Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896577 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Now playing........

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If I was to rank the Stryper with the WASP and Queensryche it would come in 3rd but it's a solid album.  Another album that starts strong , has a mid section (lengthy) lull and then fires up for a couple of great tracks at the end.    Cut three or four filler tracks of the 12 and I would enjoy it a lot more.   Rating around 80%
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
OK after two and a bit listens I'll go with a rating of 86% (compared to the s/t at 81%).   

After playing the new Queensryche in the car for a couple of hours today I would say the 86% gets upgraded to somewhere in the low 90's.    If I was to nitpick the rhythm guitars could do with a little more prominence in the mix at times and some of the guitar solos sound wrong/incomplete.  At times it seems like Wilton is playing the low half of one of his old harmonies with DeGarmo, only DeGarmo ain't there.  There's some WTF moments with those guitar solos .

But as I said - that's nitpicking and it's a really strong album that would've slotted in nicely between Empire and Promised Land.    :metal 

Big score mate, looking forward to it.  Is the WTF moments with the solos a good or bad thing?

If I was to rank the Stryper with the WASP and Queensryche it would come in 3rd but it's a solid album.  Another album that starts strong , has a mid section (lengthy) lull and then fires up for a couple of great tracks at the end.    Cut three or four filler tracks of the 12 and I would enjoy it a lot more.   Rating around 80%

Not as good as No More Hell to Pay then?

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK after two and a bit listens I'll go with a rating of 86% (compared to the s/t at 81%).   

After playing the new Queensryche in the car for a couple of hours today I would say the 86% gets upgraded to somewhere in the low 90's.    If I was to nitpick the rhythm guitars could do with a little more prominence in the mix at times and some of the guitar solos sound wrong/incomplete.  At times it seems like Wilton is playing the low half of one of his old harmonies with DeGarmo, only DeGarmo ain't there.  There's some WTF moments with those guitar solos .

But as I said - that's nitpicking and it's a really strong album that would've slotted in nicely between Empire and Promised Land.    :metal 

Big score mate, looking forward to it.  Is the WTF moments with the solos a good or bad thing?

Not as good as No More Hell to Pay then?

I would say the Stryper gets a similar rating to the last one.

As far as the Queensryche guitar solos - the WTF moments are in a bad way.   Not enough to ruin any songs really but there were a number of times when the solo could've/should've resolved a certain way to go to another level and didn't and it just left me flat.  And like I mentioned some of them sound like a double guitar harmony with the high guitar missing......doesn't sound right.

I'm sure many of the solos I have recorded over the years are shite too , but I dunno..........some of the solos on this record sound amateurish.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
If the Stryper is anything similar to NMHTP, I'll be happy.

The 16th will be a good music day- Stryper, Saxon and CIIC.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Absolutely to all of this mate.

That's not good regarding the Ryche solos.

Offline Lowdz

Absolutely to all of this mate.

That's not good regarding the Ryche solos.

I do know what you mean regarding the solos. Most of them are fine but some do sound a bit stilted, as though they are trying to do a QR style solo rather than it be natural. Nothing that ruined my enjoyment but they stood out.

I really like the album but I have done a cd for the car with several of the tracks from the st on the end and I find myself preferring the st tracks. There's more variety in sounds and pace. Still, the new one is light years ahead of anything from after Promised Land, maybe even since Empire up to the st.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm just glad there is minor nit picking over the new Queensryche songs and that overall, everyone is enjoying it.

It could be much worse.  We could be upset over the hunk of junk "The Stranger" being the newest Queensryche.

Offline Lowdz

I'm just glad there is minor nit picking over the new Queensryche songs and that overall, everyone is enjoying it.

It could be much worse.  We could be upset over the hunk of junk "The Stranger" being the newest Queensryche.

True jay. It's pretty rare for an album to get such all round love as this is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I really like the album but I have done a cd for the car with several of the tracks from the st on the end and I find myself preferring the st tracks. There's more variety in sounds and pace. Still, the new one is light years ahead of anything from after Promised Land, maybe even since Empire up to the st.

Funny you say that about the s/t. I had my first (and only so far) listen to the new album, and I felt like I immediately needed to hear the s/t.

Holy hell does Todd sound like Geoff! If I just awoke from a 20 year coma, I seriously would've had no idea it was a different singer. Seriously.

And regarding the solos, only once did I feel the solo-er tripped over himself, but I also remember one of them was shredtastic. But overall, I didn't have a problem. They even recreated the dual solos like the did in the past and I thought for the most part they sounded pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

The only part of the album that doesn't do it for me is the beginning of Selfish lives. It sounds a bit like what Tates crew would do. QR still do it better and it picks up after the opening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The only part of the album that doesn't do it for me is the beginning of Selfish lives. It sounds a bit like what Tates crew would do. QR still do it better and it picks up after the opening.

It's fine. Aren't there a few of those spoken moments on the album? Seems like a Queensryche-ish thing to do.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

Yeah, they've always been there. Tates latest effort is talking all the way through, except for the song some other guy sings.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, they've always been there. Tates latest effort is talking all the way through, except for the song some other guy sings.

I wouldn't know!

:neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought I noticed a different voice in there somewhere in my first and last listen of that album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

That was likely what annoyed me about my first listen to Selfish Lives but after a while I thought that song was good - still at the weak end though.

As far as the solos go , much of it would only be picked up on by nitpicking musos  :lol   But to me it's even clearer on this album than the last that part of the secret sauce of classic Queensryche ain't there.   Everything else though I'm on board with and obviously I wouldn't be rating things 90%+ if it was a huge issue.  Of course some of the solos are quite good too .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll definitely give my point of view on the solos too next week when I hopefully find this cd instore.  Looking forward to hearing them really.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I wouldn't know!

:neverusethis:

Me either... there's too much GREAT music out there to listen to and discover.  Hell, I don't even wanna spend my time on good/average music.  I'm sure as shit not going to waste my time on tripe.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gazinwales

I'm the same, all these bands that are past their use by date.
By that I mean they've released classics in the past and no matter how great the 'new' one is, it's nowhere near their best works.
Many bands I do not bother buying new material anymore, as I already have enough on my shelf that is better.
I can rattle off, Queensryche, Rush, Megadeth, Metallica and a dozen more.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Looks like the new Saxon has been pushed back 2 weeks.
https://bravewords.com/news/saxon-premier-queen-of-hearts-lyric-video-new-release-date-set-for-battering-ram-album

Gaz, you haven't given up on Saxon, have you? Their last half dozen albums have been spectacular!

I predict that Queen Of Hearts will be the worst song on the new album. Yikes.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I am off to see KISS and The Dead Daisies (J. Pearl, Mendoza, Tichy etc...) tonight with my dear sister , who is my regular concert companion.  Brainwashing siblings comes in handy later in life  :metal   

I am not expecting much as Stanley's voice seems shot but it'll be cool for one last time.  It's as much about just being there and seeing the crowd - the fact that they're bringing out their biggest show ever in terms of pyro/spider stage won't hurt either.  As usual it will be a spectacle at the very least,.

Packing up the house I found a couple of old KISS items I somehow hung onto  .................going to use my KISS comb (must be 35 years old) to get my hair out of the way so I can get that cool bandana on.....not  :lol

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 04:58:12 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome Brent. (The concert, not the bandana ;D)
The setlist looks pretty good. Heavy on the Creatures stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting to hear what you think of The Dead Daisies too.

Offline gazinwales

https://bravewords.com/news/saxon-premier-queen-of-hearts-lyric-video-new-release-date-set-for-battering-ram-album

Gaz, you haven't given up on Saxon, have you? Their last half dozen albums have been spectacular!

Actually never been a Saxon fan at all.
Saw the live at Bloodstock 2005 and were pretty good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Tim, you didn't like Queen of Hearts?  I really like it

Offline Lowdz

Awesome Brent. (The concert, not the bandana ;D)
The setlist looks pretty good. Heavy on the Creatures stuff.

Cool. I'd given up on KISS changing up the setlist. Don't think I'd want to hear
Paul attempt I Still Love You these days though.
When it comes to Creatures, side one is > side two. ILiL is very overrated.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Tim, you didn't like Queen of Hearts?  I really like it

Yeah, what's up?  Just listened to it and I thought it was stellar.  Great atmosphere and love the riffing.  Looking forward to this album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The riff was awesome, but I thought the song was pretty weak. That's OK. I am so stoked for this album. The title track is awesome!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The riff was awesome, but I thought the song was pretty weak. That's OK. I am so stoked for this album. The title track is awesome!

Try listening to it a few more times.  I think both this song and the title track are awesome.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just back from KISS..........it's very late and I can't do much in the short term (we are without power for much of the the next 12-18 hrs) but I will get some pics and video up soonish.

Really fun gig and as per usual the Melbourne KISS Army came out in force (about 10,000 and the same tomorrow night) and KISS responded. Aside from Paul's vocals , which were scratchy (but not quite as bad as I feared) it was an almost perfect night.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Just back from KISS..........it's very late and I can't do much in the short term (we are without power for much of the the next 12-18 hrs) but I will get some pics and video up soonish.

Really fun gig and as per usual the Melbourne KISS Army came out in force (about 10,000 and the same tomorrow night) and KISS responded. Aside from Paul's vocals , which were scratchy (but not quite as bad as I feared) it was an almost perfect night.

Glad you had a great time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like a good night!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Good stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 I will hopefully have a chance to listen to the bonus Queensryche track Espiritu Muerto from the Jap edition tonight - will report back.  Unfortunately the other two bonus tracks only come with the deluxe vinyl edition :(

EDIT : Actually just caught a listen now and yes...........worth having.  Interesting track that will need a few listens to sink in but i like it on first listen. 

If anyone has ponied up for the regular version and doesn't want to buy the jap version too (or the extra track online) , then PM me  ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:31:11 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au