Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906006 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Waffling.  I've vaguely heard people use that as a verb sparingly.

You don't even know what an adjective is!

I've been on Stone Fury -- Burns Like A Star kick lately.  I wish that band continued.

As much as it pains me to say this, this album did not age well. I loved it as a kid.
Does anyone else remember a band called Bronze? Canadian I think. I bought Bronze and Stone Fury together.

"we've edited out some of the waffle from TAC's posts"

Does not compute!

What's bankum? I have never heard that work before.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Just finished the countdown.  No real arguments on the Top 2.  They both made my Top 12.  Can't wait for the list, as there were a few I didn't get the chance to make note of that I want to revisit.  I did end up adding 9 more to the Brent 2016 playlist.  Guess I know what I'm listening to for the rest of the month.

Two EP's in the top 10 though?  :dunno:

Once the list goes up, I'll offer a few titles that didn't make either list, to see if they somehow slipped by you, or you didn't think they were top 100 worthy.

Still stunned that Now or Never didn't make the cut.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just finished the countdown.  No real arguments on the Top 2.  They both made my Top 12.  Can't wait for the list, as there were a few I didn't get the chance to make note of that I want to revisit.  I did end up adding 9 more to the Brent 2016 playlist.  Guess I know what I'm listening to for the rest of the month.

Once the list goes up, I'll offer a few titles that didn't make either list, to see if they somehow slipped by you, or you didn't think they were top 100 worthy.

I had a couple of bands I was lobbying to get into one of the shows. I have Now Or Never saved on Spotify. Did you send them to me?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Waffling.  I've vaguely heard people use that as a verb sparingly.

You don't even know what an adjective is!

I've been on Stone Fury -- Burns Like A Star kick lately.  I wish that band continued.

As much as it pains me to say this, this album did not age well. I loved it as a kid.
Does anyone else remember a band called Bronze? Canadian I think. I bought Bronze and Stone Fury together.

"we've edited out some of the waffle from TAC's posts"

Does not compute!

What's bankum? I have never heard that work before.  :lol

It's "bunkum" and "word" Timshmegland.

Cool.  I did explain the EP thing so it was obviously something I considered but in the end just couldn't be stuffed changing my rating method , especially seeing as no EP made the top couple.

Now or Never made my bottom 40 :lol   For whatever reason our opinion on that album is at opposite ends of the spectrum. 

I had a couple of bands I was lobbying to get into one of the shows. I have Now Or Never saved on Spotify. Did you send them to me?

Bunkum :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Adjective?  I hardly knew ya! :lol

I don't know Tim, that's the charm of that album that it is dated.  It sends me back to my youth.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Whatever works, right?  :lol

I totally get it. I loved that album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Now or Never made my bottom 40 :lol   For whatever reason our opinion on that album is at opposite ends of the spectrum. 

Tastes!!  Life would be so much easier if you all just had mine.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
35 years later, and I still don't know what to make of Graham Bonnett.

Fury-Definitely Y&T influenced. Totally nailed that Brent. The singer sounds a little like Brian Adams.

Gonna pass on that Apollo bankum (see what I did there?).

Binary Creed! :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
35 years later, and I still don't know what to make of Graham Bonnett.

I'll give you a hint.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
NWOTHM. I like that, Brent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I did explain the EP thing so it was obviously something I considered but in the end just couldn't be stuffed changing my rating method

Sounded like a lot of waffle to me.. ;D

Attacker  :metal
Damn!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
The first Blue Murder album was fantastic.  Tim, sometimes I don't know what planet you are from.  :lol  But the second...yeah, I'll give you that one.  The live album, Screaming Blue Murder is also VERY good.  And even with Sykes forgetting the lyrics on Still of the Night and accidentally repeating a verse as a result, this version is still almost better than the Whitesnake album version.

As far as Gillen on vocals, that would have been an interesting mix.  When I think of Ray, I think of that bluesy style of his that fit the three Badlands albums to a tee.  Blue Murder wasn't really that (which is interesting when you think about it, since had just come out of arguably THE poster child band for "blues metal").  But, hey, we got three fantastic Badlands albums and one fantastic Blue Murder album, so I'm not going to complain.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tim, sometimes I don't know what planet you are from.  :lol   

Most people in this thread would probably agree with you, and on many days, so would I! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
He comes from the planet of ripped jeans and Ibenez Tube Screamers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Going back to Joey Alves for a second, I just realized (I mean, I knew, but had forgotten) that the pic that I posted was taken from the last gig I played with the Y&T tribute band I was in at the time.  Terry Lauderdale was one of the guitarists.  Really talented player.  The reason I bring Terry up is because, although it has been quite a few years since I spoke to him directly, the information I got about Joey came through him.  And his current band is opening for Frank Hannon at a club up here this weekend, so I might go check them out.  It seems the stars are aligning for Terry and I to have a reunion of sorts.  Here is the old promo video for HFT, with Terry on guitar:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5G0bz6LxDQ
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He comes from the planet of ripped jeans and Ibenez Tube Screamers.

...and roach clip feathers!!

Anyway, I'm done with the countdown. Awesome job Brent! :hefdaddy

Thank you so much for your work on this. This is totally appreciated. So many great tracks. I think I Saved 6-8 albums on Spotify during the Top 43.

So not to give away any spoilers, Brent, the album at #2, I could just not get into. It just never stuck with me. Feels kind of cold. I don't know how to describe it, really.
But a Hell Yes for the #1!! It's an Astonishing choice! ;D
Seriously, I think everyone across the board rated it in their Top 5 this year.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
But a Hell Yes for the #1!! It's an Astonishing choice! ;D
Seriously, I think everyone across the board rated it in their Top 5 this year.

Nope... #12

#putsonflamesuit

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Just started up the podcast. I really dig the guitar work on the first tune (#43 I think)! Forgive me for not being a regular and knowing all the ins and outs, but isn't there usually a list I can follow with the countdown?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The best thing about this podcast is that Brent introduces every track. On the others, he'll introduce like 3 at a time, and usually midway through the 2nd, I have no clue what I'm listening to!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

Love the guitar tone! To me this tune sounds like it could have come right off Surfing With The Alien. I get the same thrill listening to it that I had the first time I heard Satch play.

I really enjoyed the music from #37 through #33.  :metal  I think I'm completely lost on the vocals though, which seems to be pretty common for me on this thread.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:45:12 AM by Podaar »

Offline Lowdz

The best thing about this podcast is that Brent introduces every track. On the others, he'll introduce like 3 at a time, and usually midway through the 2nd, I have no clue what I'm listening to!

That's where I've struggled. My memory is shit, and I work with people with Alzheimer's. There's no hope for them  :)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
through the Fury track now.

I thought the Hammers of Misfortune song was good although it could have been tightened up a bit (pull the cowbell back juuust a bit meybe?).  But I really liked the organ/keyboard work.

The instrumental section on the Disharmonic Fields was bonkers.

Strong group of songs with the Wicked Maraya block.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone who wants the tracklist as a text file.............

https://yadi.sk/i/5Z6Z9g-s3Fvyvi
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yippee!!!

Let's see... gotta revisit:

Handful of Rain
Narnia - FFS, Spotify doesn't have the whole album up, only one track.   :angry:
Bullettrain
Mercury Falling
Disharmonic Fields
Binary Creed
Symphonity

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
#21 and #2 :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still not big on Inglorious, but they have a lot of talent.

That Triple FX did nothing for me at all.  Really blatant Ice 9 rip off or something.

The Meshiaak was solid and I'll actually have to check out the album.

The Handful of Rain was fucking excellent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Working my way through the list.
I'm surprised Almanac came so high. I sampled that and thought it was shit 😀
That Diamond Head song did nothing for me, and I didn't expect it to tbh. That intro riff put me of. Does it get any more generic than that?
The Damian Black is interesting. Tate circa 1984.

I picked up the Chris Green when you gave me the heads up a while ago. Great stuff.
Some of these albums were high up on my list, some I checked out and didn't rate.

You've certainly gone for the heavier stuff as you say.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Death Angel  :metal
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Amazing how many on that list I've never heard of at all.  I think I know just 7 of them.

Offline Lowdz

I like it.

And yeah, quite a few I've never heard of but a quick listen isn't exactly setting my world on fire. Didn't like the Wicked Maraya at all. As Brent thought might happen, I think I preferred the last podcast.

Checking out Attacker again and loving that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Death Angel was awesome until I got about 2/3rds through the album and that's when the vocalist finally wore me out. I gave it a listen when it came out and musically I really liked it, but those vocals..

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I like it.

And yeah, quite a few I've never heard of but a quick listen isn't exactly setting my world on fire. Didn't like the Wicked Maraya at all. As Brent thought might happen, I think I preferred the last podcast.

Checking out Attacker again and loving that.

All good Paul - pretty much everything was liked by someone which is what we're after. 

I have started working through the obscure 80's and 90's rock titles................gawd :lol   I had forgotten how much there was - and have already rediscovered a few gems I had forgotten .   Might have to turn this into Brent and Ben's Encyclopedia of the Best and Rarest of 80's and 90's Hard Rock and gradually run through them alphabetically .  I would actually like it for myself so I don't need to scour my collection again.  Might start off with the feature show as planned and then complete the list in hourly segments in forthcoming shows and provide a complete list at the end.  Even I struggle with too much "rock" these days without some metal to break it up  ;D

The "encyclopedia" is tongue in cheek (as there's plenty I will miss as I don't like them and the definition of "hard rock" is a bit fluid)  but if I am going to do it I might as well do it properly and make it some sort of reference for some of the best/rarest bands (IMO) of that period in hard rock .     The key is going to be focusing on songs that have something memorable about them for the show - they can all start to blur into one another quickly with some bands from that period.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:08:01 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm game for whatever you can offer Brent. Already can't wait for the next one!

Offline Lowdz

I'm sure there will be loads of stuff I haven't heard, even if I've heard of them. I could afford to track everything down back then. I did have a mate who supplied tapes which helped. We sort of kept each other supplied.