Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 904845 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wonder how the Ozzy albums would have played out if Randy was still his guitarist.

Those first two albums made that combination one of the best in metal history, if Randy were still alive, Ozzy's solo career would have just taken over the world. Grunge might not have even happened.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
200 pages!!!!!

Finished Handful Of Rain, and of the 4 albums I've heard so far from the Top 43, it's the weakest.

Now on to the Attacker! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The chances of Randy being able to put up with Ozzy for another 35 years are about the same as Tim making a Winger/Autograph/Night Ranger mixtape.

I do recall Ozzy saying that Randy had told him that it wouldn't be long and he would be returning to classical guitar and teaching so it may well not have turned out much different.  Maybe one more album with Randy and then Jake.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The chances of Randy being able to put up with Ozzy for another 35 years are about the same as Tim making a Winger/Autograph/Night Ranger mixtape.

Which is Australian for pretty slim! :D

I do recall Ozzy saying that Randy had told him that it wouldn't be long and he would be returning to classical guitar and teaching so it may well not have turned out much different.  Maybe one more album with Randy and then Jake.

If I'm not mistaken. didn't he agree to do one more album? It may be addressed in Sarzo's book.

*goes and gets the book*
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't seen Sarzo's book.  I am sure it has the competition licked :neverusethis:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's called Off The Rails. It details his time on Ozzy's band. It pretty good. A little monotonous as it seems based on his tour diary. "Arrived in this town, checked into this hotel, had lunch at..."

But yes, rereading some of it, Randy had agreed to do one more studio album and tour.
Apparently, plans had been made to record a live album of Sabbath classics that Randy refused to play on. Fearful that Ozzy would fire his friends, he reluctantly agreed, but told Ozzy and Sharon he was out after the next album. he was making plans on going back to music school.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of............

https://youtu.be/79P7dsS_N0w

Not bad - Sarzo, Scotti Hill and Tichy on drums.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, I didn't know any of that.  It seemed like they were the best of friends and would play together forever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Damn, I didn't know any of that.  It seemed like they were the best of friends and would play together forever.

When Randy told Ozzy and Sharon that he wasn't going to do the Sabbath show, it created a big rift. Randy just felt that it would be a step back in his (Randy's) career. This was mid tour, a little more than a month before Randy was killed. After Randy told them, Ozzy went on a major bender and the confronted the band and told them they were fired. The next day, they were to travel to San Antonio, and Sharon told the band (Sarzo/Randy/Aldridge/Airey) to fly there separate from Ozzy on the bus, and in fact, take all of their equipment with them. Sharon would try and smooth things over with him. Apparently when Ozzy got to San Antonio, he was still drinking, which led up to him pissing on The Alamo.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I guess it would have been extremely unlikely that Randy would have put up with Ozzy for the remainder of the excess 80's. That's asking too much.

And congrats to the greatest thread on the Internet for 200 pages!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to get new ears because the Attacker just melted mine off. Damn.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to get new ears because the Attacker just melted mine off. Damn.

I don't think a doctor can give you new ears.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You have to type louder Kade

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Last album I will check out tonight is Eternity's End.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
To rate them so far:

1. Eternity's End
2. Disharmonic Fields
3. Attacker
4. Mercury Falling
5. Handful Of Rain

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
 :metal :metal :metal congrats to 200 :clap: :clap: :clap:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What?

I said I don't think a doctor can you you new ears.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Mentioned this elsewhere, but:  Went to a local Frank Hannon gig here in town on Saturday night, and he dedicated his set to Chuck and started it off with Johnny B. Goode.  It has become so cliché to cover that song that most rock musicians nowadays will avoid it, but it was perfect in this setting.

The set itself was really good.  Between the opener and Frank's band, there were a LOT of classics played, including Lights Out In London, Fire On the Mountain, Since I've Been Lovin' You, Man on the Silver Mountain, Rock Candy, You Can't Always Get What You Want, and many others.  Tommy McClendon joined Frank onstage as a third guitar for a big portion of the set, which was really cool.  Greg Golden opened.  All in all, pretty fun gig.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:02:47 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Just to add to the above post.  This doesn't completely fit this thread, but there isn't really a thread for it that I am aware of, and I don't know that it really warrants a separate one, so I'll just put it here. 

After the show on Saturday, I have all these old, classic tunes rattling around in my head.  Some of them I knew.  Others are songs I hadn't heard before, or at least never noticed if I did.  But I am really digging a lot of them.

But I feel like I need to give some background.  I was born in 1970 (which makes the math for a lot of this pretty easy).  A lot of the music I was initially exposed to up to 8 years old was older.  Used to be referred to as "oldies," but I don't know what you would call it now.  After 9 or so, I was exposed a lot more to some of the more current music of that time.  But not really much exposure to classic '60s and '70s rock.  When I started to really notice music on my own, it was around '82-'86 or so that I was making most of my initial musical discoveries, and I gravitated toward '80s hard rock.  Def Leppard, Dio, Scorpions, Y&T...that sort of thing.  Also some of what we would now consider "softer" rock, like Queen, Journey, etc.  For no real good reason, I rejected the more "classic" (at the time) '60s and '70s rock altogether, and that included bands that were putting out music in the '80s that had kept a somewhat classic '70s sound, like Montrose, UFO, and the like.  There are some bands that I still feel that way about.  For example, I still can't stand Zep.  But they are a classic example of where I am going in this thread.  I have been opening up a LOT more to the songs from the period of the '60s through the early '80s.  It is a process that has taken a long time.  It probably started in the early '90s when a Pink Floyd tribute band helped me realize that I shouldn't hate on Floyd, and I subsequently began exploring their music and found that I really, really liked a lot (but not all) of it.  I have had similar experiences with a lot of bands.  But the interesting thing is, and I will use Zep as my example, a lot of times, I find that I enjoy really well done modern covers of some of those older songs a lot more than the originals.  With Zep for instance, it still hurts my ears to hear Plant screeching those lyrics and to hear that awful '70s guitar tone.  But give me a good cover band with a vocalist whose voice isn't so thin and shrill, and a slightly more modern guitar tone, and I'm all over it and can appreciate how well-written some of those songs are. 

I am finding that I am that way with a lot of that stuff.  Tesla's Reel To Reel albums back in the early 2000s exposed me to a lot of that stuff that I had been missing.  In fact, I am starting to realize that Frank Hannon in particular has such awesome taste in music from that era, and he alone has single-handedly exposed me to a ton of both obscure and classic material that I otherwise would have completely overlooked.  For some, I find that I am perfectly happy hearing a good cover.  For others, I am finding that the covers have inspired me to go back and listen to and appreciate the originals.  Not really sure what I am trying to say beyond that or where I am trying to go.  Maybe what I should do is make a play list of some of these old songs that I am finding myself enjoying, plug that into Pandora, and see what else comes up that I like.  If there are other tools like that that will help me discover more of what I like from that era and hone in on what works for me, I'm all ears to suggestions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
*snip (because paragraph 2 doesn't deserve to be quoted)*

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought everyone knew that Zeppelin is my #1 band of all time...

SO YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!

Also, new Labyrinth song/video last week.  Don't think anyone mentioned it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpkcssnvZU
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

*snip (because paragraph 2 doesn't deserve to be quoted)*

Yes! Yes! Yes! (Insert Meg Ryan gif). It's not just me. I'm not alone.  :lol I hate Robert Plant. Can't stand him. Can't listen to him and can't watch him. Glenn Hughes too. Annoys the shit out of me. Phew. I feel better now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I thought everyone knew that Zeppelin is my #1 band of all time...

SO YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!

1.  Sucks to be you then.
2.  I don't mention Zep at all in paragraph 2.  So ???  Canadian math strikes again.  :lol
3.  When I finally do mention them in paragraph 3, I'm actually kinda praising them.  Sorta.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You're right... I err'd in mentioning paragraph 2.  It's an awfully backhanded compliment though.  It's like saying "boy, you don't sweat much for a heavy fella".

Yes! Yes! Yes! (Insert Meg Ryan gif). It's not just me. I'm not alone.  :lol I hate Robert Plant. Can't stand him. Can't listen to him and can't watch him. Glenn Hughes too. Annoys the shit out of me. Phew. I feel better now.

Why don't you go and Brexit your ass outta here?   :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
You're right... I err'd in mentioning paragraph 2.  It's an awfully backhanded compliment though.  It's like saying "boy, you don't sweat much for a heavy fella".

Or, "You sure have gorgeous locks for a follicly-challenged fella."  :lol

Offline Lowdz

Why don't you go and Brexit your ass outta here?   :lol

:lol
Can't wait to escape from the clutches of herr Merkel.

And my personal favourite backhanded compliment,
TAC said you weren't fit to sleep with pigs but it's alright because I said you were!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Anyway, where's TAC?  I was looking forward to his comments on what I posted since he is one of the few who is likely to know who Tommy McClendon is.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Atomik Tommy M!!!!  :metal

I'll be back shortly. ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

:lol  Yup.  I was unfamiliar prior to this.  But I loved his playing.  And he has such an amazing laid-back yet commanding stage presence.  I was about 5-10 feet from him most of the gig.

Offline Lowdz

I'll be back shortly. ;D

His album with UFO is awesome.

Offline Lowdz

Just found this on YouTube. Epk for the Magnus Karlsson Ronnie Romero project The Ferrymen
https://youtu.be/vDBAIBacVZk

This is going to be great.