Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 902124 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
And yet I have barely managed to find a review on the Eclipse that isn't a 10/10.   :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And yet I have barely managed to find a review on the Eclipse that isn't a 10/10.   :-\

Fuckin' serious?  I don't even want to look.  I listened to it three times too to make sure. 

With albums like this being released, I'm seriously just thinking to myself while listening, "What's the point?"  Seriously, what's the point?  DO bands not want to challenge themselves anymore or try something different?  Or has it become just a job where it's the same thing wrapped up and spewed out again and again.

I'm losing faith in a lot of these bands, and I'm not sure what can save me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
When you look at it from someone like Martensson's point of view (or even Magnus as well) -  when someone like Frontiers are willing to pay you well for product (and to contribute to other projects , thus further diluting your output)   and it's doing decent numbers and getting 100% ratings all over the place , where is the motivation to take your time and produce something that isn't more of the same?

Without labels like Frontiers the whole scene would likely be dead as far as new product goes , but their business model of churning out so much product isn't conducive to albums with any wow factor or staying power.   Most of the better artists are diluting themselves all over the place and spend most of their lives touring too , which doesn't help .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
When you look at it from someone like Martensson's point of view (or even Magnus as well) -  when someone like Frontiers are willing to pay you well for product (and to contribute to other projects , thus further diluting your output)   and it's doing decent numbers and getting 100% ratings all over the place , where is the motivation to take your time and produce something that isn't more of the same?

Without labels like Frontiers the whole scene would likely be dead as far as new product goes , but their business model of churning out so much product isn't conducive to albums with any wow factor or staying power.   Most of the better artists are diluting themselves all over the place and spend most of their lives touring too , which doesn't help .

Yeah, I get all that, but it's just a shame that people can't wake up and say that something maybe be too generic and not worth while.  Looking at some reviews now, you can see them turning it on.  I guess they would be in on it too.  Sites giving stuff honest reviews obviously would be bad for sales so the more as time goes on, the more this genre is getting as bad as the mainstream pop world if you ask me.

One site says album of the year?!  WTF?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I totally agree - just playing devil's advocate.  As a musician I would struggle to play all those songs that sound the bloody same without being bored as hell.  I would probably struggle to remember which song is which :lol     But this is coming from the guy that took 4 years to produce a 5 track EP back in the day   ;D  ::)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I totally agree - just playing devil's advocate.  As a musician I would struggle to play all those songs that sound the bloody same without being bored as hell.  I would probably struggle to remember which song is which :lol     But this is coming from the guy that took 4 years to produce a 5 track EP back in the day   ;D  ::)

But that's what I think I'd like to see.  I think I'd rather see bands do for example a Metallica and take 5+ to put out a new album if it's filled with quality and some creativity.  If you can hear the effort and the band doing something that they've put a lot of work into, it would make it much more enjoyable, for me anyway.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

But that's what I think I'd like to see.  I think I'd rather see bands do for example a Metallica and take 5+ to put out a new album if it's filled with quality and some creativity.  If you can hear the effort and the band doing something that they've put a lot of work into, it would make it much more enjoyable, for me anyway.

For sure - but I am guessing that guys like Erik and Magnus don't make enough from touring to do that.   In Metallica's case they have the capital behind them to take 5 years and these days make far more from touring than albums sales.  At the tiny end I am guessing that they need all these small advances and writing credits from multiple projects to keep the ball rolling.   Musically I would imagine that they'd be far more satisfied if they were able to take their time a bit more.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
btw Kade , just got word that Kreator are touring.  Brissie date is Sept 10th at "The Zoo"

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

For sure - but I am guessing that guys like Erik and Magnus don't make enough from touring to do that.   In Metallica's case they have the capital behind them to take 5 years and these days make far more from touring than albums sales.  At the tiny end I am guessing that they need all these small advances and writing credits from multiple projects to keep the ball rolling.   Musically I would imagine that they'd be far more satisfied if they were able to take their time a bit more.

Good points mate.

btw Kade , just got word that Kreator are touring.  Brissie date is Sept 10th at "The Zoo"

Hmm....I'm not a massive fan but the new album is killer, might be worth it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Anyone check this one out yet?  I haven't heard anything from their back catalog, so I have nothing to compare against.  I enjoyed it plenty on 1st spin last night

Pretty straight forward metal... 11 tracks; 43 minutes.  Musically, it kinda gave me a Pretty Maids vibe.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Never heard of them. Unless it's from Frontiers, or has been posted in this thread or the melodic rock one, it's probably slipped under the radar.
Checked out the single Undead on Youtube, not bad at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
It is on Spotify, therefore I shall listen to it tomorrow.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of them. Unless it's from Frontiers, or has been posted in this thread or the melodic rock one, it's probably slipped under the radar.
Checked out the single Undead on Youtube, not bad at all.

I'm not saying it was bad, but it was the worst from the album (imo).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Anyone check this one out yet?  I haven't heard anything from their back catalog, so I have nothing to compare against.  I enjoyed it plenty on 1st spin last night

Enjoyed in on 1st listen. That was last week. Actually don't remember what I heard. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmmm.....just listened to the song Undead and I thought it was pretty crap.  Horrid lyrics.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmmm.....just listened to the song Undead and I thought it was pretty crap.  Horrid lyrics.

I would say that I was unimpressed when they released that as a single, but the rest of the album was MUCH better.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't remember what I heard sucking.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sure it wasn't Mrs. TAC?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nope. THAT I would remember! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The song was Undead, terrible IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

The song was Undead, terrible IMO.

I sampled one track (can't remember which) and didn't take it any further.  Might revisit.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't like it either.

Lets get back to the classic metal boys

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't like it either.

Lets get back to the classic metal boys

Fine, I'll go away before you taunt me another time.  You go listen to your Megadeth's, and your Anthrax's, and your Testament's ... I'll go head over to the Modern Prog/Metal thread where all the cool kids hang out.

And by "all", I mean "none of".

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Chad please stay!

Offline ozzy554

New Danzig song is out and my god the production is AWFUL. It sounds like they accidentally released the demo.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just wanted to post this.  It's an excerpt from an interview I just read from Soilwork's Bjorn Strid.  Lately myself and a few others have brought up the topic of not finding new music blowing our socks off, and a lot of us just happy to listen to so much new stuff and see what's next.  I thought it might have been me or something that was changing inside of me as I get older or as priorities change, but then I read this;

On whether he would get tired of playing melodic death metal in SOILWORK if he didn't have his classic rock-oriented THE NIGHT FLIGHT ORCHESTRA side project:

Björn: "If it wouldn't be that, it would be something else. I'm a metalhead, but I'm also a rocker, so I'm 50/50. I think it's really good for me. Plus, I think I've developed a lot as a singer through that band and I've brought it with me to SOILWORK as well. But no, I can get sick of the metal scene sometimes because I don't really find that many new bands that have something unique to say, but then again, sometimes you run across some bands and you're like, 'Wow, this is amazing!' I don't want to be cynical about it at all. I'm just having a hard time finding interesting stuff, but when I do, I promote the hell out of it for sure. I still really enjoy performing and writing melodic death metal. It's fun because…we can still evolve as a band. We keep doing that and I think we still have so much to say."

Wow, rings so true.  Not a big deal but sort of gave me some peace of mind on how a lot of us have been feeling over the last year or two.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
So this weekend marks another year of the M3 festival for me (lineup posted in that thread), and the band opening the show on Friday is a band from NYC called Station.  They're in a similar vein to the 80's hard rock vibe of the festival, so I thought I'd mention them for you guys to check out and see if they're of any interest to you.  Here's their YouTube page, where they've got several "official music videos" to check out.  I'm digging the hell out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO0NakTczwicSjJtG84mkmg

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty fun tunes, Coz.

On the "Dressed to Kill" video, she should have brought him a sammich at the end!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Saw Fifth Angel over the weekend up in Seattle. Great gig.

Seven Hours -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBqedFxjx18

The singer of Fifth Angel is Peter Orullian, who is writing the novel adaption of The Astonishing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
The singer of Fifth Angel is Peter Orullian, who is writing the novel adaption of The Astonishing.

I keep forgetting about that connection!  Did he drop any nuggets or news you can share?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Saw Fifth Angel over the weekend up in Seattle. Great gig.

Seven Hours -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBqedFxjx18

Brian, was this just a one off show or are they touring more?  And studio news?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.

I keep forgetting about that connection!  Did he drop any nuggets or news you can share?

I asked how it was going, but didn't want to pry too much. It was after a rehearsal (a damn good one), and were relaxing a bit, talking about other things. But sounds like it is coming along nicely. Like all of us, he's a Dream Theater fan, so he's obviously going to make sure it is done right. :)

Brian, was this just a one off show or are they touring more?  And studio news?

They are playing the Keep it True Festival in Germany this coming weekend. The Seattle gig was a warm up. No plans yet for future dates. Fifth Angel is a band, but everyone has jobs. Fifth Angel isn't really their sole "gig," as it were. But they have a mountain of material for a new record. They did back in 2010 as well. And Peter is no slouch, lyric-wise, obviously. So I guess it'll just be on them to figure out how to prioritize new tunes.

It was pretty awesome on Saturday though. Original singer Ted Pilot was in the audience and hung out afterward to see the band, and take pics with folks. It was really a nice circular moment. Ted's always given his blessing for Fifth Angel to move on, so to have him come down and root them on was pretty special.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

Nita Strauss' new band. Is it just me or does it sound like everyone is playing a different song? Managed about 30 seconds.

https://youtu.be/D-0brh0DuJY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nita Strauss' new band. Is it just me or does it sound like everyone is playing a different song? Managed about 30 seconds.

https://youtu.be/D-0brh0DuJY

NEXT!!!!!

Seriously, We Start Wars??  :rollin