Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896524 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
wow, that is an 80's throwback if I've ever seen one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I know this is completely random and out of left field, but:  Last night, for some reason I got the urge to listen to Warrant's cover of Train, Train.  So I grabbed Cherry Pie and popped it in this morning on the drive in to work.  On some of the songs, I was really struck by what a good songwriter and lyricist Jani Lane was.  Of course, on others, I was struck by his complete lack of maturity.  :lol  But then again, as with a lot of bands of that era, with Warrant, you knew exactly what you were getting, so if you didn't want to hear songs about partying and chicks, best to look somewhere else.  But anyhow, I just couldn't help but appreciate.  Jani wasn't ever really known as a guitar player.  And yet, that album is full of fairly complex (for that genre) layered guitar riffs and melodies.  And he was also gifted at telling very vivid stories with fairly sparse lyrics.  I mean, if you look at Uncle Tom's Cabin, I Saw Red, or Bed of Roses, none of those are lyrically dense.  And yet, with relatively few words, each really takes the listener on a journey and tells a story that feels a lot longer than it is.  I have to say, the man was pretty talented at his craft.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
When I think Train Train, I think Blackfoot!

Can't say I've ever heard a Warrant album, though Uncle Tom's cabin is fantastic.
I saw Warrant twice, in both an arena and a club in '89 and they were AWESOME live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I know this is completely random and out of left field, but:  Last night, for some reason I got the urge to listen to Warrant's cover of Train, Train.  So I grabbed Cherry Pie and popped it in this morning on the drive in to work.  On some of the songs, I was really struck by what a good songwriter and lyricist Jani Lane was.  Of course, on others, I was struck by his complete lack of maturity.  :lol  But then again, as with a lot of bands of that era, with Warrant, you knew exactly what you were getting, so if you didn't want to hear songs about partying and chicks, best to look somewhere else.  But anyhow, I just couldn't help but appreciate.  Jani wasn't ever really known as a guitar player.  And yet, that album is full of fairly complex (for that genre) layered guitar riffs and melodies.  And he was also gifted at telling very vivid stories with fairly sparse lyrics.  I mean, if you look at Uncle Tom's Cabin, I Saw Red, or Bed of Roses, none of those are lyrically dense.  And yet, with relatively few words, each really takes the listener on a journey and tells a story that feels a lot longer than it is.  I have to say, the man was pretty talented at his craft.

Agreed - didn't get enough credit as a songwriter.

Ode To Tipper Gore is fantastic too :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Uncle Toms Cabin is one of, if not the best, song of the entire hair metal era.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I think Uncle Toms Cabin is one of, if not the best, song of the entire hair metal era.

I could probably try, but there's really not much to contest this with.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I've ever heard a Warrant song besides Cherry Pie, true story.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jorn - Life on Death Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8QOk3xLSvg

Not too bad.  You can hear Sinner and DelViccho wrote this.  Alex doing his Sykes impersonation again haha.  Gus G owns him though I gotta say.  Solos fucking galore though, hallelujah!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
From the Caption Thread:

First time Kade heard Winger.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, for the first time in my life, I've listened to Warrant's Cherry Pie.

They came out at a time when a million bands that looked just like them did. There was a mega rush of these bands to ride Bon Jovi's coattails.

The only tracks by them I heard were Cherry Pie and Uncle Tom's Cabin. I like UT'sC well enough but figured it was an outlier.
I've never said a bad word about Warrant because as I said, they were fantastic live. Not fantastic enough for me to get into them, but fantastic enough to earn my respect.

After listening to the album, I'll at least say it doesn't suck. Not what I would've been into back then, but it's really not as bad album, considering the shiite that came out back then.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You guys should also check out Dog Eat Dog .....one of the very few hair metal bands who managed to darken up their sound to meet the grunge era and succeeded in producing a strong effort.   There's even a few really nice songs on Ultraphobic but they were moving a bit too far away from their traditional sound at that point .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You guys should also check out Dog Eat Dog .....
...I will.

EDIT:

Just had a quick run though. Definitely not what I expected. Very cool.

Inside Out  :metal
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:39:10 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not quite as good a job at "darkening" up their image  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What the f'n fuck is that?? :lol

Now THAT is what I call Radiation Romeos!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You guys should also check out Dog Eat Dog .....one of the very few hair metal bands who managed to darken up their sound to meet the grunge era and succeeded in producing a strong effort.   There's even a few really nice songs on Ultraphobic but they were moving a bit too far away from their traditional sound at that point .

Agreed... mostly.  I don't consider Dog Eat Dog going dark/grungy.  I consider the sound switch between Cherry Pie and Dog Eat Dog very akin to Skid Row's transition from S/T to Slave to the Grind.  In both cases, they just went heavy as hell - for 'glam metal' standards.  DED had everything - radio accessible tunes (despite not getting a lot of airplay), ballads, killer riffs, and some pounding rhythm.

Damn, I might just have to give it a spin right now.  :2metal:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't say that I think Dog Eat Dog is grungy - just that they darkened/heavied up their sound (and image................fail :lol  ) to adjust to the way things were changing and I would stick by that. Having said that there are some songs on DED that would fit just fine on Cherry Pie , so I get what you're saying.

Ultraphobic took it to the next more obvious level but yeah.............DED was very much like Slave To The Grind in that they were both heavier, transition albums into a more overtly dark/grungy tone that still managed to hold on to the better qualities of their earlier , more radio friendly material. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
1992 was such a strange time in metal. Dream Theater really rescued the 90's for me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
1992 was such a strange time in metal. Dream Theater really rescued the 90's for me.

Pretty much the same for me , along with Talisman and a few other lesser known prog metal bands .  There were so many big fails around then (and a few great bands that got dropped from labels in the blink of an eye when Nirvana hit) but it was also the time when I enjoyed treasure hunting for the few good things that were being released.

My interest in new material from DT dropped away "bigly" with FII and never really properly recovered until ADTOE.  Images and Words was just impossible to follow up and producing a gem like that so early makes it hard to keep up momentum.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A lot of those early 90's albums have aged really well, even though I was quite skeptical at the time. Things like Metallica's TBA, Megadeth's Youthanasia, QR's Empire. Helloween's Pink Bubbles. Dio disappeared for 3 years after Wolves.

I spent the end of 1992 through 1997 listening almost exclusively to Dream Theater. that is until FII came out, which I thought was a total sellout. I didn't need an internet back then to tell me that either.

Towards the turn of the 90's/00's decade I was looking for a new band to get into. That's when I discovered Hammerfall. I found Legacy Of Kings and it totally knocked me out. They were like a great 80's metal cover band playing originals. I know they are the butt of many a joke, but their first three albums are excellent. Then you know what...seemed all of the bands that they were emulating started huge comebacks. Saxon, Accept.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I did very little musical discovery between 92-96... I was at Uni, busy with a lot of other things, and just entrenched in my classic/rock/glam tastes of the 70s and 80s.  Shortly after grad, in late '96, I discovered DT, and that set me on a brief musical discovery period.  Then I met mrs.jingle, and shit ground to a halt again.  Then marriage and kids, and it wasn't until Napster in the early 2000s that I started rediscovering music.  For some reason, 2005-ish was when I really became the music-aholic that I am today.  I remember discovering Spock's Beard (because of the segment in 8vm/Full Circle - "Day for Night"), Angra, Nightwish, Rhapsody and some others and realizing 'shit, there is some kick-ass music from all over the world.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I did very little musical discovery between 92-96... I was at Uni

that's a big part of why I DID lots of music disovery during that period.  I was at Uni too and in the recreation areas where I spent way too much time playing pool it was a fucking non stop rotation of Smells Like Teen Spirit and RHCp's Under The Bridge (I really grew to hate that song  >:( ) and so the minute I left the place I was thinking about finding something decent to listen to  ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:23:42 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zoom E

This one?

Awesome!! I see it has One Night At Budokan. That is an awesome live album. Both MSG and Budokan feature Cozy Powell.

My favorite part of On And On is actually Paul Raymond's keys throughout the entire song, especially the end.

The debut has a strange feel. Simon Phillips' drumming, while precise, just doesn't fit. Those songs are so much better on Budokan.

There's a re-release of the remastered expanded version of Budokan coming out on June 2nd.

Not too excited about the 11 minute drum solo, but I'm going buy a copy of this for the bonus tracks and expanded versions of songs.  :metal
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:44:07 PM by Zoom E »

Offline Lowdz

Similar for me but a few years later. In the early 90s there were plenty of great albums coming out but they were harder to find and were mail order purchases. The local cool music shop had died as bigger chains moved in.
I bought a lot of shit in the mid to late 90s but I also played the hell out of my decent old collection too.

That 3rd wave of 80s metal bands had a lot of promise but the times had changed.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
In the early 90s I started studying and got a decent sidejob. So suddenly I had much more money at hand than during my school years and I spent a fairly large amount in building my music collection. I discovered music everywhere and not just melodic rock and metal as I also really liked those "grunge" and alternative bands like Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Rage Against The Machine, Clawfinger etc.

I think I never bought that many cds than in the early 90s, new ones of bands I've just discovered and older ones to fill the gaps in discographies of favorite bands. And when Images & Words came along it blew me away. And I'm also one of those that really liked Falling Into Infinity. Up until Systematic Chaos I bought everything DT related on release day and went to every DT concert in the vicinity, saw them about 15 times. I'm still a big fan but not that obsessed than I was back then.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This one?

Awesome!! I see it has One Night At Budokan. That is an awesome live album. Both MSG and Budokan feature Cozy Powell.

My favorite part of On And On is actually Paul Raymond's keys throughout the entire song, especially the end.

The debut has a strange feel. Simon Phillips' drumming, while precise, just doesn't fit. Those songs are so much better on Budokan.

There's a re-release of the remastered expanded version of Budokan coming out on June 2nd.

Not too excited about the 11 minute drum solo, but I'm going buy a copy of this for the bonus tracks and expanded versions of songs.  :metal

Thank you for the heads up, but I cannot find any details on the extra tracks.

Offline Lowdz

The version available on Amazon has the Ride of the Valkyries, drum solo and Tales of Mystery.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So really just one extra tune?

I mean getting the full Cozy solo is fine, and I assume the took the stage to Ride Of The Valkries? Does that even count as an extra tune??

I love Tales Of Mystery. Schenker is fantastic on that. Classic.

I was hoping the Remaster would've included Rock Bottom. That lineup did a great version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oZ_aw4L1oQ
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 06:41:20 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I reference The Living Room in Providence quite a bit. I have posted a bunch of pics from shows I saw there, mostly while in college.
Saw GnR there shortly after Appetite came out. Helloween, Saxon, UFO, Armored Saint. Bruce Dickinson, Flotsam & Jetsam, Jon Butcher, Gary Moore, Ace Frehley..

When I was in high school, I remember Bon Jovi, Metallica, Y&T, amongst others, all playing there.

I remember a buddy of mine and I got so drunk before a Mr. Big show there, they wouldn't even let us in! :lol

It was a dumpy old sardine can on the lot of some old warehouses.

I found a video on youtube of a band called Enforcer, whoever the hell they are....but after watching the video  :metal playing there in 1990. This video actually makes the stage look bigger than it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuaRrQwg_xY

About a month later, I would see Bruce Dickinson's Tattooed Millionaire tour on that stage.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:38:55 PM by TAC »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I've seen Enforcer with Dark Tranquility here. Didn't know they were around that long.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What's the capacity of the Living Room?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
From the Caption Thread:

First time Kade heard Winger.

Yep, very accurate.  Yes Tim, it's that big!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
On that note I hope you have an exciting birthday Kade  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
On that note I hope you have an exciting birthday Kade  ;D

Nice! Gotta give the man his own thread!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Happy Birthday Wolfster!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns