Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 902485 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I saw that yesterday.  Billy at 1:15 saying "WTF?"  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I've had the Live record from 1980, and got into them with "Slide It In", but I recently went back and filled in the blanks and you're not kidding.  Some good stuff.   If you're into it, try to find the UK version of Slide It In, before they added the Sykes solos and keyboard patches.   Fits in nicely with the rest of those records.

I've heard the UK remastered version of the song Slide It In, but not the whole album.  I absolutely love Sykes' solo on Slide it In.  It is unquestionably one of my favorite guitar solos.  The UK version has a pretty good and melodic solo, but it's just not the same for me.

Also, holy bass drum!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Here's some rare Soto for you Tim  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJ6CxnPj_Q
:lol
Dude, WTF?? I saw this post this morning when I got to work, around 5:00 AM. It's all I thought about, so after an 11 hour work day, I race to my computer for this?????

I do have a question though. Is Kotzen a chick with a mustache?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I've had the Live record from 1980, and got into them with "Slide It In", but I recently went back and filled in the blanks and you're not kidding.  Some good stuff.   If you're into it, try to find the UK version of Slide It In, before they added the Sykes solos and keyboard patches.   Fits in nicely with the rest of those records.

I've heard the UK remastered version of the song Slide It In, but not the whole album.  I absolutely love Sykes' solo on Slide it In.  It is unquestionably one of my favorite guitar solos.  The UK version has a pretty good and melodic solo, but it's just not the same for me.

Also, holy bass drum!

It was always hard to ignore Cozy.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm sorry to say this, but WASP's Electric Circus has not aged well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I'm sorry to say this, but WASP's Electric Circus has not aged well.

It was half a great album I always thought - similar to Last Command in that respect. The next two rule though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, it was at best half a good album in 1986. Restless Gypsy is still amazing though. But those lyrics to Shoot From The Hip and 95 Nasty.. :facepalm:  Though both tracks are good musically.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Aside from a track or three from each album (Electric Circus/Last Command) my focus has always been on the s/t , Headless Children and Crimson Idol.   The debut was one of my first genuine metal albums and is fanfuckingtastic.   Headless Children was the one I chose for my Top 50 but they are all awesome.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
For me, the first five WASP albums are essential metal listening; especially the debut.  I really like Electric Circus, and would probably pick it over Last Command overall.  However, "Wild Child" is my favorite WASP tune.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Even though I bought the tape of The Headless Children when it came out, I honestly couldn't tell you the first thing about it. Looking forward to re-rediscovering it. Spinning it tomorrow.

Offline Lowdz

For me, the first five WASP albums are essential metal listening; especially the debut.  I really like Electric Circus, and would probably pick it over Last Command overall.  However, "Wild Child" is my favorite WASP tune.

Blackie's too. He's rewritten it several times since!   :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Here's some rare Soto for you Tim  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJ6CxnPj_Q

Hahaha I'm glad I stumbled in this thread. That was gravy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Aside from a track or three from each album (Electric Circus/Last Command) my focus has always been on the s/t , Headless Children and Crimson Idol.   The debut was one of my first genuine metal albums and is fanfuckingtastic.   Headless Children was the one I chose for my Top 50 but they are all awesome.

Same.  Those two simply don't match the quality of the three around it.  I always found the dip in quality for those two albums really weird considering how amazing the first album is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Curious.

KAI HANSEN TO RELEASE DEBUT SOLO ALBUM “XXX” IN AUGUST 2016 AND ANNOUNCES DONATION TO WACKEN FOUNDATION.
EXCLUSIVE PERFORMANCE AT WACKEN OPEN AIR FESTIVAL 2016.

KAI HANSEN, earMUSIC and WACKEN Foundation are happy to announce the release of "XXX", the first "solo project" album by Kai Hansen, one of the most influential guitarists and singers to emerge from Germany during the first part of the 80s. First with ground-breaking band HELLOWEEN (of which Hansen is one of the founding members) and later with GAMMA RAY, one of the bands that contributed to define the genre power metal, bringing it to generation of devoted fans worldwide since its first album.

"XXX" is, in pure Hansen tongue-in-cheek style, a reference to over 30 years of involvement in the world of heavy rock, as explained with the album's sub-title "Three Decades In Metal".

The album will be released in August 2016 on earMUSIC with further news to be shared soon.

"XXX" is a magical journey. It is the story of how powerful dreams can be. Dreams and passions big enough to bring a teenager from Hamburg who is in love with rock music, glam rock and the first heavy metal sounds from the practicing space in his bedroom and rehearsal rooms to the biggest stages in the world practicing, and ending up influencing and sharing the stage with the very same bands he admired in the first place.

Not strictly autobiographical, "XXX" is without doubt the story of Kai Hansen but it could very well represent the story of anybody who is not afraid to believe in dreams, with passion and dedication. It is the story of the ups and downs that everybody faces at some point during the journey of life: the lost and found-again friends, the glory, the tragedies and the joys.

After the achievements enjoyed by Hansen lately with Unisonic and especially Gamma Ray's recent work "Empire Of The Undead", Kai Hansen has started working on the album with no precise commercial masterplan. Just playing music with the same spirit as in the very beginning.

This certainly was the reason for Hansen to communicate to his label the intention of donating the first advance payment he will receive for XXX - which in the meantime was shaping into a proper album - to the Wacken Foundation. A foundation which helps and supports young hard rock and heavy metal bands for over seven years now: Musicians full of hopes and dreams, exactly as Hansen had in the beginning of the 30 years story told on this album... in the hope that one day, somebody could tell another 30 years long magic story, also thanks to this album.

Together with Hansen, a stellar band of musicians gravitating around the Chameleon Studio in Hamburg has formed spontaneously:
Alex Dietz (guitar player of Heaven Shall Burn) on bass, Eike Freese (who already worked as engineer and co-producer with Hansen on the last Gamma Ray album) on guitar and phenomenal drummer Daniel Wilding (Carcass). The four will be joined by various guests, ranging from friends to followers to heroes – some having played a significant part in Kai's career, some who have expressed the wish to join the project with the same spirit that is leading Kai, Alex, Eike and Daniel to create loud music with joy, freedom and determination.

Kai & friends will do an exclusive one-time performance at this year’s Wacken Open Air Festival, introducing the songs from the album to the audience for the first and only time.

Talking about XXX (while in the studio, recording guitars) KAI HANSEN has declared:
“30 years in metal, that’s a damn long time. Over the course of all these years, I never recorded a solo album. It is quite nice and a hell lot of fun to create something without any boundaries and to get a fresh view on music. I am celebrating 30 years of being able to do what I like best... On ‘XXX’ I am reflecting on my roots, where I come from, how it all started for me. I believe you need a certain drive, passion and of course a bit of luck and coincidence to make it in the music world – and of course some financial support. This is where the Wacken Foundation came to my mind. They are helping people, musicians just like me, who want to make it. And I remember having had help myself, from my family, the families from the other band members – and by doing a paper round. So hopefully, with my donation, young musicians are given the same chance that I was given a long time ago, too. And who knows, maybe we all will be playing together at Wacken in 20 years…”
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I saw that earlier today. Interesting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to that one, does sound very interesting.  perhaps we'll hear some Walls of Jericho influenced stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What's up with Kai's hair these days ? :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What's up with Kade's hair these days ? :lol

Kade, I hope you take this comment into account when grading the tracks in your roulette!!!
I would never say anything like that. ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What's up with Kade's hair these days ? :lol

Kade, I hope you take this comment into account when grading the tracks in your roulette!!!
I would never say anything like that. ;D

Unfotunately Tim, Brent's right, his wig is fucking awful.

:facepalm:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think you missed what Tim did to the name in the quote Kade  ;)

And yeah........that makes Mark Boals look like Fabio.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I tried my first new Malmsteen album in years just now.........and not glad I did.  Dialled in , sounds like shit.  60%

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

I tried my first new Malmsteen album in years just now.........and not glad I did.  Dialled in , sounds like shit.  60%

And you expected something else?

He needs an outside ear and a singer, a great one. I don't think I'll even bother.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think you missed what Tim did to the name in the quote Kade  ;)

And yeah........that makes Mark Boals look like Fabio.

Ah, that motherfucker!!  :hat  :facepalm:

For fucks sake Yngwie, what the hell are you doing!?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty safe but solid Hotel California cover by Jorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZbMZrNdy9U

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
It's technically not a bad cover, but his modern metal sound doesn't work well for that song imo. As always, no problem with the vocals.
I'd like to hear him adapt and change his sound when covering songs, instead of making every song sound the same.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Even thought this covers album sounds solid, there's really no reason to purchase it or listen to it more than once IMO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I agree. A lot of these covers are more curiosities to me. I am interested to hear how they sound, but once I've heard them, I don't imagine I'll want to listen to them repeatedly.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Flots vid for Life Is A Mess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI8rWo2osaU

Kade, I was going to send this track next round. Should've sent it last round..

Anyway, it's easily my favorite track off the new album. They haven't played in this style in a looooooong time. Classic Flots. This album is killer, and Jason Bittner is ridiculous on this album!

Offline cfmoran13

Anyway, it's easily my favorite track off the new album. They haven't played in this style in a looooooong time. Classic Flots. This album is killer, and Jason Bittner is ridiculous on this album!
When you say "Classic Flots", do you mean Doomsday and No Place or Cuatro and Drift?  I started at Cuatro, which I love.  I tried to go back to the earlier stuff.  But, the production and a younger AK's voice kinda turned me off.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Classic for me is No Place, and Doomsday, if you will. My two favorite are easily No Place and When The Storm Comes Down. While it has aged quite well, I remember being very disappointed with Cuatro. I think they dipped with Drift, but I quite like High. Still it's the early speedy Flots that I love, and this new album is the closest they've ever come to the early vibe.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Pretty damn good.  Nice mix of Metal Church, Overkill and Anthrax.  This would have rated a lot better Tim, great metal.  Another band to add to the list.

Offline Lowdz

So I gave in and spotifyed the new Yngwie album. Brent, you were too kind. It's fucking abysmal. Lots of instrumentals thankfully, but they all sound the same with the same few licks repeated in a different order.
On a positive, the last track was ok but it's probably a classical melody he's stolen.

Shit. Shit. shit

Don't bother.