Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 904194 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Skunkworks is top 3 Bruce for me, behind CW and AOB of course.  I think it's brilliant.

I'm a fan of Dennis Ward. He needs to get back with a great PC 69 album though.

Yes, Ceremonial was awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Classic Armored Saint footage of Aftermath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N25RzGBgCio

:metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice Tim  :metal

I think Armored Saint must get more love here than on any other internet site  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That's why this is the number one thread in the history of threads!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's why this is the number one thread in the history of threads!

:rollin

So true!

Nice Tim  :metal

I think Armored Saint must get more love here than on any other internet site  :)

I was just watching A Trip Through Red Times and that clip came up. Aftermath really shows how much talent that band actually had. Those early albums really needed a live setting to do them justice. You watch Dave and it really hits home. He went way too young.
The last time I saw him was in late '88 and he walked right by my friend and I and he was so cool. He told us that it was going to be a great show and he hoped we'd enjoy it. By that time, Jeff Duncan had joined the band and we had no idea what he was going through. They played Reign Of Fire and Spineless that night, a preview to Symbol Of Salvation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Symbol of Salvation should have taken the band to the next level

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Symbol of Salvation should have taken the band to the next level

Music wise it did, but popularity wise it did not. I remember reading an article in Kerrang right before SOS came out. They basically said that if it wasn't commercially successful, they'd be likely calling it a day.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah that's what I meant, popularity wise. It had some songs that should have gotten major radio play.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
One song from SoS that doesn't seem to get much mention but could well be my all time fave of theirs (perhaps in a tie with a couple of others)  is Tainted Past.   

And the few songs that I really liked on Sound Of White Noise sounded more like Armored Saint than Anthrax :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
One song from SoS that doesn't seem to get much mention but could well be my all time fave of theirs (perhaps in a tie with a couple of others)  is Tainted Past.   

And the few songs that I really liked on Sound Of White Noise sounded more like Armored Saint than Anthrax :lol

Tainted Past might be one of my favorite tunes on the album. "...and let cooler heads prevail"  :metal

I also love Burning Question. That tune totally rocks!

Hi Pro Glo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :metal

It actually took me a bit to get into ASOWN. But it has aged greatly!

Offline Lowdz

They just weren't on my radar back in the day, though I was aware of them. SoS is an absolute cracker though. Discovered because of you guys raving about it (and the Saint), so for that I thank you  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Solution .45 (again hahahahaha)

I've only listened through once so far, but I seem to recall a track or two that didn't have any growls.  Maybe I'm misremembering?

I think just the ballad, The Curse That Keeps on Giving and the more melodic rocker, What Turns the Wheels, which may be my fav on the album.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Regarding Symbol of Salvation -- I agree, musically, it took the band to the next level. Such a great record from top to bottom. I really enjoyed that anniversary edition they released a few years back. Not a regular listen, but it was cool to hear those songs as demos and how they were brought to life.

It was a terrible tragedy that Dave Pritchard passed. And I think John going to Anthrax and Armored Saint going silent was a bummer for people who were fans back then (I only really discovered Armored Saint in the early 2000s through my wife). But I have to say, those non-Saint years really enabled Joey to blossom as a songwriter. When they came back with Revelation, it was pretty intense. He really wrote some great riffs. And even now, I think this last record, Win Hands Down, is the best thing they've done since Symbol, and that's pretty much all Joey musically, and all John's vocal melodies and lyrics.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

Off topic, but it's Tony Martin singing a Xmas song ffs  :omg:

https://youtu.be/xAjTEPRDgpA

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Weird Christmas tune.

I'm still hoping that Iommi does another project of some kind with Martin in 2017

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow - last week Randy Rhoads would've been 60  :'( 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Damn!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Dunno if I want to click on this or not.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You know you do! ;D

It's actually not bad. A shame Tony Martin has not been more active. He sounds pretty good here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
 :metal
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

:metal

I couldn't get past the first two songs

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You know you do! ;D

It's actually not bad. A shame Tony Martin has not been more active. He sounds pretty good here.

He sounds cool, not my thing though.  But yeah, it is a shame he isn't more active, his song on Magnus Karlsson's album was amazing too and he sounded fantastic.

But now, I'll match your Tony Martin and raise you a Blaze Bayley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYyOw9IZHI0

:biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
what in the blue hell was that lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
a few of the better 2016 albums for me that I don't think were mentioned were Sunburst, Death Angel, Almanac, Witherscape (heh), Omnium Gatherum (HA!), and Myrath.

Brent, go back to those first two Eternal Champion songs if you haven't already and see if one of them warrants a spot.

just took a listen to the latest Tygers of Pan Tang that came out just a month or two ago.  My initial impression was that is was pretty solid with a couple of tracks I thought were really good.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
re: Tony Martin -- I could have sworn I read multiple times this year that him and Iommi are planning on doing stuff together (or Iommi and he wanted to) after Sabbath called it a day.

Anyone else remember that?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
re: Tony Martin -- I could have sworn I read multiple times this year that him and Iommi are planning on doing stuff together (or Iommi and he wanted to) after Sabbath called it a day.

Anyone else remember that?

yeah that was reported a few months back and it's likely in regards to the Headless Cross, Tyr, Cross Purposes and Forbidden reissues.  Those are the last ones left for the Sabbath back catalogue and I think Tony wanted a couple of new songs for them.  It would be awesome if this actually happens, and it sounds like Iommi and Martin made amends.  I don't think there was major heat between the two to begin with, so by all accounts this should happen.  I would imagine that Iommi would like to work with Martin because there would be much less drama then working with Ozzy and should be easy going.  There is still demand for those Martin albums and I would be getting the upcoming reissues for sure!

Offline Lowdz

a few of the better 2016 albums for me that I don't think were mentioned were Sunburst, Death Angel, Almanac, Witherscape (heh), Omnium Gatherum (HA!), and Myrath.

Brent, go back to those first two Eternal Champion songs if you haven't already and see if one of them warrants a spot.

just took a listen to the latest Tygers of Pan Tang that came out just a month or two ago.  My initial impression was that is was pretty solid with a couple of tracks I thought were really good.

I really enjoyed it when I played it a couple of weeks ago. Put it on my Xmas list.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm - new Place Vendome

https://youtu.be/WN_BFSOxdck

The riffs are starting to get "samey" (if they weren't already) and not sure I like what Kiske is doing with his voice early in the verses.   Sounds like he has a mouth full of Oreos and is singing out the corner of his mouth.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:07:43 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
not sure I like what Kiske is doing with his voice early in the verses.   Sounds like he has a mouth full or Oreos and is singing out the corner of his mouth.
:lol

It does. he needs some milk!

As awesome as the first PV album was, it is a suck project. The last album was so fucking bad Winger laughed at it.

This is actually better than anything I heard off the last album though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I'm glad I'm not the only one put off by the voice. :lol
It sounded fine up till then, although nothing new.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You don't like Oreos??

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I like the taste of Oreos, but not the sound. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns