybody picking up the new Primal Fear live album this week, Angels of Mercy? I won't get the blu ray, but I'm getting the cd/dvd set.

Won't get it right away, but I'm planning on it.  Can't pass up anything Primal Fear.  :metal

I haven't got to Crazy Lixx yet , so there's hope.     I thought the Harem Scarem was decent enough - any other band and it'd be very good I suppose but it's just HS by the numbers and there's really no need to listen to anything on it in preference to their best albums.

Album cover gets a 9/10 :D

That's it.  Just nothing new or anything worthwhile.  I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though and give it another spin.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

We need Chad to weigh in on the verdict for this Harem Scarem. I'll stick with Mood Swings and pass on the new one.

Nothing will ever top Mood Swings.  I liked United slightly better than 13, but Brent pretty much nailed it - HS by the numbers.  Nothing wrong with it, but they're starting to suffer from ARP syndrome - if you've heard one Harem album (of the last 6) you've heard them all.  And as Paul once put it with ARP, you can probably identify which track number each song is too!   :lol

Pre-ordered Angels of Mercy BluRay.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone heard this band and album;

I think I stumbled across this band from a youtube recommendation and checked out this latest album from them.  I think it's quite excellent.  They are like a perfect blend of old school Hammerfall and Edguy.  Solid, no frills and pretty well written power metal.  I'm liking it a lot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That was the second album I bought this year. I love this album and had it on in the car last week. The dude sounds lust like Cans.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That was the second album I bought this year. I love this album and had it on in the car last week. The dude sounds lust like Cans.

Fuckin' doesn't he?  It's like hearing Glory/Legacy era Jociam again.  So much on here takes me back to that era of Hammerfall or Mandrake/Theater era Edguy and it makes me feel fucking good.  I think this is some of the coolest and freshest power metal I've heard for a long time.  This will be a purchase for me. 

Just looking them up and looks like its their third album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes and that was the best era for both bands, if you ask me.

I haven't gone back to check anything else out by them, but Mastery is an awesome album. Very easy on the ears.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes and that was the best era for both bands, if you ask me.

I haven't gone back to check anything else out by them, but Mastery is an awesome album. Very easy on the ears.

:metal

Some great guitar work in there to boot too.

Definitely agree on the Hammerfall and Edguy mate.  I remember hearing The Dragon Lies Bleeding for the first time and I was fucking blown away.  Those first 3 albums were my intro to power metal.  Finding Edguy not long after and I think I heard Golden Dawn and getting that album just opened up such a beautiful new world.  For an album to remind me of those days is so rare but very much needed these days in a sea of shit.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I checked out the vid for Follow Azrael and thought it was solid Edguy style stuff but it didn't inspire me to follow up.  I know I have never been super impressed by their past efforts so that's why I just checked the one song.  What's some of your favourite songs from the album guys?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I checked out the vid for Follow Azrael and thought it was solid Edguy style stuff but it didn't inspire me to follow up.  I know I have never been super impressed by their past efforts so that's why I just checked the one song.  What's some of your favourite songs from the album guys?

Only listened to it a couple of times and didn't really follow the tracklist but I know the title track is blistering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9B_SS8WNDw

This video makes them seem a lot more mediocre than what they actually are.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I like Victims Of The Nile, Iscariot, Future Millenia, and The Great Unknown is cool for what it is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
As soon as Mosh updates the Maiden Discog Thread to Piece Of Mind, I'll post my World Piece Tour program. But I'll preview the first two pages and the front/back cover here!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I like Victims Of The Nile, Iscariot, Future Millenia, and The Great Unknown is cool for what it is.

That was definitely one that stood out too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, this Crazy Lixx is awesome!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm assuming when Piece of Mind was released, Iron Maiden were on top of the metal world.

I know Maiden opened up for Priest on the Number tour, but when did Maiden surpass Priest?  Was it on this album or Powerslave?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Maiden headlined the POM tour in 1983. That was their first headline tour in NA.

Priest toured Defenders in '84 and then Maiden came back with the Powerslave headline tour in '85.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

That was definitely one that stood out too.

I checked out the title track and Future Millenia.    Future Millenia was my fave.

After those two tracks I have a better memory of why I mightn't have bothered too much in the past.   I do enjoy the music but it's pretty standard power metal.  The singer reminds me quite a bit of Tobias and , like Tobias (more so) , on some songs he sounds like he is living on the edge in terms of falling out of tune.  He never quite hits a shocking note but it doesn't always sound quite right either.  Not sure if anyone can relate but to me guys like this sorta sound like they have come to singing late and don't quite have the control of a Kiske/prime time Tate.   In many respects they are almost the same but in others it's like night and day for me.  And I love high pitched vocals.

It will be interesting to see what you guys think of the upcoming feature band in the next podcast. They're on another level musically and for my taste they blow stuff like Lancer out of the water but our tastes aren't always 100% in sync are they?  :)

Anyway.................I did enjoy Future Millenia but still not sure if I will check out the album as I know I will struggle with some of it. 

I see Tim's favourite music vid as a 13 yo was Run To The Hills.  A few weeks after I turned 13 a video called Boys came out by a very talented vocalist called Sabrina.  That was my favourite music video (sound down)  as a 13 year old.  :metal
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:11:21 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au