Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901414 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I'm interested to hear what you guys think are the best books out there related to this genre (or any genre really).  Band bios, former member tell-alls, overviews of metal/rock/other genres as a whole, autobiographies, etc.

What are some of the best you've read?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The best rock star auto bio I've ever read was Duff McKagen's first book, It's So Easy (and Other Lies). Amazing.
The worst was probably Ace Frehley's No Regrets.

Although I'm a huge Alice Cooper fan, his Golf Monster is excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I've generally enjoyed Martin Popoff's rock and metal books. Their not, strictly speaking, biographies though. Kinda

https://www.martinpopoff.com/html/welcome.html
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've generally enjoyed Martin Popoff's rock and metal books. Their not, strictly speaking, biographies though. Kinda

https://www.martinpopoff.com/html/welcome.html

Going to assume you have the UFO one!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Actually, TAC, I don't.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually own the UFO one, but I generally get my books from the library. A shame his books aren't in my library network.

I haven't been on Poppoff's site in quite a while, but I found his books too expensive to buy outright.

Offline cfmoran13

I would assume it's tough to write a good autobiography when you can't remember 90% what you experienced.  I remember him saying he needed "help" from a lot of other people to "remember" things.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I would assume it's tough to write a good autobiography when you can't remember 90% what you experienced.  I remember him saying he needed "help" from a lot of other people to "remember" things.

I think what makes an autobiography effective is that, although they all use authors to help them write, you can basically feel the artist's "voice" telling the story. Reading the Ace book, the way it's written, you're thinking there is no way this is Ace speaking.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Actually, TAC, I don't.  :lol

I'm happy to send it out to you if you would like to read it.

Offline Imaginos

I really enjoyed Aerosmith's Walk this Way book, and I just finished reading The Replacements' bio, Trouble Boys, which was fantastic. Granted I'm a big fan of both bands, but I think the story of both bands is pretty interesting regardless.

Anyone know if Scott Ian's book is any good? I've been wanting to read it for a while and I figure it would be pretty good, but I guess it could suck or something.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Alice Cooper is touring OZ in October (with Ace Frehley as support) but $170+   :-\

Hate to think what the various levels of VIP packages were setting people back - all gone already prior to tix on sale so it seems you needed to know someone  (EDIT : presale was only open to Velocity Frequent Flyer members  ::)  )

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
My buddy bought a Alice Cooper VIP package a few years back and he said he paid $500. This included a ticket and 10 minutes of one on one time with Alice and you could get anything signed. He said he was so nervous he just smiled and stammered for the entire time and Alice had to prompt him to say anything. My buddy said it was completely worth it.

He said only a handful of people bought the VIP tickets as this was a show that Cooper was opening up for the Crue.

But Alice just comes across as such a legit nice guy. I wonder how he was to deal with in the 70's and early 80's when he was out to lunch 24 hours a day.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:55:51 AM by jjrock88 »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I listen to his radio show on the way home most nights and he is just super chill, love him.

$170 is a bit steep though Brent.  Don't think I could pay that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My buddy bought a Alice Cooper VIP package a few years back and he said he paid $500. This included a ticket and 10 minutes of one on one time with Alice and you could get anything signed. He said he was so nervous he just smiled and stammered for the entire time and Alice had to prompt him to say anything. My buddy said it was completely worth it.

He said only a handful of people bought the VIP tickets as this was a show that Cooper was opening up for the Crue.

But Alice just comes across as such a legit nice guy. I wonder how he was to deal with in the 70's and early 80's when he was out to lunch 24 hours a day.

That is worth it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Went to meet Alice literally 20 years ago. Here I am shaking his hand:

As you can tell, I was so freaking happy. I had him sign two CD covers, Go To Hell and Zipper Catches Skin. He took one look at the ZCS cover and asked where did I ever find it, and that he didn't even remember making it. He was very cool!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim it looks like you are meeting Alice in an old wooden shack and this picture is take seconds before you are attacked by Jason Voorhees.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New show for you guys - have been through the detail before.  Theme is "hard rock rarities" with artists from #-B's .   Often bands don't make it big for a reason but these are some of the best that possibly could've with a bit more luck.  A bit wimpy/glammy in parts for some but there's a decent amount of melodic metal in amongst it and a smattering of the bigger names (in the same alphabetical order) as well.

https://yadi.sk/d/umAMRDez3HRyAA

As per usual , indexed in the OP for future reference.  Will get around to posting a tracklist doc at some point too , but it should be pretty easy to follow with each band getting an intro.   Ben played up plenty on this show too (and plenty more cut out).  ::)

Nice photo Tim :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tim it looks like you are meeting Alice in an old wooden shack and this picture is take seconds before you are attacked by Jason Voorhees.
:rollin

You don't know how close that is to the truth.

Every year, around Halloween (this was Oct '96) there was this thing called Spooky World. It had horror movie stars, make up artists, etc all make appearences.  Pretty sure Jason (the guy who played him) was there one year. Anyway, the year Alice went, we HAD to go.

So yeah, it was like meeting him out in the wood shed. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nice photo Tim :)

Thanks Brent! I freaking LOVE Alice Cooper. Love him.

Will D-load tomorrow after work. Thank you!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I really enjoyed Aerosmith's Walk this Way book, and I just finished reading The Replacements' bio, Trouble Boys, which was fantastic. Granted I'm a big fan of both bands, but I think the story of both bands is pretty interesting regardless.

Anyone know if Scott Ian's book is any good? I've been wanting to read it for a while and I figure it would be pretty good, but I guess it could suck or something.

I keep checking my library network for Ian's book.

You mentioned Aerosmith. Did you read Joe Perry's book? He said that in the 70's he didn't really partake in backstage activities with um..girls. He would just go back to his room and practice his guitar. C'mon! I call bullshit. I realize he doesn't want to offend his wife and all, but...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Extremely unlikely Joe

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Downloading podcast.  Hope to get to it this weekend, but tomorrow is filled with a shit-ton of excellent releases.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
This will be a cool podcast.  It's still hard to comprehend what Brent will classify as rarities lol

How do the rest of us stand a chance of knowing any of these songs!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And is anyone else picking up the new live Fates Warning?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I was there.  Wasn't a fan of them back then, so it really doesn't resonate with me.  I recognize that it's a big f'n deal for most FW fans, but not so much for me.

:dunno:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yes. Looking forward to hearing modern (Jarzombek) version of ATG.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.

Yes. Looking forward to hearing modern (Jarzombek) version of ATG.

He's not playing it. It's the drummer for ATG.

Mine arrives today, I hope. I pre-ordered from Metal Blade. Got the deluxe book.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Zimmerman? Oh OK. Thank you for clearing that up. Still, this should sound far better then the studio version.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll probably pick that Fates Warning up if I see it.  Will download the podcast hopefully tonight.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Dream Evil.  Nothing new from them really, standard stuff.  Funny video though;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVcISveC6gI

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Was that a pickle in the cat box?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Dream Evil.  Nothing new from them really, standard stuff.  Funny video though;

I like the tune well enough. But that video cannot be unseen.

Offline Imaginos

I keep checking my library network for Ian's book.

You mentioned Aerosmith. Did you read Joe Perry's book? He said that in the 70's he didn't really partake in backstage activities with um..girls. He would just go back to his room and practice his guitar. C'mon! I call bullshit. I realize he doesn't want to offend his wife and all, but...

I've read most of Joe's book but I haven't finished it. I don't know, I kind of believe him, maybe I'm naďve

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

What it the holy hell did I just watch??  @ 1:20, did Tater join the band?

Also - Metal is Forever from Primal Fear DVD ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q73Zao79sWI

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Also - Metal is Forever from Primal Fear DVD ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q73Zao79sWI

It really pisses me off that Alex plays the solo for this song when the guy that actually played the solo on the album is on the other side of the stage.  WTF?!