Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 905300 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Haha, found it, you called it Whitefake.  Damn, exactly the fucking same though.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Devil Takes me Down is another classic sounding track by the numbers, but isn't offensive and a nice listen.  5 O'Clock is very interesting with the chorus actually reminding me of Jimmy Barnes' stuff.  Been Said and Done has a great mood and is a nice little stomper of a closer.

My copy has this track at 12 minutes which features another track which seems to be the bonus digipak track calld Coming Home to You.  This is one of the best songs by far IMO, not sure why this wasn't on the actual album, brilliant.  I remember discussing this with Blob when it came out and his version I believed didn't have this track.  Get a hold of it Blob for sure.  Also in this 12 minutes it has a nice little version of Ain't No Sunshine for some reason, but it's nice.

Yeah, my copy doesn't have that, it ends with Been Said and Done. I don't remember if I ever checked it out anywhere, but I'll do it again anyway. I'll probably disagree with you on it though. It's inevitable now. :lol
I really dig 5 O'clock. And since I don't listen to Been Said and Done, it makes for a great laid back closer for me.

Haha, found it, you called it Whitefake.  Damn, exactly the fucking same though.  :lol

Yup yup. :lol I love the band, but it is what it is. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

1 minute in and fuck I love Readman's voice.

I still really need to check out some Pink Cream 69.

Yes you do. Thunderdome  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
1 minute in and fuck I love Readman's voice.

I still really need to check out some Pink Cream 69.

Yes you do. Thunderdome  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Alright, listening to it now. This one's on you. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
great album
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What's the opinion of Born Again by Black Sabbath?

So far:

Wolf: fucking fantastic

Paul:  shit album

Brent:  fucking dud

Jason: excellent album

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

So far:

You heard the man, more opinions please?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
 ::)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.

So far:

I need to buy it and listen...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Born Again

It's a great EP. Disturbing The Priest is one of their best songs spanning all eras.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

So far:

If you like Sabbath and/or Gillan, don't do it. One decent song (Trashed) and that's only ok.
Take anything that came after it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte

So far:

If you like Sabbath and/or Gillan, don't do it. One decent song (Trashed) and that's only ok.

I feel just the opposite. As a big fan of both Deep Purple MarkII era and early Sabbath, I think Born Again is a unique opportunity to hear Ian Gillan in a completely different context. While it may not be on the same level as a Paranoid or Heaven and Hell, I think it stands up quite well amongst the Sabbath ouevre.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
There is no other thread in which I would like to make my

20,000th POST!!!!

Speaking of 20,000...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT4nTq4htu8

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

So far:

I feel just the opposite. As a big fan of both Deep Purple MarkII era and early Sabbath, I think Born Again is a unique opportunity to hear Ian Gillan in a completely different context. While it may not be on the same level as a Paranoid or Heaven and Hell, I think it stands up quite well amongst the Sabbath ouevre.

Well said mate.

And congrats Tim!!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Sinner;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBMNitstLo

More Moore/Lizzy influence than ever, but nice song IMO.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sinner had really been going for the Thin Lizzy sound on that last album. I guess they are continuing in that direction.

I don't know a lot of their material, but the song The Nature of Evil is very cool.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Sinner;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBMNitstLo

More Moore/Lizzy influence than ever, but nice song IMO.

Wow, no kidding!

Gary Moore and Thin Lizzy have made some of my all time favorite music. I like this! Who is the vocalist?

Great tune!

Sinner had really been going for the Thin Lizzy sound on that last album. I guess they are continuing in that direction.
Never heard them before. I'll have to check that out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Mat Sinner, bass player from Primal Fear, and Voodoo Circle for that matter, since they have been discussed about recently.

Offline Lowdz

Don't think I heard the last album. Will have to check them out. Enjoyed that, but I do like a rocked up Celtic feel.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like the Stryper hiatus isn't lasting too long;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/stryper-to-record-new-album-in-october/

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I ain't complaining!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry about the delay with the podcast guys.......had a lot on my plate.  It's been in the can for a while too but due to the shitty internet connection at our new place (and in Australia upload speeds are a fraction of already shitty download speeds) I have had to wait for my mobile/cell plan to tick over to a new month so I have the data allowance free on a speedier connection.  I have also continued to discover some good new 2016 releases in recent weeks but you have to draw the line somewhere.  If there's anything awesome I will include it in the 2017 show , assuming we do that. Given that the Top 40 is mostly obscure , this show will contain most of your favourites and I'm betting that pretty much everyone will find something new to like if you choose to invest the time.

Anyway......here's a new one for you.

https://yadi.sk/d/RZpP75UQ3CPL6z

As per usual the link is in the OP too so there's no need to find this post again later on.  I am still finishing a Top 40-ish of 2016 countdown for another show but this is basically just a regular show - it just happens that 99% of the songs in it are from 2016.   A "best of the rest" if you like.     I have listened to it a number of times and am still enjoying it , so hopefully some of you will too.   There is a bit more variety in styles than the average show - a number of songs will appeal to some and (very much) not others but that comes with the territory and with some knowledge of the varied tastes of our audience.

As per usual we appreciate any feedback , particularly for these themed/best of shows as they take many,many times longer to  research/prepare than a regular show where I just pick semi-random stuff from my collection.   Once I finish the other 2016 show that'll be it for these themed shows till late in the year.  I may work on a Best of 1989 in the background during the year , just as I did for 1988 last year - just depends if I can find the time and motivation as the research is pretty time consuming .  It's a bit of a labour of love though so I normally find an excuse.  :)

Ben had plenty of input into the opening of the new show in particular - a new voiceover at the start and , in particular , a new years welcome designed especially for his buddy Tim   ;)

In order not to blow the time out further I just quoted band names during the show rather than album and track names .......with a band name and knowing it's from 2016 it's not too hard to figure out. But I will post a full artist/album/track name list for the show in the near future.

Enjoy.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I've downloaded it, might start listening later tonight or tomorrow. :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm flat out work wise at the moment, so will download this week and listen ASAP.  :tup

Offline Lowdz

Listening now. Great start though never was a fan of the funky metal stuff, Extreme and that one great Electric Boys album.
Seems I liked the Anthrax more than you but I probably didn't listen to anywhere near as much stuff as you last year 😀. You are my hero.

And where you living to have such shit internet? Under Ayers Rock? 🙀

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Listening now. Great start though never was a fan of the funky metal stuff, Extreme and that one great Electric Boys album.
Seems I liked the Anthrax more than you but I probably didn't listen to anywhere near as much stuff as you last year . You are my hero.

And where you living to have such shit internet? Under Ayers Rock?

Where are you living to have such weird emoticons ?  ;D

It very much does depend on where you live.  Up until 2015 I was in an area with cable TV , which means fast internet.  Now I am in an area without cable (we can get cable TV stations via satellite) and so it's copper wire (old phone line) based ADSL which has cut my speed by 90% or more.   And then upload speeds are another degree slower.   I have a mobile internet modem that I can use at 10-20 times the speed of my hard line , only issue is the data is super expensive.

Stupid thing is that a few kms around the corner they have fibre based internet , but that's only in small pockets and successive governments have ballsed up the rollout.

On a cricketing note Paul , today Ben and I met and had a chat to Bill Lawry at Ben's cricket club - ex Aussie captain and I assume you know him as a commentator.  Got a photo or two with the great man.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ben had plenty of input into the opening of the new show in particular - a new voiceover at the start and , in particular , a new years welcome designed especially for his buddy Tim   ;)

:lol

Can't wait!

Downloading now..

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Starts off good with a "heavy metal" scream from Ben

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
and a zinger for Tim