Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 905979 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Look out for a special bracket for them in the next podcast which (even if I do say so) is already a must listen.. 

They are ALL Must Listens!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I probably discover half a dozen new bands most weeks (most of them rubbish) and am rarely rewarded for my trawling , but today I have been.  This is quite possibly the first album I have found since my Top 50 that could maybe steal a spot with time.   It's an unknown gem from that early 90's period (there are so many of those) with a great singer, great guitarist  (with some groove that most are missing) and music that is quite varied and interesting with a mostly hard rock/metal context.  Everything from straight up metal to Spanish guitars , blues, ballads...............you name it. 

Another recent first - I have listened to that same album 3 times in a row.  I used to do that regularly (listen albums to death) but almost never these days.

My rating : 97%

Look out for a special bracket for them in the next podcast which (even if I do say so) is already a must listen..  For an indication as to the heaviness of the metal side of this feature band, think Fifth Angel/Arch Rival/TNT.

New Fates Warning up next , but need to listen to this one again  :metal

Very interesting. Would I know it?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Queensryche/Armored Saint tour! :omg:

https://bravewords.com/news/queensryche-announce-us-fall-headline-tour-with-armored-saint-midnight-eternal

Wut? No Boston date??
Yup.  I don't really care for Saint.  But that is a good pairing.  Those that have been decrying them touring with "hair metal" bands can now officially chill.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

https://bravewords.com/news/queensryche-announce-us-fall-headline-tour-with-armored-saint-midnight-eternal

Wut? No Boston date??

Talk about putting the screws directly into you Tim. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Very interesting. Would I know it?

Hard to say - I didn't know them but you might

Wut? No Boston date??

Talk about putting the screws directly into you Tim. 

Armored Saint also co-headlined some dates with Metal Church earlier in the month - that would've been awesome too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Armored Saint. Along with Accept (especially classic Accept), they are in the back end of my Top 10 bands.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Symbol of Salvation was #40 in my DTF Top 50 - probably should've been higher.  So yeah - not Top 10 for me but very influential in my life all the same.

And #40 means a lot when it's out of a squillion albums :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm very proud of you! :tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
New album coming from these guys Paul

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42201.msg2038745#msg2038745

Sorry - had to resurrect that one  :angel:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:16:02 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
An Armored Saint/Queensryche double billing is like a dream concert!  It doesnt get much better then that

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
WTF is this??
https://bravewords.com/news/ratt-to-perform-as-direct-support-for-miranda-lambert

Is Blotzer the only original guy in Ratt? Why the F would anyone care about this band? Does anyone still listen to them? They sucked when they were good ( which was never)!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That singer is actually damn good live , but yeah............Blotzer has his cover band (the best one),  Croucier has his one where he sings.  Unfortunately the main talent (Demartini) is doing nothing.  Bloody weird gig combo there.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of Miranda Lambert, but I don't like the sounds of this at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New album coming from these guys Paul

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42201.msg2038745#msg2038745

Sorry - had to resurrect that one  :angel:

Fuck yeah, looking forward to this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was just in the package store tonight, and Back In Black (the song) was on. Damn, if that isn't one of the greatest hard rock songs ever recorded.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I was just in the package store tonight, and Back In Black (the song) was on. Damn, if that isn't one of the greatest hard rock songs ever recorded.

Package store seems like a code for something else lol

But yeah, that song and album can only be described as classic. Actually I would say my favorite song from that album is probably the least known tune- Let Me Put My Love Into You

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Denner/Shermann vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdFlFM-OObw

I don't know what to think of this.  I actually think it lacks some balls and is pretty damn cheesy, but it's something that could grow on me.  Seems flat and the guitars aren't powerful at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Package store seems like a code for something else lol

Package Store is code for where we buy alcohol! :lol

Offline Lowdz

Just leaving this here. Rainbow, soldier of fortune

https://youtu.be/uNbH7X6JOBw

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Just leaving this here. Rainbow, soldier of fortune

https://youtu.be/uNbH7X6JOBw

I was there. Phenomenal gig.  I had shivers throughout the whole concert.  Stargazer was unreal.   :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy shit... I was they'd come to Russia with this gig. I have shivers from just listening to this YouTube vid. This is one of my favourite ballads ever.

Edit: is there any information if they filmed it for a live release or something? I would buy this in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:25:43 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, a great setlist!

That dude has some pipes. What an amazing job he does on Catch The Rainbow. WOW!!!!!

Offline Lowdz

Awesome vocalist. Takes on several great and the inquest singers' works and nails them.
So gutted I missed this. More dates needed.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Great performance!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Primal Fear recording a CD/DVD from this tour.
https://bravewords.com/news/primal-fears-mat-sinner-weve-recorded-a-concert-for-a-dvd-and-live-cd

Looking at the band picture, do they really have 3 guitar players?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool, Primal Fear is overdue for a live album.

Still waiting on Symphony X and Queensryche to also release one

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I'm watching the Red Sox tonight and this season, they are highlighting the Pennant Winning 1986 team for it's 30th Anniversary.

In that spirit, here are the shows I saw in 1986. I turned 18 in September of that year.

I had tix to see Ozzy/Metallica in April, but the show was postponed to September. I ended up selling my tickets because Metallica was not part of the rescheduled show. Queensryche was, and frankly I was not a fan of The Ultimate Sin or Rage For Order.

1986..3/18..Aerosmith, Ted Nugent.. Providence Civic Center
1986..6/4..Judas Priest, Dokken.. Providence Civic Center
1986..6/14..UFO..The Living Room, Providence
1986..6/18..Dio, Accept.. Providence Civic Center
1986..8/22..Van Halen, Bachman Turner Overdrive.. Providence Civic Center
1986..9/14..Emerson Lake and Powell..Providence Performing Arts Center
1986..9/19..AC/DC, Loudness.. Providence Civic Center
1986..11/19..Alice Cooper, Vinnie Vincent Invasion..Worcester Centrum

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know what's more of a TAC ultimate show

Iron Maiden/Dream Theater or Dio/Accept?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't know what's more of a TAC ultimate show

Iron Maiden/Dream Theater or Dio/Accept?

Or Iron Maiden/Accept (6/2/85) or Iron Maiden/Dio (7/18/98)  ;D

I saw Dio in 1985 with Vivian on the Sacred Heart tour. He did an abbreviated tour in '86 with Crag Goldie. So happy to see Accept again. I loved Russian Roulette.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Primal Fear recording a CD/DVD from this tour.
https://bravewords.com/news/primal-fears-mat-sinner-weve-recorded-a-concert-for-a-dvd-and-live-cd

Looking at the band picture, do they really have 3 guitar players?

Yes.  Magnus doesn't tour, they only go on the road with Alex and Tom.  Tom is a returning member that has been with the band on and off since the very start.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ok cool. Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok cool. Thanks!

I know what you were thinking, but I don't think the band ever considered changing their simplistic sound to somehow involve 3 guitarists, it just sort of worked out that way with the lineups, it wasn't a move done on purpose.  Magnus was a member before Alex and he rarely toured and Alex was always being the fill in live guitarist for Magnus.  When Henny left, it was only natural that Alex became an actual member.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cool. I wasn't thinking anything really. I assumed they had two guitarists so I was surprised to see a pic with 3 of them. I have bought their last few albums, but on Amazon mp3, so obviously no booklet.

This sounds interesting:
https://bravewords.com/news/rik-emmett-reunites-with-triumph-bandmates-for-res9-project-rush-dream-theater-members-also-involved

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns