Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906362 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Looking forward to The Ferrymen, not so much the Jorn, which is a shame.

It's a shame that we aren't getting that excited over Jorn anymore, he was the shit quite a few years ago where everything he was touching just turned to gold.

I hope The Ferrymen is more on the heavier side too.

I don't think heaviness will be a problem judging from the EPK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDBAIBacVZk

I've never been excited over a Jorn release, even though I've always enjoyed his vocals. It just seems to be the same album cranked out over and over. I'm not too excited about the lineup change, but hopefully it at least results in something different for him.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to The Ferrymen, not so much the Jorn, which is a shame.

It's a shame that we aren't getting that excited over Jorn anymore, he was the shit quite a few years ago where everything he was touching just turned to gold.

I hope The Ferrymen is more on the heavier side too.

I don't think heaviness will be a problem judging from the EPK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDBAIBacVZk

I've never been excited over a Jorn release, even though I've always enjoyed his vocals. It just seems to be the same album cranked out over and over. I'm not too excited about the lineup change, but hopefully it at least results in something different for him.

Yeah, I enjoyed what I heard in that EPK, but sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a fair representation, but given the lineup, there shouldn't be any concerns.

You're right about the Jorn, and the lineup change is a typical Frontiers shoving the usual artists together, but it might produce with more energy and perhaps more melodic, than the usual plodder type material he's been putting out.  Obviously Frontiers have perhaps listened to their customers in regards to Jorn's last few outings.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

It is The Plod that kills the Jorn albums. One paced, plodding stuff. Hopefully Alex Beyrodt brings some Whitesnake to the party from his day job.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It is The Plod that kills the Jorn albums. One paced, plodding stuff. Hopefully Alex Beyrodt brings some Whitesnake to the party from his day job.

I'm pretty sure this is the reason for the drastic lineup changes.  Might definitely get a more Whitesnake style with this lineup now on this one as Jorn thinks he is Coverdale.  Could be quite interesting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll put this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ushMc3oof-c

It's Brian May from 1993. His band was awesome, included Cozy Powell and Neil Murray.

Did I mention Cozy Powell??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I'm pretty sure this is the reason for the drastic lineup changes.  Might definitely get a more Whitesnake style with this lineup now on this one as Jorn thinks he is Coverdale.  Could be quite interesting.

He should have just joined Voodoo Circle dammit! :lol Shame they're not Frontiers though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Jorn and Voodoo Circle would have been a perfect fit

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

He should have just joined Voodoo Circle dammit! :lol Shame they're not Frontiers though.

Fuck, you're right, it's the same 4 same guys with Jorn on vox? WTF?!  :rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Fuck, you're right, it's the same 4 same guys with Jorn on vox? WTF?!  :rollin

Holy shit........... I actually hadn't realized it literally is just Voodoo Circle. :rollin

I'm not kidding, I'm seriously excited for this now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I didn't realise until your comment and I wondered, "there's like 3 members of Voodoo Cricle in this." Then I googled it and was like, "oh wait.'  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So, Satriani's new G4 tour consists of Paul Gilbert, Warren DeMartini, and.......um......Phil Collen?!?  WTF?  Am I missing something?  Brent?  Does he have a Macalpine like solo albums that I've just never heard about??

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So, Satriani's new G4 tour consists of Paul Gilbert, Warren DeMartini, and.......um......Phil Collen?!?  WTF?  Am I missing something?  Brent?  Does he have a Macalpine like solo albums that I've just never heard about??

Weird - even DeMartini is more of a vocal song player .........not sure he's going to cut it in extended improv/instrumental.   I even found that Petrucci struggled to keep up with Vai and Satch when I saw G3.

Phil Collen............well everyone will be so dazzled by his pecs that they might not notice.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just checked it out Kade and it's not a tour - it's a 5 day guitar camp/experience which makes a bit more sense.   I'm sure we could think of some better players but in that sort of thing having some different input from guys like Collen and DeMartini could be cool.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Phil Collen wearing a shirt

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Phil Collen............well everyone will be so dazzled by his pecs that they might not notice.

:lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just checked it out Kade and it's not a tour - it's a 5 day guitar camp/experience which makes a bit more sense.   I'm sure we could think of some better players but in that sort of thing having some different input from guys like Collen and DeMartini could be cool.

Ah, should have read it properly.  Probably getting these guys for different angels and insights I guess.  Was just floored when I saw Phil I was shocked I couldn't read on haha.  He does have an amazing body for his age.  I'd actually go there and when he says "alright let me show you something...."  I'd stop him and go, "Just tell me about your diet and training and then I'll show you something!"

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
A guitar/pec contest between Kade and Phil would be interesting.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully Kade was talking about his pecs.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Hopefully Kade was talking about his pecs.

You asked for pics now go look at them or else. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

Ah, should have read it properly.  Probably getting these guys for different angels and insights I guess.  Was just floored when I saw Phil I was shocked I couldn't read on haha.  He does have an amazing body for his age.  I'd actually go there and when he says "alright let me show you something...."  I'd stop him and go, "Just tell me about your diet and training and then I'll show you something!"

That whole paragraph is very dodgy Kade 😀🤔

I saw the poster last night and thought it was a tour. Couldn't see either of them mixing it with Satch or PG. I like WDM as a player but I can't see him doing the instrumental thing. I watched a video of his time in Whitesnake and he couldn't handle Sykes' solos.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh you dirty little boys!  ;D

But yeah reading back, my wording might have been a bit off.  :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New song from Henjo Richter's new band;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHm8OIUrmpQ

Really good actually, but I don't know who the other guitarist is and why Henjo lets him do the fucking solo!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Not familiar with him or the band. Decent song, but the note choice in the main riff is off to me. It's the exact same chords that make me dislike the riff to My Apocalypse by Metallica too. WHY ARE YOU USING THE MAJOR 6TH? ARGHARGRRAHARGHRA
Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not familiar with him or the band. Decent song, but the note choice in the main riff is off to me. It's the exact same chords that make me dislike the riff to My Apocalypse by Metallica too. WHY ARE YOU USING THE MAJOR 6TH? ARGHARGRRAHARGHRA
Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Henjo is the guitarist from Gamma Ray.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
New song from Henjo Richter's new band;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHm8OIUrmpQ

Really good actually, but I don't know who the other guitarist is and why Henjo lets him do the fucking solo!!

I think it's "solid"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've been on a bit of a Skid Row kick lately. It's too bad this bad imploded and couldn't stick together for at least artistic reasons because their Bach albums kick major ass and they should not be lumped with the Poisons and Warrants beyond parts of their first album. Even the debut had some ass kickers like Piece of Me and Midnight Tornado.

And I think Skid Row really excelled with their power ballads. They were still aggressive enough where they never came close to wussy level. "18 & Life", "Breakin Down", "Wasted Time", "Into Another" and the best of them all- "Quicksand Jesus"

And their second album, Slave to the Grind, is what really seperates them from the hair metal pack. There is nothing hair metal about this one, just a pure kick ass heavy metal album! One of my all time favorites.

And remember hearing Thickskin when it came out and thinking it was such an astronomical downgrade. I didn't care for Johnnys vocals as its too punky and I ended up tossing it. Didn't like anything else I heard from the Johnny era.

But this has to be the definition of a band that doesn't listen to their fans. Why they just don't let bye gones be bye gones and just bring Bach back. I would love to hear what one or two Bach fronted albums sound like. That new singer sounds good, but who cares that much at this point

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good stuff JJ - can't argue with any of that.

Believe it or not I have still never listened to Subhuman Race.    I was so peeved by a number of my favourite bands "going grunge" or at least drastically altering their sound to change with the times that I didn't want to risk Skid Row doing the same to me , so I just ignored it   ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Believe it or not, I have never listened to a single Skid Row album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Give it a shot Brent. It's heavy and might be a bit modern for 95, but definitely not grungy. Trust me, they didn't follow Dokken and that Shadowlife horse shit.

What do you rate the first two albums?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Believe it or not, I have never listened to a single Skid Row album.

Whoa!

Tim seriously I'm vouching that Slave to the Grind is one of the best metal albums ever. I will buy it for you if you want!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

I know. I've heard that many times. I just have never gotten around to sample it. I think I heard a track or two when it was released, and I thought it was pretty good. But it never enticed me to check out the album. probably too much other stuff going on at the time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I love the one-two punch of Riot Act and Mudkicker