Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 906250 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Just got Voodoo Circle - Whisky Fingers. On first listen, I'm definitely digging it. I feel a much stronger early Whitesnake / Purple influence on this one.
The end of the chorus of Heartbreaking Woman sounds like Love Hunter. The Rhythm of My Heart is Ain't No Love In The Heart of the City. Devil Takes Me Down has shades of Burn.
The style is more bluesy than the last one, still with the modern hard rock sound to it. And the production is excellent. Really nice to listen to.

I might end up liking this even more than the last one. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll definitely get it, but not liking that you mention it's more blues.  The last one was very good though.  Good to see they are keeping their influences alive.  ::)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure why I haven't checked out Voodoo Circle before today, but I've just been playing some songs of theirs and they kick serious ass.  Silent Force meets Whitesnake!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
They are a good solid band Jason.  The last one especially was all solid.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Maybe I'll check them out too. Anyone of note in the band?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll definitely get it, but not liking that you mention it's more blues.  The last one was very good though.  Good to see they are keeping their influences alive.  ::)

All I meant is that I'd say it's closer in style to Broken Heart Syndrome, but much better written imo, and still with the heavier / more modern sound of the last one. It just borrows more from classic Whitesnake than 1987 S/T era than the last one, and I think the influence is less blatant and more latent. :P Kinda like modern Whitesnake, really. If you like the last one, I think you should like this one too.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:46:06 PM by BlobVanDam »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was going to post this in the "What album are you listening thread" but decided I'd post this here.

We road tripped for Thanksgiving, so I tried something new to figure what to listen to. I decided I'd go A-Z picking one artist per letter.
So it went like this:

Ben n Brent's Rock n Roll podcast... :metal :metal Nice job guys
Armored Saint-Win Hands Down....This is a GREAT album. John Bush might be my favorite lyricist.
Bruce Dickinson-Balls To Picasso...Haven't heard this in a awhile. I never truly appreciated Bruce until I heard this album
Cooper, Alice  ;D-Raise Your Fist And Yell...A couple duds on the first side but side 2 is absolutely killer!
Dio-Holy Diver....Damn. Just Damn.
Enbound-And She Says Gold...I'll take a second album anytime, fellas!
Flotsam & Jetsam-When The Storm Comes Down...The great metal air drumming album of all time!
Glass Mind-Haunting Regrets....See Enbound
Helloween-Keepers Pt2....One of the 3 greatest vocal performances these ears have ever heard
Iced Earth-The Glorious Burden..Had a craving for Gettysburg 1863, especially after driving by the exit. Jon Schaffer absolutely nails this.
Joe Perry Project-I've Got The Rock n Rolls Again...A TAC classic.

We hit the road in a couple hours and I'll resume with a great "K" selection.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Some great albums right there!!

XYZ for X?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Well we already know what W's going to be.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol
What's so funny about Waysted?  :P

Some great albums right there!!

XYZ for X?

Just realized I don't have any X or Z on my iPod!  :omg:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm totally with you on Enbound and Glass Mind.  Sadly, GM doesn't have a vocalist anymore - they have published 3 different instrumentals on YT over the last couple of years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Maybe I'll check them out too. Anyone of note in the band?

David Readman from pink Cream 69 doing his best Coverdale impression. Alex Beyrodt from Silent Force and Primal Fear. So yes  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks Lowdz. Someone gave me a very nice PC 69 tune in my roulette. I'll check it out.

Sadly, GM doesn't have a vocalist anymore - 

As much as I liked his passion, he did kind of blow. :lol  But that album musically is so great. Any fan of classic DT that has never heard it needs to!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
  Sadly, GM doesn't have a vocalist anymore - 

As much as I liked his passion, he did kind of blow. :lol  But that album musically is so great. Any fan of classic DT that has never heard it needs to!

I didn't find that at all.  It's not like he slayed it or anything, but he didn't strike me as a problem either.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, he does add character. To me though, he was clearly the weak link. Often I felt I was listening to him in spite of the poor guy. But he was no means unlistenable.
Your Name In Silence has to be one of the 10 best songs I've heard this decade.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

All I meant is that I'd say it's closer in style to Broken Heart Syndrome, but much better written imo, and still with the heavier / more modern sound of the last one. It just borrows more from classic Whitesnake than 1987 S/T era than the last one, and I think the influence is less blatant and more latent. :P Kinda like modern Whitesnake, really. If you like the last one, I think you should like this one too.

I find it unreal that it borrows from Whitesnake more than the last one, that's quite hard to believe to be honest.  I'm sure I'll like it anyway.

Bruce Dickinson-Balls To Picasso...Haven't heard this in a awhile. I never truly appreciated Bruce until I heard this album

Iced Earth-The Glorious Burden..Had a craving for Gettysburg 1863, especially after driving by the exit. Jon Schaffer absolutely nails this.

A very underrated Bruce album, lots of good songs here.

That Enbound album is quite good, a follow up would be welcome.

Agree with Gettysburg, I love that whole piece, it's amazing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I find it unreal that it borrows from Whitesnake more than the last one, that's quite hard to believe to be honest.  I'm sure I'll like it anyway.

I didn't mean it borrows more from Whitesnake, I meant it borrows from older Whitesnake rather than 1987 era like the last one. Pardon my wording!

I've been listening to the album constantly, and I definitely like it more than the last one. An excellent album.
But the song Straight Shooter is musically almost identical to one of the studio tracks from Live In The Shadow of the Blues. I'm going to make a comparison to see just how close they are.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ok, here's the comparison. Whitesnake - I'll Come Running, and Voodoo Circle - Straight Shooter.

The Whitesnake song is in C, and the Voodoo Circle song is in F, so I pitch shifted them both to the mid point. Other than that, I haven't done any editing to the tempo, only a slight cut every 4 bars or so to stop it drifting off. I also cut the repetitions in the intro so the verses came in at the same time. The chorus of the Voodoo Circle song changes chords at twice the rate of the Whitesnake song, which is why there are gaps at that section. Other than that, as is. Voodoo Circle in the left speaker, Whitesnake in the right. I recommend right-clicking and downloading the file and listening with headphones and playing with the panning for comparison, but either way.

Note in particular the absolutely identical guitar and drum fills from about 55 seconds in.

https://blobvandam.com/link/whitefake.mp3

What are the chances this is a coincidence? :lol

(By the way, please don't let this put you off the album, because it's excellent, this is just a one off copy)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:42:27 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Whats the best Voodoo Circle album so far?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
That Enbound album is quite good, a follow up would be welcome.

Yup, it's the only song Tim managed to send me in my roulette, but damn, I finally got around to buy and spin this album and I've been listening to it this whole week. Fantastic stuff.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Coolcat

• I love ALL kids!!
  • I Love Babies!!
Anyone else love Cool Cat loves to Rock by Cool Cat Savage? To me, it's up there with Pull Me Under by Dreem Theatre and Ain't Talkin Bout Love by Van Halen!  :metal
"If you weren't a bully, you would have friends and friends are Coooooolll!!!" - me

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gun-self-defense-for-women#/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The ride home from Atlanta. The second half of my A-Z listen.

King Diamond-Give Me Your Soul..Please...Musically a perfect metal album. Perfect!
Lost Horizon-A Flame To The Ground Beneath...Anyone reading this that does not already have this needs to get it now!
Michael Schenker Group-Assault Attack...As strong as Birch's production is, he completely loses Schenker's tone. And Bonnet..ouch!
Nightmare World-In The Fullness Of Time....Better than I remembered it being when I first bought it
Ozzy Osbourne-Bark At The Moon...Waiting For Darkness is my 2nd fave Ozzy tune
Paul Stanley-s/t...This is a GREAT album
Queensryche-Warning..Geoff Tate..Holy hell!
Redemption-Snowfall On Judgement Day...Poor Ray has to sing such sappy lyrics from both Jim and Nick
Saxon-Battering Ram...Can't believe they are still making music this good
TAC Roulette-Round 1... That was fun!
UFO-A Conspiracy Of Stars..Best Vinnie album solo-wise, but IMO, the Vinnie era has been a huge disappointment
Van Halen-Fair Warning...Hadn't heard this in awhile
Waysted-Vices...A TAC Classic
Eternity X-The Edge...The album Savatage could never make
Yngwie Malmsteen-Perpetual Flame...Hey, I like it!
Zipper Catches Skin-Alice Cooper...the only album or artist on my iPod that started with Z

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So much win right there Tim.

That KD is killer.  At first I was underwhelmed but it's aged really well and is a solid album.
Amazing Lost Horizon album of course.
That Eternity X album is pretty damn good.
I really like that Malmsteen one too, it's great.
Still have to listen to that MSG but hey, I got Spotify.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaYf0OGN68Y

New Primal Fear song. This one is too cheesy silly power metal for me, but I'm still listening to The End is Near a lot, so I'm hoping for more songs like that on the album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
That worked plenty for me, but yeah... lyrics are incredibly cheesy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fucking solid.  Reminds me a lot of Dream Evil for some reason, the chrous I think.

Don't worry too much Blob, they always have one or two of these cheesy metal anthems on every album.

Offline Art

Pretty cool.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That worked plenty for me, but yeah... lyrics are incredibly cheesy.

They always are for these type of songs they do.  I'm not too worried about it.  There was a couple of stinkers in the lyric department on the last album too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
20% off CDs and DVDs at JB today.............might interest you Kade.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, when is the next DTF Podcast?

"TimfromBoston" is requesting another Nation track!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:55:03 PM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Brent, when is the next DTF Podcast?

I am on target with that. I think I said I was aiming for one every 2-4 weeks in the original post and I am 80% done on #2.....(#1 was 23rd November)......so we will make the lower end of that target range.   :)   

More editing to do as Ben wasn't quite so co-operative this time around :lol

Glad you're looking forward to it (and thanks for all the feedback) - knowing that others also miss "radio shows" like this is the motivation to keep it going.

Just saw your edit..............okay - can add in another Nation track.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

More editing to do as Ben wasn't quite so co-operative this time around :lol

So it's only going to be a Ben's Five instead of a Ben's Ten? :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Hmm...not much on the site that I would order, but I might pop in to a store travelling between work venues and have a look.  Still need to get my hands on the Stryper.

And what the hell can't we get the new Rush DVD?!  Don't understand.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

You're not helping with Wolf's addiction lol