Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 902385 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I never really gave that live album much of a listen yet I own the cd.  Need to dig it out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
...switched to H&H's Live at Wacken 2009.

One of the best live albums released in the last 20 years. Dio is on fire, as is Iommi. Amazing performance with an epic version of Heaven & Hell.

I believe some of my video work is on the DVD, on the projection screen for much of Bible Black iirc. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

One of the best live albums released in the last 20 years. Dio is on fire, as is Iommi. Amazing performance with an epic version of Heaven & Hell.

I believe some of my video work is on the DVD, on the projection screen for much of Bible Black iirc. :metal

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

That's fucking incredible.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That link lead to this one. I really like it. Can't find much about them because their name is pretty much taken by fire safety products  :biggrin:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8_XzqngZRk

NOt bad.  Nothing special though for me.

I thought it was pretty good Paul , especially for an indie but yeah............zero info around aside from one guy's Facebook page which has no info on the band.  Shame.

There's actually some really good unknown bands out of South America at the moment , a couple of which will be in the upcoming podcasts.

One thing I did find while searching for the band is the new official video for this thread :lol    it's meant to be a funny at Slayer's expense but I enjoy watching metal crushing all the prog - and Nickelback :D  Although I think Steve Wilson got away  :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4iAlQY61fE&feature=youtu.be
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Oh my God, that is so funny!!! I'm dying! :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
 :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
To my surprise I managed to pick up the new Accept DVD/2CD in store at a JB (Aussie chain) today.  Was not expecting it at all, so was a very nice surprise.  The cd is sounding great so far.

Offline Lowdz

That link lead to this one. I really like it. Can't find much about them because their name is pretty much taken by fire safety products  :biggrin:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8_XzqngZRk

NOt bad.  Nothing special though for me.

I thought it was pretty good Paul , especially for an indie but yeah............zero info around aside from one guy's Facebook page which has no info on the band.  Shame.

There's actually some really good unknown bands out of South America at the moment , a couple of which will be in the upcoming podcasts.

One thing I did find while searching for the band is the new official video for this thread :lol    it's meant to be a funny at Slayer's expense but I enjoy watching metal crushing all the prog - and Nickelback :D  Although I think Steve Wilson got away  :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4iAlQY61fE&feature=youtu.be

I contacted the guy on a Facebook and he sent me the mp3s for those two songs. That's all they have at the moment.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
To my surprise I managed to pick up the new Accept DVD/2CD in store at a JB (Aussie chain) today.  Was not expecting it at all, so was a very nice surprise.  The cd is sounding great so far.

My copy is arriving this week! Hopefully Monday

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, so I'm not sure it should matter, but I liked the fact that the Tornillo Era Accept also included Herman Frank and Stefan Schwartzman (sp?) as they were also in parts of the Udo Era.
Now, with a new drummer and guitarist, I just feel it's different. Not that these guys can't play or the songs are any different. I just liked the fact that Accept was well, Accept.

The new DVD barely shows the second guitarist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
What was the reason that Herman and Stefan were booted from the band?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
OK, so I'm not sure it should matter, but I liked the fact that the Tornillo Era Accept also included Herman Frank and Stefan Schwartzman (sp?) as they were also in parts of the Udo Era.
Now, with a new drummer and guitarist, I just feel it's different. Not that these guys can't play or the songs are any different. I just liked the fact that Accept was well, Accept.

The new DVD barely shows the second guitarist.

I've only watched a couple of songs but I sort of feel the same.  It just doesn't feel as classic or something.  It's become the Wolf and to a lesser extent Mark show.

What was the reason that Herman and Stefan were booted from the band?

I have no idea.  Did they not both just leave on their own accord.

Offline Lowdz

On my latest YouTube crawl I came across Roxxcalibur, a tribute band to the NWOBHM. They cover tracks by the bands from back in the day, give them a polish, with a decent singer. Quite enjoyable.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
On my latest YouTube crawl I came across Roxxcalibur, a tribute band to the NWOBHM. They cover tracks by the bands from back in the day, give them a polish, with a decent singer. Quite enjoyable.

They're one of those bands that I researched , got an album or two and set aside for later (and never got to it ).   Looks like I have releases from 2011 and 2015.......looks like you were playing the 2011 one.   Will give 'em a spin soon.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I just envision that Brent has stacks of cd's in a closet that he bought but still hasn't gotten around to listening to.  And just like it would be in television, everytime Brent opens up the closet door, the cd's come crashing down on his head.

Offline Lowdz

Just seen that WASP are touring the uk this year playing the whole of Zcrimson Idol. I'm there.  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
They are re-recording The Crimson Idol too.

I'm always a little leery of re-recorded albums, but this might be pretty cool.

Offline Lowdz

Certainly doesn't need a rerecord. Must be a label thing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re-recordings are never better, at least none that I can think off of the top of my head.

At best they are average-good and can be a good supplement to the originals.  But it's better to leave all classics alone.

Offline Lowdz

Re-recordings are never better, at least none that I can think off of the top of my head.

At best they are average-good and can be a good supplement to the originals.  But it's better to leave all classics alone.

I see why bands would do it if they aren't making any money off their best/popular work.
I wonder if Blackie will go all out and throw an orchestra on it or something. With all the pain of doing it the first time I'm surprised he's going there again.
I hope he can recreate the sound because those guitars were huge.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just envision that Brent has stacks of cd's in a closet that he bought but still hasn't gotten around to listening to.  And just like it would be in television, everytime Brent opens up the closet door, the cd's come crashing down on his head.

:lol

Thankfully in the last few years most of my purchases (especially speculative ones) have been in digital format - makes it easier for the podcast too (no need to be ripping hundreds of discs beyond what I did with my original CD collection).   So I have one big hard drive to fall on my head  ;D    I have many,many hundreds of albums that I have discovered/researched and never got around to .  So hopefully there's some gems in there that I can share at some point - I'm sure there is.  Time is the only obstacle.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just seen that WASP are touring the uk this year playing the whole of Zcrimson Idol. I'm there.  :metal

I saw the show a few years back when they came down here and it was fucking awesome, definitely check it out.

The fuck?  Please Blackie, no.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think when I first imported all of my cd's onto Itunes, it took like 6 months overall lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think when I first imported all of my cd's onto Itunes, it took like 6 months overall lol

Yeah -not a small job.   I did it while I worked at home and just got into a rhythm where I was doing maybe 6-10 discs an hour .   it took me somewhere around 5-6 weeks doing that full time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:18:27 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Thankfully in the last few years most of my purchases (especially speculative ones) have been in digital format - makes it easier for the podcast too (no need to be ripping hundreds of discs beyond what I did with my original CD collection).   So I have one big hard drive to fall on my head  ;D    I have many,many hundreds of albums that I have discovered/researched and never got around to .  So hopefully there's some gems in there that I can share at some point - I'm sure there is.  Time is the only obstacle.

I can see in the future in some Planet Of The Apes type world, archeologists will dig up Brent's Album Ratings Spreadsheet, and the will think they found the great human equation.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If they're metal fans it'll sure save them some time and give them more time to dig shit up ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Here's a picture taken with the L, Brent dig site marker.

Yup, definitely Metal Fans! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, just curious, what format and bitrate did you rip all your cd's to?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, just curious, what format and bitrate did you rip all your cd's to?

I have never spent much time on the various players/file formats etc....and although I have a great stereo system that's worth about twice what my car is I don't consider myself a full-on audiophile.  When I bought that system I was in a totally different financial world and was much more interested in sound quality.  These days I actually listen to most of my music in my office through my Swan speakers.

So in the end , despite all the audophiles telling me I should use FLAC and Foobar and whatever , I just stuck with iTunes.   So I used their lossless format for my CDs (ALAC I think) which is good enough.

When I need to use them for something else (like the podcast/mp3 player) I just convert the files to standard mp3 @ 320.

I still haven't finished getting through Firewind - will let you know what I think when I do.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
There's no difference between FLAC and ALAC as far as sound quality is concerned anyway. And if your media player of choice is iTunes you couldn't use FLAC, since it doesn't support it. :lol

My collection is roughly 30% FLAC now and the rest 320kbps MP3. I decided that I didn't need it to be 100% FLAC because I didn't think I listened to that other 70% enough anymore to warrant it. Generally if I love something enough and/or listen to it a lot, I'll have it as FLAC.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
There's no difference between FLAC and ALAC as far as sound quality is concerned anyway. And if your media player of choice is iTunes you couldn't use FLAC, since it doesn't support it. :lol

You will find plenty who will disagree with you on ALAC/FLAC (despite them both theoretically being "lossless") - in the end I decided I didn't care .  As I mentioned I chose ALAC as I decided to stick with iTunes (ie  I was aware that FLAC wouldn't work and , as mentioned , didn't bother with stuff like Foobar which a lot of FLAC users recommend)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
iTunes is shit, but lossless is lossless. Don't listen to anything audiophiles think in terms of audio quality, they're often full of shit. :lol
I use foobar because it's so customizable and has tabbed playlists, I only use FLAC for some special albums though (basically just DT related albums + GNR - AFD). Everything else is 320kb. Nobody's going to tell the difference.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep - full of shit a lot of the time  :lol    Having said that I don't have any trouble believing that ALAC could be inferior to FLAC.   "Lossless is lossless" is like saying "a photocopy is a photocopy" .........the machinery (or in this case the FLAC codec vs ALAC codec) can make a difference.

But yeah.......in the end I decided my ear isn't as good as the audiophiles and vinyl hipsters and so it's not worth worrying about  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au