Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 905820 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/accepts-wolf-hoffmann-to-release-headbangers-symphony-solo-album-in-july/

Could be interesting.  Didn't kow he already had one classical style stolo album.

I have that somewhere. Not as great as I expected.

That sucks.  I would have liked a straightforward heavy metal album with guests and shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

Nothing official yet but I'm told Queensryche will be touring Oz in October :yeahbaby:

Brisbane better be on the fucking schedule.

Yeah, I'm loving this new Anthrax, good to have the cd and put it in the car.  :metal

Queensryche Australian Tour Dates:

Tuesday 11th October – BRISBANE, The Triffid

Thursday 13th October – ADELAIDE, Fowlers Live

Friday 14th October – MELBOURNE, Prince Bandroom

Saturday 15th October – SYDNEY, Manning Bar

Ticketing

Pre-Sale: 28th April 9:00am - 1st May 5:00pm

GA Sale: 2nd May 9:00am

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice.   The Prince in Melbourne holds about 900 to give an idea on the crowds they are expecting. 

If the promoter knows his shit (and there's some shockers around atm) this should sell out well in advance.    At least I hope ....... Steel Panther play in front of 5 times that in Melbourne  :lol

EDIT   That's the guys that did DT so should be well promoted.  Just shows you how QR have fallen vs DT.  DT played to around 3000 in Melbourne
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I think Manning Bar holds about 500 people, if I recall. It's not a huge room. I saw Arch Enemy there a few years ago. The main venue up from that is the Enmore Theatre which holds about 1500 (great venue). There are a few odd venues in between those sizes though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The damage done to the Queensryche name was quite high. They are still turning things around but I don't think there is any question they now deserve to be playing to more then a few hundred people.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This sounds and looks a bit more like Skid Row

https://youtu.be/6Ut0QQidiuE

Gotta admire their stubbornness - they could be out on the road with Bach and GnR making $$$$$$$$$

Got my Queensryche tix this morning :2metal:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
This sounds and looks a bit more like Skid Row

https://youtu.be/6Ut0QQidiuE

Gotta admire their stubbornness - they could be out on the road with Bach and GnR making $$$$$$$$$

I'd love to hear Skid Row do an album with Sebastian Bach. Haven't cared for anything either one of them has done in the 20 years since they split.
That sounded good. The singer was struggling a little on the highest notes, but he was doing his damndest Bach impression, and fit in well. The band was sounding great too, but do we really need a 12 minute long version of Monkey Business? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Do we know why it didn't work out and who's to blame for it?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cfmoran13

Do we know why it didn't work out and who's to blame for it?
The main issue is between Rachel Bolan and Bach.  We all know Bach was a complete douche back in the day.  But, you know what, people grow up (at least a little, hopefully).  And, Bolan has absolutely no interest in patching things up.  He doesn't even refer to Bach by name in interviews. 

I would call it stupidity over stubbornness.  Try and talk it out.  Best case scenario, they work things out and increase their draw considerably.  Worst case, Bach is still a douche and they keep going with whatever cr@ppy singer they want, playing to 25-50 people a night.  But, if it does work, the first show they play, they're playing in front of more people than they've seen in the last 6 months combined.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
The damage done to the Queensryche name was quite high. They are still turning things around but I don't think there is any question they now deserve to be playing to more then a few hundred people.

Absolutely. They put on an AMAZING show last summer. I brought my 12 year old and we had a blast right up against the barricade. They are SO great about catering to the fans. They have a great social media person, whoever it is, who made a point to "like" my photos I took and tagged them in, and commented on at least one of them. I was excited, not gonna lie. Todd LaTorre is spectacular and I feel bad that I was hesitant to go see the "new" lineup. Great, great show. Can't wait to get a chance to see them again, whenever they come back around. They even play to the fans - as in, when they see you trying to get a photo they step right up and pose for you and whatnot. :lol :hat I wish I didn't have a body guard's face in every shot I Took or I'd post some.

edit - example:

~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline cfmoran13

When I saw them back in December, Todd went so far as to take the people's phones/cameras and snap some pictures of himself and the band and then hand the device back.  He seems like a very cool guy... and a phenomenal singer.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Well we all know what happens when Tate gets hold of your phone.

Shows again how good a decision it was to replace him and how bad a decision it was to keep him for so long.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cfmoran13

Well we all know what happens when Tate gets hold of your phone.

Shows again how good a decision it was to replace him and how bad a decision it was to keep him for so long.
And, good news... I saw a recent headline that Tate would never go back to QR.  Phew!  I was worried for a second there.   :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I feel so lucky that I got to see like the 3rd or 4th show with Todd here in Toronto 3 years ago.  Was such an amazing night.  Todd is a class act all the way, and a fantabulous performer.  He did that 'take the phone from a fan' thing that night too - I'll bet he does it a lot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The vocalist from Voodoo Circle has left the band. :( :(  Just when they'd released one of my favourite hard rock albums in a long time.

The only answer is to get Jorn.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The vocalist from Voodoo Circle has left the band. :( :(  Just when they'd released one of my favourite hard rock albums in a long time.

The only answer is to get Jorn.

Fuck, that's a big blow.  Depending on who they get, I may even lose interest in them now.  Major blow.  Jorn could definitely work.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Vocalist is a huge blow. I'm very particular on vocalists, and he was a big part of their sound, especially with the Whitesnake vibe they have going. Even if the music is still good, if they don't have a vocalist who can pull of that style, it's going to fall short.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, especially when you're doing stuff that's so generic.

Have you heard any of Readman's stuff Blob?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, especially when you're doing stuff that's so generic.

:lol Payback for my Vega comments? Or was that a general statement?

And what stuff do you mean in particular? I've heard a song or two, but not much.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought you'd take it like that, but I totally meant it.  :lol  As you say, the singer carries the band and when you're doing something like the style they are that's been done a million times, the singer makes or breaks it IMO.

He is most known for his work with Pink Cream 69 and has done like 10 albums with them.  I'm not familiar with all of them but I like the last one Ceremonial, In10sity and Thunderdome is highly rated too.  Electrified is solid too, as the the live album from a few years ago.

He also sung in neoclassical prog metal band Adagio on their first two albums which are solid too.

You might like his solo album though, features Alex from Voodoo Circle on guitar too.  That's a really good melodic hard rock album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll check it out. I've only listened to one or two recent Pink Cream songs that didn't do much for me, and an early one before he joined that was ok. Nothing I like nearly as much as the most recent Voodoo Circle.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes !  New Denner/Shermann album in june.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dennershermann-feat-mercyful-fate-guitarists-masters-of-evil-album-due-in-june/

Good stuff  :metal

Early (LQ) footage of Axl/DC ............based on that he's doing a pretty good job of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=XymxcG7pdqI&app=desktop

And hopefully something like this will eventually become "our" version of a genuine Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.................look at all the glaring ommisions.........Diana Ross, LLCoolJ , NWA........

Paul Stanley (KISS), Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH, BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION), Carmine Appice (ROD STEWART, OZZY OSBOURNE, VANILLA FUDGE), Rudy Sarzo (OZZY OSBOURNE, QUIET RIOT, DIO), Vinny Appice (BLACK SABBATH, DIO, HEAVEN & HELL) and Steve Vai (FRANK ZAPPA, DAVID LEE ROTH) will be honored at the Heavy Rock Icon Awards, set to take place May 22 at the Whisky A Go Go in West Hollywood, California.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I gotta say I'm quite impressed with Axl's performance with ACDC.

A studio album might be interesting

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I heard the leaked rehearsals and Axl was sounding good, and I was enjoying the hell out of this live clip. They're back in standard tuning, and he's singing the studio melodies, which Johnson hasn't been about to do in 25+ years if ever. It's not perfect, but that roughness around the edges is part of that style, and he really is the perfect fit vocally for this material.

Offline Lowdz

I gotta say I'm quite impressed with Axl's performance with ACDC.

A studio album might be interesting

With Axl's recorded they'd be dead before that came out.
He sounded good. Fits his voice pretty well.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
A year 2030 release is still realistic

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

Somebody might miss K.D. in the line up, but the vocalist that can be heard on Satan's Tomb and, if I'm not mistaken, is on the upcoming album,  fits just fine.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Now that the huge run of roulettes is gradually coming to an end I can spend a bit more time in here.   If anyone is still interested I am putting the finishing touches to (and scraping the cobwebs off) the podcast I started very early in the year.  Pretty much having to learn the caper all over again :lol

Should have something for you before the end of the week.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Now that the huge run of roulettes is gradually coming to an end I can spend a bit more time in here.   If anyone is still interested I am putting the finishing touches to (and scraping the cobwebs off) the podcast I started very early in the year.  Pretty much having to learn the caper all over again :lol

Should have something for you before the end of the week.

'bout damned time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
^^^

what he said.  But I probably won't listen until my roulette is finished.  :'(