Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 905456 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Or shoestring neckties.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What the fuck have I walked into?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Pretty much sums up my feelings every time I click into the wuss thread.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Pretty much sums up my feelings every time I click into the wuss thread.  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Listening to the new Blaze Bayley album right now. I am liking it. Honestly, I only gave the first Infinite Entanglement album one listen and never went back to it. I like this new one though.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Blaze's first two solo albums, Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension are excellent and if those two were released under the Maiden name I guarentee Blaze would never be shit on like he is for X Factor and Virtual XI. They would be considered classics.

But I remember listening to his third album Blood and Belief and thought it was a downgrade compared to the first two. I really haven't given a solid listen to anything after B&B. I'll try to check out some samples of this new one

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Promise And Terror is my favorite Blaze album.

Offline Lowdz

:lol

Listening to the new Blaze Bayley album right now. I am liking it. Honestly, I only gave the first Infinite Entanglement album one listen and never went back to it. I like this new one though.

Has he learned to sing more than two notes yet?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
....or Z Cavabiccis  ;D

The what? :lol

Damn autocorrect  :D

Here's a new show for you guys

https://yadi.sk/d/_CM9gsFK3FXJgg

As per usual I will link it in the OP for future reference and in coming days will link a tracklist also.   The show has been done gradually over a period of months in concert with the earlier one.  Glad 2016 is now done with , although I have continued to find the odd gem from 2016 in the meantime - had to draw the line somewhere though.

This will please some and not others but for the next show I am going to resurrect a part of my collection that hasn't seen a great deal of activity in recent times. As a kid and really up until 4-5 years ago my focus was around 70/30 in terms of hard rock and AOR vs metal - in recent times that has reversed and probably got to 80% metal.    Time to go back to my roots.

So this show will cover everything from the harder edges of AOR through to the more commercial tracks from artists at the lighter end of metal (say some of the more accessible tracks from bands like Accept and WASP).   Most of it will sit somewhere in between and it don't get a gig if it wasn't pre-2000 either.   So if you like big guitars, big melodies and big hair (and Winger) then this show will be for you.  I will delve deep into my collection and will do alternating brackets of classics and rarities.

For now............enjoy my faves of 2016.  As mentioned it's not necessarily the best songs of 2016 but featured tracks from some of the best , most consistent albums of 2016 IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:53:54 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Will download and put it on a USB for the car this time. Sick of the player for Yandex.Disk. It's a nightmare to go back to find out who the bands I liked were.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
:downloading:

Love the them of the next podcast.  This ought to be right up the jingle.alley.

(awaits Tim's bellyachin')  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Love the them of the next podcast. 

jingle.shmegland

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This will please some and not others but for the next show I am going to resurrect a part of my collection that hasn't seen a great deal of activity in recent times. As a kid and really up until 4-5 years ago my focus was around 70/30 in terms of hard rock and AOR vs metal - in recent times that has reversed and probably got to 80% metal.    Time to go back to my roots.

So this show will cover everything from the harder edges of AOR through to the more commercial tracks from artists at the lighter end of metal (say some of the more accessible tracks from bands like Accept and WASP).   Most of it will sit somewhere in between and it don't get a gig if it wasn't pre-2000 either.   So if you like big guitars, big melodies and big hair (and Winger) then this show will be for you.  I will delve deep into my collection and will do alternating brackets of classics and rarities.

(awaits Tim's bellyachin')  :lol

I know. Let's have Ben do the show, and maybe he can let Brent pick the last block! ;D

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Done.....................I have consulted with Ben and the whole of the next show is AC/DC and KISS with a little bit of variety from me at the end,.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :metal

Sounds good to me!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, to fit the new podcast on my iPod, another band bites the dust. Goodbye Black Majesty!

That's Australian on Australian crime!  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Great way to start off the show Ben!! :metal :metal :metal

Might get a few new tunes in tonight.

This Meridian tune is pretty easy on the ears.
Vivaldi Metal Project? Brent, who is singing the first couple verses?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:24:45 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I believe it is a guy called Csaba Zvekan - never heard of him before.   He certainly stretches himself on that song :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Will aim to donwload this tomorrow.  Might put in on a USB for the car also.

Looking forward to the next AOR/hard rock tinged podcast too Brent.  :metal

Gotta check that new Blaze album out too.  The last one was alright.  I think The Man Who Would Not Die might be my fav atually.  Fucking heavy and balls out that one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I believe it is a guy called Csaba Zvekan - never heard of him before.   He certainly stretches himself on that song :lol

I actually liked his voice. But no, that project is not for me.

The Kansas track is terrible.  :)
The Psycho Prism is interesting. I'll have to follow up with that. Your description of the vocals was on point. He's almost kind of loopy. But hell yes, there is potential there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Inglorious tune was just OK. The dude has pipes but I felt he was oversinging. I think I prefer Casaba Melon from the Vivaldi thingy.
Triple FX instrumental was pretty cool.
Once you started the Meshiaak, I immediately checked it on Spotify. Pretty intense stuff. A tad more melodic Slayer. Not completely sold on the vocals, but I'll definitely check it out after the Podcast.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, I have promptly Saved the Handful Of Rain and Eternity's End on Spotify. best two tracks so far, easily.

I liked the Narnia. I'm surprised it's here. That's the same singer from Golden Resurrection, which I like better than Narnia.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Haven't listened yet, but I'm pleasantly surprised that Eternity's End made the cut.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Haven't listened yet, but I'm pleasantly surprised that Eternity's End made the cut.

That was a great tune, but for all of the lip service about the singer, he was easily the most uninteresting part of the track, well other than the horrible keyboard solo. But I have it saved and I really enjoyed the track. Can't wait to hear more of it.

And Mercury Falling is now officially Saved, as is Disharmonic Fields.

Brent, after a slow start, you are knocking this out! :metal

Did you really play Kansas or was I just imagining it?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:22:13 AM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Once you started the Meshiaak, I immediately checked it on Spotify. Pretty intense stuff. A tad more melodic Slayer. Not completely sold on the vocals, but I'll definitely check it out after the Podcast.

I sampled a few tracks from this album and wasn't that impressed.  I'll definitely give the track some attention and give them the benefit of the doubt.  Dean Wells is a hell of a guitarist though, very underrated.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Unfortunately we were on the money with Joey Alves.........

It’s with great sadness that I write this today. Y&T's original rhythm guitarist, Joey Alves, passed away at 7:10 this morning at the age of 63. He suffered from ulcerative colitis and other complications that led to his passing. Joey was one of the finest rock rhythm guitarists, and I’ll always remember playing next to him chunking out those monster chords with his classic red double cutaway ‘59 Les Paul Jr. As Ronnie Montrose once said about Joey, “There are rhythm players, then there's Joey. A class of his own.....”.

He was a fun guy who always played with attitude and conviction, and was responsible for writing some memorable riffs for Y&T over the years. His friendship and presence will be missed. This is a great loss for all the Y&T family and faithful. He now joins Phil and Leonard in rock and roll heaven.
-Dave

RIP Joey and condolences to Dave  :'(   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Not started listening yet. Sounds like I have checked some of these out. Eternity's End didn't do anything for me Neither did the Vivaldi thing.

Offline Lowdz

Unfortunately we were on the money with Joey Alves.........

It’s with great sadness that I write this today. Y&T's original rhythm guitarist, Joey Alves, passed away at 7:10 this morning at the age of 63. He suffered from ulcerative colitis and other complications that led to his passing. Joey was one of the finest rock rhythm guitarists, and I’ll always remember playing next to him chunking out those monster chords with his classic red double cutaway ‘59 Les Paul Jr. As Ronnie Montrose once said about Joey, “There are rhythm players, then there's Joey. A class of his own.....”.

He was a fun guy who always played with attitude and conviction, and was responsible for writing some memorable riffs for Y&T over the years. His friendship and presence will be missed. This is a great loss for all the Y&T family and faithful. He now joins Phil and Leonard in rock and roll heaven.
-Dave

RIP Joey and condolences to Dave  :'(   

Yes, so sad. 3/4 of this great band gone. 😭

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Y&T is a fantastic band, they deserve a lot more credit and are very underrated.

What a triple threat of Earthshaker, Black Tiger and Mean Streak!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
RIP.  This band has taken a hit lately.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Y&T is a fantastic band, they deserve a lot more credit and are very underrated.

What a triple threat of Earthshaker, Black Tiger and Mean Streak!

So true!!!
 :hefdaddy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
We'll miss ya', Joe.

FYI, hard to tell from the lighting, but the guitar in that pic is the same red LP Jr. Dave referred to in his post.  It had become lost through the years (I forget whether it was stolen or pawned), and a former Y&T roadie and long-time friend of Joey, along with a huge network of Y&T fans with some sleuthing and determination, reacquired it and presented it to Joey not long before the above pic was taken.  That was his first return to any stage in years.  It was an honor playing with him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

I'm sure that was a great experience. Cool pic.