Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 901993 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Give it a shot Brent. It's heavy and might be a bit modern for 95, but definitely not grungy. Trust me, they didn't follow Dokken and that Shadowlife horse shit.

What do you rate the first two albums?

Never rated them as such Jay.  If I did I think I may rate the debut higher mostly due to consistency-  there's nothing bad on it IMO.   Slave quite possibly has higher highs and lower lows which would likely mean a lower score as there are a couple that I would class as filler.  Both 90%+ albums though I would say.

Back in the days of doing my DTF Top 50 I chose the debut so I suppose that is an indication , after I had put some thought into it .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
s/t and STTG are an unbelievable 1-2 punch for debut and sophomore albums.  S/T was #10 I think (maybe 11) on my Top 50.  I remember being shocked all to hell at the heaviness of STTG, but eventually coming to love it.  Subhuman Race... meh.  Never followed another thing after that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Those first two Skid Row albums kick ass. I just wish the first album had better production. If it had the production of STTG, I'd listen to it a lot more. Both consistently great albums though.

I was going to say solid, but that word has been sullied the past page or so. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I am hoping that I can coax Mr Ben into the "studio" to add his dulcet tones to the latest show over the Easter weekend and we should have something for you in the next week.

I am listening to the bare bones of the show right now and I'm reasonably confident that it'll go down pretty well.  A bit too much glammy rock for some but no doubt others will lap it up.  There's certainly a fair dose of metal too though.

As I have said before the focus is on exposing you to the better rarities of the 80's and 90's in the melodic hard rock space........I have included stuff from the harder edges of AOR through to the more melodic end of metal.   I have littered the show with some of the bigger bands too (all in alphabetical order) to add to the retro feel of the show for those of you who many not know any of the rarities.   Hopefully it'll bring back some memories for most.  By definition the average quality isn't going to be quite as good as a show featuring all the big names but there are plenty of "shoulda been big" bands in there that were very unlucky.  And that means plenty from that 91-94 period.

The new show will cover bands starting with #, A and B   - to make things easier for me where a solo artist is involved I have just indexed using their first name.

There's also a nice little rarity of a live show at the end that Ben has added for you all.

Download available soon........

PS  Each band gets their own special intro so it's TAC friendly  :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:57:00 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Giggity.  Mrs.Jingle is going away next week, so I'll have all the free time in the world - including taking the dogs out for walks solo with just my headphones - so this will be great.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Giggity.  Mrs.Jingle is going away next week, so I'll have all the free time in the world - including taking the dogs out for walks solo with just my headphones - so this will be great.

You can also crank Harem Scarem and Hardline as loud as you want in your house while eating pizza in your underwear!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I love the one-two punch of Riot Act and Mudkicker
Mudkicker SLAYS.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

You can also crank Harem Scarem and Hardline as loud as you want in your house while eating pizza in your underwear!

Only if you come over to join me.   :rollin

:umno:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
PS  Each band gets their own special intro so it's TAC friendly  :neverusethis:

;D

That's what they call a "reasonable accommodation".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Those first two Skid Row albums kick ass. I just wish the first album had better production. If it had the production of STTG, I'd listen to it a lot more. Both consistently great albums though.

I was going to say solid, but that word has been sullied the past page or so. :lol

Liked the debut, but didn't rate STTG, other than a couple of songs.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Liked the debut, but didn't rate STTG, other than a couple of songs.

Have you only heard a couple of songs from it Paul?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Both Paul and Tim need to get together for a Skid Row listening party

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I am hoping that I can coax Mr Ben into the "studio" 

Speaking of Master Ben, I had to laugh when I heard the beginning of this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQzRibHbQc

Offline Lowdz

Both Paul and Tim need to get together for a Skid Row listening party

I've heard it all, just prefer the debut. I didn't get it back in the day because the style of the STTG single put me off. I think Sebastian 's personality put me off too, like with Axl.
When I did get it years later I did like some of it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

The live show at Wacken sounds entertaining. Hopefully another bluray.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Trailer for Jorn's album - https://www.facebook.com/frontiersmusicsrl/videos/1364301183625929/

I am cautiously optimistic.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hard to judge too much from such short snippets at crap compression quality, but I very much liked everything I was hearing. The production sounds rockin' too. Colour me excited.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, those snippits were so short but it's already sounding like the plod is long gone. Bring it on.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Man, those snippits were so short but it's already sounding like the plod is long gone. Bring it on.

Exactly. Color me "not-meh"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Get this into ya!!

The Ferrymen (Magnus Karlsson) - End of the Road video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY9M3x42ADg

Fucking good!!  Magnus bringing the balls and heaviness that is much needed that we have been missing lately.  Reminds me a lot of Last Tribe actually, but darker, espcially in the solo section.

You can hear who has been the mastermind behind the last couple of Primal Fear albums too.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:31:05 AM by wolfking »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
It was ok. The drums were distractingly sloppy to me though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It was ok. The drums were distractingly sloppy to me though.

Why does this comment not shock me?  I love Terrana's drumming!  :lol

After listening to it 3 times, I love it.  Wasn't that big on Lords of Black, but Ronnie is killing it here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've managed to listen to a few new releases that have slipped by this week and will have some honest thoughts in the coming days.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure why Terrana feels the need to do 80's drumstick tricks at this point but eh...........whatever :lol

I would say I like the song but wouldn't rave.  The riffing and chorus is pretty generic stuff - the solo section was a step up.   I don't feel that the song has the "personality" of any of the best Allen/Lande material but it's promising enough to keep my interest.  Like almost everything these days I am struggling to find much about it that I haven't heard a million times before.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure why Terrana feels the need to do 80's drumstick tricks at this point but eh...........whatever :lol

I would say I like the song but wouldn't rave.  The riffing and chorus is pretty generic stuff - the solo section was a step up.   I don't feel that the song has the "personality" of any of the best Allen/Lande material but it's promising enough to keep my interest.  Like almost everything these days I am struggling to find much about it that I haven't heard a million times before.

Thought that about Terrana too.  He loves it.  :lol

I guess it's the Magnus fanboy coming out in me, but I like the darker and heavier vibe to it.  The solo section is definitely amazing too.

I think if you expect Allen/Lande quality from him these days Brent you're always going to be disappointed.  Magnus has slipped into the somewhat generic writing style over the years to churn out tunes, but definitely not as much as most of the others, and even his rehashed stuff is better than most, but I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Your last sentence is something I exactly thought when checking out these new releases too but I'll get into that later.  It's feeling like a dead end these days but this project has the guitar work, edge and heaviness to hopefully be a winner.

Offline Lowdz

I wasn't wowed by this one - and I've been excited for it. Pretty generic Magnus stuff. Agreed about the solo section though I didn't think the widdley bit after the slow bit fit very well. Still, I've only listened The once.

Getting excited for DT in Manchester tonight 😀🤘🎸🎹😀

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Have a great time tonight Paul!!   :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Have a great time tonight Paul!!   :metal

Yeah ... Lucky bastard! 

Re Ferrymen... It was pretty good. I'm with Paul/Brent in that I wasnt wow'd, buy I'm definitely still eagerly anticipating this.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully there is still a chance that Magnus gets involved in the upcoming Allen/Lande release, whenever that will be.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully there is still a chance that Magnus gets involved in the upcoming Allen/Lande release, whenever that will be.

Fingers crossed mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Have caught up with a few new releases that I have been interested in checking out.  Years ago, these would probably be instant buys, but times change and to be honest, I'm not seeing much point in shelling out for cd's anymore that I'm not going to love and have on repeat, and these days, that doesn't happen much anymore.  Money obviously becomes more of a priority as you get older too.  Anywho.....

Place Vendome - I loved the first three albums.  Each one was different and worthwhile, even though the debut is better than the second two put together.  This one was okay but has the standard Frontiers generic affair feel to it.  I can see what Tim is saying regarding Kiske.  He sounds weird in places and some of these songs don't really fit his voice.  It does sound like he doesn't give a shit either.  Some great guitar work obviously when you see who's involved but overall it just feels so thrown together and manufactured.  There is some good songs here though but I find the ballads pretty crap. I'll give it some spins though cause it is Kiske and obviously other favs involved (Hansen, Karlsson) and see how it goes.

Sinner - This isn't bad.  Mat really loves his Thin Lizzy.  Some great melodies and excellent guitar work too.  Probably too many songs though as my attention drifted towards the end.  Nothing new and even though it's pretty decent, there is nothing here that would probably make me come back to it much.

Blaze Bayley - Now this is surprisingly really good.  Blaze is a real fighter and is always honest with what he does but his lack of support and budget has hurt him over time with his output.  The last one was some solid metal but the mix was awful with Blaze's vocals too loud and the whole thing sounded quite cheap which was a shame, but this one is much more balanced and the songs are really enjoyable.  No nonsense heavy metal and Blaze sounds good here and the production and mix is simple but really nice.  It's not overly bloated with filler either and Blaze knows what he is capable of and puts out a great record.  It's still no match on his first two albums, but what is?  This might be something that I would keep coming back to, I really liked it.

House of Lords - Ehh.....I only made through three quarters of this one.  Too fucking soft and generic.  I really liked the last album as it had some balls but this one, granted I didn't listen to the whole thing, just did nothing for me.  The band sounds neutered here.  Nothing new here and nothing making me want to listen to it again, and it just sounds so watered down.

Eclipse - Saved this one for last.  I'm starting to really think that Martensson is taking the piss now.  Every project he's done has become more of the same simple, generic, rehashed and recycled junk over and over.  Every intro, every chorus, every guitar melody, has just all been done over and over.   Does he have absolutely nothing different to offer up?  The last one was the same but at least it had good choruses, this one doesn't, or I just don't give a shit.  I loved this band with Are You Ready to Rock and Bleed and Scream and first WET and the Toby Hitchcock are two of the best melodic rock albums out there and to see him run out of ideas and come up with this to me, is just insulting.  Sorry Erik, can't give you any of my money, You are robbing everyone blind here.