Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906660 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw Orianthi in Alice Cooper's band.

And now Nita is in.............................Alice Cooper's band  :D

Oh, is that right? 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep - Alice seems to be on a chick guitar thang at the moment.   If Nita leaves he might resurrect Jennifer Batten.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If Nita leaves he might resurrect Jennifer Batten.

I don't know who that is.

So I'm going through some 2016 albums and I spinning this today:

Is this some sort of joke? Are they serious? I mean on the surface it's a great album. But, if Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, and Powerslave had a three way, this would be the baby.

Direct ripoffs. Direct.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep - and I like it better than Book of Souls (and a lot of their other albums) .   They're a bit more straight ahead metal than Maiden , with some cool guitar work - don't tend to waffle around as much,  which is when Maiden tend to lose me.

It's an interesting topic though - at what point does it go from being awesome (influenced by.........) to totally lame rip off.   For me if the songs are there I don't tend to care as long as the songs themselves aren't stealing riffs/lines .

I don't know Maiden like the back of my hand like you do Tim ,so it's likely not as obvious.  I know Hath and a couple of the other guys really enjoyed the Monument album .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yep - and I like it better than Book of Souls .   
:rollin

If I had the time, I could do a lengthy timestamp comparison. It's ridiculous.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep - and I like it better than Book of Souls .   
:rollin

I felt the same about the fapping over Book of Souls.  ;)

Speaking of music that everyone around DTF can't seem to get enough of - just listened to the new Haken.  Zzzzzzz

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TBOS was the first Reunion Era album where I didn't like the latest one as much or more than the previous one.  I rate it 4th or 5th among them.
That said, Empire Of The Clouds is a masterpiece. A crowning moment of the Reunion Era.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm checking out that Monument band right now.

Check out "A Bridge Too Far".  Thats the most Aces High song that isn't Aces High.

They would probably make more money just being an Iron Maiden cover band

Offline Lowdz

I really like that Monument. Probably because it's so early Maiden.

I like BoS too, more than any of the reunion albums, but I've not given most of them much time, AMOLAD apart.

On a similar subject to the Monument/Maiden thing, played Voodoo Circle's last one yesterday and mostly enjoyed it. I'm with Brent on the ' influence ' thing. As long as it isn't plagiarism I'm ok with it. VC often fall foul of that though.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I don't mind Monument aping Maiden, it's quality stuff.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I need to check out that Monument.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Pretty cool. I like it.

https://bravewords.com/news/steve-grimmett-s-grim-reaper-premier-walking-in-the-shadows-music-video

Listening to the album now on Spotify. Pretty damn solid.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:50:08 PM by TAC »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I had to minimize the video in order to listen to the whole song. Not bad, I suppose but not really my cuppa anymore.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty cool. I like it.

https://bravewords.com/news/steve-grimmett-s-grim-reaper-premier-walking-in-the-shadows-music-video

Listening to the album now on Spotify. Pretty damn solid.

I don't know if it's me, but I thought that was pretty shit, and the vocals are awful.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hah!

Well that's the best track. So don't bother.

Just got through it on Spotify. Half of it is decent, the other half is meh.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hah!

That's the best track?  Bloody hell, yeah I certainly won't bother.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Any 2016 albums I may have missed?
Recommendations?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
did you happen to check out that Eternal Champion I posted a couple days ago?
Winger would be better!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No, I meant to. Will do so right now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

3 Songs in. Pretty cool. Jonathan, did you ever check out the Lords Of The Trident album from last year. This reminds me of it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hah!

Grimmett is one of my faves but even I thought it was just okay ......78% from me .  Solid melodic metal but pretty one dimensional and he did struggle here and there.  Some context though - the guy is 57 and trying to pull it off like he's 27.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a struggle but at his age I think he's doing a pretty good job.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think a 78% is actually kind of generous. A few decent tracks. A real classic feel. Anyway, I kind of stumbled upon it, and it's only 50 minutes.
Listening to Hath's Eternal Champion. I'm hearing some Riot in it as well.

@ Hath, just finished. Really enjoyed that. Thank you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Hath's Eternal Champion.

The rest of the original band is now called Champion of Fire .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Hath's Eternal Champion.

The rest of the original band is now called Champion of Fire .

Eternally.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I think a 78% is actually kind of generous. A few decent tracks. A real classic feel. Anyway, I kind of stumbled upon it, and it's only 50 minutes.
Listening to Hath's Eternal Champion. I'm hearing some Riot in it as well.

@ Hath, just finished. Really enjoyed that. Thank you.

:tup

cool!  Hopefully those guys come up to Dallas in the near future.

3 Songs in. Pretty cool. Jonathan, did you ever check out the Lords Of The Trident album from last year. This reminds me of it.

no.  I vaguely remember that being mentioned here but never did listen.  I'll have to seek it out.
Winger would be better!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Frostburn is the name of the album. Best track is Shattered Skies. The lyrics can be a little corny, though. But I enjoyed the album. Not earth shattering, but pretty easy on the ears.

Offline Lowdz

;D

Must be a good eatery on that remote island of a forgotten planet in a lost galaxy...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of Sambora a page back, did anyone see his performance at the NRL Grand Final?!  Holy shit!!  :rollin  No wonder people blasted him on social media, he has no business performing like that, fucking horrid.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I don't watch any sportball, but I heard about how awful his performance was. I would have watched just that bit if I'd known though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Speaking of Sambora a page back, did anyone see his performance at the NRL Grand Final?!  Holy shit!!  :rollin  No wonder people blasted him on social media, he has no business performing like that, fucking horrid.

Didn't bother to check it out but yeah.............was lead story on news.com.au (shitty tabloid for News Corp) for a day or two. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I've seen a lot worse tbh..................and Jon Bon Jovi would've sounded worse  :lol

Compare the pair  ;D

https://youtu.be/XZdiaFXW2U8?t=340

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Here you go boys;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVVLSvt3vT8

Thanks! I was actually expecting worse given the buildup. It wasn't great, but it wasn't a complete trainwreck either. Definitely not up to standard for a big stadium performance that's being televised, and definitely not worth what they were charging for the gigs here. But it was an acceptable standard for a pub cover band. :lol

I've seen a lot worse tbh..................and Jon Bon Jovi would've sounded worse  :lol

Compare the pair  ;D

https://youtu.be/XZdiaFXW2U8?t=340

What the fuck is happening. :lol That is pure ear rape.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Living on A Prayer I'd classify as a trainwreck.   Dead or Alive wasn't as bad.

Oh, the Meat Loaf, that's the immortal one, nothing will ever ouch that, love it.

This is amusing too.  Poor old Billy, it wasn't his fault!  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIChaxdSPHk